Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Most Underrated Sport Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Underrated Sport Cars (3180 Views)

Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Underrated Sport Cars by nurey(m): 8:01am On Jan 28, 2015
when you find this cars on your street or neighborhood, respect them, they may not pack the highest horse power but they ain't no slouch when its time to give you a run for your money. And most importantly, never under estimate their driver-ability and handling and for those of you who own one, you get mouth cool and those yet to own, God will provide grin.

1. BMW E39 540I is part of the brand's long-lived 5 Series lineup. Produced between 1995 and 2003, this often forgotten model featured a nearly 300-hp, 4.4-liter V-8 and a lightweight aluminum suspension. When paired with the M Sport package, it was a great alternative to the higher-priced, less fuel-efficient M5 of the time. i have always under estimate this ride because i thought it was just a chunky piece of metal.

2. CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06
The fifth-generation Corvette Z06 didn't carry as much under the hood as today's 650-hp model, but it did feature major improvements when compared to its predecessor. Its 5.7-liter small-block V-8 engine packed 405 hp, up 55 ponies from the previous year, and it still managed to return decent fuel economy. Excellent cornering and a sonorous exhaust note sealed the deal. i already know how good this car is especially if you are a game freak (NEED4SPEED series).

3.CHRYSLER 300 SRT8
A sleeper sedan if there ever there was one, the Chrysler 300 SRT8 is much faster than it looks. Its 6.4-liter V-8 produced a total of 470 hp, and it's capable of hitting 60 mph in 4.3 seconds. This performance is complemented by a comfortable, spacious, and luxurious cabin. for we car enthusiast we know what the HEMI stamped variant can also do.

4.CHEVROLET SS
The Chevy SS looks like a Malibu but screams like a 'Vette. And that is no surprise, considering the SS has a Corvette-derived 6.2-liter V-8 engine capable of delivering 415 horsepower under the hood. Despite its nearly 4,000-pound body, the SS manages to hit 60 mph in around 4.5 seconds. A new six-speed manual transmission should increase its legitimacy as a top sports car in its segment.

5.DODGE CHALLENGER SXT
Everyone might want the 707-horsepower Challenger Hellcat, but when it comes down to numbers, most buyers will end up opting for the V-6 model. Even the base SXT model holds its own on the track thanks to the smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission, which is paired with the 3.6-liter V-6 engine good for 305 horsepower. Fuel economy hits 30 mpg on the highway, making it a practical choice for everyday drivers. when i saw this car on road, whoa it may be a sports car but it freakingly huge just stay clear of its path.

6. 2005-2010 FORD MUSTANG
When examining the Mustang's rich 50-year history, enthusiasts often overlook the start of the fifth generation. Ford took a bold risk on the 2005 Mustang, deviating almost completely from the previous generation with its modern shape and mostly reworked chassis. (It took one more redesign in 2015 to get independent rear suspension.) Along with a boost in performance, this Mustang also featured improved ergonomics and higher quality interior materials. i love the middle brake light which screams mustang when on.

7.HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE
The Genesis Coupe may not offer a V-8 like the sedan variant, but it brings hearty V-6 acceleration and excellent handling. R-Spec and Ultimate versions of this model come with larger brakes and a track-tuned suspension.

8. LEXUS GS
Although not a bona fide sports car, the GS's engaging ride could have fooled us for a second. Available with an F Sport package, the GS can hit 60 seconds in just 5.5 seconds thanks to its powerful 306-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 engine. The true sports car -- the GS F is on its way and will bring 467 horses when it arrives.

9. MAZDA MX-5 MIATA
Although it doesn't match the competition in terms of horsepower, the Miata stands out for its superior handling characteristics. It also has one of the best manual transmissions you can find anywhere. Interest in it has faded a bit as its design has grown long in the tooth. Expect even better performance for the 2016 model year, when the storied Miata receives a stiffer chassis, a revised suspension, and a lighter, fully redesigned body.

10. MAZDA RX-7
The 1967 Mazda Cosmo Sport officially introduced the world to the first production rotary engine, but it was the RX-7's rotary that later made a big impression on the industry. The car's sprightly acceleration, road-hugging drive experience, and excellent throttle response captured the hearts of enthusiasts. Rumors persist to this day that Mazda is looking for a way to bring back the RX-7 -- along with its rotary engine.

11.TOYOTA CELICA
This affordable sports car provides excellent steering and a balanced ride. Despite its long legacy dating back to 1970, it is often overlooked when compared to the Ford Mustang, Mitsubishi Eclipse, or even Toyota's own Supra.

