Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,239 members, 7,829,434 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle (3726 Views)

7 Years After, DAGRIN Still Lives On” - See What People Are Saying About Him / Chidinma Okeke Drives Her Returned Car (Pics) / Cossy Orjiakor Travells To Germany, Drives Germans Crazy (video 18+) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 6:40am On Feb 01, 2015
Meet the World’s Poorest President Who Lives on a Farm & Drives a 1987

He lives on a farm, and his official car is a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. He donates 90% of his monthly salary to charity. President of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, is not your average president.

It is commonplace to see some presidents of countries living lavish lifestyles, and in some extreme cases, looting their countries’ finances for personal gain. But not Mujica.

He is commonly known as the world’s “poorest” president because of his austere lifestyle

Mujica rejected the luxurious presidential residence the government provided for him and instead opted to live on his wife’s farm located on a dirt road outside the country’s capital. They have no domestic workers – they do all the farm work by themselves. The only staff they have are two police officers.

In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration – mandatory for officials in Uruguay – was $1,800, the value of his Beetle.

In an interview with BBC, he said:

“I’ve lived like this most of my life, I can live well with what I have

I’m called ‘the poorest president’, but I don’t feel poor. Poor people are those who only work to try to keep an expensive lifestyle, and always want more and more.

This is a matter of freedom. If you don’t have many possessions then you don’t need to work all your life like a slave to sustain them, and therefore you have more time for yourself…”

Mujica also has unique views about poverty alleviation. In the 2012 Rio+20 summit he stated:

But what are we thinking? Do we want the model of development and consumption of the rich countries? I ask you now: what would happen to this planet if Indians would have the same proportion of cars per household than Germans? How much oxygen would we have left?

“Does this planet have enough resources so seven or eight billion can have the same level of consumption and waste that today is seen in rich societies? It is this level of hyper-consumption that is harming our planet.

An Arab sheikh recently offered him $1 million for his Beetle. Mujica is currently considering the offer, and says that if he does sell it, he will donate the money to charity.

http://naijaparrot.com/meet-the-worlds-poorest-president-who-lives-on-a-farm-drives-a-1987-beetle/

1 Like

Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by 0700Jesse(m): 6:51am On Feb 01, 2015
Them dey do this president from village
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 6:53am On Feb 01, 2015
0700Jesse:
Them dey do this president from village

Bros how?

His helping the poor with his money naaaaa
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by 0700Jesse(m): 6:58am On Feb 01, 2015
JayKayMaybachz:

Bros how?

His helping the poor with his money naaaaa

because say i dey help the poor, i go kon poor myself shey??
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by echobee(f): 7:00am On Feb 01, 2015
Hmmmmmmm! Hp others can learn from him sad. Not some people chopping food of 1billion in a year angry

4 Likes

Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by coolebux(m): 7:03am On Feb 01, 2015
I'm not impressed

So what?

Funny enough, it didn't make the evening news.
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:06am On Feb 01, 2015
0700Jesse:

because say i dey help the poor, i go kon poor myself shey??

That's how he chose to live his life

Not like some hungry polithivicians we've got here
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:07am On Feb 01, 2015
echobee:
Hmmmmmmm! Hp others can learn from him sad. Not some people chopping food of 1billion in a year angry

My dear, that really got me pondering. . "What sort of human is this man"?
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by echobee(f): 7:09am On Feb 01, 2015
JayKayMaybachz:

My dear, that really got me pondering. . "What sort of human is this man"?
me too sad. I pray others learn.
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by busterr(m): 7:09am On Feb 01, 2015
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:10am On Feb 01, 2015
echobee:

me too sad. I pray others learn.

They won't..... undecided angry

Happy Sunday
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:11am On Feb 01, 2015
busterr:
undecided

For Sunday?
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by echobee(f): 7:15am On Feb 01, 2015
Happy new month kiss
they forgot we brought nothing to this world,we re taking nothing back sad
JayKayMaybachz:

They won't..... undecided angry

Happy Sunday
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by echobee(f): 7:16am On Feb 01, 2015
busterr:
First day of d month,u dey book space sad
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:18am On Feb 01, 2015
echobee:
Happy new month kiss
they forgot we brought nothing to this world,we re taking nothing back sad

Same to yhu

Their IQ is as tiny as their shoe size they wear

Stvpid & greedy people

Ah never mean they should livepoor, but they shld remember the poor ones out there
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:19am On Feb 01, 2015
echobee:

First day of d month,u dey book space sad

As in eh....
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Joshkid(m): 7:25am On Feb 01, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Yustash001(m): 7:29am On Feb 01, 2015
Atleast...he's better than some presidents looting their countries' money....e.g. The president of Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:31am On Feb 01, 2015
Yustash001:
Atleast...he's better than some presidents looting their countries' money....e.g. The president of Nigeria...
embarassed
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Yustash001(m): 7:33am On Feb 01, 2015
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:25am On Feb 01, 2015
Yustash001:
I lie?
Yhu no lie ma brother
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by philo3(m): 9:07am On Feb 01, 2015
some people are so poor .... all they av z money

1 Like

Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 01, 2015
Mk devil no catch us o.
But seriously, who go poor must surely go poor
Na him own cup of tea sha
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Sijo01(f): 10:53am On Feb 01, 2015
Humbleness to the core.
An ordinary Nigeria' ward councillor can never live like this.
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by tunery004(m): 1:05pm On Feb 01, 2015
Dis shud b on front page so dat we can all see d foolishness of our presido using 4billion to eat. Cc seun obianscopy lalasticala
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 1:21pm On Feb 01, 2015
tunery004:
Dis shud b on front page so dat we can all see d foolishness of our presido using 4billion to eat. Cc seun obianscopy lalasticala

Help me tell dem

Oga Seun
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Nobody: 4:05pm On Feb 01, 2015
What?shocked
An average Nigerian local government chair man can afford a SUV cry shocked
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:20pm On Feb 01, 2015
OGAofBOSS:
What?shocked
An average Nigerian local government chair man can afford a SUV cry shocked

Ma brother

Da man no get children sef

And him wife na Senator
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
JayKayMaybachz:

Ma brother

Da man no get children sef

And him wife na Senator
This is the true definition of humility wink
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by JayKayMaybachz(m): 9:55pm On Feb 01, 2015
OGAofBOSS:
This is the true definition of humility wink

Am tellin yhu

But.......

Me no wan dhey like that shaaaaa

grin grin

But ah go dhey help people nii
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Missmossy(f): 10:00pm On Feb 01, 2015
shocked Very strange he is not You know who grin
Re: Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2015
JayKayMaybachz:

Am tellin yhu

But.......

Me no wan dhey like that shaaaaa

grin grin

But ah go dhey help people nii
But nobody is perfect sha. The man might have is own ''durty'' secret grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

HULALA! Ghanaian Babe Boasts Of Having The Biggest Hips In The World (SEE PHOTOS / Solomon Lange Is Now Married Oh!! Pix / Wait Is Falz Dating Chidinma Ekile???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.