Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,772 members, 7,827,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 (5872 Views)

GIONEE A1 Starts Pre-order from 24th to 28th April in all nigeria stores / Check Out The Latest GLO DATA PLANS For January 2015 / SCAM ALERT!!! A new method of Scamming discovered: THE HITMAN SCAM –A Must Read! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 6:28pm On Jan 28, 2015
So the issue of scams from online marketplaces is becoming too much of an issue. Just this morning, I was giving info on another thread to help the op avoid getting a faulty phone and then this afternoon, some mofo tried to con me. 8 )
It is in that light that I decided to make this thread, so that people buying on OLX and the likes can actually be confident when trying to deal online because although a lot of this ads are scams, some of them aren't.
Now let me tell you my shii yea;
I bought an LG G2 from a nairalander about a week ago(week agosmiley ) and just yesterday decided to buy an iPhone 5s seeing as I love apple phones so much... Nah, just kidding. One of my friends who schools in Akure hit me up to help him get a used 5s and as such I went to OLX to try to get one but as usual, all the ads were scams so I was pretty much close to postponing my search when someone from a whatsapp group talked about jiji and how it was so much better than OLX. Just like that, I went to the website, searched "iPhone 5s" and checked the first results. Now this is where it all gets interesting, unlike OLX where they're so conspicuous in their scams(at least to me), in the sense that they just want you to lose your about half of your money with nothing to show for it, the niggas running the jiji ish are way more considerate gringringrin in the sense that you pay the full price of what you want to buy but then end up with a clone.
Now this was how the shii went down. I saw the ad and called the number attached, the dude picked up and I asked him the major questions, is the phone faulty, hope there is no icloud lock and all that ish and the dude was like "nah, absolutely not", he even went as far as saying the phone was just sent by his sister from France, now when Europe and Asia switched places on the globe, I do not know but I was still down at this point. Now you should know that the whole "is the phone neat" bit of my questioning happened because the images on the ad weren't that clear and the website itself uses huge watermarks on the photographs uploaded so whereas I could see some parts of the phone via the pic, most parts were just_____(get it) .
For better judgement, (nigga assured me it was neat but I don't like stories) I asked for him to give me a whatsapp number as the one listed wasn't on whatsapp. He was like "ahan guy but I posted plenty pictures on the site na" and I'm like "yeah bruv I know but the pictures weren't clear on there so I need a better look" he was like "okay o, I will send it", I called him four times over a six hour period and this mofo didn't send any number. At this point my senses were tingling but I'm like "homie just bone".
Y'all should understand that he said he was in my hood, Berger ish, so I was open to playing the whole scene out as I wouldn't have to go through the stress of moving round Lagos in traffic. We set up a meeting for 10:30AM but I had no airtime on my phone and was just waaay to lazy to get up seeing as I just slept three hours before, by twelve, I finally had a bathe and set out to meet Lil scammer.

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 6:44pm On Jan 28, 2015
Now to the scam, I have to say, this scamming as_s niggas are getting smarter every damn time and as such, you have to up your anti scam skills every damn time as well.
I called up the guy at around 12:25PM for the meet and he was like he'd meet me in 30mins, so with that mind set, I decided to chill out till he lands. After thirty minutes, dude was like he was on his way, blah blah blah, yada yada yada. Long story short, he did this ish for about three hours, luckily for me, I was in my hood so I was chilling with some dudes at the barbershop so it wasn't a really big deal for me. At around 2:56PM, I sent him a text telling him I was done and couldn't wait any longer, that was when the dude told me to give him 45minutes that he would get there. Me being the "patient being" that I am agreed and true to his word, he was there in about 45minutes. I had moved to a eatery at this point and was waiting for him, with my plate of rice and chicken (the name of the eatery is MacBite and the food is godawful, never have I tasted fried rice and chicken that was so bland, PS, if you find yourself in Ojodu Berger, or MacBite, do yourself the favour of saving your 1k).
Finally Lil scammie steps in sits down comfortably at my table says a few words without even so much as saying "sorry for the wait" and then hands me the phone, OH MY GOD... I would have laughed right there and then but I was trying to convince the dude that he would be getting paid so I played along.
You see the good thing about phones like the iPhone 5-6, LG G2, G3, HTC one M7/8 etc is that they are so well made and meticulously designed that cloning them becomes such a chore. within the first three seconds of holding the phone, I could tell it was fake (I don't mean to brag but I probably knew it was a clone sooner) the weight of the phone was way more than an iPhone 5S's and the bezel was so much wider, the volume buttons and lock switch were also protruding excessively and that was just the hardware bit, even though that's not all. The screen resolution was (I'm not sure I have words for it) but you see what makes people like this scammer click is the thought they put into this cons, he left a screen nylon thingy on the screen and as such you might have thought that was what was making the screen so blurry. The about phone seemed convincing enough But the iOS 7.1 clone on the phone was just way off. Checking iTunes gaddem gaddem, I was met with an app that I cannot seem to understand how anybody with a working mind would think was actually created by Apple, appstore was Google play store (as expected), so no surprises there. There might have been other things for me to check but why would I bother, a clone discovered is a clone as is.

