Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,315 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV (39641 Views)

"The First 5 Things Recruiters Check In Your Application" - Vineck.com / 3 Things Recruiters Hate To See On Your CV / Checkout 20 Things Recruiters Do Not Want To See On Your CV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Zaikon(m): 10:00pm On Feb 05, 2015
patrickdarlins:

aiit....thanks for the enlightenment...

matured response u put up there.
I like that bro. This is a matured atmosphere
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by soulhighman(m): 10:01pm On Feb 05, 2015
berildan:

True, I presume the CV you downloaded was North-American. It's a very important part of resumes for most applications in the US, and Nigerian recruiters (especially the MNCs with European or US roots) are now preferring to see GPAs. In fact, it is better to put a low GPA cos an absence of one might imply that yours is way lower, hence you're hiding it.
Yeah you are right, it was a north American style.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by berildan(m): 10:02pm On Feb 05, 2015
soulhighman:

And after passing the test, d next tin is d interview ryt? And the C.V will also be checked again by the interviewers. Lobatan. It could help jare.

Well said, at least someone is being rational here. smiley
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Nobody: 10:20pm On Feb 05, 2015
Zaikon:
I like that bro. This is a matured atmosphere
yeah...thanks...
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Guys I was trolling, I made no third class in school grin
it doesnt matter somebdy that made would av learnt something. ...we are all actors here to teach some sense

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Nobody: 12:28am On Feb 06, 2015
FriedPlantain:
The Op is not wrong, there is nothing wrong in including your CGPA in your CV if you are a fresh graduate with little or no experience but with good grades in school, say at least by 4.00 and above. As you begin to acquire necessary professional experience and other notable achievements and skills, you can then remove the cgpa from the Cv.

I would have loved to include my CGPA on my own Cv had it been I was a bright student back then in school. Unfortunately I struggled like crazy before I was able to make this nonsense third class my village people cursed me with right now. angry

FriedPlantain
ar u telling me that pple with high grades ar all already fixed. d result of the aptitude test goes along way in been chosing for the next stage. am not saying the pursuit of good grades is bad infact I av d best I culd av in school with no regret. but in naija of today forget d gp and struggle like u grad with a pass.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by giftedlady: 9:13am On Feb 06, 2015
FriedPlantain:
The Op is not wrong, there is nothing wrong in including your CGPA in your CV if you are a fresh graduate with little or no experience but with good grades in school, say at least by 4.00 and above. As you begin to acquire necessary professional experience and other notable achievements and skills, you can then remove the cgpa from the Cv.

I would have loved to include my CGPA on my own Cv had it been I was a bright student back then in school. Unfortunately I struggled like crazy before I was able to make this nonsense third class my village people cursed me with right now. angry

FriedPlantain
grin laughing seriously
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by DonDiego(m): 9:17am On Feb 06, 2015
patrickdarlins:
that gpa alone u wrote up there is trash!!!

u will loose a potential employee that is capable of turning your company around for good cos of one silly cgpa??

Very well said bro.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by ELGREF(m): 9:19am On Feb 06, 2015
patrickdarlins:

u will loose a potential employee that is capable of turning your company around for good cos of one silly cgpa??

its not what the company has to offer you these days....is what u ve got to offer the company based on experience and smartness....

not one big mumu that graduated with 4.45 cgpa....and still has no competence in his blood!!

NOTE:i aint upset with grades.....i will even love u more if u are smart....experienced....sharp...and still has that charming cgpa of 4.45.....

all what companies wants these days are peeps that are willing and able..to fit in!!!!.....
on point ma,
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by JideTheBlogger(m): 9:21am On Feb 06, 2015
Nice share
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by ELGREF(m): 9:21am On Feb 06, 2015
ELGREF:
on point man.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by delugadou(m): 9:25am On Feb 06, 2015
FriedPlantain:

FriedPlantain

No wonder u went into plantain bizness with speed. You're an enigma
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Janedoe26(f): 9:30am On Feb 06, 2015
P

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by lonelydora: 9:33am On Feb 06, 2015
Where is the work sef? In this GEJ administration? I will listen to you guys when GMB resumes.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by vislabraye(m): 9:40am On Feb 06, 2015
patrickdarlins:

its not what the company has to offer you these days....is what u ve got to offer the company based on experience and smartness....

not one big mumu that graduated with 4.45 cgpa....and still has no competence in his blood!!

NOTE:i aint upset with grades.....i will even love u more if u are smart....experienced....sharp...and still has that charming cgpa of 4.45.....

all what companies wants these days are peeps that are willing and able..to fit in!!!!.....

