Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,777 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Fake Products All Over Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fake Products All Over Nigeria (2213 Views)

Buhari Voted For Niger Republic Over Nigeria At OAU / Hoodlums May Take Over Nigeria – Afenifere / Fake Products: China Blames Nigerian Businessmen! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 27, 2008
Honestly, I can stop picturing the danger ahead for lives by Dora Akunyili leaving NAFDAC

Why? because 95% of everything sold in Nigeria now is fake and nobody seem to be able to do nothing about it

I know the list are endless but i will list those that pertains to me

1. I can't get a generator that will last 4 months without packing up, not even an original part

2. I lost the charger which came with my laptop and since then, I have become famous at Ikeja, always looking for laptop chargers (thanks to amazon, i later got one that shipped to Nigeria)

3. My phone charger is fake and i knew before getting it, because i lost the manufacturer-made to bad generator and the market has no original

4. I got a standing lamp to lit my laptop keypad an night but it lasted for 3 days

5. I got a network switch to network some computers for a client, It ended up as fake and did not last for 3 days

6. I got a wireless mouse recently, it's losing signals, I will have to remove the battery, put it back, then use it for another 2 hours

7. The KDK fan which blows heat off my body while working has a paper support holding it's neck from falling off (still pretty new), Most time, it decides where it wants to face and most time, it's decision is always far from where i am sitting

8. I have puchased may earfones for my laptop, Now i know how the wires are mapped, and have many earfone parts, thanks to fake products

9. I got many empty CDs but most of them ends up in a trash after writing failure, now i have relocate the trash can so that i can reach it easily

10. I got 2 laptop bags supposed to be original but the clips were made of fake Alloys (i've seen many laptop sales post saying, with original laptop carrying case, Why? because it no longer news that there are fake bags here and there)

11. I stopped using flash drives since every flash in the market has one problem, You open folders and you see nothing in them.

12. I can't count the number of extension boxes i have gotten, adapters and so on (I guess thats why shoprite has it close to their checkout, I picked one from there and it is still ok, atleast for now, I got a laptop carrying case from there but did not last too)

13. I can remember a glass cup turned apart simple because i tried squeezing my hand in while trying to remote a stubborn stain from inside

Where are we going,
even belts are having  harder times these days holding trousers to our waists, it starts with the holes widening. Every naija guy will testify to this.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by BOSS7: 7:20pm On Dec 27, 2008
Sorry chief but is this news?
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 27, 2008
this is not news my brother, it is just painful i have to go through all these simply because some guy called China up and said, "Hey i need 5 million copies of Xyz product, I will be paying 10 USD per product, forget the quality, just make it work"

Simply because some people just sit up there doing nothing
We need a Standard Organization of Nigeria
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Reese1: 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2008
@ Poster,

I suggest you let your representatives that are in power to serve and represent you know that you can't take this anymore.

The contact information below is for the Consumer Protection Council in Nigeria.

Their job, as stated on their own website is :

[b]WHAT IS THE MISSION OF THE CPC?

The CPC would have succeeded in its work when Nigerian consumers can be described as well protected, getting their money’s worth, knowledgeable about the market place and its mechanisms, vigilant about what takes place in it, assertive about their rights and conscious of their responsibilities.

WHAT ARE THE MAIN FUNCTIONS OF THE CPC?

* Providing speedy redress to consumers complaints through negotiation, mediation and conciliation;

* Seeking ways and means of removing from the markets hazardous products and causing offenders to replace such products with safer and more appropriate alternatives;

* Publishing from time to time list of products whose consumption and sale have been banned, withdrawn, severally restricted or not approved by the Federal Government;

* Causing an offending company, firm, trade association or individual to protect, compensate, provide relief and safeguards to injured consumers or communities from adverse effects of technologies that are inherently harmful, injurious, violent or highly hazardous;

* Organising and undertaking campaigns and other forms of activities that will lead to increased public consumer awareness;

* Encouraging trade, industry and professional associations to develop and enforce in their various fields, quality standards designed to safeguard the interest of consumers;

* Issuing guidelines to manufacturers, importers, dealers and wholesalers in relation to their obligation under the CPC enabling law;

* Encouraging the formation of voluntary consumer groups or associations for consumers’ well being;

* Ensuring that consumers’ interest receive due consideration at appropriate fora and providing redress to obnoxious practices or the unscrupulous exploitation of consumers by companies, firms, trade associations or individuals;

* Registering and monitoring products, services and sales promotions in the market place.
.[/b]

Important Emails:

info@cpcnigeria.org for general information

complaint@cpcnigeria.org for filling complaints

Head Office:

Plot 1105, Dar-es-Salam Street, off Aminu Kano Crescent,
Wuse II, P.M.B 5077, Abuja.