12.TESLA ROADSTER
Tesla's biggest success story is the Model S sedan, but there is no doubt that the Roadster -- the company's first all-electric car -- also played a large role in shaping the company. In standard guise, the Roadster packed just 248 horsepower but could hit 60 mph in under 4 seconds, Tesla claimed. Drivers could travel up to 227 miles without having to recharge, but this number will increase to 400 miles thanks to a new upgrade available on the car starting this year.

13. PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO S
Many deride the Panamera for its odd looks, preferring the shapely 911. But the Panamera Turbo S brings drivers the ultimate mix of performance and comfort. Along with its smooth ride, this posh family hatch offers 570 horsepower from a 4.8-liter V-8 engine. But expect to pay to the tooth a sum of $180,000 (do the maths to naira) to own this baby.

14. SATURN ION REDLINE
The ill-fated Saturn brand had its ups and downs, but it also had a solid sports car. The Ion Redline featured a 205-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that distinguished it significantly from the Ion's standard 145-hp, 2.2-liter offering. That extra boost in horsepower was just enough to get a driver's blood pumping. imagine who ever thought a saturn will be this fast nawa ooh.

15. VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R
This inconspicuous hatchback is more than you might expect from the outside. The first hint of its capabilities comes from the loud roar of its engine. Thanks to its precise steering, plentiful acceleration, and grippy feel, it can take on flashier competitors such as the WRX STI despite its relatively meager 290 horsepower.
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by nurey(m): 8:10am On Jan 28, 2015

Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by nurey(m): 8:14am On Jan 28, 2015
dodge challenger sxt
ford mustang
hyundai genesis
lexus GS

Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by nurey(m): 8:18am On Jan 28, 2015
mazda mx 5 miata
mazda Rx7
toyota celica
tesla roadster

Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by nurey(m): 8:20am On Jan 28, 2015
porsche panamera (me sef wan go panama grin)
saturn
most respected volkswagon golf R

Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by marshalcarter: 8:21am On Jan 28, 2015
JAH bless for puttin ma favourite(BMW)grin
Buh mercedes benz suppose dey here naw
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 28, 2015
Because one drives a 6 cylinder or big V engine and all the aggressive side skirts, with the exhausts as big as channel tunnels? Wait till that keke napep do burnt rubber for you, leaves you at the start line and you meet it at the finish line awaiting your arrival.

Word is, never underestimate anything these days. Even a pencil sharpener can drop 1000bhp to the tarmac easily these days.
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by nurey(m): 8:46am On Jan 28, 2015
marshalcarter:
JAH bless for puttin ma favourite(BMW)grin
Buh mercedes benz suppose dey here naw

This cars are the under rated ones, I don't think anyone in his right mind would under rate a CLK or SLK not to talk of the high end merc.
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by DaimlerBen(m): 6:56am On Jan 30, 2015
American Muscles - the worst-handling sports cars money can buy!
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by billy187(m): 12:22am On Jan 31, 2015
Nice post, however, I really dont think folks will underrate a Corvette or a Challenger. Stock sleepers like the Subaru Legacy GT and the Ford Taurus SHO are much more likely to be underatted.

But then, I surely as heck didnt expect a Saturn on this list.
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by Nobody: 7:41am On Jan 31, 2015
DaimlerBen:
Ford Mustang, Dodge charger hellcat, Dodge challenger SRT, Chrysler 300C Hemi V8, Chevy Cuvette ZL1, Chevy Camaro worst handling sports car money can buy? undecided

Are you sure or you're just assumingor this is outright beefing?

1 Like

Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by DaimlerBen(m): 8:18am On Jan 31, 2015
lomomike:

Ford Mustang, Dodge charger hellcat, Dodge challenger SRT, Chrysler 300C Hemi V8, Chevy Cuvette ZL1, Chevy Camaro worst handling sports car money can buy? undecided

Are you sure or you're just assumingor this is outright beefing?
They just recently upped their game because of the Japanese & Europeans, otherwise it was unheard of for stock American muscles to make a good lap at the Nurburgring. It's so bad, it reflects in games.
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by sultaan(m): 3:18pm On Jan 31, 2015
DaimlerBen:

Nurburgring is a good track in Germany that has been used as a bench mark for sportcar performers by the European manufacturers.The Americans were using Road America and VIR but for them to clearly show the Europeans they make better sport cars for less they started testing on Nurburgring.

