Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,667 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? (15069 Views)

Jonathan Made Osinbajo’s Tour Of Niger Delta A Success - Niger Delta Militants / Chantal Biya Vs Dolapo Osinbajo: A Meeting Of Two Contrasting Women (Photos) / Ambode Pays VP-Elect, Osinbajo A Congratulatory Visit in Abuja (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:01pm On Jan 27, 2015
Who made Osinbajo a Professor at UniLag? He does not seem to possess a terminal degree. So how did he become a professor at UniLag with just an MSc degree?

Is that how they award professorships at UniLag or is it quota system professorship to fulfill Awolowo's quota, given his relationship with the later?

Could his lack of a PhD degree (yet claiming professor) be the reason he is willing to work under Buhari who is school certificate-less?

If Indeed Osinbajo has no PhD, who then are his students; has he as a ''professor'' supervised PhD students in the past (only in Nigeria would a non-PhD ''professor'' supervise PhD students for the purpose of awarding the degree)?

I dey laff ohh!!!!

13 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:02pm On Jan 27, 2015
Education[edit]

Yemi attended Corona School for his primary school education. Between 1969- 1975, he attended Igbobi College Yaba where he won the following prizes- the winner of the State Merit Award 1971; the School Prize for English Oratory, 1972; Adeoba Prize for English Oratory 1972-1975; Elias Prize for Best Performance in History (WASC) – 1973, School Prize for Literature (HSC), 1975; African Statesman Intercollegiate Best Speaker’s Prize, 1974.

Between 1975-1978, he proceeded to the University of Lagos where we was awarded an LLB. In obtaining a Second Class Upper Degree, he received the Graham-Douglas Prize for Commercial Law. In 1979, he undertook the mandatory one year professional training at the Nigerian Law School prior to being admitted to practise as a barrister and solicitor of Nigeria's Supreme Court. In 1980, he attended the London School of Economics & Political Science, where he obtained a Master of Laws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemi_Osinbajo#Education

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by simpleseyi: 4:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
Another fool just escaped from the gate of hell when our pastor opened the gate with the key he holds.

Wole Soyinka has no MSc, he is a African most celebrated Professor. Go and use google, I am not here to lecture you.

62 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:07pm On Jan 27, 2015
simpleseyi:

Wole Soyinka has no MSc, he is a African most celebrated Professor. Go and use google, I am not here to lecture you.

Yes, I know that both Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe do not have PhD degrees. But that was many years ago when Nigeria was undeveloped and when anything goes. Moreover, that was in Literature studies, not a relatively more intellectually tasking discipline such as Law. In contrast, Yemi is a much younger person compared to Wole and Achebe, and all his peers who are professors have PhDs. Can you mention any Nigerian professor of Yemi's age without a PhD?

13 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2015
simpleseyi:

he is a African most celebrated Professor. .

According to who?

11 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:15pm On Jan 27, 2015
He (Yemi) became a Professor of Law in 1990 at the age of 33

1990 was just yesterday (so to speak); could you have become a prof then without a PhD, even in Nigeria?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Johnnyessence(m): 4:15pm On Jan 27, 2015
Francis5:

Yes, I know that both Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe do not have PhD degrees. But that was many years ago when Nigeria was undeveloped and when anything goes. Moreover, that was in Literature studies, not a relatively more intellectually tasking discipline such as Law. In contrast, Yemi is a much younger person compared to Wole and Achebe, and all his peers who are professors have PhDs. Can you mention any Nigerian professor of Yemi's age without a PhD?

he obtained his PhD in unilag hmmmmmmm
Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:18pm On Jan 27, 2015
MSc 1980-1982
Professor 1990
Just 8 years after MSc, and without a PhD.

These fake academic positions you people are sharing, there is God oh!!!!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:19pm On Jan 27, 2015
Johnnyessence:
he obtained his PhD in unilag hmmmmmmm

Can you provide a source?

