Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,626 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? (1511 Views)

Why The Natural Hair Movement Is Progress For African-american Women / Bernie Sanders And Black American Votes / American Women Sentenced To Die At 16 To Be Released (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by Nobody: 2:53am On Dec 31, 2008
Study Says Black Women Are Growing Up to Be Shorter, But Can't Explain Why

An economist in Germany has noticed a curious trend among Americans: For the past 50 years, black women have been shrinking with each new generation.

Black women today are nearly an inch shorter than white women their age and about half an inch shorter than black women born in the late 1960s, according to an analysis of CDC data.
Young black women today are nearly an inch shorter than white women their age and about half an inch shorter than black women born in the late 60s, according to an analysis of CDC data by John Komlos, a professor of economics at the University of Munich in Germany.

Heights by gender, class and race in Komlos' study rise and drop in waves over the years, but on the whole, every other group besides black women has remained the same height or gotten taller than their parents since the 60s.

now you understand the craze for high-heeled shoes.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by girl22(f): 4:07am On Dec 31, 2008
must be poor diet. i heard lack of nutrition stunts your growth. and white women i know are way more health concious.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 4:37am On Dec 31, 2008
I wonder how someone from germany knows all this about people in America. Maybe his study refers to black women in Germany?

I havent noticed any of this personally, because most of the black US women I've observed have all seemed to be on the tall side. In fact, the exact opposite of what this fellow is saying.

Even some of my nieces and other female relatives are mostly tall.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by bawomolo(m): 4:49am On Dec 31, 2008
your personal observations aren't enough to refute data from the CDC
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by H2O2: 4:52am On Dec 31, 2008
lol
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by Nobody: 5:02am On Dec 31, 2008
Really, so you telling me I could have been 5'7 instead of lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed hmm

B.T.W, you're not totally right on the high heels observation. It's mainly worn because it defines the length of the legs, makes wearer's leg looks longer and sexier. . .
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by WesleyanA(f): 5:05am On Dec 31, 2008
I thought it was the opposite. black women I see are taller on average.  shocked

but then again, i see some sense in the german economist's pov.
black girls tend to have precocious puberty. they start puberty too early and stop growing at an earlier age than most.
maybe this doesn't let them maximize their height potential.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by acidrop(f): 5:07am On Dec 31, 2008
wait wait, what is this colour study. . . . . .the shortest race is arab
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 5:36am On Dec 31, 2008
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 6:07am On Dec 31, 2008
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by SeanT21(f): 6:48am On Dec 31, 2008
***Roll eyes***
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by girl22(f): 7:03pm On Jan 01, 2009
oh and f the cdc. they are know to report anything. and conduct medical expiraments.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 8:09pm On Jan 01, 2009
they should also measure black men's **** to see if there's a corresponding decrease in size. grin
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by scottN(m): 8:17pm On Jan 01, 2009
I think it has 2 do with d nutrition and d region. Naija chics of nowadays disprove this theory esp those within the ages of 18 to 23.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by bawomolo(m): 8:51pm On Jan 01, 2009
tpia:

either you've never met any AA women or you're based in Germany like the so-called researcher.

that's the only explanation for your statement.

of course, you definitely know this all the way in kiwi country. plain and simple, you have nothing to refute CDC's data other than what you want to see.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 8:56pm On Jan 01, 2009
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by bawomolo(m): 9:01pm On Jan 01, 2009
tpia:

like I said before, the black women[b] you[/b] know may be getting smaller. Not true for black women in general.

A world reknowned scientist also said he discovered black people have low intelligence. Well, maybe from your personal experience, thats also true?

Some of you naija men also say the African girls you know, are generally ugly, and can't match up to AA ladies and other races. Well, thats your own reality, which doesnt match the facts on ground.

Some Yoruba boys also claim Yoruba women arent on par with women of other tribes and especially Igbo girls. Well, if thats true for the ones in your locality, then kudos. But expecting others to agree with you when that's not what their eyes are seeing, is straight out crazy.

Am I clear or did I stutter.

This is an article dug up by Davidylan who from previous posts on Nairaland, has made his stand on black women as a whole, very clear. The so called study was done by a German based in Germany. Do you need to be scammed before you learn to doublecheck what you read on the web.

it doesn't matter if it was done by a german based in germany. the date is from the CDC, the center for disease and control is based in the US. what do you have to REFUTE data collected by the CDC.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 9:05pm On Jan 01, 2009
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by romeo(m): 9:17pm On Jan 01, 2009
tpia:

Only thing I want them to do is find out if black men's d**ks also show a corresponding pattern.