U have a point here. But on the other hand, multi Nationals and other companies are grade conscious.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Haryorqunley(m): 9:43am On Feb 06, 2015
Thanks for d info
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by bosunjohns(m): 9:45am On Feb 06, 2015
berildan:
As originally culled from https://club340./

Ever wondered why that cozy, well-formatted, one-page résumé of yours hasn’t been landing any test invitations or interviews? It’s probably because recruiters of top MNCs have become bored of seeing the very same monochrome documents in every pile of résumés they process. Moreover, the year is 2015 and trends have changed for everything, from Toyota Models to one-page CVs (yeah, seriously!). So here are five suggestions to make your résumé stand-out from the pile.

1. LinkedIn Handle: Over the years LinkedIn has become a very integral platform for recruitment firms. Almost every Human Resources person or recruiting agent wants to know the “LinkedIn side” of you, so you’d better save them the stress of having to open a new tab on Mozilla by linking your résumé to your LinkedIn page. Moreover, since typical résumé length is 1-page, you could use your LinkedIn page to your advantage by putting all other information not listed on your resume. However, recruiters are only prompted to go there if you lure them with your linked handle (okay, enough with the links).

2. Highlights in pictures: As I said before, monochrome is boring. Recruiters can easily miss that awesome internship you did at Unilever or that wonderful scholarship award from Total E&P when you present these details in black and white.It is always advisable to provide graphical highlights of your major achievements. For instance, If I were a recruiter, I’d be more easily drawn to the short summary under the Microsoft Logo on your résumé, than one long statement about the firm, lost in-between the lines in black and white. (Especially when I only have an average of 30 seconds per resume).

3. GPA: These days, it is very common to find people listing their educational achievements without indicating their graduating class or GPA. Well, that might still land you opportunities with some boutique firms around your neighborhood. However, if you’re looking to play in the big leagues, you’d better start saying something about your grades early on in your résumé. This is the major factor most recruiters use in the first part of the screening process for most entry level positions (and even experienced hires), so by not indicating your graduating class, it’s an automatic throw in the “NO” pile. In fact, these days most recruiters want to see your very GPA and not just the class alone (because a 3.7/5 and a 4.48/5 are two different players in the same sport). Of course the only exception to this rule would be those that have obtained a degree class which is way below the requirement. For such people, presenting the degree anonymously can only do good to your application (especially if you have strong internships and notable extracurriculars which could convince the recruiter to offer you an interview).

4. IT Skills: For fellows in Arts and Humanities, recruiters are increasingly demanding just about the same IT skills from you as they require from your engineering and science-oriented counterparts. So spend the next summer break or your NYSC year learning advanced use of Excel (Excel is the most popular of the Microsoft Office suite programs used in most firms) , at least one programming language and proficient use of Windows 8, 8.1.

5. Unique Extracurriculars (ECs): In the 21st Century, almost every job-seeker loves to read, travel and swim as part of their past-times. Unfortunately, recruiters have become too used to these series of hobbies and are unimpressed by them. However, the candidate that says he loves rock-climbing and states that he climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro last fall would still get some attention. He’d certainly be invited for interviews so long as he has met other criteria moderately (Which recruiter wouldn’t want to find out what the experience was like?). So it’d be better to highlight only extracurriculars that are unique to you. Of course as part of your ECs, it is also commendable to provide details of leadership experience during your undergraduate studies as this is just about the only way recruiters get know if you have leadership potential.

There you have it! Five suggestions that could change your résumé for good. Keep watching this page for more posts!
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by monex(m): 10:02am On Feb 06, 2015
berildan:
As originally culled from https://club340./

Ever wondered why that cozy, well-formatted, one-page résumé of yours hasn’t been landing any test invitations or interviews? It’s probably because recruiters of top MNCs have become bored of seeing the very same monochrome documents in every pile of résumés they process. Moreover, the year is 2015 and trends have changed for everything, from Toyota Models to one-page CVs (yeah, seriously!). So here are five suggestions to make your résumé stand-out from the pile.

1. LinkedIn Handle: Over the years LinkedIn has become a very integral platform for recruitment firms. Almost every Human Resources person or recruiting agent wants to know the “LinkedIn side” of you, so you’d better save them the stress of having to open a new tab on Mozilla by linking your résumé to your LinkedIn page. Moreover, since typical résumé length is 1-page, you could use your LinkedIn page to your advantage by putting all other information not listed on your resume. However, recruiters are only prompted to go there if you lure them with your linked handle (okay, enough with the links).

