Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

The Perils Of Personal Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Perils Of Personal Business (1527 Views)

Nigeria Recession Survival Thread - Personal & Business Support Group / Get No Wahala Loan From UBA Best Of Personal Loan Rate / With 2500 Naira You Can Own Your Personal Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 7:53pm On Feb 02, 2015
Barely everybody want to start personal business these days without minding several perils associated with their golden idea. The true peril of starting your business by quiting your day job is the most devastating emotionally. The point is, till the very first month after starting your own business, it remains as an idea. First month into business is a month experience. Whatever you think, you never can tell what the middle passage between you and business success holds, hence if you must quit your day's job, be sure but also be wary of perils on the way. Remember: do not curse the crocordile's mouth before crossing the river: your boss. It would be devastating emotionally to have quit your job only to find yourself in a fix, after having invested all your savings in a business you are no longer passionate about. That's when you feel like listening to friend's opinion to go begging your former boss for favour. It may be too late. That's it. How did you survive the perilous time? Pls share your experience.

1 Like

Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by stainlex(m): 1:06am On Feb 03, 2015
Just keep believing in your vision. Don't give up! And be sure you damn well quit the job for the right reasons!
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by obiak4(m): 6:23am On Feb 03, 2015
yea even before you decided to quit have enough conviction that this is really what you want to do.always stay positive to your visions

keep hope alive
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 7:08am On Feb 03, 2015
stainlex:
Just keep believing in your vision. Don't give up! And be sure you damn well quit the job for the right reasons!
I agree with you 100%. But you know wherever there is vision, internal or external division lurks in the corner to attack the baby vision. Can we sometimes give up and come back? Is there a virtue in that?
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 7:19am On Feb 03, 2015
obiak4:
yea even before you decided to quit have enough conviction that this is really what you want to do.always stay positive to your visions

keep hope alive
Thanks man, I have the believe that the convictions you have pre- and post enterprise are different. One is enthusiastic conviction, and the other is realistic conviction that you can only get when you have tried. Its hope that get us going inbetween sales and debts that every enterpreneur shall incur.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by stainlex(m): 8:07am On Feb 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I agree with you 100%. But you know wherever there is vision, internal or external division lurks in the corner to attack the baby vision. Can we sometimes give up and come back? Is there a virtue in that?

You shouldn't be cowed by the distracting divisions and if at all things don't go as planned, going back to your 'comfort zone' may not be the way forward. It'll be distracting and will numb your creative potential. That's what I think buddy.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by stainlex(m): 8:11am On Feb 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

You shouldn't be cowed by the distracting divisions. Going back to your 'comfort zone' might just not be the best move as it may distract you and numb your creative potential to set things straight. That's just a personal opinion buddy.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 8:56am On Feb 03, 2015
stainlex:

You shouldn't be cowed by the distracting divisions. Going back to your 'comfort zone' might just not be the best move as it may distract you and numb your creative potential to set things straight. That's just a personal opinion buddy.
What if I abandon the project altogether, is it possible to experience a spark of inspiration that will re-ignite the passion in me? What would you encourage me to do when I am at my wits' end and at loss? What must I do? *sobs*
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 03, 2015
Some jobs are meant to be quit. For your own sanity.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by stainlex(m): 12:39pm On Feb 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
What if I abandon the project altogether, is it possible to experience a spark of inspiration that will re-ignite the passion in me? What would you encourage me to do when I am at my wits' end and at loss? What must I do? *sobs*

That's one euphemism for quitting/giving up and as at when I last checked, quitters don't win. Apparently, you aren't passionate enough about the project. If you were, you would think of different ways of revamping it.

On the flip side, maybe giving up is exactly what you need to align yourself with your real vision. Look and look again before you leap buddy. There goes your second chance then.... Carpe diem!
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by signature2012(m): 1:50pm On Feb 03, 2015
BoboYekini:
I agree with u 100%,some jobs are just destiny stealer,you just work morning till night and you ask yourself,do I truly have passion for this?
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 2:15pm On Feb 03, 2015
stainlex:

That's one euphemism for quitting/giving up and as at when I last checked, quitters don't win. Apparently, you aren't passionate enough about the project. If you were, you would think of different ways of revamping it.

On the flip side, maybe giving up is exactly what you need to align yourself with your real vision. Look and look again before you leap buddy. There goes your second chance then.... Carpe diem!
Thanks pal, a friend in need is a friend indeed. I will stick around and ask people in the business some more honest questions. Sometimes, one sentence can make/save/cost us one million. We just don't know where or when we will encounter such sentence. As such, one just have to pay attention and heed constructive advice.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 2:26pm On Feb 03, 2015
BoboYekini:
Very well, some employers toy with the sanity of their employee to the point that the quality of life depart from the employee and all that is left is shadows. If one fail to quit, even the devil will be annoyed.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by stainlex(m): 2:32pm On Feb 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Thanks pal, a friend in need is a friend indeed. I will stick around and ask people in the business some more honest questions. Sometimes, one sentence can make/save/cost us one million. We just don't know where or when we will encounter such sentence. As such, one just have to pay attention and heed constructive advice.

