Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,825 members, 7,862,717 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:42 AM

Some Common Misconceptions About Igbos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Common Misconceptions About Igbos (1355 Views)

Facts About Igbos And Nigeria / 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. / Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Common Misconceptions About Igbos by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 06, 2015
Below are common misconceptions people have about the Igbos:

Igbos don't marry other tribes
I have heard a lot of times that Igbos don't like to marry out to other tribes except theirs. But i tell you, this is not true. In fact, those who believe in this are just making such conclusion out of ignorance cos these days you can see daughters of Igboland spread across the ethnic groups in the country in the name of marriage. In fact, these days, Igbo guys do their hunting outdoors than indoors.

Igbo girls are money mongers
Story for the Gods i will say. Any lady who loves money loves it and there is no too way about it. The reason for this misconception is that Igbo girls take care of themselves very well, and with this, guys out there will think it will be expensive to maintain her or meeting to her standards.The funny part is that most of those who make this statement have never been with an Igbo girl before.

Igbo People from Ngwa eat humans
Hehehehehehe! Ngwa people who are the largest group in Igboland a believed to eat fellow humans especially that of strangers. Please never believe whoever want to discourage you from meeting the man/woman of your dream cos he is from Ngwa. Ngwa people are very generous and hospitable.

Igbo people from Mbaise are wicked by default
They will always tell you "When a snake and an Mbaise man comes to your house, kill the Mbaise man first before the snake cos the snake won't pose much problem". This is a very common saying trying to depict people from Mbaise as dangerous or wicked. But this is just a stereotype

Igbos love money and wealth
Loving money/wealth is quite different from making money. Igbos are enemies to poverty and so trading is like a way of life to them. In fact, a synonym for entrepreneurship is "Igbo". This way of life actually brought about others thinking an average Igbo man loves money. But that's not true! He simply does not play with his business.
The meaning of wealth in Igbo language is "Aku" or "Uba". But for every single igbo name you see with the word "Aku" or "Uba", you will see 1000 Yoruba names with "Ola" - meaning wealth. Yet i won't conclude by saying yorubas love wealth/money.

Igbos don't like to go to school
Some people thinkIgbos don't like going to school because many of them are into business. tell me how can one succeed in business without going to school. Large percentage of Igbos go to school, make good grades and still prefer venture into their own business cos the entrepreneural spirit is inborn.

Igbos from Aba or Onitsha live rough life
These two city are the commercial citys in Igboland and it's liveliness had made it seem like everyone from there live a rough life but this is not true. If you stay away from busy spots in these cities, you will find cool-headed individuals going about their business.

Igbos are not generous
This has come from the fact that igbos don;t joke with their business. An Igbo man will prefer to sell goods to his mum same way he does to every customer knowing too well that he will repay her in ten folds by one means or the other in taking care of her needs. Yes! that Igbos don't play with business does not mean they are not generous.

Igbo and Ibo are same and interchangeable
The language is IGBO, the people are IGBOS! There is nothing like Ibo. This pronunciation must have originated from tribes/languages(especially English) that doesn't have the "GB" alphabet. If you do make this mistake, it's a good thing you are corrected on time.
Re: Some Common Misconceptions About Igbos by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 06, 2015
first of all.......ya all know what I wanted to say.
Re: Some Common Misconceptions About Igbos by Funjosh(m): 5:44pm On Feb 06, 2015
I smell LIES lipsrsealed
Re: Some Common Misconceptions About Igbos by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 07, 2015
I am too IGBOTIC

no apologies mehn.

Bia mama ejima, nye mu ugba na mmii ka m were na enweta mu.

@ OP, in Nigeria some sects will always have a misconception about other sect, as long as such misconception aid them in relieving their anxiety and frustration.
Who care what others think of you?
What matters is how you disprove their believes and bigot notions.

Nairaland asogbue mu.

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Winners Of Mr. & Miss Leboku 2019 / Jute Shopping Bag And Cost Of Jute Bag In Nigeria / Seperating Culture From Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.