Tel: 09-52303423, 2730949.
Email: cpcnigeria@yahoo.co.uk OR info@cpcnigeria.com

I see you're in Lagos, no? You can contact the Abuja location and have them direct you to a local contact in Lagos, or something, as I couldn't find any contact info for Lagos.

Write them, call them, e-mail them, go to their office if you can. Just make sure your concerns are noted. Make your voice heard! Let them know you will not tolerate fake products anymore! 

Forget the fact that you think nothing will get done no matter how much you complain. At least do something about it! If nothing truly gets done, then next time, you know who NOT TO vote for when it comes to consumer protection, no?

Change gotta start with something y'all,
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by BOSS7: 8:25pm On Dec 27, 2008
Reese1:

@ Poster,

I suggest you let your representatives that are in power to serve and represent you know that you can't take this anymore.

The contact information below is for the Consumer Protection Council in Nigeria.

Their job, as stated on their own website is :

[b]WHAT IS THE MISSION OF THE CPC?

The CPC would have succeeded in its work when Nigerian consumers can be described as well protected, getting their money’s worth, knowledgeable about the market place and its mechanisms, vigilant about what takes place in it, assertive about their rights and conscious of their responsibilities.

WHAT ARE THE MAIN FUNCTIONS OF THE CPC?

* Providing speedy redress to consumers complaints through negotiation, mediation and conciliation;

* Seeking ways and means of removing from the markets hazardous products and causing offenders to replace such products with safer and more appropriate alternatives;

* Publishing from time to time list of products whose consumption and sale have been banned, withdrawn, severally restricted or not approved by the Federal Government;

* Causing an offending company, firm, trade association or individual to protect, compensate, provide relief and safeguards to injured consumers or communities from adverse effects of technologies that are inherently harmful, injurious, violent or highly hazardous;

* Organising and undertaking campaigns and other forms of activities that will lead to increased public consumer awareness;

* Encouraging trade, industry and professional associations to develop and enforce in their various fields, quality standards designed to safeguard the interest of consumers;

* Issuing guidelines to manufacturers, importers, dealers and wholesalers in relation to their obligation under the CPC enabling law;

* Encouraging the formation of voluntary consumer groups or associations for consumers’ well being;

* Ensuring that consumers’ interest receive due consideration at appropriate fora and providing redress to obnoxious practices or the unscrupulous exploitation of consumers by companies, firms, trade associations or individuals;

* Registering and monitoring products, services and sales promotions in the market place.
.[/b]

Important Emails:

info@cpcnigeria.org for general information

complaint@cpcnigeria.org for filling complaints

Head Office:

Plot 1105, Dar-es-Salam Street, off Aminu Kano Crescent,
Wuse II, P.M.B 5077, Abuja.

Tel: 09-52303423, 2730949.
Email: cpcnigeria@yahoo.co.uk OR info@cpcnigeria.com

I see you're in Lagos, no? You can contact the Abuja location and have them direct you to a local contact in Lagos, or something, as I couldn't find any contact info for Lagos.

Write them, call them, e-mail them, go to their office if you can. Just make sure your concerns are noted. Make your voice heard! Let them know you will not tolerate fake products anymore! 

Forget the fact that you think nothing will get done no matter how much you complain. At least do something about it! If nothing truly gets done, then next time, you know who NOT TO vote for when it comes to consumer protection, no?
Change gotta start with something y'all,

Very thoughtful and I'm quite impressed but do we really have credible elections in Nigeria?
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Nobody: 8:31pm On Dec 27, 2008
lmao!!na today?

Watch Nollywood films. . . .the 50 Cent shirts, the addidas shirt, even their acting and actors are FAKE.

Nollywood represents Nigeria, that should be telling poster something na undecided
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Reese1: 8:41pm On Dec 27, 2008
Very thoughtful and I'm quite impressed but do we really have credible  elections in Nigeria?

We still gotta try though. In this case, he still has to make an informed decision on who he believes will best represent his interests in office. If we don't vote because we know they're rigged, it's a lost cause before it even starts.  sad
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by asha80(m): 8:42pm On Dec 27, 2008
Nigeria is a fake country cool
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by kosovo(m): 8:49pm On Dec 27, 2008
so? Oops, m screaming ,
m not moved, anything abnormal in naija is perfectly normal.
so it's no news dude!
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by IGWEUSA(m): 9:00pm On Dec 27, 2008
@ poster

i can see that you re the naira land Larry king.

What does Dora Akunyili have to do with Ur generator and Ur laptop or Did U learn that she is an electrical engineer.

