Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,291 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo (28702 Views)

Photos : Namadi Sambo Hands Over Aguda House To Prof. Yemi Osinbajo / Sir Adeyemi Osinbajo - Prof Yemi Osinbajo's Father (photo) / Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by WinsomeX: 8:31pm On Feb 04, 2015
[size=16pt]OPEN LETTER TO PROF YEMI OSINBAJO
[/size]
I greet you sir in the name of our blessed Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I trust God that it is well with you and all of yours. I, along with other Nigerians, came into this new week - a week preceding the coming election - with the news that the leadership of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), along with prominent members of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN), held a meeting at the Redeemed Camp along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway over the weekend, with you present, where it was said that the candidacy of Goodluck Jonathan was endorsed over Gen. Buhari for the coming elections1. I wish to state categorically in this letter that CAN has not expressed the general opinion of Nigerian Christians. I want to encourage your spirit by saying that even if leading Pastors in this country have chosen Jonathan ahead of Buhari, your principal in the coming elections; there are some Nigerian Christians who disagree with this position. And I want to apologize to you for the trauma that you must have endured this last weekend as you watched men in the same work of Christ along with you, reject you for whatever reasons best known to them. I will start my letter to you by briefly telling you the story of my conversion to Buharism. Then I will try to locate the underlying motive behind the decision of these pastors in rejecting you. Finally, I would encourage you to focus on the task ahead of not just winning this election but also helping to salvage Nigeria from the grip of the lawlessness ones.

My Conversion to Buharism

As a Christian minister, there is an incidence in the bible that I am sure you are familiar with. It is one that involved the bible character Joshua. It reads: "13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? 14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant? 15 And the captain of the LORD'S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so."2 Many bible scholars agree that this story is one of many incidences where the Lord Jesus Christ appeared in his pre-incarnate form in the Old Testament. Here our Lord gives a relevant instruction to both Joshua and all of us Christians as you face probably the biggest warfare of your life. Joshua waned to know whether Jesus was for Israel or for the enemies. Jesus announces to him that he was for neither. In the process Joshua discovers something that causes him to worship God. I believe what Joshua discovered was that at the point of life's greatest wars, God never appears to take side with any group; rather he stands on the path of truth, verity and justice. And God will side with any group that has these elements present in their make up. I wish to state that God is neither for a Christian candidate in the election nor for a Muslim candidate; he neither for CAN or for a Muslim group; rather God is siding with any group or party that espouses the principles of truth, justice and development this country desperately needs at these times. Any other group that might mouth these tenets but deny them in practice will not have the support of the Almighty God.

These are essentially the sentiments that I came to grasp with when I converted to Buharism. Following Pastor Tunde Bakare and the Save Nigeria Group's endorsement of the candidacy of Gen. Buhari in December 2010, I gave the GMB option a thorough study and came to the conclusion that he was a better presidential candiditate in the 2011 elections. What solidified my position further was the attitude and sentiments expressed by fellow Christians to this decision of mine. It was clear to me that unlike our Lord and Savior who will side only with truth, Christians very readily threw away the Buhari option merely because he was a Muslim. The lie that he would Islamize Nigeria also did not help. On becoming a Buharist, I sat down to understudy the whole foundation of my faith in Christ and I discovered that many of it was faulty. Since then I have had to discard many cherished practices in the Christian faith and even leave the local assembly I had worshipped with for eight years. At the close of the day, Buharism brought me into a firmer and clearer grasp of the person of Jesus Christ. And I am sure anyone will agree that this is spiritual growth indeed. Buharism showed me that Christianity is not a mere religion but sincere love for human beings, regardless of the faith they profess. It showed me that truth and justice are the foundation on which God's throne was founded. It showed me that a person need not profess Christ to be used by him to better society. It showed me that God could still replay the story of Cyrus in rebuilding a fallen nation of Israel in our present political history. Despite my conversion to Buharism, I remain a Christian. But a Christian with a clearer grasp of the person of Jesus Christ. I am now a Christian that is not bound by mere religious sentiments or parochial mindsets. This is what I believe a lot of Christians become when they come to know and support the candidacy of Gen. Buhari.

