Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,173 members, 7,849,622 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:17 AM

The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye (11372 Views)

Why Was The Book Of Enoch Removed From The Bible? / Video Of Pastor Caught Pants Down Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman / Pastor Enoch Adeboye Reveals 2015 Prophecies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by javalove(m): 5:30pm On Jan 01, 2009
THIS MAN IS A BLOODY LAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE IS A THIEF!!!!!!!!

WHOEVER KNOWS HIM PERSONALLY SHOULD PASS THE MESSAGE ACCROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PASTOR ADEBOYE OOO LLLLLLEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE FOOLISH MEMBERS TOO ARE QUICK TO DEFEND HIS LIES!!!!!!!!!

DROVE A CAR FOR 5HTD WITHOUT GAS ?

MADE A SHORT MAN TALLER ?

TURNED COLD TO HOT ?

ARE HIS MEMBERS DUMB OR WAT ?

KAI!!!!!! XTIANITY ITSELF IS MESSED !!!!

THE DOCTRINES ARE MESSED !!! MEANINGLESS!!!!! UNREALISTIC !!!!!
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Nobody: 4:46am On Jan 02, 2009
embarassed so of men, why are u against the men of God,
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by duduspace(m): 3:12am On Jan 03, 2009
@Huxley

Poverty and uncertainty have turned most Nigerians into dunces hence the reason for their callin a charismatic pastor their "Daddy", it is so bad even entire families(including grandparents call the man Daddy) can you imagine, our people have even forgotten who their Daddies are.
But are we Nigerians generally so scared of the future? this might be one of the reasons why tyrants such as Abacha dominated our political sphere for so long.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Nobody: 6:29am On Jan 03, 2009
duduspace:

@Huxley

Poverty and uncertainty have turned most Nigerians into dunces hence the reason for their callin a charismatic pastor their "Daddy", it is so bad even entire families(including grandparents call the man Daddy) can you imagine, our people have even forgotten who their Daddies are.
But are we Nigerians generally so scared of the future? this might be one of the reasons why tyrants such as Abacha dominated our political sphere for so long.

I beg to differ, even the affluent and comfortable ones in and out of nigeria are equally moronic when it comes to the religious figures.
They seem to think their success is not their own doing, that some invincinble man somewhere is the one pulling the strings, they are like puppets. I'm sick of it. angry I'm pretty comfortable, then my own mother is like " you think you're the one that made you successful, you better thank god before it all gets taken away from and it's too late" and I just want to  lipsrsealed, but she's my mother so I can't tell her how I feel about her god and pastor.
One of these days she going to push me hard enough, and I can't wait to tell that pastor what I think of him. angry
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by bawomolo(m): 7:33am On Jan 03, 2009
so of men, why are u against the men of God,

blind blind sheep
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 03, 2009
bawomolo:

blind blind sheep

in the end, i don't think there's much diff btw adeboye( and other naija megapastors ) and leaders of existing and past successful cults - scientology, aum shrinkoyo( think thats the name of that japanese cult) etal. sadly the fact that nigeria is basically secular in name only means that there are no government gaencies on hand to tackle/investigate these crooks.

when the news did an expose on them a few years back, the replies were the typical knee jerk reaction 'touch not my anointed, etc'.

while nigeria may lag behind the western world in som many ways, in one way we are at par with them, we have multitudes willing to be led by the nose by a charismatic , smooth talking snake oil salesman leader. if this guy ever gets homicidal like jim jones, or the dude in uganda, na so all those peeps in his church go jejely commit suicide as instructed undecided
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by duduspace(m): 2:46am On Jan 04, 2009
oyb:

in the end, i don't think there's much diff between adeboye( and other naija megapastors ) and leaders of existing and past successful cults - scientology, aum shrinkoyo( think thats the name of that japanese cult) etal. sadly the fact that nigeria is basically secular in name only means that there are no government gaencies on hand to tackle/investigate these crooks.

