Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! (35770 Views)

Is The Osu Caste System Still Practiced In Eastern Nigeria? / Osu Caste System In Igboland- A Tradition Painted With Discrimination- Oldnaija / Osu Caste System, Igbo Tradition Yet To Be Discarded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Jennydoris(f): 5:11pm On Feb 11, 2015
gbosaa:

Never knew that rubbish still happens in Isuofia.i know lots of Nwosus in ezioka village. Btw I thought pokobros aka Paul Okonkwo was osu...very silly tradition I must say.

Yea, silly tradition indeed. Pokobros was an OSU or still is... that's what I heard.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 9:01pm On Feb 11, 2015
Jennydoris:

Yea, silly tradition indeed. Pokobros was an OSU or still is... that's what I heard.

But it doesn't stop people going to house to feast and accept his gifts during Christmas period.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Jennydoris(f): 10:35pm On Feb 11, 2015
gbosaa:

But it doesn't stop people going to house to feast and accept his gifts during Christmas period.

My brother... where there is money even your worst kins men forgets who or what you are provided you are ready to throw your money around. But then being an OSU and having money at the same time does not stop people from associating with you but when it comes to marriage... Its only the stone minded parents that does not care one bit of what the people will say will extend that hand of relationship to marriage.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by ahujesus: 2:20pm On Feb 12, 2015
Having taken my time to read every statement word for word and lines for line, its brings so much pain to my heart that we are really unteachable and we don't have the spirit of of in us.

P
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Eseries(m): 2:21pm On Feb 12, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

Igbos killed twins? U dey craze abi?

And btw only criminal Obos could be soiled by their own kinsmen.

Also slavery in Afroca was different from slaves treatment in the Americas.

Bro e neva reach make we fight!
Igbos (or at least some parts of Igbos) killed twins at birth. They usually throw them away into "ajo afia" and the helpless babies will die through starvation, cold or even soldier ant attack.
have heard heart breaking stories of mothers or local midwives killing and hiding one of the twins to save the life of the other!
Heard Akanu Ibiam is originally from Edda but had a twin brother at birth, The mom eloped to neighboring Uwana where they settle and He was adopted as a native.
As for slavery! our fathers sold their brothers to slave merchants/whitemen.
I did not make up all these, they all stories told to me my the elderly ones most of them are now deceased.
abum ezigbo nwa afo toro na ime ezi!
we have to accept everything about our past then make amend where necessary! That is the way forward!

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Eseries(m): 2:26pm On Feb 12, 2015
macof:

Did Igbos ever practice killing of twins where and when?

Yes they did!
research! Especially the Igbo area around Calabar/Akwa Ibom
Ever heard of Mary slessor?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Eseries(m): 2:28pm On Feb 12, 2015
macof:

Did Igbos ever practice killing of twins where and when?
Yes they did!
especially the igbo area around Calabar/Akwa Ibom
Ever heard of Mary Slessor?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Eseries(m): 2:31pm On Feb 12, 2015
Radoillo:

You seem genuinely interested in understanding 'Osu'. I'll tell you what I know, based on what elderly folks told me. (Like I said the Osu system has completely disappeared from the area of Igboland I hail from).

First of all, this thing about Osu being used as blood sacrifice is pure nonsense. An Osu belonged to the gods and it was an abomination to shed Osu blood. In fact, in some places, Osu had the reputation of troublemakers, despoiling peoples' farm and such because they knew no one would dare touch them.

It is equally not true that 'discrimination' against osu began with Christianity. To understand the so-called discrimination, one has to understand how an Osu is made. An Osu was a slave owned by a god. As a property of the gods, Osu did hold a powerful place in religious and ritual matters. As a slave however, he couldn't have the same rights that freeborn had. He couldn't marry a freeborn, he couldn't participate in political life like the freeborn, and he couldn't take titles.

Think of Osu as a eunuch in an oriental royal household. He could become very powerful, but still had an inferior status as a slave and an emasculated man.

iji ya!
well explained!
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by ahujesus: 2:34pm On Feb 12, 2015
Having taken my time to read every statement word for word and lines for line, its brings so much pain to my heart that we are really unteachable and we don't have the spirit of of in us.

Please there are no ill feelings in my write up but this is just an open pinon of mine and a way forward.