Now that the Americans are have a better track time than a Ferrari on the Nurburgring. Originally Americans mainly compare their cars on a quarter mile stretch no one cars how it corners watch fast and furious.The CTSV, ATSV, Corvette, and recently the Camaro Z28 have put up respectable time at the Nurburgring. The only difference I had notice in recent years is that the first CTSv suspension was calibrated on that track and the Mustang had a solid rear until the current model so it drove bad on wet roads

1 Like

Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by chuka5000(m): 3:55pm On Feb 04, 2015
None of those cars is underrated

1 Like

Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by Jacksolo4me(m): 8:05am On Feb 05, 2015
chuka5000:
None of those cars is underrated

I agree, only one who isn't car savvy would go up against those mentioned,

Wheres the Audi RS5(easily mistaken for a luxury slow sedan), that's one car that'll leave ur car, it's shadow and the dust around it, if u think ur EOD v6 or Merc C350 can outrun it grin
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by auhanson(m): 8:01am On Feb 06, 2015
nurey:
when you find this cars on your street or neighborhood, respect them, they may not pack the highest horse power but they ain't no slouch when its time to give you a run for your money. And most importantly, never under estimate their driver-ability and handling and for those of you who own one, you get mouth cool and those yet to own, God will provide grin.

1. BMW E39 540I is part of the brand's long-lived 5 Series lineup. Produced between 1995 and 2003, this often forgotten model featured a nearly 300-hp, 4.4-liter V-8 and a lightweight aluminum suspension. When paired with the M Sport package, it was a great alternative to the higher-priced, less fuel-efficient M5 of the time. i have always under estimate this ride because i thought it was just a chunky piece of metal.

2. CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06
The fifth-generation Corvette Z06 didn't carry as much under the hood as today's 650-hp model, but it did feature major improvements when compared to its predecessor. Its 5.7-liter small-block V-8 engine packed 405 hp, up 55 ponies from the previous year, and it still managed to return decent fuel economy. Excellent cornering and a sonorous exhaust note sealed the deal. i already know how good this car is especially if you are a game freak (NEED4SPEED series).

3.CHRYSLER 300 SRT8
A sleeper sedan if there ever there was one, the Chrysler 300 SRT8 is much faster than it looks. Its 6.4-liter V-8 produced a total of 470 hp, and it's capable of hitting 60 mph in 4.3 seconds. This performance is complemented by a comfortable, spacious, and luxurious cabin. for we car enthusiast we know what the HEMI stamped variant can also do.

4.CHEVROLET SS
The Chevy SS looks like a Malibu but screams like a 'Vette. And that is no surprise, considering the SS has a Corvette-derived 6.2-liter V-8 engine capable of delivering 415 horsepower under the hood. Despite its nearly 4,000-pound body, the SS manages to hit 60 mph in around 4.5 seconds. A new six-speed manual transmission should increase its legitimacy as a top sports car in its segment.

5.DODGE CHALLENGER SXT
Everyone might want the 707-horsepower Challenger Hellcat, but when it comes down to numbers, most buyers will end up opting for the V-6 model. Even the base SXT model holds its own on the track thanks to the smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission, which is paired with the 3.6-liter V-6 engine good for 305 horsepower. Fuel economy hits 30 mpg on the highway, making it a practical choice for everyday drivers. when i saw this car on road, whoa it may be a sports car but it freakingly huge just stay clear of its path.

6. 2005-2010 FORD MUSTANG
When examining the Mustang's rich 50-year history, enthusiasts often overlook the start of the fifth generation. Ford took a bold risk on the 2005 Mustang, deviating almost completely from the previous generation with its modern shape and mostly reworked chassis. (It took one more redesign in 2015 to get independent rear suspension.) Along with a boost in performance, this Mustang also featured improved ergonomics and higher quality interior materials. i love the middle brake light which screams mustang when on.

7.HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE
The Genesis Coupe may not offer a V-8 like the sedan variant, but it brings hearty V-6 acceleration and excellent handling. R-Spec and Ultimate versions of this model come with larger brakes and a track-tuned suspension.

8. LEXUS GS
Although not a bona fide sports car, the GS's engaging ride could have fooled us for a second. Available with an F Sport package, the GS can hit 60 seconds in just 5.5 seconds thanks to its powerful 306-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 engine. The true sports car -- the GS F is on its way and will bring 467 horses when it arrives.

9. MAZDA MX-5 MIATA
Although it doesn't match the competition in terms of horsepower, the Miata stands out for its superior handling characteristics. It also has one of the best manual transmissions you can find anywhere. Interest in it has faded a bit as its design has grown long in the tooth. Expect even better performance for the 2016 model year, when the storied Miata receives a stiffer chassis, a revised suspension, and a lighter, fully redesigned body.

