Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate (846 Views)

Nigerians Condemn Nba’s Threat Over Judges’ Arrest / Commonwealth Doctors Condemn Buhari’s Medical Trip To London / Nigerians Condemn Buhari’s Appointment Of #bringbackourgirls Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by Marchman: 12:02pm On Feb 03, 2015
Nigerians condemn Buhari for dodging debate

Nigerians have condemned the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Muhammed Buhari, for his refusal to participate in any debate which is the customary practice before a major election.

Nigeria’s presidential election is scheduled for February 14th with nine candidates vying for the presidency.

Gen Buhari’s party, the APC had earlier rejected the debate being organised by the Nigeria Election Debate Group, a body made up of the Broadcast Organisation of Nigeria (BON) and other reputable government and private-sector bodies, accusing the group of being biased in favour of President Jonathan’s Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

In a statement by Garba Shehu, APC’s Presidential Campaign Director for Media and Publicity, the party stated that “a salutary inspection of the composition of NEGD brings into focus the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON), National Television Authority (NTA), Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) and the African Independent Television.

“And going by the avalanche of inflammatory statements, misinformation and blatant lies being propagated by some of these media against our party and candidates contrary to the Koffi Annan brokered Abuja Peace Accord, and the failure of these aggressors to desist and apologise, have left the APC Campaign with no option than to steer clear of any premeditated smear campaign that could be inimical to our prospective electoral success.”

However real trouble began for the Buhari campaign group after a new body led by Channels Television, noted for its professionalism, proposed another presidential debate. Apparently running out of excuses, the Buhari campaign this time did not issue an official statement to reject the proposal.

Dele Alake, an official in the group, told viewers on Channels’ Sunrise programme that the General won’t show up because the APC is still not convinced about the credibility of the new body.

This has infuriated a wide array of Nigerians, especially young people, who were looking forward to the two leading presidential candidates going head-to-head. “I am totally disappointed,” said Anuoluwa Akinremi, a computer science undergraduate at the University of Lagos. “I have campaigned seriously for the Buhari presidency, because I think he represents change. But now I am not so sure. What is he afraid of? Why can’t he enunciate his policies before Nigerians?”

For Emem Eduk, a young graduate of Finance, the general’s refusal to participate in the debates has confirmed his fears that he lacked the intellectual capacity to be run an efficient presidency. “He is marketed as change but listening to him on the campaign trail is not convincing to me. Now he is running away from the debate; that is not change!”

These views seem to represent the general opinion on the General’s refusal to debate. On the popular Nigeria’s online forum, Nairaland, negative reactions have poured in with many of the participants wondering why the General has caught cold feet. A member of the forum, who goes by the name Shircris03, stated that “I’m really saddened by this turn of events. Am I sure the General is the right choice after all? If he is refusing blatantly to debate, how much more addressing serious national issues?”

Imanuelle stated: “Buhari won’t even be able to remember the stats he’s supposed to arm himself with, for the debate. Those guys that work with Channels will make him worse than Obafaiye Shem (of the NSCDC’s website fame).”

A lawyer, Sadiq Haruna stated that there is nothing anybody can do to force General Buhari to debate. “There is nothing in the constitution or in our electoral laws to compel him to debate. So it is within his constitutional right to reject it if he so chooses, even if it is to hide his incompetence.”

Source: http://nigeriantimes.ng/news/nigerians-condemn-buhari-for-dodging-debate/
Re: Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by dunkem21(m): 12:06pm On Feb 03, 2015
Waaaaooohh!

See Nairalanders' comments on Newspapers.

Our voices are being heard all over the country. I said it earlier that FFK, Okupe, Abati, Ambode, Obiagelli, Fashola, Lai, Ebele are regular members on Nairaland.

I have seen my comments lifted from here and used for national campaigns. FFK, Okupe and GEJ; make una give me my right o after the elections. ..and so many selfless contributors.

Seun, Oya carry your hand land this one for front page. Gbowam!

..or tell lalasticlala.
Re: Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by lekkie073(m): 12:11pm On Feb 03, 2015
He has nothing to say.......nothing to offer.....
Re: Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 03, 2015
Marchman:
Nigerians condemn Buhari for debateNigerians

Imanuelle stated: “Buhari won’t even be able to remember the stats he’s supposed to arm himself with, for the debate. Those guys that work with Channels will make him worse than Obafaiye Shem (of the NSCDC’s website fame).”

A lawyer, Sadiq Haruna stated that there is nothing anybody can do to force General Buhari to debate. “There is nothing in the constitution or in our electoral laws to compel him to debate. So it is within his constitutional right to reject it if he so chooses, even if it is to hide his incompetence.”

Source: http://nigeriantimes.ng/news/nigerians-condemn-buhari-for-dodging-debate/

Lol, why will they quote me without paying me?

Eyes dey red oh!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:21pm On Feb 03, 2015
And they didn't even quote Sub-General Barcanista who is hurting so much.
Re: Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 03, 2015
Not participating is unfortunate. However, I will continue the campaign for the General because I believe in him.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 03, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
And they didn't even quote Sub-General Barcanista who is hurting so much.
Bros, abeg na. Wetin I do you today?
Re: Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by agabaI23(m): 6:38pm On Feb 03, 2015
barcanista:
Not participating is unfortunate. However, I will continue the campaign for the General because I believe in him.
You are a loyal friend but I think as principled progressive you are, you should jump ship when you sense that your principles as a progressive is being breached. That way I will know you practise what you preach wink
Re: Nigerians Condemn Buhari For Dodging Debate by benosky(m): 6:43pm On Feb 03, 2015
Am a nigerian and am yet to see any nigerian around condemn buhari because we are fully aware of d reasons behind his action. @op pls speak for urself and nt all nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Fayemi: More Ekiti Rigging Audio Details Coming / Do You Think Yar'Adua Would Have Done Better Than Goodluck Jonathan??? / Jonathan Renews Efforts To Woo South-west Voters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.