There are so many thing-we cant change as a man or woman born into a family(this is where we found our selves, you can change or chose your gather nor mother , you were born into and as such, so of us wished to have been born of an American father or mother but hey you were born of a Nigerian parents, those that reduce who you are?

Lets take it one after the other, the OSU, ORU, OHU, UMEH or what have you is one of the most barbaric , annoyance, disgusting and nonsense practice ever done in the igboland , yea so many tribes in Nigeria have there own annoying practice too , but lets remain withinn this topic.

whatsoever is the niche that brought aboy the practice should be attended to, NONE I MEAN NONE, NO one has the power , the right, the effrontery , the guts to label or call another follow human being like him or her a name that God NEVER CALLED HIM OR HER.

Come to think of it if you call a person an osu because his forefathers served the same god your own fore father's served, it means you are the same as he is, the osus has many things or means different things to so many people
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by ahujesus: 3:09pm On Feb 12, 2015
Having taken my time to read every statement word for word and lines for line, its brings so much pain to my heart that we are really unteachable and we don't have the spirit of being human in us.

Please there are no ill feelings in my write up but this is just an open opinion of mine and a way forward.

There are so many thing-we cant change as a man or woman born into a family(this is where we found our selves, you can change or chose your father or mother , you were born into and as such, so of us wished to have been born of an American father or mother but hey you were born of a Nigerian parents, dose that reduce who you are?

Lets take it one after the other, the OSU, ORU, OHU, UMEH or what have you is one of the most barbaric , annoying, disgusting and nonsense practice ever done in the igboland , yes so many tribes in Nigeria have there own annoying practice too , but lets remain within this topic.

whatsoever is the niche that brought about the practice should be attended to, NONE I MEAN NONE, NO one has the power , the right, the effrontery , the guts to label or call another follow human being like him or her a name that God NEVER CALLED HIM OR HER.

Come to think of it if you call a person an osu because his forefathers served the same god your own fore father's served, it means you are the same as he is, the osus has many things or means different things to so many people

Some family members were dedicate to serve the priest as at that time, where our so called forefathers of both the freeborn and osus worshiped, it simply means we all served the same gods and that we cant discriminate, in fact the osus should be referenced more than the so called free born in tots my though

But for whatsoever reasons, how would you feel or come to the fact that you were born into an osu family, that you were not born into such families does not give you the right that you are better than the other man or woman,let me ask you a question IGBO WEM, when you die will you carry the caste system to heaven or hell?

No man is born with two heads and no man is born with the name osu on his fore head, the holy books records that we are made in the image and likeness of God , that puts the question into our hearts that when we truly discriminate and segregate our brothers , when we get to heaven( OR HELL )are we going to do same too( let thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven)

he has got one head so do u,
his got two eyes so do u,
his got two ears so do u, his hot two hands and legs so do you ,
his got a body so do you too,
you eat the same food he eats
when you die you will be buried in the same ground he will be buried

Life has taught us all to appreciate one another and show love in all we do ,cos love conquers all,DO TO OTHERS WHAT YOU WISH THEM TO DO UNTO YOU, this the law nothing more to it

Lots of us here say all sorts and we feel, if we put ourselves in this peoples position we can be as strong as them but believe you me , we are all one , on the last day God our maker will not ask you if u are OSU, ORU, OHU, UMEH , DIALA, NWAAFOR , NWALAA YORUBA , EFIK OR HAUSA, , AMERICAN OR ASIAN you will so give account of your actions here on earth.

Yes we all got traditions , we all have roots and we come from some where , wont it be better you remain the pagan than calling the name of Jesus and being on the fence , an you aRe a born hypocrite, we cant be ruled by tradition when we follow the ways of the gospel, Jesus died for all , slaves and masters alike and he did nOt discriminate any one(in fact he died for us while we are still sinners)

you cant be here and the same time there , we should always recall that we cant live for ever no matter the number of years we live here, so its better we make our live worth the living , so that we will not scared when we are leaving.

Also bear in mind that nothing unclean will enter the kingdom of heaven ,in fact be the head in ur church , the leader in scared heart charismatic, pastor , parent who says and who stops the will of God NOT to hold on marriage cos of a tradition here on earth , you will answer in heaven for causing a broken heart, NO LAW, RULE , TRADITION AND POWER IS GREATER OR REPLACES THE WORD OF GOD.