when the news did an expose on them a few years back, the replies were the typical knee jerk reaction 'touch not my anointed, etc'.

while nigeria may lag behind the western world in som many ways, in one way we are at par with them, we have multitudes willing to be led by the nose by a charismatic , smooth talking snake oil salesman leader. if this guy ever gets homicidal like jim jones, or the dude in uganda, na so all those peeps in his church go jejely commit suicide as instructed undecided

You have a point there, but our people are dammned good self preservationists, other people they can kill but themselves they cannot.
If he gives such an order, that is when a lot of them will remember who their daddies are. I know some idiots will follow but the great majority of our people are somehow smarter than that.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by duduspace(m): 2:55am On Jan 04, 2009
Martian:

I beg to differ, even the affluent and comfortable ones in and out of nigeria are equally moronic when it comes to the religious figures.
They seem to think their success is not their own doing, that some invincinble man somewhere is the one pulling the strings, they are like puppets. I'm sick of it. angry I'm pretty comfortable, then my own mother is like " you think you're the one that made you successful, you better thank god before it all gets taken away from and it's too late" and I just want to lipsrsealed, but she's my mother so I can't tell her how I feel about her god and pastor.
One of these days she going to push me hard enough, and I can't wait to tell that pastor what I think of him. angry

Martian, you have a point but that is why I added uncertainty into the mix, even Nigerians who are rich are not immune to the effects of poverty in their macro environment.

For example, even the rich in Nigeria are subject to the fear of insecurity such as Armed Robbery attacks and mass riots besides most of the ultra-rich have their hands in a lot of evil such as corruption and ideally should feel insecure but even they find succor in these pentecostal churches and actually bankroll a lot of the churches with tithes from their ill-gotten money.