6 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:27pm On Jan 27, 2015
Osinbajo, please tell us how you became a professor cheesy cheesy cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by simpleseyi: 4:40pm On Jan 27, 2015
Francis5:
Osinbajo, please tell us how you became a professor cheesy cheesy cheesy

Do you want to see Osinbajo WAEC statement of result also? Don't start what you cannot end ooo. Remember that Namadi Samboribodo does not have BSc and MSc result also, what he included in the INEC form is a sworn affidavit that fire don burn the certificates.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by emmasege: 4:40pm On Jan 27, 2015
I hope it's not true that he lacks a PhD. Notwithstanding, a very distinguished scholar in the class of Soyinka & Achebe needs not have a PhD to be ranked a professor. But Yemi obviously falls below the class. This is why some European scholars use Prof (Dr) as their title. PhD is prestigous & earned. You can hardly be stripped of PhD which is recognized anywhere in the world irrespective of where it is obtained. A Prof in LAUTECH may not rank more than a senior lecturer in UI/OAU, but he can't be stripped of his PhD.
@OP, a professor with no PhD is not qualified to supervise/examine a PhD candidate in an ideal situation and I doubt if Wole Soyinka ever supervised a PhD student.

10 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by ARKdiscloser7(m): 4:42pm On Jan 27, 2015
After I had an encounter with one professor Oyedekun at Ibadan few years ago, my respect for professors especially those from the south west diminished.
Its like they share professorship with reckless abandon ( just to prove a point)

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:46pm On Jan 27, 2015
simpleseyi:

Do you want to see Osinbajo WAEC statement of result also? Don't start what you cannot end ooo. Remember that Namadi Samboribodo does not have BSc and MSc result also, what he included in the INEC form is a sworn affidavit that fire don burn the certificates.
No I do not want to see his certificates. I believe he has them, up to MSc. What I am asking is what did he do to become a professor of law at UniLag in 1990, just after 8 years of completing his MSc and without a PhD.

13 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:48pm On Jan 27, 2015
emmasege:
I hope it's not true that he lacks a PhD. Notwithstanding, a very distinguished scholar in the class of Soyinka & Achebe needs not have a PhD to be ranked a professor. But Yemi obviously falls below the class. This is why some European scholars use Prof (Dr) as their title. PhD is prestigous & earned. You can hardly be stripped of PhD which is recognized anywhere in the world irrespective of where it is obtained. A Prof in LAUTECH may not rank more than a senior lecturer in UI/OAU, but he can't be stripped of his PhD.
@OP, a professor with no PhD is not qualified to supervise/examine a PhD candidate in an ideal situation and I doubt if Wole Soyinka ever supervised a PhD student.

That is the point I am making. Thank you for understanding.

7 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by enifex(m): 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2015
The History of Buhari’s Both In Military And Civilian With Photos

Larry Diamond is a Senior Research Fellow at the Hoover Institution. He is the author of a forthcoming book, Class, Ethnicity and Democracy in Nigeria: The Failure of the First Nigerian Republic. Currently he is co-editing a multi-authored comparative study of democracy in developing nations. Through the improbable device of a military coup, Nigeria has been delivered from dictatorship.

To be sure, the form of government remains a military regime, and almost certainly will for many years to come. In fact, much of the top leadership remains the same: the August 27 coup d’état was engineered by high-ranking officers #SeeMoreHere of Gen. Buhari history http://nairaland.com/history-buharis-military-civilian/
Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by yakubuomowumi: 4:50pm On Jan 27, 2015
#SCAM Osinbajo

10 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:51pm On Jan 27, 2015
ARKdiscloser7:
After I had an encounter with one professor Oyedekun at Ibadan few years ago, my respect for professors especially those from the south west diminished.
Its like they share professorship with reckless abandon ( just to prove a point)

my respect for NIGERIAN professors especially those from the south west diminished.

Please qualify as ''Nigerian professors''. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 4:53pm On Jan 27, 2015
We must hold our wannabe leaders accountable. We must only replace ''clueless'' GEJ with perfect candidates.

It seems both Buhari and Osinbajo get ''comma'' grin grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by orinocopulse: 4:59pm On Jan 27, 2015
So with all the propaganda running around, I wondered why nobody had found any "dirt" on OSIBANJO. Surely someone must have been assigned to dig up stuff (because talking about real issues are old school).

Since nothing was found on him, Buhari unfortunately had to bare the brunt of the propaganda!!!

Well, finally someone is bold enough to ask some REAL QUESTIONS. How did he become a Professor? Hmmmmmm.

