Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,579 members, 7,843,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) (1494 Views)

You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate / Senate Blocks Move To Summon Lawan Daura, SSS Boss Over Raids On Judges / Fuel Scarcity: APC Senators Frustrate Move To Summon Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by LRNZH(m): 10:55am On Feb 08, 2015

The chairman of the House of Representative Committee on Public Accounts and Senatorial Candidate of APC for Lagos West Hon. Solomon Adeola have faulted the forensic audit report by Price Water Coopers on the missing NNPC $20billion as submitted to President Goodluck Jonathan and commented on by the Auditor General of the Federation, Mr. Ukura Samuel.

Speaking at a town hall meeting in Ikeja as part of his campaign for Lagos West Senatorial District, Hon. Solomon Adeola said the Auditor General has no locus standi to comment on the audit report as he was not the one that appointed the firm of Price Water House Coopers in the first place and would not have been privy to the terms of reference and rules of engagement given to the auditing firm adding that Public Accounts Committee of the House of Representatives is going to summon the auditing firm on the details of their report when the House resumes after the elections.

“The Auditor General did not appoint the auditing firm that submitted the report. What he gave the public in his press conference is a summarized version of the report and not the full report. We in the House Committee will be requesting for the full report. The firm was appointed by the Ministry of Finance and not the Auditor General ” he stated adding that as far as the House is concern the report raised more questions that answers to the missing Nigerian money.

The Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee said the House need to know the details of how out of $20billion, NNPC was only indicted for $1.48billion adding that Nigerians would want to know the details of what happened to the balance of $18.52billion in clear terms.

“One is not surprised that the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Deiziani Alison-Madueke has quickly ordered payment of the acknowledged missing $1.48billion as this look an easy way to bury the issue but Nigeria demand full accountability on this vexed issue” he said.

The APC Lagos West Senatorial candidate told the Ikeja LGA stakeholders that as the seat of the Lagos State Government, they are the most enlighten in Lagos State and should not make the mistake of sending a novice to represent them at the senate adding that with 12 years of cognate experience in legislative business he is best placed to represent them at the Senate.

http://newsrescue.com/missing-nnpc-20-billion-reps-summon-price-water-coopers/#axzz3R5pZvIyW
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Elslim: 10:57am On Feb 08, 2015
Na 2day... they want to collect their own share be dat ooo
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by naturally: 11:05am On Feb 08, 2015
All this while... Good move though

1 Like

Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by LRNZH(m): 11:27am On Feb 08, 2015
We need to see the actual report. See AGF acting like Nigerians are illiterate.

2 Likes

Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by dustmalik: 11:28am On Feb 08, 2015
We all know how things work in this country. Trust me, nothing will come out of it.

1 Like

Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Ngwakwe: 11:53am On Feb 08, 2015
This same House that hired Enwegbara, on December 18, 2013 for N115m to produce 50 questions on the “State of the Economy,” which the House of Representatives would like to pose to the Minister of Finance.

Our lower chamber has no class nor the capacity to question PwC.

2 Likes

Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by LRNZH(m): 12:15pm On Feb 08, 2015
Ngwakwe:
This same House that hired Enwegbara, on December 18, 2013 for N115m to produce 50 questions on the “State of the Economy,” which the House of Representatives would like to pose to the Minister of Finance.

I can surmise that you prefer the AGF's intepretation of the PwC report than for it to be read and debated out in the open. So unwitting of a disposition.

cc: lalasticlala, isholove, obinoscopy, maclatunji, oam4j

1 Like

Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 08, 2015
Ngwakwe:

They want to be disgraced again.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Ngwakwe: 12:26pm On Feb 08, 2015
LRNZH:

I can surmise that you prefer the AGF's intepretation of the PwC report than for it to be read and debated out in the open. So unwitting of a disposition.

Who has the constitutional responsibility to interpret or analyse the report? I thought You and Barcanista said the report is self explanatory when submitted?

AGF knows we have operational FOI Act and wouldn't be caught meddling with the report thereby putting PwC credibility to question when the company can always be called to produce the report even by US Government or other Western countries where they operate.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by LRNZH(m): 12:32pm On Feb 08, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Who has the constitutional responsibility to interpret or analyse the report? I thought You and Barcanista said the report is self explanatory when submitted?

AGF knows we have operational FOI Act and wouldn't be caught meddling with the report thereby putting PwC credibility to question when the company can always be called to produce the report even by US Government or other Western countries where they operate.