*****for ur inFO, fake materials dey circulate every where , even in America********************
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by otokx(m): 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2008
There are fake products in other countries of the world so shine your eye buy authentic products
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Naijex: 10:45pm On Dec 27, 2008
I bought a fake break pad for my honda pilot recently, and it only lasted for one month. I looked around Nigeria for genuine part, i met this guy and swear all he sells is genuine honda part. I fell for it again and i paid double the price i bought the first one. Immediately, my mechanic install the break pads, it was squeaking. Fortunately, a friend was traveling to the US and begged him to buy me original break pad. He did, guess what, it cost less in the US+ shipping to Nigeria than the ones i already paid for in Nigeria. The new pads has been on my SUV for about 9 months now and have got no problem with it.

Wetin dey happen.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by kosovo(m): 10:53pm On Dec 27, 2008
Wetin dey happen.
nothing dey happen
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by JJYOU: 10:56pm On Dec 27, 2008
otokx:

There are fake products in other countries of the world so shine your eye buy authentic products
how do you answer this guy then?
Naijex:

I buy a fake break pad for my honda pilot recently, and it only lasted for one month. I looked around Nigeria for genuine part, i met this guy and swear all he sells is genuine honda part. I fell for it again and i paid double the price i bought the first one. Immediately, my mechanic install the break pads, it was squeaking. Fortunately, a friend was traveling to the US and begged him to buy me original break pad. He did, guess what, it cost less in the US+ shipping to Nigeria than the ones i already paid for in Nigeria. The new pads has been on my SUV for about 9 months now and have got no problem with it.

Wetin dey happen.
it is the medicines that scares me. we went to a big chemist last year an the idiot gave us 2 different prices for a drug. when i asked why  he said one was original and the other wasn't.  i felt shame because the idiots just ruined the image of my country before my nearest and dearest in less than a minute. shameless people
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Naijex: 11:10pm On Dec 27, 2008
But for reel guys, we need to do something about all this kind thing b4 them kill us all.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by earTHMama: 11:17pm On Dec 27, 2008
Nigerians love good things but rarely can they afford it. Every Nigerian wants a Gucci, a Bang & Olufsen cell phone, a Patek Phillipe watch etc but how many Nigerian citizens can afford that from their salaries?. That is why you see impostors everywhere in Nigeria to satisfy them psychologically even though the quality of the product they have is whack.

Someone told me he bought a 4GB RAM Toshiba laptop complete with uptight processor, finger print reader, camera, blue tooth etc for N70K in Lagos. You do not need a rocket scientist to tell you that he bought the lowest product made in China. If You import high quality Chinese products in Nigeria, how many of them do you think can afford a laptop or Wii or microwave etc?.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Naijex: 11:29pm On Dec 27, 2008
@Earthmama

I 'm telling u fake stuff in Nigeria is even more expensive then buying genuine from  abroad.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by JJYOU: 11:39pm On Dec 27, 2008
earTHMama:

Nigerians love good things but rarely can they afford it.  Every Nigerian wants a Gucci, a Bang & Olufsen cell phone, a Patek Phillipe  watch etc  but how many Nigerian citizens can afford that from their salaries?. That is why you see impostors everywhere in Nigeria to satisfy them psychologically even though the quality of the product they have is whack.

Someone told me he bought a 4GB RAM Toshiba laptop complete with uptight processor, finger print reader, camera, blue tooth etc for N70K in Lagos. You do not need a rocket scientist to tell you that he bought the lowest product made in China. If You import high quality Chinese products in Nigeria, how many of them do you think can afford a laptop or Wii or microwave etc?.
auntie funmi go there and see young girls rushing used foreign tongs/knickers and bras and think again. there is money in naija
Naijex:

@Earthmama

I telling fake stuff in Nigeria is even more expensive then buying genuine from abroad.
so true
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by earTHMama: 11:45pm On Dec 27, 2008
auntie funmi go there and see young girls rushing used foreign tongs/knickers and bras and think again. there is money in naija

If they have so much money, why are they buying used thongs?. Of course there are Nigerians that can afford new ones from victoria secret but how many are they? Can we get off this high horse and accept that we are generally poor?.

Somebody told me last month that Nigerians drive exotic cars and mind you that 98% of cars in Nigerian roads are not financed by any bank or coy. I asked her whether she can comfortably tell me the percentage of those driving the so called exotic cars in Nigeria. Truth is that the so called bankers cannot even afford a new Toyota camry from their salary unless there is financing involved so, if that is the case, how can you tell me that majority of them are living off their lives in designer cars and posh homes?. Get real! the money in Naija is only in the hands of a select few.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by earTHMama: 11:48pm On Dec 27, 2008
@Earthmama

I telling fake stuff in Nigeria is even more expensive then buying genuine from abroad.

