Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone (4049 Views)

Adeboye: I Am Sure HID Awolowo Is In Heaven / What Will You Be Doing In Heaven For All Eternity? / Phillipa's (4-6 Aug) Visions Of Readiness Of Heaven For Rapture Of The Saints (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone by mazaje(m): 1:32pm On Dec 29, 2008
There isn't going to be enough room in heaven for everyone, i was watching the god channel as i usually do when i am together with a friend of mine who is an end of day enthusiast when this pastor came up and started preaching about heaven and the end of days. he talkled about its(heaven) dimension as written in the bible, i looked it up and it was really there, i intially thought he was joking but when i checked, there it was lol. i bet the size is not enough to accomodate the over 1.8 billion christains that we have in the world and those that have long died lol. so even if i believed in heaven its still a chance i won't "fit" according to the bible. so what do you all think about the measurements of heaven in the bible?

Rev 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

Rev 21:2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. . . . . . . (it then goes on to give the dimension of the city)

Rev 21: 14The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Rev 21:15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls.

Rev 21:16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia [fn]in length, and as wide and high as it is long.

Rev 21:17 He measured its wall and it was 144 cubits [fn] thick, [fn] by man's measurement, which the angel was using.
Rev 21:18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass.

my end of days enthusiast friend showed me where he copied the precise dimension from another webpage. he had it in his note book so i copied it.

The measurement of the city described in Revelation chapters 21 and 22 is 12,000 furlongs. A furlong is 1/8 th of a mile. This makes the city about 1500 miles square, or 1500 miles in all directions. That is quite a large city. The total land area of the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii, is 3,717,796 sq miles. The literal land area of the city described in Revelation would be 2,250,000 sq miles. That would make the city a somewhat larger than 1/2 the size of the United States. In addition to that the wall of the city described in Revelation is 1500 miles high. That is an extremely high wall considering that most commercial airliners fly at an altitude of about 7 to 8 miles.
The pastor also said that it should'nt be taken as a literal, he said they are figurative(which is always the excuse). what do you guys make of this?
Re: Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone by huxley(m): 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2008
Good point but you "appear to suffer under the delusion" that the heaven (or the Kingdom of God) is a physical thing. The Bible says, the Kingdom of God is within you, so all these dimensions are just allegorical. smiley Although I fail to see how metrical units could ever be allegorical.
Re: Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone by mazaje(m): 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2008
huxley:

Good point but you "appear to suffer under the delusion" that the heaven (or the Kingdom of God) is a physical thing. The Bible says, the Kingdom of God is within you, so all these dimensions are just allegorical. smiley Although I fail to see how metrical units could ever be allegorical.

if heaven is'nt physical then why does it have dimensions? what about hell? is it invisible too grin grin grin i have seen and meet christains and moslems  who claim to have been to heaven and back and their description is just as it is written in the bible or the koran. they claim to have seen daimonds, gold, angels etc.

metric units  grin grin grin
Re: Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone by huxley(m): 2:10pm On Dec 29, 2008
mazaje:

if heaven is'nt physical then why does it have dimensions? what about hell? is it invisible too grin grin grin i have seen and meet christains and moslems  who claim to have been to heaven and back and their description is just as it is written in the bible or the koran. they claim to have seen daimonds, gold, angels etc.

metric units  grin grin grin

Remember the verses in the bible in which Jesus advises his followers to maim themselves if the suffer problems with sin?  Here it is;
Mark 9
42 And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck.
43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.
45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48where 'their worm does not die,  and the fire is not quenched.'
49Everyone will be salted with fire.

I think these verses are very revealing.  These not only reveal the physical nature of heaven, but they also reveal the physical nature of the "risen" body.  Otherwise, why would Jesus mention maimed bodily parts if a body was not to be associated with the risen sipirt?

So your theses that the paucity of space in heaven is a real problem given that its intended occupants are to take their place in here in bodily form.
Re: Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone by Masheene: 2:20pm On Dec 29, 2008
grin
Re: Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:33pm On Dec 29, 2008
The book of revelation is the most controversial book in the bible, whoever wrote it was a prisoner of his own imagination.
The situation surrounding the authorship is enough to brush it aside as the ranting of yet another hungry and lethargic man trying to feed offscouring to hopeless people.
Re: Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone by bindex(m): 2:35pm On Dec 29, 2008
Huxley grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Dr Fireman's Church's Poster Featuring Hot Girls / What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? / Pics: Look At How Isis Has Turn To Killing Innocent Christian's Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.