Funny enough, the scammer was generous enough to let me take photographs of the phone, which shall be uploaded promptly. I also recorded a video as well. Which I shall upload somewhere later, yet to decide where

Daze.

6 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 7:13pm On Jan 28, 2015
dazekid:
Now to the scam, I have to say, this scamming as_s niggas are getting smarter every damn time and as such, you have to up your anti scam skills every damn time as well.
I called up the guy at around 12:25PM for the meet and he was like he'd meet me in 30mins, so with that mind set, I decided to chill out till he lands. After thirty minutes, dude was like he was on his way, blah blah blah, yada yada yada. Long story short, he did this ish for about three hours, luckily for me, I was in my hood so I was chilling with some dudes at the barbershop so it wasn't a really big deal for me. At around 2:56PM, I sent him a text telling him I was done and couldn't wait any longer, that was when the dude told me to give him 45minutes that he would get there. Me being the "patient being" that I am agreed and true to his word, he was there in about 45minutes. I had moved to a eatery at this point and was waiting for him, with my plate of rice and chicken (the name of the eatery is MacBite and the food is godawful, never have I tasted fried rice and chicken that was so bland, PS, if you find yourself in Ojodu Berger, or MacBite, do yourself the favour of saving your 1k).
Finally Lil scammie steps in sits down comfortably at my table says a few words without even so much as saying "sorry for the wait" and then hands me the phone, OH MY GOD... I would have laughed right there and then but I was trying to convince the dude that he would be getting paid so I played along.
You see the good thing about phones like the iPhone 5-6, LG G2, G3, HTC one M7/8 etc is that they are so well made and meticulously designed that cloning them becomes such a chore. within the first three seconds of holding the phone, I could tell it was fake (I don't mean to brag but I probably knew it was a clone sooner) the weight of the phone was way more than an iPhone 5S's and the bezel was so much wider, the volume buttons and lock switch were also protruding excessively and that was just the hardware bit, even though that's not all. The screen resolution was (I'm not sure I have words for it) but you see what makes people like this scammer click is the thought they put into this cons, he left a screen nylon thingy on the screen and as such you might have thought that was what was making the screen so blurry. The about phone seemed convincing enough But the iOS 7.1 clone on the phone was just way off. Checking iTunes gaddem gaddem, I was met with an app that I cannot seem to understand how anybody with a working mind would think was actually created by Apple, appstore was Google play store (as expected), so no surprises there. There might have been other things for me to check but why would I bother, a clone discovered is a clone as is.

Funny enough, the scammer was generous enough to let me take photographs of the phone, which shall be uploaded promptly. I also recorded a video as well. Which I shall upload somewhere later, yet to decide where

Daze.

I don take first sit! Abeg upload pix and video! We dey wait grin cheesy
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 7:26pm On Jan 28, 2015
Abduletudaye:

I don take first sit! Abeg upload pix and video! We dey wait grin cheesy

Thanks for coming boss. You're very early, the people serving drinks and gala have not yet come. I am still trying to upload the first part but I keep getting an error. Pictures coming soon as well but the video is 281MB and I don't know how to compress it without zipping it up, not sure people would want to download a zip file for a video.

3 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 7:30pm On Jan 28, 2015
dazekid:

Thanks for coming boss. You're very early, the people serving drinks and gala have not yet come. I am still trying to upload the first part but I keep getting an error. Pictures coming soon as well but the video is 281MB and I don't know how to compress it without zipping it up, not sure people would want to download a zip file for a video.

Haba..find way jor...
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Mystiqme: 7:30pm On Jan 28, 2015
Google play store on an Iphone? How come?

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2015
Abduletudaye:

Haba..find way jor...

Oga mi I dey the matter

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 7:33pm On Jan 28, 2015
dazekid:

Oga mi I dey the matter

We are waiting..atleast pictures...angry
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by threadstone(m): 8:03pm On Jan 28, 2015
Mystiqme:
Google play store on an Iphone? How come?

Yeah ive seen a lot. The last one i saw was a beautifully designed one.. Nano sim port, same bezel, ios ui and feel. Only for app store to display playstore and the poor dude was so happy he was buying it for 45k.

I just had to step in with a word of advice. This phone is a vry good phone but if u plan on buying an iphone, this is not for u.

Dude came back an hour later to say thanks.

4 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 8:09pm On Jan 28, 2015
PICTURES... please upload

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 8:19pm On Jan 28, 2015
See Clone to badt!!!kai!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 8:25pm On Jan 28, 2015
Abduletudaye:

We are waiting..atleast pictures...angry

Pictures uploaded bro... Leave your feedback as well. Cheers.

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 8:27pm On Jan 28, 2015
dazekid:

Pictures uploaded bro... Leave your feedback as well. Cheers.

I don drop reply..but am just seeing the ones with google! Lol! So Hilarious! Even if I wan buy iphone and I see google play inside, I go laugh no buy again... grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by nani667: 8:29pm On Jan 28, 2015
Hmmm...
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 8:32pm On Jan 28, 2015
threadstone:

Yeah ive seen a lot. The last one i saw was a beautifully designed one.. Nano sim port, same bezel, ios ui and feel. Only for app store to display playstore and the poor dude was so happy he was buying it for 45k.