Can we get this trending to keep us busy for a bit. Soludo's article threatens to force us to talk "boring real issues" so we need something to distract us! Good job OP!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Xwaggzdude: 4:59pm On Jan 27, 2015
simpleseyi:
Another fool just escaped from the gate of hell when our pastor opened the gate with the key he holds.

no mind the fool

3 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Francis5: 5:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
Xwaggzdude:
no mind the fool

Obviously, you must be an intellectual midget to assume that asking how a non-PhD holder became a professor of Law in Unilag in 1990, just 8 years after bagging an MSc is unimportant.

7 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Ramnon2: 5:05pm On Jan 27, 2015
Wow! So Osinbade (Buhari's version of Osinbajo) is a fake professor? cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by obailala(m): 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2015
Francis5:

Another Jonathanian on the loose blabbing opata. So you know what is quoted above and you still opened this thread to do what?... When last did you take your drugs? angry

4 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by manny4life(m): 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2015
Honestly, please you people should quit this. There are more pressing issues plaguing our economy, as well as other problems. Whether a professor at UNILAG or not, this isn't a core issue.

1 Like

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Ramnon2: 5:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
simpleseyi:

It is true that both Achebe and Soyinka do not have MSc degrees, yet are referred to as professors. But they both have deep global recognition that warranted several foreign universities to make them ''honorary professors''. So while theirs is excusable, what excuse does Osinbajo have to become a prof in 1990 without a PhD? Unless of course he is an ''honorary professor'' at unilag. Lol

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by ntyce(m): 5:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
Francis5:

Did Oshinbajo put the info on Wikipedia?
has Unilag denounced or renounced his PhD?

However, I think he had his Doctorate at LASU - not so sure though.

4 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by ntyce(m): 5:23pm On Jan 27, 2015
Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Ramnon2: 5:25pm On Jan 27, 2015
manny4life:
Honestly, please you people should quit this. There are more pressing issues plaguing our economy, as well as other problems. Whether a professor at UNILAG or not, this isn't a core issue.

There is really nothing both GEJ and GMB can do to the economy. They are both incompetent and the Nigerian masses are far too sold to corruption, incompetence and anything-goes for them to ask the critical questions and demand answers. So, in the absence of a credible candidate, let's make the most comic situation we can out of GEJ and GMB: two clowns leading or wanting to lead a country of 170 million in-country clowns.

5 Likes

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Ramnon2: 5:26pm On Jan 27, 2015
ntyce:

Did Oshinbajo put the info on Wikipedia?
has Unilag denounced or renounced his PhD?

However, I think he had his Doctorate at LASU - not so sure though.

Hah. The other person said UniLag now you say Lasu

As for Wikipedia, you cannot let people put a wrong information about yourself on cyberspace. So Osinbajo either put those information there himself, or he approved them to be put by a proxy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by Ramnon2: 5:29pm On Jan 27, 2015
Confirmed he has no PhD

Vanguard

His tertiary education was at the University of Lagos and the London School of Economics where he obtained the LLB and LLM degrees respectively. - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/meet-buharis-running-mate-prof-yemi-Osinbajo/#sthash.r21NZ2YK.dpuf

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? by omonnakoda: 5:38pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nigerians misuse the word professor. In the US system a professors means any university teacher i.e lecturer

Thi is quite different form having tenure or a professorial chair
In Nigeria we use the British system to refer to those IN a university chair as Professors. It is NOT a title yo can take home with you as Nigerians often do. If you leave the post you are no longer a Professor simple though friends may call you professor strictly speaking If you are NOT in a chair YOU ARE NOT A PROFESSOR whether you are Soyinka ,Achebe or Einstein

I think the issue here is whether he has been a professor at an earlier time . I do not know but usually you require a PhD unless you have an outstanding contribution to the discipline and scholarship

The other issue is that of visiting professors This is not a chair ad it is not right for these people to present themselves as Professors and in my view it is dishonest for such people to perpetually present themselves as professors

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biafrans' One Million Man Match - Pictures From Yenegoa / Welcome Home Party Held For Oshiomhole At Iyamho / Why Are Our Ministers Mute On National Duties Since Buhari's Departure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.