Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,434 members, 7,826,680 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! (3864 Views)

I'm Confused About This Dog Breed Before Buying Please Help / Are These Dogs Same Breed / See What These Dogs Were Caught Doing(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by cbay(f): 11:20am On Feb 04, 2015
Hello people, good morning to you. I hope you are having a beautiful day.
Please I need your help in making a decision on which Dog to go for. As a Dog lover, I want to get one for my family as a companion and for security at the same time. But I don't want to make mistake of getting a Dog that is unruly, manner less and ruthlessly aggressive. I have kids at home so I am being particularly careful on the choice of Dog to buy. Kindly review this list and tell me which you prefer for me and why. If you have a better option also let me know. Please! I really need your feedback on this issue. Use the comment section. Thanks. See dog list below:

View my full list here

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by oluomoadebayo: 11:27am On Feb 04, 2015
All dogs are good companion with proper handling but since you are asking this question, I think you are a first time owner. A clear headed bullmastiff would be ideal for your family, friendly, loyal Nd docile but make no mistake , they can protect their pack .

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Seun(m): 11:29am On Feb 04, 2015
The correct answer in Nigeria is almost always "German Shepherd"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by cbay(f): 11:34am On Feb 04, 2015
oluomoadebayo:
All dogs are good companion with proper handling but since you are asking this question, I think you are a first time owner. A clear headed bullmastiff would be ideal for your family, friendly, loyal Nd docile but make no mistake , they can protect their pack .

Yeah I heard. But what is the difference between bullmastiff and Boerboel. They look alike to me. are they good around kids cos my son is barely six months old. it means that any dog i buy now will be full grown before my son gets to 2yrs. I dont want any unfortunate incident oo. I have heard and seen scary stories
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by TrishaP(f): 11:35am On Feb 04, 2015
I prefer the German Shepherd(K9). No 3
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by TVmhm: 11:36am On Feb 04, 2015
yh...i agree with oluomoadebayo......and oga seun u are probably right ...but truth is as a first timer plus you want a fantastic dog which would be a lovable,obedient ,family and security Dog ...A GSD should be the one...my thoughts ...

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by cbay(f): 11:36am On Feb 04, 2015
Seun:
The correct answer in Nigeria is almost always "German Shepherd"

My friend tells me GSD's are too noisy and overly playful although very intelligent. Is this true? I learnt it is also easy to scam people with fake GSD's . I mean cross breed
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by TVmhm: 11:43am On Feb 04, 2015
cbay:

Yeah I heard. But what is the difference between bullmastiff and Boerboel. They look alike to me. are they good around kids cos my son is barely six months old. it means that any dog i buy now will be full grown before my son gets to 2yrs. I dont want any unfortunate incident oo. I have heard and seen scary stories
there are lots of difference btw the both but people sometimes confuse them
bull mastiff has a thicker and darker skin in most cases....also have more folds buT less dropping jaws more body physique and shorter mouth ..a few amongst many...and as for your baby.......thats a more reason u should get a gsd....which are more lovable and intelligent ...i will advise u to get a month old puppy(any sex) do he can grow with it ...and at 2yrs u dog mite even love your son more than you.. smiley ...if u care u can reach me on 08080488144
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by TVmhm: 11:51am On Feb 04, 2015
cbay:

My friend tells me GSD's are too noisy and overly playful although very intelligent. Is this true? I learnt it is also easy to scam people with fake GSD's . I mean cross breed
gsd's are not noisy ..they are security conscious .....and about the deceit of "croas breeds".....when u see a proper gsd u would know....and plus u should check d dogs parents too....sorry for being everywhere on this thread....thanks
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by TVmhm: 12:01pm On Feb 04, 2015
the english mastiff is also a wonderful family dog ...if u need one of those ...my number is above
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by oluomoadebayo: 12:14pm On Feb 04, 2015
Well GSD is good but their energy lever around a kid is my concern. If you get a pure one as a puppy, he will jump,play and always want to be with everyone and unknowingly, he could injure a kid. A good bullmastiff is intimidating to strangers and be a perfect television dog. For a boerbull , I never raise one so I can't give you first hand advice on the breed.
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Apitch(m): 12:21pm On Feb 04, 2015
Nobody can give U that answer! Dogs, outside their temperaments are what u make out of them, they can be well trained or otherwise. Choose a dog u like best in the list and train him/her well.
The issue of mixed GSD's is so real and please u can't know a pure dog by seeing them, ur eye no be DNA and as a novice, u can fall prey easily
Bullmastifs are also known as gentle giants so it's a good option
St bernard are baby sitters, perfect with children but are not too security conscious but na for person wey know cos the size alone is scary
Boerboel, rots etc are normal dogs that will act the way u train them
Lastly the choice depends on what u like in a dog

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by cbay(f): 12:27pm On Feb 04, 2015
Apitch:
Nobody can give U that answer! Dogs, outside their temperaments are what u make out of them, they can be well trained or otherwise. Choose a dog u like best in the list and train him/her well.
The issue of mixed GSD's is so real and please u can't know a pure dog by seeing them, ur eye no be DNA and as a novice, u can fall prey easily
Bullmastifs are also known as gentle giants so it's a good option
St bernard are baby sitters, perfect with children but are not too security conscious but na for person wey know cos the size alone is scary
Boerboel, rots etc are normal dogs that will act the way u train them
Lastly the choice depends on what u like in a dog
Thanks Apitch. Nice tips. I live in Abuja. I hope to get one this month I'l keep u updated when i visit a friends kernel this weekend
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Seun(m): 1:04pm On Feb 04, 2015
One way to avoid or mitigate the issue of mixed GSDs is to buy an adult dog that has been raised in a home with young kids, similar to yours.
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by oluomoadebayo: 1:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
Seun:
One way to avoid or mitigate the issue of mixed GSDs is to buy an adult dog that has been raised in a home with young kids, similar to yours.

