Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,418 members, 7,830,112 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink (2367 Views)

How To Send Document Files Like PDF On Whatsapp / Google Changes Search Engine Logo / Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 28, 2015
Since yesterday if I connect my usb, flash all my files corrupts and changes to .ink I need help to know the possible cause of it.
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Tmonex: 7:16pm On Jan 28, 2015
Your system is infected

Do a boot time scan and also scam wotj smardav
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 28, 2015
good for you........Buy antivirus, na so so crack una go dey find....Well if you are familiar with the CMD.exe, you can fix it

I'm out
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 28, 2015
Jregz:
good for you........Buy antivirus, na so so crack una go dey find....Well if you are familiar with the CMD.exe, you can fix it

I'm out
hmmm. Not helpful.

1 Like

Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 28, 2015
pureguide:
hmmm. Not helpful.
ego dont adepto vos
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 28, 2015
Jregz:

ego dont adepto vos
ok
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by spikesC(m): 11:12pm On Jan 28, 2015
It's a long process but the files are fully retrievable.

To confirm your predicament, the external drive still displays the accurate disk size but all folders have disappeared or turned into a link that leads to the virus.
More lnk files named music, video, pictures etc was also added in the root folder.

Do a virus scan of the external drive and your system to remove the virus

Create a shortcut link that links to a folder in the external drive.

Double click the shortcut link, it would lead you into that folder. Copy everything in that folder and save it where ever you wish but not on that same drive.

Do this for all the folders on the external drive.

Format it when you're done and copy the files back.
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by bigdrey(m): 8:08am On Jan 29, 2015
Go download usbfix, it is free. It will evacuate d virus both on d flash and system and will make all ur files normal bak
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by emmyvet(m): 9:27am On Jan 29, 2015
pureguide:
Since yesterday if I connect my usb, flash all my files corrupts and changes to .ink I need help to know the possible cause of it.
that's shortcut virus go and buy quick heal antivirus!
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 10:04am On Jan 29, 2015
emmyvet:

that's shortcut virus go and buy quick heal antivirus!
will stop it?
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by onyengbu: 11:51am On Jan 29, 2015
Now hear this.
Your Pc and the ext. Drive is infected. Thats established.
Again, the infection is a very harmless one. Why I said that is because whoever made the virus only succeeded in empowering it to "HIDE" your files, create shortcuts for every file and thats it. It does not do any damage at all to your files or filesystem. Its a bit stubborn to remove but thats all the muscle it can flex.
Now to see your files again, just go folder options settings and enable "view hidden files" and "show operating system files" options and you will see all your files right where they are supposed to be. You can move them to a new location but the dilemma here is that the new location might be infected by so doing.
The best thing to do is to use a good anti virus to remove the virus before searching for your hidden files.
I really cant remember the process of enabling the hidden and OS files view and I am not close to a pc now but when you are on the directory where your files are, just look for folder options tab.
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 29, 2015
onyengbu:
Now hear this.
Your Pc and the ext. Drive is infected. Thats established.
Again, the infection is a very harmless one. Why I said that is because whoever made the virus only succeeded in empowering it to "HIDE" your files, create shortcuts for every file and thats it. It does not do any damage at all to your files or filesystem. Its a bit stubborn to remove but thats all the muscle it can flex.
Now to see your files again, just go folder options settings and enable "view hidden files" and "show operating system files" options and you will see all your files right where they are supposed to be. You can move them to a new location but the dilemma here is that the new location might be infected by so doing.
The best thing to do is to use a good anti virus to remove the virus before searching for your hidden files.
I really cant remember the process of enabling the hidden and OS files view and I am not close to a pc now but when you are on the directory where your files are, just look for folder options tab.
I have done that. But still misbehaving
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by emmyvet(m): 4:31pm On Jan 29, 2015
pureguide:
will stop it?
Yes, QUICK HEAL ANTIVIRUS PRO 2014 Fixes .ink virus, I bought it last year and have been using it for clients in my office since then.