You would recall the story of that Redeemed Pastor (also a Federal parastatal PS) who died some years back in one of those plane crashes and was discovered to have 3 wives as well as EFCC recovering some billions of naira from his acccount when the wives started squabbling over the money.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by SamMilla1(m): 10:53pm On Jun 29, 2009
the best article i have seen on nl
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Duroe: 1:51pm On Jun 30, 2009
The article is so long that i could not finish reading it.
I do not like passing comments on activities of so called 'men of God' especially if I do not have first hand info on those activities.
It is thru that corruption can be eliminated if evrybody accept Jesu Christ as Lord and saviour. But this is not possible. Even among the so called believers, many will be rejected on the judgement day by Jesus Christ because they do not do what he commanded them. ' Ye are my disciples if you do whatsoever I command you', many will say to me on that day, Lord , Lord, we did this and that in ur name, but I will say unto them I never knew you , you workers of iniquity'
LET THE JUDGEMENT OF THE MEN OF GOD BE LEFT FOR GOD. But if u have first hand info on any wrong or sin they commit do not be afraid to correct or rebuke them, yet do this in love and with respect to the God they claimed they serve.
I do not subscribe to so called 'men of God making comments on areas outside the sphere of religion especially if they do not have enough knowledge in that area. It may make them sound stupid to experts in that area.
The fact that we know God does not make us intellectual; authority in every areas of human endeavour.
Believer should also be careful in taking whatever their Pastor tells them in areas of life apart from religion as the facts (they are not omniscient), even in matters of their fait they should carry the Bible and find out the truth for themselves- except they are babies in the faith.
IT IS UNGODLY TO HERO WORSHIP ANYMAN IN THE NAME OF BEING A MAN OF GOD OR MIRACLE WORKER.
However idolatory is idolatory whether practiced by white oor Africans, in the church building, mosque or outside religious building. . We have not seen God before so no image must be use in relation to His worship. Cross existed before Jesus Christ, so Cross is not a SYMBOL OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH. Rosary has no basis in the bible, so also is veneration of saints.
Prayer is between God and man, but it could be loud enough to be heard by other people and could also be silent enough like that of Hannah- it is God that answers prayer and He answer not on how loud or quiet but justly according to a man's faith.
Unfortunately our judgement of others prayers cannot be accurate because we are not God. Let everyman be persuaded.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Tudor6(f): 2:33pm On Jun 30, 2009
If god is not doing his job by judging the so called "men of god", we might as well do it for him.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by sleek29(m): 8:14am On Jul 01, 2009
A man has affected a generation positively and you decide to write about him, well i'm not surprised , successful people always get to be talked about all the time, whether positively or otherwise, and if i may ask. What have you done to affect the life of another positively?
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Tudor6(f): 8:32am On Jul 01, 2009
The question is what has adeboye done to affect his generation other than stealing their money to enrich himself.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by sleek29(m): 9:29am On Jul 01, 2009
you know failures just by listening to them, instead of working towards making a difference in the life of others they keep criticizing those who are at least putting an effort, they remind me of those olodos in school who claim the person who came first in class is the teacher's child. Do something to affect ur generation and stop criticizing others.
''He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.''
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Tudor6(f): 10:08am On Jul 01, 2009
How have you answered my question? slowpoke,.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Flancey: 11:06pm On Jul 01, 2009
Huxely is hurting.
Pele. The Man GO Adeboye is riding on the wings of eagles and there you are
feasting in the dustbin of ignorance. Leave the man alone and get a life. Period jare.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Flancey: 11:08pm On Jul 01, 2009
Huxely is hurting.
Pele. The Man GO Adeboye is riding on the wings of eagles and there you are
feasting in the dustbin of ignorance. Leave the man alone and get a life. Period jare.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Tudor6(f): 6:02am On Jul 02, 2009
Point of correction. . .The man daddy g.o is not riding on eagles wings, HE'S FLYING IN A JET BOUGHT WITH STOLEN MONEY!
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Flancey: 11:14pm On Jul 02, 2009
@ tudor tongue
Na lie. stolen? pls say something else. By d way how old are you?
Go to the kids section and learn how to respect elders.
Your mind is too young to be here.
Do as i say o.
tongue grin embarassed
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Tudor6(f): 11:22pm On Jul 02, 2009
Respect yourself and stop calling people kids.
I don't respect thieves whether 12 or 80years old.
Infact it's only a kid and a stupid one at that, that'll believe a man drove 300 miles without fuel. . . .
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by wisedge: 12:55am On Jul 03, 2009
Respect yourself and stop calling people kids.
I don't respect thieves whether 12 or 80years old.
Infact it's only a kid and a stupid one at that, that'll believe a man drove 300 miles without fuel. . . .

@Tudor, you have proved several times to be rude, ignorant and arrogant. I don't you why you think you are enlightened enough to make statements you cannot prove. Please, you are free to have your view and make your point but you don't have to be abusive in the process. Everytime, I read your posts, I see an angry, disillusioned and disturbed mind. Did your father abuse you as a child?

Please, try and respect yourself and others. Make your point but desists from being offensive and insulting.

NB: Pls dont abuse me as a result of this post. Thank you.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Tudor6(f): 8:15am On Jul 03, 2009
Show me where i've used insults?
Your jesus delusion is so severe that you project your own emotional state of mind into my posts. You become disillusioned and disturbed when i tackle issues you're uncomfortable with, you are so scared that you've been a fool all your life believing this jesus mumbo jumbo.
I have good advice for you; don't be scared to take the great leap from stupidity, ignorance and delusions of your bible god into the truth. It isn't so hard,even if your father molested you as a child (my condolences). . . . .
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:47pm On Jul 03, 2009
I am surprised you guys even bother, same reaction when i hear Nigerians open their mouths when they hear about how much money some crooked public official loots from this office. why do we get so phuckin surprised or even talk about it.

It is bound to happen when spiritual anointing mutates into egotistical posturing. Solomon did it , Saul did it and a host of many other anointed leaders of God's Children. it is not new what Mr Enoch does, he is just so darn successful at it that it befuddles our senses.