Not everyone can handle an adult dog and not even a first timer. You need a solid pack structure system.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Nutase: 5:03pm On Feb 04, 2015
Think local....Think Nigeria local breed

Advantages
Low cost of maintenance
High sense of reponsibility
Physically strong (ajepako)
Hustler
Demands minimal attention
You wont feel much pain if something bad happens to it cos of low investment cost on your pockets.
Hardly falls sick
Can eat anything
Eliminates cost of visiting a vet
Understands how local thieves think.

.....proudly naija

4 Likes

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by arcbay(m): 9:05pm On Feb 04, 2015
None of those breeds suits u... Your best bet is a lhasa apso. They're good around kids, and considering the fact that u have a suckling, getting a pet dog is one u should consider.
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by sportin(m): 11:03pm On Feb 04, 2015
If I would advice u, I'd say the GSD cz they are good with kids, all u need to do is set restrictions and limitations when raising this dog as a puppy which u'll have to do when u get other breeds that they're suggesting too....As for identifying mixed German shepherds is simple...All you need to do is get a good and reputable breeder which am sure u can find on NL here...But always request to see the parents and research the breed online and see if the parents meet the criteria....that's ur best bet.
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by cbay(f): 10:19am On Feb 12, 2015
Seun:

Oga Seun, I'm so happy I finally Got my puppy. Its a boerboel. I don't know the color but i think it's brindle something... The mother is quite huge and the father is bigger. The dog cost sha no be small. What do you think of my new pup? It's about 5 weeks old and the seller advised me to leave it to be weaned by its mom till its about 2 months before i come pick it up. He also promised to carry out all the necessary vaccinations before i come collect. What do you think. Does it look good and pure (I can;t tell by looking). I hear the dog breed eats too much is this true?? see the picture of my new pup. I plan to name her Chloe

1 Share

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Seun(m): 3:57pm On Feb 12, 2015
@cbay: Boerboel? Why? What led you to believe that a boerboel is a great dog for a family with young kids? Of course, with very good training, almost any breed of dog can be good for a family with kids, so you have no reason to regret your purchase, but it's very surprising to me.

The info on this page will be hepful: http://www.african-boerboel.co.za/children.htm Congrats!
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
Seun:
@cbay: Boerboel? Why? What led you to believe that a boerboel is a great dog for a family with young kids? Of course, with very good training, almost any breed of dog can be good for a family with kids, so you have no reason to regret your purchase, but it's very surprising to me.

The info on this page will be hepful: http://www.african-boerboel.co.za/children.htm Congrats!

Oga seun objection my Lord. A neighbor of mine owns 3 Rots and they are not friendly even with his family. I was told they burst a visitors car tire with teeth. He only lets them out late at night and lock em up by 6am.
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 12, 2015
You made the right decision, a pup is the best for you to adopt coz it is known that a newly adopted grown dogs are always very unfriendly to kids but as for the pups, you will be the one to train it in your own way...

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by ireneony(f): 11:44pm On Feb 12, 2015
Op I will advice you to go for the one from Germany..I mean no.2
The dog is just too beautiful
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Zammy123(m): 11:54am On Feb 13, 2015
U should have gotten an alabai dog
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by Apitch(m): 2:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
Nice one dear! Good choice, just research more about the dog and enjoy the company when U finally get him/her home
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by BOUNTYDOG(m): 4:46pm On Feb 13, 2015
cbay:

The difference between bullmastiffs and boerboels aside the looks is in their xters,the bullmastiffs are quite gentle,rarely barks and swifter in movement than the boerboels.although many cannot tell the difference in their looks,but when you become familiar with a pure bred bullmastiff and a pure bred boerboel,you will easily notice the difference in the looks.
The bullmastiffs has a dentition where its lower jaw portrudes over the upper jaw.
They are called the game keepers dog as they were bred to work in game house to watch anyone that steals a game,and so they perform excellently with crowd unlike the boerboels that can be intimidated by crowd.
The bullmastiffs get along well with human,even kids,you can train ur bullmastiff that you child can get along well with him,even sleep on him and he will tolerate,
They are very observant,though their look are scary,
I recommend a bullmastiff dog for anyone
The GSDs is always the dog for 1st timers in Nigeria because of its price,but they can be quite noisy and restless.
Re: Which Of These Dogs Should I Go For? I'm Confused! by timifakay(m): 10:22pm On Feb 14, 2015
I think a GSD is good for first timers because GSDs are intelligent and they learn fast.

Looks like you knew what you were gonna buy before asking the forum.

(1) (Reply)

Dog Rescued From Clutches Of A Big Python In Awka / Diary of My Leo!!! / Rescue Of A Dying Boerbul (brindle).... !!! Her Personal Diary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.