Even you are yet to see that report. You have no basis for claiming it is uninterpretable by the general public, the legislature or the SANs in Nigeria. We are opposed to being spoonfed especially by a govt proven to be driven by kleptomaniacs through and through.

Let us see the report and debate on it. It is far easier than the AGF's interpretations for 168million people, casting aspersions and going to court to enforce FOI unless someone has something to hide.

At least $1.48Billion is proven missing but no word from the Presidency. Too much foul smell in this saga to let it die down without further scrutiny.

1 Like

Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Ngwakwe: 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2015
LRNZH:

Then let us see the report and debate on it. It is far easier than AGF's interpretations for 168million people, casting aspersions and going to court to enforce FOI unless someone has something to hide.

At least $1.48Billion is proven missing but no word from the Presidency. Too much foul smell in this saga to let it die down without further scrutiny.

I am yet to know the authenticity of NNPC's claims having not seen the details of the audit report however, NNPC said the $1.48Billion asked to be refunded is outside the accounting period quoted by former CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido for which would have been reconciled and credited to Federation account thereafter.

The NNPC account with CBN is an unending transaction which is best scrutinised within a given timeframe.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by LRNZH(m): 12:48pm On Feb 08, 2015
Ngwakwe:

I am yet to know the authenticity of NNPC's claims having not seen the details of the audit report however, NNPC said the $1.48Billion asked to be refunded is outside the accounting period quoted by former CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido for which would have been reconciled and credited to Federation account thereafter.

The NNPC account with CBN is an unending transaction which is best scrutinised within a given timeframe.

Simply put, you are now drawn into interpreting a report you have just admitted to not seeing the details of. This is exactly what we do not want in our polity. There is no gainsay in hearsay accounts. Ngwakwe or AGF can only give their views but not their interpretations foisted on us all.
Let us all read the report and put a conclusive end to it.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Ngwakwe: 12:57pm On Feb 08, 2015
LRNZH:

Simply put, you are now drawn into interpreting a report you have just admitted to not seeing the details of. This is exactly what we do not want in our polity. There is no gainsay in hearsay accounts. Ngwakwe or AGF's can only give their views but not their interpretations foisted on us all.
Let us all read the report and put a conclusive end to it.

Forget about the noisemakers clamouring for the impossible.

There is no where in our laws that mandate the President to make the audit report public hence let's see how a lame duck session of HOR can summon PwC.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 08, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Oga Ngwakwe, with due respect, why must only the AGF enjoy exclusive access of the report? What can't the legislative arm be so privileged and the media? What are they hiding from the public? The Ribadu report is still in a dusted shelf. My brother, make we fear God oooooo. There is something fishy I tell you. However, the Reps have no power to summon PWC! Because PWC agreement was with the executive arm and has submitted their report except they are carrying investigation. Our Reps sef na na o. They should summon the President or Finance Minister instead.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 08, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Forget about the noisemakers clamouring for the impossible.

There is no where in our laws that mandate the President to make the audit report public hence let's see how a lame duck session of HOR can summon PwC.
Rightly said, no law mandate the President to make report public except one invokes the FOI act, but for transparency sake the President should come open. What is he hiding? Though our Reps seem not to know their jobs
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by LRNZH(m): 1:20pm On Feb 08, 2015
I wonder if it is inferiority complex or out of memory loss that we hold on to some of our opinions.

The US Senate had summoned Nuhu Ribadu in the past as a witness while debating 'EXAMINING THE U.S. - NIGERIA RELATIONSHIP IN A TIME OF TRANSITION'. Nuhu Ribadu was not bound by any US laws but he honoured the invitation.

To chide our reps for wanting to hear PwC's response is myopic. So long as PwC runs businesses in Nigeria and has audited Gov't agencies in the past, it is only in good faith and makes smart business judgement to honour an invitation by any arm of Nigeria's govt. We do not need a constitutional right to summon PwC.

1 Like

Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Ngwakwe: 1:28pm On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
Rightly said, no law mandate the President to make report public except one invokes the FOI act, but for transparency sake the President should come open. What is he hiding? Though our Reps seem not to know their jobs

The Senate halted their probe of NNPC until the forensic audit by PwC is received.

I believe they will start from where they stopped. Bukola Saraki made a categorical statement to inform Nigerians that there won't be any sacred cow.