Clueless citizenry that are too lazy to take their destinies into their own hands fall back to religion rather than asking for God's help. We have become Pastor praising, Men-Of-God Worshiping and Miracle-salivating Dogs who follow any master who can promise the most miracles while showing off.

40 fu$%king million Christians and we are so blind to the FACT that GOD has left the building
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by KunleOshob(m): 10:20am On Jul 04, 2009
lagerwhenindoubt:

40 fu$%king million Christians and we are so blind to the FACT that GOD has left the building
If christians realize that God has left the building, how pastor go chop? or better still how would the pivate jet be funded and maintained.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 20, 2009
Duroe:

LET THE JUDGEMENT OF THE MEN OF GOD BE LEFT FOR GOD.

Christians should stop deceiving themselves with this foolish sayings
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by PastorAIO: 10:18am On Sep 07, 2009
i will take this as a lame attempt at a joke. besides most prostitues do not claim to be gods of men men of god.

It is a joke and a funny joke too. It's not my fault if you lack a sense of humour. cool
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by banom(m): 1:09pm On Sep 08, 2009
BY THEIR PRIVATE JETS, WE SHALL KNOW , ,,,,?
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Drlumi: 6:10pm On Dec 07, 2011
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Thok(m): 9:19pm On Aug 18, 2012
@OP and fellow supporters, Una don chop belleful
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by Nobody: 6:39am On Aug 19, 2012
simmy: My overridinng purpose of answering this post is to draw attention to some weaknesses in your responses to the weaknesses in the responses of Pastor Adeboye to the issues raised by,  (yer u catch the drift)

My overriding purpose in this essay is to draw attention to some weaknesses in the responses of Pastor Adeboye to the issues raised by Mr. Eyoboka. At the outset, I completely agree with Adeboye on the ultimate futility of amassing wealth one does not really need by stealing from the public.

In my view, it shows that those who do this are intellectually, morally and spiritually very immature. But Adeboye is wrong when he says that “the only way we could eradicate corruption is to bring everybody to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, so that the fear of God will dwell in them…”
[b]
[/b]

What do u expect him to say? He is a preacher of a religion that believes that all problems can only be solved when evryone on earth worships and obeys God.

For the “bible believing” churches, the most important thing in the life of a Christian is not spiritual enlightenment and growth, but willingness to pay tithe and give donations - the bigger the better - to the church. In fact, since clergymen and clergywomen started amassing wealth, the level of corruption, even in the various churches, escalated to the extent that the churches themselves are now run like family ventures.[b][/b]

Now, the writer is just being silly

[i]Another fallacy committed by Pastor Adeboye is his argument that the increasing number of Nigerians who embrace Christianity, and the exploits of Nigerian pastors overseas, imply that the rest of the world see Africa as the hope of the world. He even unwittingly created the impression that idol worship, witchcraft and human sacrifice existed in Africa alone until the West brought the light of the gospel to us.[/i][b][/b]

From a Christian point of view, it is generally accepted that Africa is a beam of hope in a degerating and darkeningworld

[i]One should not be surprised if Adeboye is exultant about his claim that churches brought to Britain by Nigerians are packed full every Sunday, whereas the older more traditional and orthodox churches are “slowing down”. Adeboye is happy that the churches headed by Africans are bubbling with life every Sunday.

As a leader of one of the popular churches in Nigeria, it is definitely in his interest that Pentecostalism is expanding, because the more RCCG members there are, the larger the tithes, offerings, gifts etc. that would accrue to the church.[/i][b]
[/b]
The writer is being silly again

A visit to any of the Holy Ghost congresses organized by Adeboye’s church, and a quick mental calculation of the amount that would be realized from the “multitude”, would give one a fair idea of how smart and ingenious Nigerian pastors are as businessmen and businesswomen.
[b]
[/b]

Yawnyawn

I am surprised that a man who has a background in science would suggest that Africa is becoming “the lighting continent” for other parts of the world, that when you look at the other side of the world, “we are doing better”, simply because Africans are exporting Christianity back to the West.