The Motive of these Pastors in Rejecting You

About two weeks ago, a news items surfaced from one of the many online news agencies in our country. It said, among other things, that a certain individual had been given large sums of money from the presidency of Nigeria to distribute to leading pastors in this country to garner their support towards the coming presidential elections3. While the veracity of this news item can be disputed, it is yet to be refuted by the individual who was clearly named by the news agency. I hope to show here that the motive in rejecting you at that meeting last weekend may not be too far from this incidence. Jesus taught us that there are two gods men worship: mammon or God4. There are no other options. This challenge is bedeviling the Christian faith at the moment and the end result is that the motives that underlie people's actions generally in life might either be for gain or for God. It is not news anymore that Nigerian Christianity is becoming the leading harbinger of a money gospel that many have very appropriately labeled the prosperity gospel. Neither is it surprising that majority of the men who rejected you in that meeting are the leading propagators of the prosperity message in our country. While the prosperity message has many tenets that one cannot explore at the moment, the key point of it all is money: how to get it and how to retain it. Thus the harbingers of this message follow the gangster rapper's philosophy of life: "Get Money or Die Trying"5. This philosophy stands in stark contrast to that of our Lord that instructed us not to make money our god or that of the apostle Paul that taught that if we have food and clothing we should be content6.

Therefore, when these pastors who espouse a money gospel came face to face with deciding on who to support in the forthcoming elections, it was not difficult for them to decide against a sound and properly laid out manifesto of the APC; neither did they have any qualms in discarding brilliant minds in the person of yourself and other leading APC stalwarts; they could not see any virtue in a leader that has no trace of corruption in his record of public service in the person of Buhari; neither did they see the new opportunity for change that the APC offers. These pastors very easily chose what has from the foundation of their ministries informed every other decision they have made in the past: they simply chose what will bring them money, advantage, acceptance with the powers that be; they fell to the god of mammon and gain that they have all along worshipped.

The Road Ahead

I was part of the people who met with you at the "I Have Decided" rally held at Teslim Balogun Stadium two weekends ago. I had received an email requesting my presence and had to travel from Ibadan on short notice that weekend to see you enumerate in fifteen minutes the vision of the APC for the coming political dispensation. That vision is what I wish you will focus on now because we shall reach that goal as a nation by the help of God. At that meeting, you taught us, Christians and Muslims alike, to join forces together to deliver our streets, neighborhoods and offices to Gen. Muhammadu Buhari in the forthcoming elections. The "Change" fever has since caught everyone and most people I know are ready to vote anything but this present contraption we call a government. I receive calls for money and aids from Pastors in Maiduguri and I realize that what I could actually give them to help salvage that besieged Nigerian city is a new government of Buhari who is known to have tackled insurgency in the past and can do it again.

The road ahead will include a preparedness to enter into the greatest assignment of your life so far, which is to lead the largest black nation on earth. A nation that has been bastardized by years of harlot leaders but which now has the opportunity to have a scion of the late Obafemi Awolowo lead her and help introduce and implement the hundreds of laudable ideas that late sage had written in his books. You have a great opportunity to do well for Nigeria in the coming years. The road ahead will also include forgiveness and a reevaluation of your faith in Christ. When you come to power, like Joseph did, you must forgive your brethren who are at the moment selling you away for a pot of red porridge. You are coming to power to help save Nigeria from imminent doom and this is the path that God has chosen for you. These men, who have rejected you now, will face their shame in the days to come. But it is your duty and mine to forgive them and help them realize the folly of their action. To employ the words of the sitting president when he came to power in 2011, General Buhari and yourself "must hit the ground running" from May 29th onwards.

