Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,901 members, 7,838,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. (7045 Views)

This 5-year-old Chinese Girl Has A Burden On Her Fragile Little Shoulders (pics) / 7 Struggles Every Firstborn Child Can Totally Relate To (Pics). / 7 Struggles Every Firstborn Child Can Totally Relate To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by roughneck: 11:46am On Mar 17, 2015
Its not just abt being rich or poor. Everyone expects so much from firstborn.. To be successful, to lead, to be responsible, loyalty to the family and so on. It could be overwhelming but challenging enough for you to make it good in life. I've always taken responsibility for my siblings from a very tender age, I remember saving from my pocket money in uni just to buy them cool stuff so it's nothing new to me now that I'm all grown up and working. And by the way it could be rewarding. Lil sis sends recharge cards occasionally to me from her youth service post. Its not like I need it but I guess she is just trying to say "thank you bro"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Agrika: 8:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
Being the "first" in anything is not easy, most especially in a typical African family setting...

my elder sister, is the first born of the family...and it wasn't easy for her most especially when we were kids (I ensured to that embarassed)...most of d times she gets blamed for things we did...had zero to no social life as a teen cos she was always at home taking care of the kids...and as the Ada of a family of 7 kids she had to lead by example...today she is married and the hubby doesn't joke with her, despite she is married with kids she still "sends" to my parents and even to me who is happily married...the last time I visited her this woman enter room begin dey bring pant, bra, shoes etc.. wey she buy for me, for my mind I was like d woman no know say her sister is not the little girl she knew yesterday ooo... lol...God bless her for me.
For my elder bros it wasn't any easier for him either, although d only difference is dat my Dad shielded him from shouldering all the responsibilities...but d guy dey try no be small...despite the fact am married, he too still "sends"...he called me the other day and was asking for my size in gown...that's a bachelor ooo...he is so selfless and so caring...so unworldly.
Inshort God bless all first sons and daughters e no easy abeg

5 Likes

Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 17, 2015
Responsibilities abound, but then, you have to face them.
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Lateralmaths(m): 12:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
roughneck:
Its not just abt being rich or poor. Everyone expects so much from firstborn.. To be successful, to lead, to be responsible, loyalty to the family and so on. It could be overwhelming but challenging enough for you to make it good in life. I've always taken responsibility for my siblings from a very tender age, I remember saving from my pocket money in uni just to buy them cool stuff so it's nothing new to me now that I'm all grown up and working. And by the way it could be rewarding. Lil sis sends recharge cards occasionally to me from her youth service post. Its not like I need it but I guess she is just trying to say "thank you bro"
that's great.
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Lateralmaths(m): 12:35pm On Mar 20, 2015
Agrika:
Being the "first" in anything is not easy, most especially in a typical African family setting...

my elder sister, is the first born of the family...and it wasn't easy for her most especially when we were kids (I ensured to that embarassed)...most of d times she gets blamed for things we did...had zero to no social life as a teen cos she was always at home taking care of the kids...and as the Ada of a family of 7 kids she had to lead by example...today she is married and the hubby doesn't joke with her, despite she is married with kids she still "sends" to my parents and even to me who is happily married...the last time I visited her this woman enter room begin dey bring pant, bra, shoes etc.. wey she buy for me, for my mind I was like d woman no know say her sister is not the little girl she knew yesterday ooo... lol...God bless her for me.
For my elder bros it wasn't any easier for him either, although d only difference is dat my Dad shielded him from shouldering all the responsibilities...but d guy dey try no be small...despite the fact am married, he too still "sends"...he called me the other day and was asking for my size in gown...that's a bachelor ooo...he is so selfless and so caring...so unworldly.
Inshort God bless all first sons and daughters e no easy abeg
you are lucky to have them.

1 Like

Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by brainiac5(m): 6:58pm On Mar 20, 2015
What of being the first and only child. Being put in the middle of everything

1 Like

Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by brainiac5(m): 7:00pm On Mar 20, 2015
cryWhat of being the first and only child. Being put in the middle of everything
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by PrettyClare7(f): 6:34am On Mar 21, 2015
for me it is not a burden because i love responsibility i love being @ the helm of affairs. I run from pillar to post all the time trying to do this and do that. I was brought up that way and responsibility mounts daily. Everyone looks upto me daily to do this or do that. My only problem is dat apart frm my bf my life revolves around my family. I love outdoor games bt no time i hv very few frnds who hardly visit and whom i hardly visit. I dont chat on d social media its not my thing. I prefer real communication. My social life is in a mess. My only interest lies in reading. Reading posts is the reason i joined NL
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by PrettyClare7(f): 6:37am On Mar 21, 2015
brainiac5:
What of being the first and only child. Being put in the middle of everything
wow there will be so much pressure
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Lateralmaths(m): 4:51am On Mar 24, 2015
brainiac5:
cryWhat of being the first and only child. Being put in the middle of everything
that would be pressure overload.
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Lateralmaths(m): 4:53am On Mar 24, 2015
PrettyClare7:
for me it is not a burden because i love responsibility i love being @ the helm of affairs. I run from pillar to post all the time trying to do this and do that. I was brought up that way and responsibility mounts daily. Everyone looks upto me daily to do this or do that. My only problem is dat apart frm my bf my life revolves around my family. I love outdoor games bt no time i hv very few frnds who hardly visit and whom i hardly visit. I dont chat on d social media its not my thing. I prefer real communication. My social life is in a mess. My only interest lies in reading. Reading posts is the reason i joined NL
Is it not burdensome when everyone looks up to you?
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Rotime1(m): 7:09am On Mar 24, 2015
well, being a first born is not a burden, but a respectful responsibility conferred on you by nature and that requires grace of God. you should be happy to be one my friend. that is the way i see it though as i am a first born too with three bros. one sis. and two children of mine and grace have been helping to cope well plus the two retired parents. thanks.
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by PrettyClare7(f): 5:53pm On Mar 24, 2015
Lateralmaths:
I have gotten used to it. cool
Lateralmaths:
I have gotten used to it. what other options do I hv
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Essaswtcious(f): 10:18am On Apr 02, 2015
weezii
Am cool,
Tryna pave way for maself n family..
1st born no be beans, but to come people na better moin moin ;