I'm hoping and believing the Senate concludes their probe of NNPC as a function of their legislative oversight in the 8th legislative session.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2015
@ LRNZH
What are they summoning pwc for? They have submitted to their client (the Executive arm), what else does Reps want them to do? Are they government agency? The person to summon FIRST is the Minister of Finance, and next the AGF, Petroleum Minister, CBN and NNPC. The PWC summon should bo to clarify on their own report if the reps have any reason to believe that the government officers are hiding something or when the reps really want to get right their fact. Bros our reps de fall hand abeg!!!
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2015
Is it not the Senate that gave the nnpc clean bill of health? Why can't they contract a different audit firm independently to look into the books? The people accused are the executives mind you! See we need competent people in parliament. We have too many jokes in NASS! As for Saraki..lol
Ngwakwe:

The Senate halted their probe of NNPC until the forensic audit by PwC is received.

I believe they will start from where they stopped. Bukola Saraki made a categorical statement to inform Nigerians that there won't be any sacred cow.

I'm hoping and believing the Senate concludes their probe of NNPC as a function of their legislative oversight in the 8th legislative session.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2015
From $50bn to $20 to $10 and now $1.

Una see una life?

Continue believing in Taqiyya practicing northerners like Sanusi who are pathological liars.

This is how common WASC Buhari is dribbling you every where.

Open your eyes people.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
Is it not the Senate that gave the nnpc clean bill of health? Why can't they contract a different audit firm independently to look into the books? The people accused are the executives mind you! See we need competent people in parliament. We have too many jokes in NASS! As for Saraki..lol

The senate committee has since concluded that Sanusi lied.

The internal audit was not carried out by the senate but Blythe executive.

Now that the independent auditors have shown that all Sanusi's allegations are blatant lies what do you guys want again?
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2015
LRNZH:

Even if you are given the report to feel, smell and taste you won't still believe.

Ntoor!

See una life
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by LRNZH(m): 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2015
barcanista:
@ LRNZH
What are they summoning pwc for? They have submitted to their client (the Executive arm), what else does Reps want them to do? Are they government agency? The person to summon FIRST is the Minister of Finance, and next the AGF, Petroleum Minister, CBN and NNPC. The PWC summon should bo to clarify on their own report if the reps have any reason to believe that the government officers are hiding something or when the reps really want to get right their fact. Bros our reps de fall hand abeg!!!

I hold a different opinion.
These people and agencies that you quote have been summoned by the senate in the past. Did anything meaningful come out of the hearings? I dear say no.

The reps can waste their time and go through the route you listed or jump the nonsense and speak directly with PwC. It is mind boggling that between $10Billion and $20Billion in dispute (even attested to by NOI herself), has become $1.48Billion. I am with the reps on this one.
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by LRNZH(m): 1:52pm On Feb 08, 2015
BackDatAssUp:

Even if you are given the report to feel, smell and taste you won't still believe.

Ntoor!

See una life

And the flies show up.......buzzzzzzz
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 08, 2015
LRNZH:

Even if you were given the original report to hold in your hands, smell and taste you won't still believe.

Ntoor!
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2015
LRNZH:

These people and agencies that you quote have been summoned by the senate in the past. Did anything meaningful come out of the hearings? I dear say no.

The reps can waste their time and go through the route you listed or jump the nonsense and speak directly with PwC. It is mind boggling that between $10Billion and $20Billion in dispute (even attested to by NOI herself), has become $1.48Billion. I am with the reps on this one.

Mumu the senate has since come out to declare that Sanusi lied!

Google it.

Plebian
Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 08, 2015
LRNZH:

[size=18pt]Mumu[/size]

[size=38pt]Sanusi lied about $49.8bn missing money – Senate committee[/size]

MAY 29, 2014 BY SUNDAY ABORISADE

The Senate Committee on Finance on Wednesday described as untrue allegations by the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mallam Lamido Sanusi, that $49.8bn was missing from the Federation Account.

The committee, led by Senator Ahmed Makarfi, which submitted its report also said the total crude oil lifting from January 2012 to July 2013 was $67bn and not $65bn as claimed by Sanusi.

Sanusi had written President Goodluck Jonathan alleging that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation had failed to remit $49.8bn, being part of the income it generated from the sale of crude oil to the Federation Account.

But the committee stated that all the agencies, which made presentations to it, agreed after reconciliation that $47bn out of the $67bn had been credited to the Federation Account, leaving only $20bn yet to be accounted for.