This is sad. It suggests that our religious leaders, unlike their colleagues in Europe and America, are yet to wake up from their dogmatic slumbers. In recent years, all the parameters used to evaluate different aspects of human development point to the disturbing conclusion that Africa is stagnating.

With the arguable exception of South Africa, there is no genuinely technologically advanced or industrialized country in Africa. Africa’s contribution to the world economy is below ten percent.

Most African countries receive one form of assistance or another from countries outside Africa. The continent is currently ravaged by poverty, disease and internecine conflicts and wars.
[b]

I can assure u he was speaking from a spiritual/moral point of view. Looking at things from that angle, Africa is miles ahead of most of the rest of the world

Are Adeboye and his colleagues unperturbed by the deepening economic problems of Nigeria, by the fact that explosion in the number of Pentecostal Christians is directly proportional to the economic hardships facing Nigerians?[/b]
a spiritual leaders primary concern is of the spirit, not of the flesh

Why is it a good thing that instead of exporting manufactured products and technological know-how to the West we are exporting religion, foreign religion at that, to Europe? Indeed, if Africa is doing better in any meaningful sense, why is the continent experiencing brain drain continuously?[b][/b]

?Yawnyawn

What Pastor Adeboye and those who reason like him on this matter fail to realize is that the West had tried religion during the Dark and Middle Ages, and discovered that it led to a dead end. Hence, since the scientific revolution of the 17th century, and the industrial revolution of the 18th, the West has directed its productive forces to the acquisition of scientific knowledge and its technological and industrial applications[/b]

False. there havebeen a lot of spriritual revivals in the West in more recent times. in fact, the industrial revolution coincided with a spiritual revival. but thats besides the point, if there s one.

The long term consequence of this paradigm-shift is that Western countries now enjoy some of the highest standards of living known in human history. Pastor Adeoye is wrong in claiming that we are doing better than the West, simply because of the wave of new Pentecostalism sweeping across Africa
[b]

there was no shift from religion to science, they re both paralel interests of man. and fsailure in one should not and cannot bne attributed to the other

Adeboye and other rich pastors can afford to downplay the negative consequences of exporting Christianity rather than manufactured products and hi-tech services to the West. After all, they and their families have escaped from the gravitational pull of poverty.[/b]

Here, the writer is just being silly

Even, the immoral activities in Western countries which Adeboye referred to in the interview, and worse, exist here in Africa as well. The recent documentary on Africa’s witch children is a case in point. Adeboye makes the usual ecclesiastical mistake of denigrating aspects of our traditional culture uncritically.[b]

All cultures have their excesses. however, it is generally thought that Africans are more spiritually minded, which is what i guess Adeboye would ve been referring to

FOR example, he talked about idol worship, human sacrifice and witchcraft. But these  practices are not peculiar to African villages; in fact they are still practiced all over the world, although human sacrifice is outlawed in all countries.

When Adeboye says that Africans worship idols, it appears that he does not understand the fundamentals of African ontology and religious worship, and the role the effigies and figurines play in the religious consciousness of the traditionalist.

For the African, the supreme being, what the Igbo call Chi-Ukwu, is too big, too powerful and remote to be worshipped directly.

Therefore, the physical embodiments of lower deities are used as means to channel the prayers and psychic energy generated during religious worship to the Supreme Being. The African does not worship the effigies and figurines per se.

Rather, just like the Christian uses rosaries and the crucifixes, the traditionalist employs the physical objects of his religion to help him concentrate and focus his attention on the major task at hand, namely, the propitiation of the God of his people, usually accompanied by requests.

The first Europeans to visit autochthonous African communities were ignorant of African religion. As usual, what they did not understand they denigrated.