I just had to step in with a word of advice. This phone is a vry good phone but if u plan on buying an iphone, this is not for u.

Dude came back an hour later to say thanks.

It might actually be just like this one, check the pictures. People have different experience levels you know so what might seem to be a good clone to you may be a terrible one to another person.
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by chidekings(m): 8:37pm On Jan 28, 2015
Abduletudaye:

I don drop reply..but am just seeing the ones with google! Lol! So Hilarious! Even if I wan buy iphone and I see google play inside, I go laugh no buy again... grin

not everyone,know the much u know

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 28, 2015
Ehmmm. This scam go too catch me cos that phone be me like iphone!! undecided undecided tongue embarassed embarassed
Anyway, if I need a phone, i'll buy it from a shop.

2 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Kreamie(m): 9:52pm On Jan 28, 2015
Scam aye lmaooooooooooo
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 10:28pm On Jan 28, 2015
chidekings:

not everyone,know the much u know

i dont know much ooo..its just that i havent seen android features like google inside iphones before..cheesy

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Obrizzy(m): 10:40pm On Jan 28, 2015
lmfao i remember back in the days wen i also fell for a cloned samsung gslaxy s3 ,was godamm painfull .....So how did it end ,what did you tell him ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Obrizzy(m): 10:42pm On Jan 28, 2015
but the people that make such phones are meant to be flogged ,like serious lashing angry

3 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 10:45pm On Jan 28, 2015
Obrizzy:
but the people that make such phones are meant to be flogged ,like serious lashing angry

cheesy..as in..... Those pictures were the TRUTH and Proof! cheesy

I just dey laugh..I showed my bro and he was like 'Chineke'!
Lol

2 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Francheezy(m): 11:09pm On Jan 28, 2015
@Dazekid thanks for the heads up about macbite I passed there today and was thinking of eating there some other time. But No. I can't pay for bad food.

2 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by tzoracle: 11:18pm On Jan 28, 2015
Nigerians inbuilt anti-scam since 1900

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by networkgenuis: 11:24pm On Jan 28, 2015
I hope you dropped some words of advice for the learner. He should find something worthwhile to engage in and quit cheap scams.

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 11:35pm On Jan 28, 2015
Francheezy:
@Dazekid thanks for the heads up about macbite I passed there today and was thinking of eating there some other time. But No. I can't pay for bad food.

You're welcome bro, that food isn't worth anyone's taste buds, to think it it more expensive than tantalizers sef...
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by ewizard1: 11:39pm On Jan 28, 2015
OP, is the guy a NLer?

I think i know the Guy... His monicker is @FolarinWazzy - His talk is kinda Blurry!

I'm i right?

-I got a clean S4 from him some weeks ago {A real one sha, cos i can tell Real Samsung Devices like die grin grin grin}... He showd me an iPhone 5S too if i wanted it or know someone who would need it. I collected the Phone and laughed, i didnt want to start another argument cos i knew that device was SUPER FAKE!, I just handed it over and said "Lets just deal dis S4, i'll get a buyer for the iPhone later..."

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 11:41pm On Jan 28, 2015
ewizard1:
OP, is the guy a NLer?

I think i know the Guy... His monicker is @FolarinWazzy - His talk is kinda Blurry!

I'm i right?

This is gerring more interesting cheesy
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 11:48pm On Jan 28, 2015
networkgenuis:
I hope you dropped some words of advice for the learner. He should find something worthwhile to engage in and quit cheap scams.

LOL bro, I seriously had no words for the dude coz it was obvious he was aware the phone was cloned... Immediately I told him, he just said "Oya bring it na, lemme be going". What do I tell such a person?
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 11:53pm On Jan 28, 2015
Guys @Francheezy, Abduletudaye, networkgenuis, tzoracle, obrizzy, Kreamie, tchidi, chidekings ,nani667 so none of you guys noticed FM radio and file manager in that pic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by dazekid(m): 11:54pm On Jan 28, 2015
ewizard1:
OP, is the guy a NLer?

I'm i right?

-I got a clean S4 from him some weeks ago {A real one sha, cos i can tell Real Samsung Devices like die grin grin grin}... He showd me an iPhone 5S too if i wanted it or know someone who would need it. I collected the Phone and laughed, i didnt want to start another argument cos i knew that device was SUPER FAKE!, I just handed it over and said "Lets just deal dis S4, i'll get a buyer for the iPhone later..."

I don't know if he is a nairalander but I got in contact with him from jiji where the ad was placed.
Re: SCAM ALERT: My Iphone 5s Experience 28th January 2015 by Abduletudaye(m): 11:54pm On Jan 28, 2015
dazekid:
Guys @Francheezy, Abduletudaye, networkgenuis, tzoracle, obrizzy, Kreamie, tchidi, chidekings ,nani667 so none of you guys noticed FM radio and file manager in that pic

Say what!!!!! I don quench!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free 1GB From Mtn / What's Happening To My New Phone. Spark 4 Just A Day Old / Help With Starcomms Configuration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.