When the so called kinsmen , umunna or family members despise you , recall always that you are right with God and stick to him , some day these people will not be there to decide for your God at all.

I STAND FOR THE TRUTH , I VERGE FOR THE TRUTH, IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME OR YOU MY BROTHER OR SISTER, IT CAN BE ANY ONE , YES THE HOLY ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND THE PROTESTANTS CHURCHES HAS KICKED AGAINST THIS AND IN FACT , THEY WILL GO HEAD AND WED THE COUPLE AS LONG AS THE TWO PEOPLE INVOLVED ARE READY FOR THE MARRIAGE ANY OTHER PERSON WHO FROWNS AT THIS HAS TO ANSWER GOD WHEN HIS VENGEANCE COMES ALONG, no law or person or community is greater than the church of God m the word of God.

Even if you go ahead and marry your likes in quote does it mean that there are no issues in any marriage what soever , abolish the lies from the pits of hell of the fact that when you marriage an osu in quote this happen and that happens , friends , no marriage is made in heaven or , the one closest to it was the garden of Eden , yet it has it own issues too.

I SO PRAY FOR ALL IGBO MEN AND WOMAN WHO HOLD THIS TRADITION MORE THAN THEIR GOD TO CHANGE THERE WAYS AND PREPARE TO MAKE HEAVEN ,COS WE ARE ALL EQUAL IN THE SIGTH OF GOD

chukwu gozie unu

amen
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by lionduke(m): 4:11pm On Feb 12, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
I have heard that before, but don't know if its true.
it's no rumour.
it's true.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 4:36pm On Feb 12, 2015
sonnie10:

When people hear sacrifices, they think about killing and slaughtering. Osu were never killed, they were only given to the gods as living sacrifices. As a matter of fact, it was an abomination to shed the blood of an Osu
grin grin you are right, Sacrifice comes in various forms. Even I misinterpreted the whole sacrifice idea
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 4:46pm On Feb 12, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

You dont get it. Theres nothing remotely good about osu caste system. It was a traditional practise that turned into an obnoxious discriminatory system. Christianity merely opened people's eyes. Persons of various faiths in igbo land have condemned practises like d osu system not just the churches.

Christiniaty has helped Igbos get rid of many traditional practises that are incompatible with modern values. Practises like d caste system, killing of twins, etc

As for christianity not to be trusted, all i can say is dat christianity should not be judged by the actions of christians especially when some of their actions are contrary to the message of Christ. While the message of Christ is divine, His followers are not; they are human after all.

I am nt talking about actions of Christians but the whole story of christianity from inception till date, there has been more lies and manipulative tactics
...anyway that's nt the issue here

Fact is Osu is a tradition Igbo system, like against many other traditions in today's African, christianity and Islam has brought hatred and resentment but above all misinformation about traditions.

In what Igbo Towns were killing of twins ever practised? wat are ur sources?? Because maybe contrary to what you learnt from school and church, Killing of twins is only known in the Efik city of Calabar.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 4:49pm On Feb 12, 2015
Radoillo:

You seem genuinely interested in understanding 'Osu'. I'll tell you what I know, based on what elderly folks told me. (Like I said the Osu system has completely disappeared from the area of Igboland I hail from).

First of all, this thing about Osu being used as blood sacrifice is pure nonsense. An Osu belonged to the gods and it was an abomination to shed Osu blood. In fact, in some places, Osu had the reputation of troublemakers, despoiling peoples' farm and such because they knew no one would dare touch them.

It is equally not true that 'discrimination' against osu began with Christianity. To understand the so-called discrimination, one has to understand how an Osu is made. An Osu was a slave owned by a god. As a property of the gods, Osu did hold a powerful place in religious and ritual matters. As a slave however, he couldn't have the same rights that freeborn had. He couldn't marry a freeborn, he couldn't participate in political life like the freeborn, and he couldn't take titles.

Think of Osu as a eunuch in an oriental royal household. He could become very powerful, but still had an inferior status as a slave and an emasculated man.

Sure I am always interested in matters concerning culture and tradition of Southern Nigerians especially

Thank you for the information
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 4:54pm On Feb 12, 2015
Eseries:

Yes they did!
especially the igbo area around Calabar/Akwa Ibom
Ever heard of Mary Slessor?