The same colonial mentality makes Africans to denounce traditional African religions without genuine attempt to grasp the philosophical underpinnings of those religions. Logically speaking, the rosaries, crucifixes and other physical aids to Christian worship have the same ontological status as the so-called idols of traditional African religion.

Therefore, when Adeboye says that “things are different now”, he simply means that one set of physical aids to religious worship developed by Africans has been supplanted by the one he prefers, that is the set imposed on Africans by European missionaries and colonialists.
[b][/b]

don't be silly dear writer. to a Christian, any other religion is false. any image worship, no matter how ingeniusly explained is idol worship. simple and straight forward. Xtianity talking negatively about African religion is not du to the fact that these religions weren't understood (even tho ure right, the whites didnt fully understand these religions) it was due to the fact that Xtinas believe their is only ONE god,  the Christian God. And by the way, Pentecostal xtinas criticise the catholic mode of worship.

Pastor Adeboye actually missed the point when he dismissed off-handedly the question of the true birthday of Jesus of Nazareth. For him what is important is the belief that Jesus came as a saviour; the date of his birth is immaterial.

One of the most controversial topics in biblical scholarship is the identification of when Jesus was born. This question has direct relevance to the lingering doubt about whether the individual presented in the gospels as Jesus actually existed or whether the character in question is the product of accretion of legends and myths around an obscure deviant Jew.
[b][/b]

Actually the writer is the one missing the point.
1. Xtians don't have a doubt in their minds about Jesus's existence. And if u do ur research carefully, u ll discover most scholars agree that Jesus most likely existed. People who still doubt his actual existence are living in denial.
2. If the above statememt holds, then his real birthdate is indeed irrelevant.

Adeboye’s response is typical among believers who are satisfied with dogmatic uncritical acceptance of religious doctrines.

Such people are not interested in the truth or falsity of what they believe. Adeboye’s anti-intellectualistic attitude to religion is expressed by his assertion that discussion of, and arguing about, religious doctrines is an academic exercise, which will merely make us “feel that at least we have exercised our brains.”

This cavalier attitude to the veridicality of religious doctrines, coming from a former academic with a doctorate in mathematics, is rather disappointing. Truth is usually the first casualty when probing questions tend to unsettle convenient religious dogma.

I am convinced that truth, in terms of the correspondence of our ideas, theories and doctrines to reality ought to be the basic regulative principle of human transactions. It may be convenient for a believer like Adeboye to concentrate his energies on “making heaven”.

But for millions of people all over the world, the question of the historicity of Jesus is of critical importance, and rightly so, in defining their attitude to Christianity. 

The writings of scholars such as Albert Schweitzer, Arnold Toynbee, Alfred Reynolds, Barbara, Thierring, David Tabor and many others demonstrate that the question concerning the actual existence of Jesus of the gospels is far from settled.

Ascertaining the truth about Jesus is fundamental to establishing the authenticity of Christianity as a reliable path to spiritual development.

This implies that an honest Christian must be interested in questions relating to the life and times of Jesus of Nazareth, unless he or she is subconsciously aware that unearthing the truth would shake his or her belief to its very foundations.

Adeboye’s analogy with his own birthday is misplaced, because there is no doubt or controversy about his actual existence, or supernatural powers  and  occurrences associated with his life  whereas, as I stated earlier, there are reasons to doubt whether an individual described in the gospels as Jesus of Nazareth existed.

Also December 25, which is officially accepted by a vast majority of Christian denominations as the birthday of Jesus, is known to have originated from the ancient festival commemorating the birth of the sun-god. Some Christian sects, for example the Jehovah’s Witnesses, believe that Jesus was born in October, not December.

Thus, it does not help Christianity if church leaders dismiss cavalierly questions relating to certain key historical episodes of their religion, as Adeboye

On the controversial issue of whether the practice of monogamy was divinely founded and decreed, Pastor Adeboye manifested the usual Christianity-induced narrowness of vision characteristic of most Christian clergy in Nigeria. He referred those interested in the matter to the book of Genesis which narrated how Yaweh created only Eve for Adam!
[b][/b]

enough already. No serious scholar still debates the existence of Jesus. Its a dead topic.