Please if you use blackberry phone don't connect it to that PC till you scan that PC.
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 29, 2015
Had to format the laptop
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by onyengbu: 11:53am On Jan 30, 2015
pureguide:
Had to format the laptop
Thats very unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 30, 2015
onyengbu:

Thats very unnecessary.
still feel bad. Because I lost most of my files. But will recover
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by spikesC(m): 8:05pm On Jan 30, 2015
pureguide:
still feel bad. Because I lost most of my files. But will recover

What's the point of asking people for help when you didn't even try a single one

2 Likes

Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jan 30, 2015
spikesC:

What's the point of asking people for help when you didn't even try a single one
I laugh when u say such. where when and how did u know that try u guys suggested? I even did a deep google research. So don't say wat u don't know
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by spikesC(m): 1:51am On Jan 31, 2015
pureguide:
I laugh when u say such. where when and how did u know that try u guys suggested? I even did a deep google research. So don't say wat u don't know

Sorry your highness, we were just trying to help.
Feedback is the least you can do to reciprocate

1 Like

Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 6:46am On Jan 31, 2015
spikesC:

Sorry your highness, we were just trying to help.
Feedback is the least you can do to reciprocate
my bad. Am so sorry for that. I wasn't in control of myself. The sadness and anger took all over me. You know how all these things use to be like. U feel so bad
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by bedfordng(m): 10:31am On Jan 31, 2015
your system is infected with virus.guess the virus did not hide the files.most times i make use of smadav antivirus for such things like this including the shortcut virus.
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by spikesC(m): 12:17pm On Jan 31, 2015
pureguide:
my bad. Am so sorry for that. I wasn't in control of myself. The sadness and anger took all over me. You know how all these things use to be like. U feel so bad

It's nothing cool

You shouldn't have formated your system. That virus doesn't do shlt, just hiding files and changing folders to lnk
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 31, 2015
spikesC:

It's nothing cool

You shouldn't have formated your system. That virus doesn't do shlt, just hiding files and changing folders to lnk
really? Well I don't know much about the virus. The stuf was driving me crazy. And I copied some files I wanted to upload online. It keeps turning the files to .ink and my phone can't read the files.
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by resultcase(m): 12:20pm On Feb 01, 2015
next time u dont have to format ur pc cos its a very minor virus that's been spreading for months. If such should happen again, all u have to do is

1. Install a good antivirus (Free and up to date AVG can fix it). Download from Filehippo.

2. After scanning ur pc with Avg, reboot the system.

3. Plug the infected external drive and delete all the .ink files in it.

4. Download "us show" (a less than 300kb software). Available at 4shared or google it.

5. Run usb show and select the external drive.

And your files are back and healthy.

Note: Install the latest version of Usb disk security along with ur antivirus, and always use usb show to unhide any hidden file or folder.
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 01, 2015
resultcase:
next time u dont have to format ur pc cos its a very minor virus that's been spreading for months. If such should happen again, all u have to do is

1. Install a good antivirus (Free and up to date AVG can fix it). Download from Filehippo.

2. After scanning ur pc with Avg, reboot the system.

3. Plug the infected external drive and delete all the .ink files in it.

4. Download "us show" (a less than 300kb software). Available at 4shared or google it.

5. Run usb show and select the external drive.

And your files are back and healthy.

Note: Install the latest version of Usb disk security along with ur antivirus, and always use usb show to unhide any hidden file or folder.
tnx bro
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by jmoore(m): 2:21pm On Feb 01, 2015
@pureguide, you tried "usb fix it" before formatting?
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 01, 2015
jmoore:
@pureguide, you tried "usb fix it" before formatting?
nop not heard of that. How does usb fix work
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by jmoore(m): 6:04pm On Feb 01, 2015
pureguide:
nop not heard of that. How does usb fix work
Someone suggested that in this thread. You should have read carefully before you formatted your pc.

Anyway, usbfixit is easy to use. It clears files with shortcuts and returns them to their original status. Google it and download it in case of next time.
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 01, 2015
jmoore:

Someone suggested that in this thread. You should have read carefully before you formatted your pc.

Anyway, usbfixit is easy to use. It clears files with shortcuts and returns them to their original status. Google it and download it in case of next time.
thanks
Re: My Pc External Drives Files Changes To .ink by lojik(m): 12:25pm On Feb 04, 2015
The easy way out of viruses and other windows based issue is to simply get a linux OS.
Ubuntu, lubuntu, ubuntu mate or kubuntu would be a good place to start.

(1) (Reply)

Get A .com Domain With N800 Only / I Need A Very Good Webdesigner To Build A Website For Me / Article Writers Needed - Earn Between 10,000-15,000 Weekly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.