2. Highlights in pictures: As I said before, monochrome is boring. Recruiters can easily miss that awesome internship you did at Unilever or that wonderful scholarship award from Total E&P when you present these details in black and white.It is always advisable to provide graphical highlights of your major achievements. For instance, If I were a recruiter, I’d be more easily drawn to the short summary under the Microsoft Logo on your résumé, than one long statement about the firm, lost in-between the lines in black and white. (Especially when I only have an average of 30 seconds per resume).

3. GPA: These days, it is very common to find people listing their educational achievements without indicating their graduating class or GPA. Well, that might still land you opportunities with some boutique firms around your neighborhood. However, if you’re looking to play in the big leagues, you’d better start saying something about your grades early on in your résumé. This is the major factor most recruiters use in the first part of the screening process for most entry level positions (and even experienced hires), so by not indicating your graduating class, it’s an automatic throw in the “NO” pile. In fact, these days most recruiters want to see your very GPA and not just the class alone (because a 3.7/5 and a 4.48/5 are two different players in the same sport). Of course the only exception to this rule would be those that have obtained a degree class which is way below the requirement. For such people, presenting the degree anonymously can only do good to your application (especially if you have strong internships and notable extracurriculars which could convince the recruiter to offer you an interview).

4. IT Skills: For fellows in Arts and Humanities, recruiters are increasingly demanding just about the same IT skills from you as they require from your engineering and science-oriented counterparts. So spend the next summer break or your NYSC year learning advanced use of Excel (Excel is the most popular of the Microsoft Office suite programs used in most firms) , at least one programming language and proficient use of Windows 8, 8.1.

5. Unique Extracurriculars (ECs): In the 21st Century, almost every job-seeker loves to read, travel and swim as part of their past-times. Unfortunately, recruiters have become too used to these series of hobbies and are unimpressed by them. However, the candidate that says he loves rock-climbing and states that he climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro last fall would still get some attention. He’d certainly be invited for interviews so long as he has met other criteria moderately (Which recruiter wouldn’t want to find out what the experience was like?). So it’d be better to highlight only extracurriculars that are unique to you. Of course as part of your ECs, it is also commendable to provide details of leadership experience during your undergraduate studies as this is just about the only way recruiters get know if you have leadership potential.

There you have it! Five suggestions that could change your résumé for good. Keep watching this page for more posts!

he got it right even with GPA
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by talktofemi: 10:28am On Feb 06, 2015
I think it is best to tailor your CV to where you are applying to.

Imagine applying to a federal parastatal and you put all those fancy stuffs on your CV. Or you give them one of those highyella CV where you are silent on your marital status, age, sex etc. Sorry you re on a long thing.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by geekybabe(f): 10:34am On Feb 06, 2015
I arrange my resume/cv according to my strenghts. I dont follow any formats. I never put my Cgpa on my CV and I have been invited for a lot of interviews. If my GPA is not my strong point, why would i put it in the CV? I would be shooting myself in the leg if i did that.

These days, a lot of people have the so called high CGPA, and will not even perform well in interviews. Or maybe they dont even have the required skills for the role being advertised. I Know myself, and what I am capable of doing, and what my skills are. I have a couple of certifications, those are the things i place first in my CV. I always ace most of my interviews. Right now I am being faced with choices of which job to go for.

If you are even in the IT field like myself, recruiters will never ask you your CGPA. Its always about your skills. What you can do. What problems you can solve.

My Conclusion: IF your CGPA is not your strong point, you would only be shooting yourself in the leg if you put it in the CV. (Except it is specifically stated that you put it).

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by adedayourt(m): 10:41am On Feb 06, 2015
romzyxy:
C.v and it changing requirements all for d sake of a job. GOD Help job seekers.

Amen
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by piagetskinner(m): 11:19am On Feb 06, 2015
So I have to climb mt kilomanjaro, or swim in the pacific before some crazy arse employer gets impressed by my resumegrin...who go get work go Get!

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by chilecharis(f): 11:26am On Feb 06, 2015
Ok,we will continue to update,but i know that when God remembers u,ur cv will not stop it.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Eillo(m): 11:28am On Feb 06, 2015
Ukeachu1:

the cgpa might count for notin. any reputable firm issues a highly competitive aptitude test for graduate employment. ur score in d test is definitely ur cgpa to them. who cares what ur trashy school gives u. so just pass the test first. make I no read about this issue again for here o. everyone is now a c.v expert.