On the controversial issue of whether the practice of monogamy was divinely founded and decreed, Pastor Adeboye manifested the usual Christianity-induced narrowness of vision characteristic of most Christian clergy in Nigeria. He referred those interested in the matter to the book of Genesis which narrated how Yaweh created only Eve for Adam!

It is really amazing the level of ignorance which our pastors display on matters one can easily investigate to ascertain the real facts.

The literature on marriage is huge. I suggest that Adeboye and other die-hard monogamists should read Friedrick Engel’s The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State, Bertrand Russell’s Marriage and Morals, Havelock Ellis’ Studies in the Psychology of Sex, Albert Ellis’ Sex Without Guilt, Clorinda and Joseph Margolis “Alternative Lifestyles and Sexual Tolerance”. Throughout history, human beings have tried all sorts of combinations in marriage, as determined by socio-cultural, economic, political and psychological factors.

Therefore, any suggestion that the institution of marriage, or that a particular form of marriage relationship is decreed or favoured by a certain deity, betrays a disappointing and unacceptable devaluation of man’s capacity to create relationships suitable to his needs.

Is the marriage institution so sophisticated, beyond the inventive capacity of human beings, that a divine origin has to be postulated in order to explain it?

Of course, it is not. Marriage is well within the productive powers of humans to forge relationships among themselves. Polygamy, monogamy, polyandry, communal marriages, etc. are some of the possible modes of marital relationship, which have prevailed in human societies at various times.

I am completely convinced that marriage is better understood and practiced when looked at as a purely human invention meant to satisfy some basic human needs.

If, as Pastor Adeboye argued, monogamy is divinely ordained, how can one account for the incredible variety of marriage types which had been practiced in various cultures of the world? Why should God prefer monogamy to all the rest?

The truth is that monogamy is the cultural product of a strand in the intersection of Hellenic and Jewish cultures, supported by St. Paul and the Church Fathers who were motivated by the desire to maintain mathematical equivalence of gender in marriage.

I am persuaded that no one acquainted with the history of marriage throughout the ages, and its intimate connections with socio-cultural, economic, environmental and psychological factors, would postulate a divine origin for marriage or insist that monogamy was decreed by God. On this issue, therefore, Pastor Adeboye committed the fallacy of non causa pro causa.
[/b]

Err, He said it was divinely ordained i.e God wants us all to be monogamous. He didnt say yo HAd to be monogamous. Theres a difference. You can marry as many women as u like. Who cares?

To the question of whether the churches should pay tax, Pastor Adeboye, naturally, believes that they should not. But the reasons he gave are superficial, unconvincing and unsatisfactory.

He argues that the income of the churches come from the members who, he believes, had already paid taxes.

Thus, to tax the church “is to double tax the members, and that will be illegal”. For Adeboye, then, taxing the churches means an unjust double taxation of the members!
[b]

How is that unconvinvoing and unsatisfactory? And by the way, thereason y churches don't pay taxes is bc they are NONPROFIT organisations ok? at least theyre supposed to be.

Conclusion: Go get a life! you hide ur inanity with big words

If you want to criticize the OP, Please make valid and logical points to defend Adeboye and not yawn yawns and saying the writer is being silly. You are not making sense.
Re: The Fallacies Of Pastor Enoch Adeboye by proflangdon(m): 7:13am On Dec 12, 2012
Human beings can be so stupid sometimes. God has the answer to everything.
But a mere human talks against His vessel!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why It's Hard For A Richman Or Even the Poor To Enter The Kingdom Of God / Should Child Dedication Be Abolished Since It Is Found In The Law Of Moses? / White People Are Worshiping EBOLA Virus And It Looks Like They Are Doing Magic!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.