There is so much to do. There is a nation to save and rebuild. There are insurgent elements all around the country that must be silenced. There is an economy to revamp. There is a nation to help place in the map of advancing countries in the world of science and technology. There is a sea of human capitals among Nigerians youths waiting to be harnessed to turn this nation into a developed country. There is an African continent waiting for Nigeria to offer the lead to development and progress. The list is endless. In short, Nigeria is waiting for the manifestation of a son of God7.

Conclusion

It is my sincere hope that the aim of this letter, which is to uphold your hand in the events of the coming elections, has been achieved.

I had argued in previous essays that Christians were not participating enough in partisan politics. I envisioned that a day will arise when a position shall be left in public office that a Christian alone could fill and there would hardly be anyone around to fill it. I am happy to see that when that situation arose in the APC, the leadership of the party found an experienced individual in your person to fill the gap. Despite your rejection by an arm of Christian leaders in the country, please be informed that a host of others support you. And more than anything else, the God of heaven is with you8.

Be rest assured that the prayers of God's people are with you and you have our unalloyed support in this mission. The duty of nation building is undoubtedly prominently connected with our responsibility to make disciples of all nations. If Nigeria, our Jerusalem, knows peace and progress; our calling to reach the world with the gospel of Christ will only be made a lot easier. Go forth and make history.

God bless you.

References

1. www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/02/02/bakare-blasts-can-pfn-for-endorsing-jonathan/www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/02/02/bakare-blasts-can-pfn-for-endorsing-jonathan/
2. Joshua 5:13-15
3. www.saharareporters.com/2015/01/29/kennedy-okpara-distributing-jonathan’s-bribes-pastors
4. Matthew 6:24
5."Get Money or Die Trying" is the name of the hit album by American Gangster Rapper 50cents. One finds that the Prosperity Preachers share similar philosophy with Rappers.
6. 1 Timothy 6:6
7. Romans 8:19
8. Hebrew 13:5

193 Likes 19 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by SeverusSnape(m): 8:35pm On Feb 04, 2015
Nice one.
I hope he gets to read it.

25 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by WinsomeX: 8:37pm On Feb 04, 2015
^^^Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Vicotex(m): 8:49pm On Feb 04, 2015
Op, this is straight fire
**MODIFIED**
I just finished reading the whole text and all i can say is "Stand for something or fall for Anything".

Buhari will be defeated again.
#Gejtill 2019

124 Likes 10 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Collynzo419: 8:57pm On Feb 04, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Nice one.

Vicotex:
Op, this is straight fire

I can bet that none of you read the article.

Try and read it please and you will not be very happy people.

I can summarize it for you:

Nigerians want change and cannot wait for Febuari 14th.

136 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by demelza: 8:59pm On Feb 04, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Nice one.
Very commendable of you.
I actually thought you would drop a scathing remark.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Vicotex(m): 9:03pm On Feb 04, 2015
Collynzo419:

you bad gan, hw u take knw say i no read that wall of text?

#anyway let me read it

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by SeverusSnape(m): 9:05pm On Feb 04, 2015
demelza:
Very commendable of you.
I actually thought you would drop a scathing remark.
I say the truth when I see it. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by SeverusSnape(m): 9:06pm On Feb 04, 2015
Collynzo419:

I read it.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Rilwayne001: 9:06pm On Feb 04, 2015
WinsomeX:
^^^Thank you.

1000likes for you.

[size=15pt] GOD BLESS YOU @OP....I PRAY THIS GETS TO PROFESSOR OSINBAJO

No weapon fashion against the APC shall prosper

Febuhari cool [/size]

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Akpan107(m): 9:07pm On Feb 04, 2015
I just feel it will be waste of time to start reading all that...

GEJ is what everybody want in Nigeria!

69 Likes 9 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by naija2dabone(m): 9:14pm On Feb 04, 2015
Evry dck is writing a letter. Interesting time.

Here is my own letter.

Dear letter writers,

Letters dont win election, neither do propaganda, or campaign of insurgency, or crowd at rallies or comments on social media or musicians. And if you are just getting to know this, then.....

