Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,741 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here (6488 Views)

Postgraduate Students Sponsored By NDDC Protest Against Injustice (pics, Video) / FUTA Postgraduate 2015/2016 Session / A Thread For All Prospective\New Postgraduate. Students Of NOUN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 10:15pm On Jan 29, 2015
Straight to the point.
A sharp contrast exist between the management of the undergraduate programme as compared to the postgraduate school. The PG School has been turned into practically a big money spinning business for her handlers. School fees are increased arbitrarily, with gimmicks being employed to extort monies from students at all cost.
Worthy of note is the recent and sudden increase in the cost of convocation gowns from 5,000 to 10,000 naira for the just concluded 25th/26th convocation ceremony, the refusal of the school's management to give a concession for the wasted six months strike in 2013 resulting in an extra fee of 50,000 naira (reactivation fee) and 40,000 naira (third session) angry. The postgraduate hostel bedspace goes for 75,000 naira per bedspace and the acceptance fee is now 40,000 naira. angry
Education they would say is expensive, and the need for generating internal revenue for running the university is high. They are wrong because. The university is a Federal university. I can bet their counterparts (FUTMINNA & FUTO for example), don't charge as much as this.
I advice all and sundry pursuing a postgraduate programme in FUTA to run for it, except you want to pay mad school fees and stay for up to six years in some cases. The major delay comes from the unnecessary so called thesis registration that takes donkey years to complete before your final defence.
If you have started your postgraduate programme some time ago in futa, please quickly log on to the website:
http://spgs.futa.edu.ng/newspage.php?newsid=229
http://spgs.futa.edu.ng/newspage.php?newsid=234
It is time to speak angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by banismlookin: 6:56am On Mar 09, 2015
Lik hw much will futa pg program in project mang tech cost me
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by topearos(m): 10:45am On May 05, 2015
banismlookin:
Lik hw much will futa pg program in project mang tech cost me
. Like #300,000 for first session.
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by topearos(m): 10:47am On May 05, 2015
@OP: let's keep this thread alive and proposed PG students can consult us for opinion.
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by Omowumi5214: 4:48am On Jul 05, 2015
true
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by Omowumi5214: 4:51am On Jul 05, 2015
lanreni:
Straight to the point.
A sharp contrast exist between the management of the undergraduate programme as compared to the postgraduate school. The PG School has been turned into practically a big money spinning business for her handlers. School fees are increased arbitrarily, with gimmicks being employed to extort monies from students at all cost.
Worthy of note is the recent and sudden increase in the cost of convocation gowns from 5,000 to 10,000 naira for the just concluded 25th/26th convocation ceremony, the refusal of the school's management to give a concession for the wasted six months strike in 2013 resulting in an extra fee of 50,000 naira (reactivation fee) and 40,000 naira (third session) angry. The postgraduate hostel bedspace goes for 75,000 naira per bedspace and the acceptance fee is now 40,000 naira. angry
Education they would say is expensive, and the need for generating internal revenue for running the university is high. They are wrong because. The university is a Federal university. I can bet their counterparts (FUTMINNA & FUTO for example), don't charge as much as this.
I advice all and sundry pursuing a postgraduate programme in FUTA to run for it, except you want to pay mad school fees and stay for up to six years in some cases. The major delay comes from the unnecessary so called thesis registration that takes donkey years to complete before your final defence.
If you have started your postgraduate programme some time ago in futa, please quickly log on to the website:
http://spgs.futa.edu.ng/newspage.php?newsid=229
http://spgs.futa.edu.ng/newspage.php?newsid=234
It is time to speak angry

my thesis reg took about 3 months... den had to pay extra 20k for oral examination makin 90k aas a againts d former 35k or so
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by mistermorex: 8:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
Guys what is the way forward... I just got admission in futa for master program. So na make I forget am now?
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by oyedeley2ky: 9:35am On Nov 24, 2015
Hmmmmmmmm
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by chykes5000(m): 10:46am On Nov 26, 2015
Need some1 to help me with my thesis
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 4:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
chykes5000:
Need some1 to help me with my thesis

which department would that be?
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 4:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
mistermorex:
Guys what is the way forward... I just got admission in futa for master program. So na make I forget am now?

well, it all depends on the dept in question. the stress, sardism, wickedness and sluggish processes are in various degrees.
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 4:45pm On Feb 24, 2016
For those coming to FUTA for masters programme, the following tips will be helpful.
1. get ready to study hard. if you are working, this will definitely be difficult, but you don't want a result at the end of the day that won't be worth it
2. if you are very busy with work, make sure you make the full time efiko students your best friend.the reason is obvious.
3. you all need to come together in ur department and faculty/school to form an informal union of some sort. this is important when issues of fees increment/ extortion, thesis registration issues, etc occur.
4. understand your lecturers, the department and the system generally.
5. make the postgraduate coordinatorof your dept ur friend. make him/her work more efficently if they are dull in their responsibilities.
6. maximize the new dean Prof Ajewole. if you are not attended to efficiently, just enter the dean's office and see d secretary.on several occassions on several issues, most staff members of the pg school show incompetency. never take their word as final. see the oga at the top. he is approachable.
7. though the system is improving compared to what it was 3-4yrs ago. thanks to d new dean, its still a far cry from effectiveness. make sure you follow up on any form you submit; from thesis to transcript application. for result issue, go straight to exams and records office in pgscul.
8. finally, you need to meet with those who are students on ground to know the supervisors and options to go for, even before you apply. some finish 3yrs and some 5-7yrs in the same dept. so shine ur eyes.
be wise. peace!
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 5:02pm On Feb 24, 2016
Omowumi5214:

my thesis reg took about 3 months... den had to pay extra 20k for oral examination makin 90k aas a againts d former 35k or so

friend, unfortunately thats FUTA for you. that increment from 35k to 70k should have been crushed if there had existed some form of informal unionism (common voice) of pg students. they send txt messages for matriculation, but they didn't deliberately announce the increment in order to catch students unawares. d only place they placed the notice of the increment with deadline was on the door of the bursars office at d pgscul. before we could rally students around to see the vc, it was already too late in the day. they capitalized on the fact that pg students are working and everyone claiming busyness, therefore speaking with one voice will be difficult.a close source told us that when the increment was being discussed at the senate, a prominent member said, "don't mind them.they will complain but they will still pay the new fees"
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 5:23pm On Feb 24, 2016
TSA Account and the Travails of the PG School.
Do you know that matriculation gown 10k, notification of result 5k and largely the oral examination 70k plus, are all illegal fees?
It all goes straight to the private pocket of the school. Do you know that the remaining balance after your oral examination, ie the oral examination fee of 70k should be refunded to you (about 30-40k) depending on what it cost to finance your external supervisor's coming?.
they just scraped the notification fee now.
i learnt transcript application is now 20k whether within Nigeria or overseas. the personal copy is still 5k.
the university of ibadan charges 500 (five hundred naira) for convocation gown
...don't mind me....just spewing it as it comes to mind.
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 5:33pm On Feb 24, 2016
Postgraduate Hostel:
if you are looking for accommodation, i don't think the best option is d pg hostel. a bedspace goes for 75k (2 persons per room) and single room goes for 150k per annum. the era of squatters and illegal occupants are over now.the hostel administration has been overhauled. d only advantage there is light and proximity to your department in most cases, but when you want to consider the unpredictability of your programme, it means you may be spending at least 225k for 3yrs. i said atleast since the rent may be increased
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2016
Postgraduate Hostel:
if you are looking for accommodation, i don't think the best option is d pg hostel. a bedspace goes for 75k (2 persons per room) and single room goes for 150k per annum. the era of squatters and illegal occupants are over now.the hostel administration has been overhauled. d only advantage there is light and proximity to your department in most cases, but when you want to consider the unpredictability of your programme, it means you may be spending at least 225k for 3yrs. i said atleast since the rent can be increased without consultation. they are good accomodation in north gate and roadblock areas. ibule and ilara has d advantage of good power supply..
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by lanreni: 5:55pm On Feb 24, 2016
PhD in FUTA:
Generally, same thing that applies to the masters programme applies to the third cycle programme. it is now compulsory for phd students to have at least two supervisors, which may come from different departments depending on the scope of your work. the minimum time is generally 42 months..well, i have seen someone who used 10years! so i can't sit here and tell you the maximum. lol! it all depends on the field, your supervisors and the willingness of the department to give it to you. in most departments, it is not an advantage wether you are an alumni or not. the main game is about who they want to have it ahead of someone else they favour. in this regard, you must win the hearts of senior lecturers in your field, the hod, dean of school and dean of pgscul. at phd level, some research areas are just dead with nothing to offer you in futa in some departments. so take time to fact find about potential supervisors indirectly before you meet them directly.
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by Naziff(m): 3:09pm On Feb 17, 2018
Please What's the tuition fee for pg at seet
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by sname00(m): 9:51am On Feb 19, 2018
Have you been offered admission? If you have you can login and generate payment invoice where you will see the amount to be paid.
Naziff:
Please What's the tuition fee for pg at seet
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by Naziff(m): 8:51pm On Feb 22, 2018
sname00:
Have you been offered admission? If you have you can login and generate payment invoice where you will see the amount to be paid.
Sorry for bothering you, yes I've, but I can't really comprehend the information on the portal.
Please what and what should I do, just saw my name on the admission list today. Help a Bro. Thanks
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by neyosea25(m): 5:10pm On Feb 26, 2018
Please, house what is the minimum requirement for M.Tech Exploration Geophysics? I mean the minimum CGPA. I know the minimum is second class lower but I don't know if they emphasis on CGPA. I need someone who is given admission already or an insider to share his or her experience with me. I have B.Tech Earth Science (Applied Geophysics) from LAUTECH, Ogbomoso. Thanks
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by Emaytex(m): 8:39am On Mar 09, 2019
neyosea25:
Please, house what is the minimum requirement for M.Tech Exploration Geophysics? I mean the minimum CGPA. I know the minimum is second class lower but I don't know if they emphasis on CGPA. I need someone who is given admission already or an insider to share his or her experience with me. I have B.Tech Earth Science (Applied Geophysics) from LAUTECH, Ogbomoso. Thanks

Just go to the department, meet the HOD with ur transcripts and cert.He will ask u to apply if u r qualified. exactly what I did.
peace
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by Emaytex(m): 8:46am On Mar 09, 2019
pls someone shud help enlightened me abt the advantage of living in futa pg hostel, cost and environment (cleanliness ;toilet per say)
thanks.
Re: Futa Postgraduate Students: Lets Meet Here by Teezysneh(m): 7:51pm On Oct 20, 2022
Hi, anybody here?

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: 2015’s Hottest Students In Afe Babalola University #ABUAD / How To Become A Lawyer In Nigeria Without Going To Law School / Futminna Post Utme/de Date Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.