It added that the $5.254bn spent on subsidy for Premium Motor Spirit by the Petroleum Products Pricing and Regulatory Agency, which was part of the $20bn, was covered by the Appropriation Acts of 2012 and 2013.

It, however, said that $3.512bn for kerosene subsidy certified by PPPRA for the period January 2012 to July 2013 was not appropriated for by the National Assembly.

The committee, therefore, asked the management of the NNPC to refund $262m to the Federation Account, being the expenses it could not satisfactorily defend during the just concluded probe of the alleged missing $49.8bn.

It also asked the corporation to remit the balance of $218m out of the $2.4bn third party financing, out of which the share of the Federation Account was $1.58bn.

It also recommended the complete stoppage of the subsidy regime in the country.

The $262m, which the NNPC was asked to refund, was in respect of holding strategic stock reserve, pipeline maintenance and management cost, and capital expenditure.

The committee stated in the report, “There is the need for the subsidy regime to be totally discontinued with. All stakeholders, however, should be consulted and carried along as much as possible before abolishing the subsidy.”

It further noted that royalties and taxes amounting to $447.8m, being outstanding from the Federation Account share from the $6.815bn listings by the NNPC on behalf of the NPDC, remained unremitted

It also noted that gross lifting under the third party financing arrangement was $2.4bn, out of which the share for Federation Account was $1.588bn

“The Attorney-General of the Federation confirmed and gave documentary evidence showing the sum of $1,370,172,650.36 was remitted to the Federation Account,” the report stated.

The committee, therefore, recommended that the NNPC should remit the balance of $218,069,354.32 to the Federation Account

“The NNPC should refund and remit to the Federation Account the sum of $262m, being expenses it could not satisfactorily defend of holding strategic stock reserve; pipeline maintenance and management cost and capital expenditure,” it stated.

It said that further legislative action by the Senate should be taken after the receipt of the forensic audit being undertaken at the NNPC by the Auditor-General for the Federation and auditors.

It asked the NNPC not pay for its operational expenditures directly from the federation’s funds without appropriation by the National Assembly and that the corporation should strictly adhere to international best practices in keeping records.

Other recommendations are: “That the NNPC should not control the revenue account of the NPDC in order not to undermine its separate legal status and make accountability more difficult.

“That average number of days taken to discharge a vessel load of 33 and a half days as against the expected one and a half days resulting in $207.8m demurrage.

“The committee could not see how the figure of $49.8bn was arrived at by the CBN governor in the first instance.

“That the CBN governor at the first hearing had forwarded the figure of $12bn as money to be reconciled and changed his position to $20bn at subsequent hearings.

“At the conclusion of his written submission, Sanusi posited that it could be $20bn, $12bn, $10.8bn or anything in between.

“The CBN governor orally or in writing never outright submitted that money was missing but that money was not remitted to the Federation Account by the NNPC.”

The committee also recommended that President Goodluck Jonathan should prepare and present to the National Assembly a supplementary budget to cover the over-expenditure in the sum of N90.693bn for PMS subsidy for 2012.

It also said the sum of N685.910bn for kerosene subsidy expended without appropriation by the National Assembly in 2012 and 2013 should also be covered by the supplementary budget.

The committee observed that there was lack of proper and adequate coordination between key agencies of the government such as Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Petroleum Resources, the CBN, NNPC, Department of Petroleum Resources, and Federal Inland Revenue Service.

It noted that the issue of non-remittance of oil revenue was not new and that it was the not the CBN governor that first discovered it, adding that it had been a recurring issue at the monthly Federation Account Allocation Committee meetings.

[size=28pt]The committee, however, stated that it could not see how the figure of $49.8bn was arrived at by the CBN in the first instance.[/size]

Re: MISSING NNPC $20 BILLION: Reps To Summon PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 08, 2015
LRNZH:

PWC needs to be called to explain how the $18.4 billion disrepancy was explained because NNPC was indicted for $1.48 billion out of $20 billion. In Nigeria we know the steps people can make to cover up or do frauds remember the N2.3 Thrillion subsidy scam the same NNPC,DPR and Ministry of Petroleum officials were involved in.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Clears Oyo, Wins In 19 Lgs._ pmnewsnigeria / Buhari's Victory - Naira Appreciate By 7%, Now ₦211 To Dollar / The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.