Big lie!!. A few friends have asked for my help in buying something for them out here but when they view the prices online or I get the stall prices, they flinch and go for the one in our local markets. Like the laptop example I gave you there, you cannot find it that cheap in UK or US and I don't care whether they are doing an 80% off sale.

Even if it's true, how many Nigerians have access to that abroad?.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by JJYOU: 12:21am On Dec 28, 2008
earTHMama:

Big lie!!. A few friends have asked for my help in buying something for them out here but when they view the prices online or I get the stall prices, they flinch and go for the one in our local markets. Like the laptop example I gave you there, you cannot find it that cheap in UK or US and I don't care whether they are doing an 80% off sale.

they were actually asking you to pay for it and not asking for exchange rate. all those were just formalties. funmi do you go to naija at all?
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Naijex: 12:24am On Dec 28, 2008
earTHMama:

Big lie!!.  A few friends have asked for my help in buying something for them out here but when they view the prices online or I get the stall prices, they flinch and go for the one in our local markets. Like the laptop example I gave you there, you cannot find it that cheap in UK or US and I don't care whether they are doing an 80% off sale.

U dey talk of laptop wey guys bought with stolen credit card and  they are selling at half price to us in Nigeria

I 've been a victim of buying fakes stuff so many times.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by IGWEUSA(m): 5:31am On Dec 28, 2008
Fake products circulate in every part of the world, including US and europe.

After all, most of all these material are produced in china

But the high rate of FAKE DRUG circulation in nigeria causes more concern cry cry cry

*********Dora Akunyili don't leave NAFDAC*******************************
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:51am On Dec 28, 2008
You can get a 4GB Dual Core 250GB Laptop for less than $600. I believe the poster has a point here. Something needs to be done about the fake goods. People can easily afford Gucci these days. If you doubt it, walk into a Marshalls store and see the Gucci shirts and shirts on the shelfs on high discount. I agree with one of the responders who noted that Nigerians sometimes end up paying way much more for goods than it costs even here in the US + shipping.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by naijaking1: 5:54am On Dec 28, 2008
Fake products cost Nigerians more than the real ones. This has been the case with grocery stores that sell bad/spoilt food in some US neighbourhoods. The bad foods cost more than the fresh ones because the companies realize that their customers are poor/illitrate/black/lacks means to drive outside to buy something better.
Why wouldn't unscruplous companies dump bad items in naija when they can make a huge profit overnight?
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by GettysBurg: 7:05am On Dec 28, 2008
When you have a penchant for cheap, cheap products, you'll very likely fall victim of fake products.

I blame the buyer more. Why? Because when we nigerians see a high quality product that costs a bit more, our first tendency is to condemn such as opportunists who want to rip off 'the masses'.

Good luck to y'all buyers of cheap, substandard goods. No forget say awoof dey run belle.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by GettysBurg: 7:07am On Dec 28, 2008
sad
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Dede1(m): 11:45am On Dec 28, 2008
Nigeria should strive to manufacture genuine products. The good products are as a result of R&D and iterative process. By the way, only countries can embark on R&D. In my book, Nigeria is not a country. Until the jungle called Nigeria attains that manufacturing cadre, the citizenry of this geographical expression must continue to wallow in the agony of dealing with junks.
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 28, 2008
The truth is that i ordered 2 dell latitude batteries plus shipping, all for $60 from brillianstore.com(Via Amazon)

one of this battery cost 6K at Computer Village, Just tell them you want Original and you will get another price and i tell you, you will end up with a fake one
Forget, the story of who can afford Original, The issue here is that

even if you have 24 eyes, "double-shine" your eyes, Pay more, Psych them, you will end up with a fake product

Why i brought Dora Akunyili into this is simple
Leaving NAFDAC means Fake Drugs everywhere

If that makes little sense to you,

Think of someone in your life whom you love so much, Now Imagine his/her demise simply because a chemist sold you a fake paracetamol which damaged his/her liver

Honestly I see danger ahead, I don't think we need to take the risk, the last thing we want is fake drugs.

@Reese1
even when you appear at their office in person, Nothing will ever be done because your message will never get to the top.

@igwe USA
If Dora is not in NAFDAC, then we are taking a great risk, those are just example of what to expect in the health sector
Re: Fake Products All Over Nigeria by stanech: 12:58pm On Dec 28, 2008
webdezzi:

Honestly I see danger ahead, I don't think we need to take the risk, the last thing we want is fake drugs.

cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Gani's Burial Poster On The Streets Of Aba! / Terror Watch On Nigeria: Borno Commissioner Denied U.s. Visa ‘over Surname’ / Failed States Index - Nigeria Now Ranked 15th Out Of 177

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.