You be proper Learner

Yours truly.
GEJ till Buhari apologise to Nigerians

107 Likes 17 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Djicemob: 9:15pm On Feb 04, 2015
If you read this novel to the end,alert me for £50 cheesy grin

8 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by searay(m): 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2015
shocked
Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by otijah(m): 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2015
Ok
Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2015
You try for Your Age
Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by remsonik(f): 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2015
Wow this article is so on point. I met with the man too and he is a good one

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Collynzo419: 9:17pm On Feb 04, 2015
Vicotex:
you bad gan, hw u take knw say i no read that wall of text?

#anyway let me read it

I can always spot products of a failed educational system.

21 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by kekakuz(m): 9:18pm On Feb 04, 2015
[size=50pt]o don't give me this crap
osinbajo is nothing but a political stunt.
with the likes of tambuwa amechi tinibu underground, I welcome Nigerians to a higher level of cabalism and then ya all will know osinbajo is nothing but a prop.
you forgot so soon that last election it was tunde Bakare. today buhari does not even care if Tunde bakari exist
the average aboki sai buhari followers does not know who or what osinbanjo looks like.
[/size]

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Johnnoah1st: 9:18pm On Feb 04, 2015
@OP, ABEG WHO GET TIME TO THEY READ DIS WALE ADENUGA SUPER STORY OF YOURS? ABEG PACK DAT YOUR INHERITED KEKE NAPEP FOR ONE SIDE MAKE I SEE BETTER PEOPLE WEY GET FERRARI.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by JDelight(m): 9:19pm On Feb 04, 2015
Dear Apc,s pls be inform once again that there is no vacancy in Aso Rock till 2019. If u can't wait then go n form or build ur own Aso Rock after all Rock na Rock na J'Delight say so.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by hazyfm1: 9:20pm On Feb 04, 2015
I HAVE DECIDED
Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by iiichidodo: 9:20pm On Feb 04, 2015
Baby walakolombo....

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 04, 2015
Vote whoever you please. It's a personal assignment.
Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by asiwajumi(m): 9:20pm On Feb 04, 2015
I join dem laugh o

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by simplemach(m): 9:20pm On Feb 04, 2015
Hmmmmm, i cccc

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by hectorswag(m): 9:21pm On Feb 04, 2015
But why do these pastors allow themselves be used by these politicians for monetary gain only to come and preach heavenly reward for those who put material pursuits asides and seek first the kingdom?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by pekeyim: 9:21pm On Feb 04, 2015
Keep writing after all OBJ wrote

Dude You are so confused!!!
You claim you converter to Buddhism and Still You are a Christian?

You supported Buhari in 2011, Be my guest support Him again this time.

But Next time do not type this Long epistles!!!

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by hazyfm1: 9:21pm On Feb 04, 2015
asiwajumi:
I join dem laugh o

You look like them... are they your sisters grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by timilehing(m): 9:22pm On Feb 04, 2015
NICE ONE
Re: A Nairalander Open Letter To Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Dannyset(m): 9:22pm On Feb 04, 2015
One thing that I won't do in my life, is to insult "any" man of God. Dem never born me well sef. But that aside, if u critically look at the lives of these men, most of their children are not in dis country. The ones in dis country are so rich that they are not even affected by the economy of this country. Since they are well respected in the society, they hav direct access to the govt.
We are the people that decides. We vote under the sun. So whoever is endorsing who should do that in their sitting room. Its even very meaningless when they endorsed u and we don't. No Pastor can preach against u on the pulpit. Let them try it and see how dey lose members. #WeHaveDecided4GMB.

12 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akunyili's Daughter, Njideka Crosby Wins Joyce Alexander Artist Prize / Jude Agbaso - Imo State Deputy-Governor - Impeached For Taking Bribe / Justice Nnamdi Dimgba: "SSS’ Conduct Disgrace To Democracy”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.