Why are you trying to trivialise the cgpa. It should count for something as a fresh graduate. as for companies conducting aptitude tests, do you think it's all who apply that get invitation for the test. anything that gives you an edge would be a nice addition to the cv.

u guys should stop discouraging undergrads with Al this false information. A reasonable recruiter should at least pay a little attention to someone with a good grade and give him d opportunity to prove his worth.

of cos people with lower grades do make it, once they prove their worth. but a good cgpa (earned the right way) is a step towards proving your worth too. but the way u guys are going about the issue, one would almost think a good cgpa is a shameful thing.

to the undergrads, don't settle for less just because "4.9 is the same thing as 3.5" In your academics (and every other area of your life), be the best you can be. but remember that the cgpa on its own is never enough.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Eillo(m): 11:34am On Feb 06, 2015
geekybabe:
I arrange my resume/cv according to my strenghts. I dont follow any formats. I never put my Cgpa on my CV and I have been invited for a lot of interviews. If my GPA is not my strong point, why would i put it in the CV? I would be shooting myself in the leg if i did that.

These days, a lot of people have the so called high CGPA, and will not even perform well in interviews. Or maybe they dont even have the required skills for the role being advertised. I Know myself, and what I am capable of doing, and what my skills are. I have a couple of certifications, those are the things i place first in my CV. I always ace most of my interviews. Right now I am being faced with choices of which job to go for.

If you are even in the IT field like myself, recruiters will never ask you your CGPA. Its always about your skills. What you can do. What problems you can solve.

My Conclusion: IF your CGPA is not your strong point, you would only be shooting yourself in the leg if you put it in the CV. (Except it is specifically stated that you put it).

in fact u have said it all. there is no perfect format for cv. just showcase your strong points and anything that can give you an edge. it could be something as simple as speaking a couple foreign languages, or having dual citizenship. yes, there are jobs for which such things matter. it all depends on the job.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Nobody: 11:58am On Feb 06, 2015
If I were to be an employer, indicating your graduating GPA wouldn't have me thinking you're the man for the job.

Most students who graduated with high GPA especially in Nigeria actually bought their way through it hence using such criterion to filter job seekers would be unwittingly giving the job to the wrong person.

If you possess the required basic skills for a particular job and can ace your interview then you're good to go. Your GPA counts as nothing here.

Personally nothing beats having a successful internship. It enhances your chances of getting a job much faster than anyother feature.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by berildan(m): 12:36pm On Feb 06, 2015
geekybabe:

True talk. This is in consonance with what I said earlier. However, I'm certain you'd put your GPA if it were stellar.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by braine(m): 12:39pm On Feb 06, 2015
afolag:

forget village pple, poor academuc performance ar a result of many things, for all the pple I met on from the western world whenever we discuss education they never go to grades, in my line of duty I met so many of them, u are a graduate thats fine, what was ur discipline thats all. sit down and critically look for a way to turn things around, I dnt knw wat u study but seriously all u need is a few sacrifice by making sure you dnt waste time...whatever you do from now till the end of this year let it be something you could showcase as experience on your CV.
This is true.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by berildan(m): 12:40pm On Feb 06, 2015
piagetskinner:
So I have to climb mt kilomanjaro, or swim in the pacific before some crazy arse employer gets impressed by my resumegrin...who go get work go Get!
Funny you! I'm sure you know that wasnt what was implied. But it probably wouldnt hurt to try. smiley
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by berildan(m): 12:50pm On Feb 06, 2015
AirborneLacer:
If I were to be an employer, indicating your graduating GPA wouldn't have me thinking you're the man for the job.

Most students who graduated with high GPA especially in Nigeria actually bought their way through it hence using such criterion to filter job seekers would be unwittingly giving the job to the wrong person.

If you possess the required basic skills for a particular job and can ace your interview then you're good to go. Your GPA counts as nothing here.

Personally nothing beats having a successful internship. It enhances your chances of getting a job much faster than anyother feature.
Nobody said a good GPA would instantly convince an employer that a candidate is a perfect fit. The point being made is that it could come handy as a helpful filter when it becomes the basis for elimination between equally qualified candidates. Say for instance when only one of them is needed. I also know of top MNCs that like to boast of hiring the best graduating students from some schools especially the top Nigerian universities (OAU and P&G for instance). What do you think such students have differently ? Stellar GPAs (and no, they are rarely the most experienced or skilled students in their graduating set.) The point is, if you have it and it is good putting it there wouldnt hurt.
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Eillo(m): 1:17pm On Feb 06, 2015
AirborneLacer:

How can you say most people who have high cgpa bought their way through?
Re: 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 06, 2015
what works for me doesnt neccessarily needs to work for anyone out there
So far so good,getting jobs now requires alot of prayers and networking,d vacancy of most adverts we see has already been occupied/has a preferred candidate,infact many Cv end up in d black hole

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Need Info On Salary Of A Non Academic Staff In A Federal University / I Was Tricked, Now I Can't Sleep. / Medpro Global Resources Is Fake Recruiting Firm Beware !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.