You're welcome buddy.
Mind giving me a hint as to the kinda business you wanna venture into? Who knows? I might know someone who knows someone who knows someone that knows one or two things about what you need to know to venture in? Won't charge pennies for my thoughts. wink
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 3:32pm On Feb 03, 2015
stainlex:

You're welcome buddy.
Mind giving me a hint as to the kinda business you wanna venture into? Who knows? I might know someone who knows someone who knows someone that knows one or two things about what you need to know to venture in? Won't charge pennies for my thoughts. wink
Hmm, your about to blow the lid. Have been self-employed for 14 good years of rise and occasional fall. Wont pick any job soon, so I have to join a reliable MLM outfit to secure a future as I work on my dreams. I am just reliving the time of struggle along the period, knowing that some are about their year-one of the long stretch we hope culminates in success. We all need somebody to lean on, so I lean on MLM to offset the inherent perils of being self-employed. Many whose foray into business is borne out of search for independent, what you focast on paper is readily questioned by rejections and surprises you meet on the field, but having plan-B gives you sense of direction and self-belief.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by stainlex(m): 3:50pm On Feb 03, 2015
Well, whatever you're doing bro, I need you to know that passion is important! That's the start up capital you'll require...

absoluteSuccess:
Hmm, your about to blow the lid. Have been self-employed for 14 good years of rise and occasional fall. Wont pick any job soon, so I have to join MLM to secure a future as I work on my dreams. I am just reliving time of struggle along the period, knowing that some are about their year-one of the long stretch we hope culminates in success.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 4:13pm On Feb 03, 2015
stainlex:
Well, whatever you're doing bro, I need you to know that passion is important! That's the start up capital you'll require...

Absolutely. Because at first, middle or at last, 'the gain' you envisage in the dream business will fail, you will be left with the real reason you find yourself in that business. If it has not changed, continue. Reasons or motives are the fuel for passion. The road is rough and the journey is full of surprises.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by obiak4(m): 9:24pm On Feb 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Thanks man, I have the believe that the convictions you have pre- and post enterprise are different. One is enthusiastic conviction, and the other is realistic conviction that you can only get when you have tried. Its hope that get us going inbetween sales and debts that every enterpreneur shall incur.
debt should be avoided in business using any method you think works because it one of the major reasons for business failure
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 9:31pm On Feb 03, 2015
obiak4:

debt should be avoided in business using any method you think works because it one of the major reasons for business failure

You are right, but the need for expansion will make you take the bait, as you will always think that if you have more capital you will be able to run your business more profitably.

Well you will discover that it may not be the capital but some other underlying factors that you are yet to pinpoint. But by that time the deed is done, you have to cough out the loan.

Of course I've been there before, and so many have borrowed and make good profit, and so much more has gone under by the same route. Prudence and diligence saves the day.

Now I know, the more you have to start, the more you have to lose.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by obiak4(m): 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

You are right, but the need for expansion will make you take the bait, as you will always think that if you have more capital you will be able to run your business more profitably.

Well you will discover that it may not be the capital but some other underlying factors that you are yet to pinpoint. But by that time the deed is done, you have to cough out the loan.

Of course I've been there before, and so many have borrowed and make good profit, and so much more has gone under by the same route. Prudence and diligence saves the day.

Now I know, the more you have to start, the more you have to lose.
not always and also it's depends on the profitability of the business
a friend of mine wanted to buy 3 truck for business today because he believe he has the money had to advice him to start with two and taste it he is in a hurry to start business without ground work smh for him he was angry and I quietly left him and not to return again
blunt to a fault!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 10:21pm On Feb 03, 2015
obiak4:

not always and also it's depends on the profitability of the business
a friend of mine wanted to buy 3 truck for business today because he believe he has the money had to advice him to start with two and taste it he is in a hurry to start business without ground work smh for him he was angry and I quietly left him and not to return again
blunt to a fault!!!!!!!!!!
So true, when you have some bucks, you may not take friendly advice from someone with less bucks until you make the prouds' silly mistake.
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by obiak4(m): 6:49pm On Feb 04, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
So true, when you have some bucks, you may not take friendly advice from someone with less bucks until you make the prouds' silly mistake.
true but still he makes the mistake then oju e aja but he z still my friend
Re: The Perils Of Personal Business by absoluteSuccess: 9:38pm On Feb 04, 2015
obiak4:

true but still he makes the mistake then oju e aja but he z still my friend
Yes people who want to make mistake are often under the control of the mistake until they make it. They are still good people. Good people, bad mistake. No good mistake.

(1) (Reply)

How To Open And Verify Paypal Account In Nigeria Using ATM Card / sold / Concrete Mixer For Nigeria Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.