10. MAZDA RX-7
The 1967 Mazda Cosmo Sport officially introduced the world to the first production rotary engine, but it was the RX-7's rotary that later made a big impression on the industry. The car's sprightly acceleration, road-hugging drive experience, and excellent throttle response captured the hearts of enthusiasts. Rumors persist to this day that Mazda is looking for a way to bring back the RX-7 -- along with its rotary engine.

11.TOYOTA CELICA
This affordable sports car provides excellent steering and a balanced ride. Despite its long legacy dating back to 1970, it is often overlooked when compared to the Ford Mustang, Mitsubishi Eclipse, or even Toyota's own Supra.

12.TESLA ROADSTER
Tesla's biggest success story is the Model S sedan, but there is no doubt that the Roadster -- the company's first all-electric car -- also played a large role in shaping the company. In standard guise, the Roadster packed just 248 horsepower but could hit 60 mph in under 4 seconds, Tesla claimed. Drivers could travel up to 227 miles without having to recharge, but this number will increase to 400 miles thanks to a new upgrade available on the car starting this year.

13. PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO S
Many deride the Panamera for its odd looks, preferring the shapely 911. But the Panamera Turbo S brings drivers the ultimate mix of performance and comfort. Along with its smooth ride, this posh family hatch offers 570 horsepower from a 4.8-liter V-8 engine. But expect to pay to the tooth a sum of $180,000 (do the maths to naira) to own this baby.

14. SATURN ION REDLINE
The ill-fated Saturn brand had its ups and downs, but it also had a solid sports car. The Ion Redline featured a 205-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that distinguished it significantly from the Ion's standard 145-hp, 2.2-liter offering. That extra boost in horsepower was just enough to get a driver's blood pumping. imagine who ever thought a saturn will be this fast nawa ooh.

15. VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R
This inconspicuous hatchback is more than you might expect from the outside. The first hint of its capabilities comes from the loud roar of its engine. Thanks to its precise steering, plentiful acceleration, and grippy feel, it can take on flashier competitors such as the WRX STI despite its relatively meager 290 horsepower.

You forgot Nissan 350z, Benz cls500, and Benz CLA AMG with BMW M235i
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by nurey(m): 8:54am On Feb 06, 2015
auhanson:

You forgot Nissan 350z, Benz cls500, and Benz CLA AMG with BMW M235i

did you read the topic at all, under rated, most cars listed look like heavy metals and they come in four door saloon variant the nissan is a coupe, i doubt any one would underrate a toyota celica or scion variant not to talk of a super car like the 350z or all the benz you mentioned not to talk of the bemmer M version
Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by nurey(m): 9:09am On Feb 06, 2015
let me explain what the author means by underrated with a scenario

so i was driving my 2012 toyota camry xle 3.5L V6 with 268hp and this kia optima imagine been driven by a woman came to my side, i looked at her but she didnt look back and i thought what the hell what impunity grin as the green light came on i stepped on the pedal 20, 30 60, 100, i looked at my side mirror and the kia optima wont back down it kept on getting closer 120 150km/h my steering was already vibrating and the optima was already by my side angry angry and frstrated, i floored the pedal rpm reaching 5500 and the speedo was close to 190km/h but i didnt want to do 200 as i looked at the side mirror, the optima was no where to be found tongue i must be dreaming, something just swooped pass me by the right hand side shocked my God, it was the kia optima silver colour but its impossible yes the optima i4 turbo charged has 274hp enough to show any car willing to underrate it a run for its horsepower.

4 Likes

Re: Most Underrated Sport Cars by Jacksolo4me(m): 1:12pm On Feb 06, 2015
nurey:
let me explain what the author means by underrated with a scenario

so i was driving my 2012 toyota camry xle 3.5L V6 with 268hp and this kia optima imagine been driven by a woman came to my side, i looked at her but she didnt look back and i thought what the hell what impunity grin as the green light came on i stepped on the pedal 20, 30 60, 100, i looked at my side mirror and the kia optima wont back down it kept on getting closer 120 150km/h my steering was already vibrating and the optima was already by my side angry angry and frstrated, i floored the pedal rpm reaching 5500 and the speedo was close to 190km/h but i didnt want to do 200 as i looked at the side mirror, the optima was no where to be found tongue i must be dreaming, something just swooped pass me by the right hand side shocked my God, it was the kia optima silver colour but its impossible yes the optima i4 turbo charged has 274hp enough to show any car willing to underrate it a run for its horsepower.

Yeah talk about handing it down, worse if she had turned slowly to da side n smiled! sad--bad ol scenario)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Check Out The Longest Car In The World, It Has A Swimming Pool (photos) / Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! / Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.