Na so you like that thing reach?  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

[size=3pt]MILF big di.ck sucker cheesy cheesy[/size]
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by bawomolo(m): 9:36pm On Jan 01, 2009
I don't have any inclination to refute a derogatory article on black women posted by the likes of davidylan.

i don't see how derogatory the article is. i'm attracted to short women so i personally don't find it offensive.

There simply arent enough hours in the day to cleanse the aegean stables of his mind.

same goes for you.

you are too bitter for your own good
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 9:41pm On Jan 01, 2009
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by Treetop20(m): 9:46pm On Jan 01, 2009
who cares
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by bawomolo(m): 9:48pm On Jan 01, 2009
funny, thats my exact impression of you and many others here.

ha am hurt
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 9:53pm On Jan 01, 2009
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by 4Play(m): 10:02pm On Jan 01, 2009
I havent noticed any of this personally, because most of the black US women I've observed have all seemed to be on the tall side. In fact, the exact opposite of what this fellow is saying.

Even some of my nieces and other female relatives are mostly tall.

An empirical study has found that the average black woman in America is shorter than their white peers of the same age and shorter than black women of the same age in the 60s.

Your own personal observations, even if the product of an unseemly interest in your fellow women, is wholly irrelevant.

Have you conducted a study measuring black women's height ? 
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by topkin(m): 10:27pm On Jan 01, 2009
@ topic

Come to think of it, i somehow agree with the researcher. I think, there is a great decrease in d height of ladies in recent years. grin
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 02, 2009
tpia:

This is an article dug up by Davidylan who from previous posts on Nairaland, has made his stand on black women as a whole, very clear. The so called study was done by a German based in Germany. Do you need to be scammed before you learn to doublecheck what you read on the web.

very typical of tpia. Rather than go straight to the meat of the topic she prefers to let her bitter outlook on life turn any thread she's on personal.

1. I didnt dig up the article, infact i found it on Huffington post while reading some political article and thought it might be interesting to see what others thought of the study.

2. My stand on black women is not something you have any idea about and is irrelevant to this thread.

3. that the study was done by a German group does not refute their findings. Considering the fact that medical records are on file in virtually any hospital, you really dont need to move from your table to carry out such an empirical study as this. All you need do is obtain access to records and look for varying characteristics between ethnic groups.

4. Have you carried out any independent study on your own to refute this study?

5. Most importantly - you need to seriously sit yourself down and wonder why you are so heavily disliked.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 1:06am On Jan 02, 2009
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by bawomolo(m): 1:13am On Jan 02, 2009
tpia:

surely you're more interested in trading insults?

the topic doesnt even matter, but seizing any opportunity to throw jabs does, not so?

Get your priorities straight- if you need a one-on-one session with tpia, just say so. Na today?

my dear dominatrix, how much do you charge  grin

maybe my contributions can finance your research on the height of black women
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by tpia: 1:15am On Jan 02, 2009
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by RichyBlacK(m): 5:45am On Jan 02, 2009
This is the problem with allowing "arts and commercial" students to interpret empirical results based on systematic data collation and statistical techniques - many of them just don't get it!

How can anecdotes and personal experiences be compared to CDC data? Has anyone here lived for fifty years as an adult? The CDC data surpasses any individual's personal observation in space - extensive geographical reach, and time - none of us have observed "black women", even in a given locale, for fifty years!

If these critics of the study (not that I'm against criticizing any study) understood basic statistics, they'll question the methodology - data partitioning technique, defining the cohorts, level of statistical significance used, etc.; question the time frame - is 50 years enough time to distinguish a localized (in time) trend from a non-localized one? question the data collection technique - how was the data collected? was it self-reported; was it from surveys/questionnaires, was it collated from patient data meant for other purposes? etc.

If no reliable hole can be poked into the data collection technique, the chosen time frame, or methodology used, then one can try to look for reasonable explanations, e.g., dieting; obesity prevalence; early sexual activity; teen pregnancy rates; possible side-effects of contraceptives on appetite, body weight; mate selection (do black males prefer shorter women?); etc.
Re: Are Black American Women Getting Smaller? by Afam(m): 9:17am On Jan 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

This is the problem with allowing "arts and commercial" students to interpret empirical results based on systematic data collation and statistical techniques - many of them just don't get it!

GBAM!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shocking! Ra*pe Any Girl On Sight – The Assam Ra*pe Festival In India Begins » [ / Pelosi Might Face Jail Term For Destroying Trump Speech (pics) / U.S. Army Unveils Robot Dog With Sniper Rifle On Its Back(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.