Don't worry Weezil, the Lord is your strength and muscle.
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by 5minsmadness: 10:48am On Apr 02, 2015
Lateralmaths:
like seriously
grin
Na this answer you dey find grin
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by 5minsmadness: 10:50am On Apr 02, 2015
benuejosh:
Has never been so with me, my Dad wanted me to be a doctor made all efforts of me accepting the course i refused and i did Economics. he said Oya do ICAN, for where that one ma i no gree. for my younger ones he pays for their school fees and do things he should do as a father, the only time i come in is when my younger ones come to me that they need LITTLE money as per elder bro na. and our last born each time i go out with her i dare not pass near or go with her to a supermarket. well maybe for now as my both parents are still living they are taken care of the family issue till when they are no more then i can take charge. am living my own dreams for now.
Stubborn child angry
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by weezii(m): 11:18am On Apr 02, 2015
Essaswtcious:
weezii
Am cool,
Tryna pave way for maself n family..
1st born no be beans, but to come people na better moin moin ;

Don't worry Weezil, the Lord is your strength and muscle.
Thanks dearie; its already getting better

1 Like

Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by 5minsmadness: 1:48pm On Apr 02, 2015
Everything has already been said I guess.
Being first-born means you are the first person everybody within and outside the family looks upon when things are going haywire. In my case I was lucky to avoid all the hassles of lookin after my younger siblings in a financial capacity as my parents made sure we were well taken care of right up to university level. My burden has come more from social pressures, keeping up the family image, protecting my younger ones from violent people in school and the like. Making sure they have good accommodation after school and stuff like that.
Also Everyone of my dad's friends look up to me cos they expect me to follow the footsteps of my dad (he was a doctor) but I have struggled to follow a different path and I am not regretting it.
Truth is the man was a mean dungeon master and most of us are far off from him but now he is in his old years he is looking for how to come close to us, the rest of my siblings made sure they settled far from him but being the senior son and knowing one day I'll be called by the elders to give account of my dad, I decided to settle close by. I have to take care of him cos he's my dad though he messed up so much in different areas. The elders be like 'we can pardon your younger ones if they abandon this man but we can't pardon you cos you are the first-born.' Then they start bringing up all this traditional bullsh1t and I want to tell them to go to hell.

But whatever he's done he's my dad and I have to take care of him. The others are allowed to go scott free but I have to take care of the dungeon-master. I guess my burden is more emotional/social than financial, at least for now.
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Feraz(m): 7:03pm On Apr 02, 2015
5minsmadness:
Being first-born means you are the first person everybody within and outside the family looks upon when things are going haywire. In my case I was lucky to avoid all the hassles of lookin after my younger siblings in a financial capacity as my parents made sure we were well taken care of right up to university level. My burden has come more from social pressures, keeping up the family image, protecting my younger ones from violent people in school and the like. Making sure they have good accommodation after school and stuff like that.
Also Everyone of my dad's friends look up to me cos they expect me to follow the footsteps of my dad (he was a doctor) but I have struggled to follow a different path and I am not regretting it.
Truth is the man was a mean dungeon master and most of us are far off from him but now he is in his old years he is looking for how to come close to us, the rest of my siblings made sure they settled far from him but being the senior son and knowing one day I'll be called by the elders to give account of my dad, I decided to settle close by. I have to take care of him cos he's my dad though he messed up so much in different areas. The elders be like 'we can pardon your younger ones if they abandon this man but we can't pardon you cos you are the first-born.' Then they start bringing up all this traditional bullsh1t and I want to tell them to go to hell.

But whatever he's done he's my dad and I have to take care of him. The others are allowed to go scott free but I have to take care of the dungeon-master. I guess my burden is more emotional/social than financial, at least for now.
I guess first sons too do not have it easy.
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by weezii(m): 7:44pm On Apr 02, 2015
Feraz:
I guess first sons too do not have it easy.
They DON'T. Not always
Re: Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. by Lateralmaths(m): 10:15am On Apr 07, 2015
5minsmadness:

well said

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Am Giving Away 50k To 5 Women / Pregnant And Mothers Only / Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy / Would You Do A DNA Testing On Your Kids?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.