Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

10 Tricky Job Interview Questions - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Tricky Job Interview Questions (1708 Views)

See Tricky Job Questions / Can You Answer These Tricky Job Interview Questions From Apple Inc / 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Tricky Job Interview Questions by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 30, 2015
“Is This the Only Job You Are Applying For?”

Applicants apply for jobs because they either need one or they’re looking to move up from their current position. With that in mind, speak candidly about your job search. Yes, you may have more than one lead, but you may be leaning toward Company XYZ. You can say, “Though I am looking at several companies, I hands down see this as my best fit.” Just be ready to follow that up with answering their question of “Why?” If they ask what other companies, make sure to describe them in a positive way.

“What Is One Word That Describes You?”

A lot of us have been asked this question, and we all know how difficult it is to answer. You don’t want to sound too cocky, too bashful or even too perfect. In this case, the interviewer is trying to determine if you can portray yourself in a realistic manner. Words like “punctual,” “happy” and “hard-working” might be too basic and trite. A more applicable word might be “consistent.” Regardless, the best way to approach this question is to look at the particular job you are applying for and find a balanced word that is best suited for that position.

At the end of the day, know that there are good reasons why an interviewer would ask you these questions. Your job is to be prepared for them. Once you are ready, have faith that you will do a great job, and go into the interview with confidence.

“What Is Your Biggest Weakness?”

Don’t wait until the last moment to have an answer ready. There are countless ways this can be answered wrong, but very few ways it can be answered right. The interviewer is digging for a deal breaker, something that reveals that the candidate will not be right for the job.

The trick is to have enough self-awareness to be able to answer the question honestly, but also enough rehearsal to turn it into a positive. If you have to offer a weakness, explain what you are doing to remedy it. For example: If you are not good at leading teams, explain why and follow up with what you’re doing to be better at it.

“Has a Previous Employer Asked You to Do Something You Are Uncomfortable With?”

There are a number of things the interviewer may want to find out with this question, such as:

How far you are willing to go for your job?
Are you an ethical person?
Do you disparage your employer?

Keep in mind that this questions is not inherently negative. You can explain a situation where you were “uncomfortable” because you were new or inexperienced, especially if it led to personal growth.

“In Layman’s Terms, Can You Describe to Me a Complicated Part of This Business?”

In layman’s terms, the interviewer wants to know if you can break down their business to its core. This is where doing your homework comes into play. Before your interview, learn about the company and its products inside and out. In addition to showing them that you’ve studied the company and have an enthusiasm for the position, you can also highlight your ability to talk to clients and inexperienced employees who are less familiar with the brand.

“How Did You Get Out of Work for This Interview?”

If you tell the interviewer that you told your boss you had a doctor’s appointment—therefore making you a liar—this person will only be led to believe that you will eventually treat the new company in the same manner. Don’t get fooled into making the prospective company feel like they matter more than your current company. Think of the saying, “Once a cheater, always a cheater.” In fact, if you already have a job, you can avoid lying altogether by scheduling your interview outside of work hours if you can.

“Why Would People Not Like Working With You?”

Saying “nothing comes to mind” is like avoiding the question altogether. The reality is that everyone has flaws. If you can’t recognize your own inadequacies, then the hiring manager will see you as stubborn and unable to work in a team setting. Additionally, this isn’t the time to become defensive. No one wants to hire someone who places blame on others.

Instead, showcase your ability to turn negatives into positives. Don’t put any nails in the coffin with a simple “I suck at deadlines.” Instead, try something more nuanced, like, “Sometimes, when given a tight deadline, I might demand more out of myself and my co-workers. But I’ve grown to keep things within reason and be mindful of deadlines.”

“Would You Quit Your Job If You Won the Lottery?”

This is a remote but entirely plausible possibility. This question is meant to reveal your career principles. Therefore, it’s extremely important to be genuine with your response. You want them to get a sense of your drive and determination. Don’t be disingenuous.

It’s okay to begin your answer with a light offering, such as, “Well, I would definitely be happy if I won the lottery…” But avoid saying, “I’m not a gambler,” because they may actually want someone who’s willing to take risks. Instead, a proper response may be closer to, “I’m not looking for an easy out. There’s nothing to learn from sitting on a pile of cash.”

“Why Has It Been So Long Since Your Last Job?”

This is an opportunity to shed light on who you are when you don’t have an employer breathing down your neck. What the interviewer wants to know is “Are you a proactive person?” What they don’t want to hear is that you’ve been spending every waking hour looking for a job without actually finding one, or that you never got past the interview process. These are red flags for any interviewer.

Instead, let them know you’ve been doing something productive with your time, such as helping with a charity or freelancing. A great answer also confidently acknowledges any gaps in employment, while at the same time filling those gaps with constructive activities. A great response would be something like, “While I anticipated some time between jobs, I wanted to make sure I was doing something that would allow me to grow further.” Employers love a candidate who seeks constant improvement and utility.

HINT: If you have been unsuccessful at finding work for more than a month or two, make sure to get involved in activities that allow you to maintain your skills and grow your network or experience. It’s a lot better to spend your time volunteering than idly passing your time.

“Do You Have Desires to Be an Entrepreneur?”

This question means they don’t want to hire someone who is going to learn from them—on their dime—and then jump ship. Even if you do want to be an entrepreneur, you want to walk the line with your response. You’ve researched them. You love what they stand for. You love what they sell. So unless the job description stated “no room for growth,” speak from a leadership standpoint. Explain that you have tremendous respect for the leader(s) of the company and you would like to grow with them.

http://www.docstoc.com/article/173411803?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=222&utm_content=7639

1 Like

Re: 10 Tricky Job Interview Questions by ShakurM(m): 11:02am On Jan 30, 2015
Pause
Re: 10 Tricky Job Interview Questions by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 30, 2015
sensible n resourceful
Re: 10 Tricky Job Interview Questions by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 30, 2015
Lushcream:
sensible n resourceful

Thanks!
Re: 10 Tricky Job Interview Questions by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
Taken!!!
Re: 10 Tricky Job Interview Questions by morhsuud22(m): 1:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
the season of 10's
Re: 10 Tricky Job Interview Questions by unofficial(m): 3:06pm On Jan 30, 2015
Nice Piece,,,,,smiley
But, I have a problem with the "why would people not like working with you" question!

I see, ""Nothing comes to mind"" or ""I don't see a reason why my colleagues would not like working with me', as the surest bet..
Re: 10 Tricky Job Interview Questions by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 30, 2015
unofficial:
Nice Piece,,,,,smiley
But, I have a problem with the "why would people not like working with you" question!

I see, ""Nothing comes to mind"" or ""I don't see a reason why my colleagues would not like working with me', as the surest bet..

Well, to me it's the same thing as "What is your weakness"?

In this regard, making reference to your weakness and how you have worked on it (turning it into an asset rather than a liability) should be your sure bet.

(1) (Reply)

Current Jobs In Multinationals And Indigenous Companies - Nigeria / Jobs At Law And Visas / Make 20k In 2 Weeks- Work From Home Temp Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.