What is known is Mary Slessor in Calabar nt Igbo areas around calabar
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by sonnie10: 4:55pm On Feb 12, 2015
macof:

grin grin you are right, Sacrifice comes in various forms. Even I misinterpreted the whole sacrifice idea

The consequence of killing or shedding the blood (mme pu ta obara) of an Osu is that the person automatically becomes an Osu. There was no remedy. I would assume that the reason it is/was so is for them to be protected since they did have people or kinsmen who would have spoken for them. Again, no one wanted to tamper with that which belongs to the gods for obvious reasons.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by ElekeNtioba: 10:09am On Feb 13, 2015
macof:

I am nt talking about actions of Christians but the whole story of christianity from inception till date, there has been more lies and manipulative tactics
...anyway that's nt the issue here

Fact is Osu is a tradition Igbo system, like against many other traditions in today's African, christianity and Islam has brought hatred and resentment but above all misinformation about traditions.

In what Igbo Towns were killing of twins ever practised? wat are ur sources?? Because maybe contrary to what you learnt from school and church, Killing of twins is only known in the Efik city of Calabar.

killing of twins was widespread in some parts of igboland but it wasnt as documented as dat of d efik. Most families killed off the twins quietly as soon as they were born. My late grandfather played a key role in putting an end to it in my community decades after mary slessor was gone.

FYI, the efik and some igbo tribes share some common cultures including d superstitions surrounding twins.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by absoluteSuccess: 12:53pm On Feb 13, 2015
success is the ultimate revenge from evil classifications of man,
when you succeed, they will abandon their caste-craze-case.

secure an absolute success and silence the fools.
They are not gods.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by phenol33(m): 10:16am On Feb 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:
This whole Osu thing is exaggerated out of proportion. I was born and spent all my life in the east until 2013 and I have never seen nor encountered an Osu before. I don't even know any Osu personally. I've read of it only in books. There is no open discrimination in Igboland as to Osu vs Nwadiana. Hausas and non-Igbos alike living in the east will readily attest to this. Osuship only becomes an issue when it comes to marriage or kingship issues in a village. And it is practiced only in certain areas of Igboland especially in Owerri and within a 100-mile radius axis, parts of Abia state and virtually missing in Delta Igbo (Anioma), Anambra, Rivers, Ebonyi and Enugu states. I am yet to encounter an 'osu' in person.
that is because u neva asked questions... but due to there violent nature.. no body calls them osu in public
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Ostella2: 3:50pm On Aug 20, 2017
Hello read all comments and glad that there are like minds here. Osu is ancient and satanic. It can be reversed cos it took the declaration of the king to place the curse and will take the declaration of the present to reverse it. Join us the freeborns who are ready to set them free on bbm pin d8d2fd2b. Or on whatsapp 08156446434. It is our generation, we are the forefathers of tomorrow.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Ostella2: 3:51pm On Aug 20, 2017
Hello read all comments and glad that there are like minds here. Osu is ancient and satanic. It can be reversed cos it took the declaration of the king to place the curse and will take the declaration of the present king to reverse it. Join us the freeborns who are ready to set them free on bbm pin d8d2fd2b. Or on whatsapp 08156446434. It is our generation, we are the forefathers of tomorrow.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by aribisala0(m): 10:03am On Jun 22, 2018
Ebolas are wicked people
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by TheExclusive: 11:37am On Mar 24, 2020
If ones grandfather married a third wife that is osu. And you are the grand daughter of the first wife, does that now make you osu?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Anazp: 8:27pm On Jul 31, 2021
nkemdi89:
The practice of osu can never be abolished in the east,no matter your level of education or civilization this system is an age longed tradition, that's why most of them marries outside the east, besides its a very dicey discussion in the east cos you may not know who is an osu thereby risking your life as the person you are discussing with might be which may led to him or her harming u out of frustration, also I heard that there are signs of knowing one. As long as culture continues to exist the discrimination continues, but the good thing about them is that most of are succesful people today.
what are the signs to know one

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Declares Ifa Priests Wanted, Sues Them For Giving Oyinbo Titles / The Message A Man Received From A Nigerian And An Argentinian Lady Over Culture / Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.