Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,154 members, 7,811,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC (1058 Views)

Jonathan Urges Nigerians To Patiently Wait For INEC To Collate, Announce Result / U.S. Lawmakers Warn Nigerian Government Against Further Shift Of Elections / Election Postponement Was Actually A Lifeline For INEC - REC Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by bandol(m): 7:48am On Feb 09, 2015
I knew INEC wasn't adequately prepared for the elections. Its staff are complaining here and there of loads of failed promises. Ad-hock staff training was something else.
Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which was ill-prepared to conduct the elections this month.
A Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) assigned to one of the northern states, who spoke to THISDAY on the condition of anonymity, said the advice by the security chiefs and the National Security Adviser (NSA) to defer the elections because of the security situation in the North-east gave INEC the much needed breather to prepare adequately for the polls.

He said contrary to reports that 21 of the RECs had opposed the postponement of the polls during their meeting at the weekend with the INEC chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, that was not the case, as all they did was to give him situational reports on each of the 36 states of the federation and Abuja.

The INEC REC further revealed that the training and simulation exercises for INEC officials and thousands of ad hoc staff on how to use the card readers for the permanent voters’ cards during the polls had not been conducted.
“The training manual is not ready while simulations for the card readers have not been conducted. Our personnel and ad hoc staff do not know how to use the card readers, and some that have been tested were not working.
“Apart from this, over 23 million registered voters had not picked up their cards; that is about 34 per cent of registered voters. So were we going to disenfranchise them under the pretext that not all of them would vote?
“It is not INEC’s responsibility to dwell on voter apathy. Ours is to ensure that all cards get to the voters. Whether they turn out to vote or not is their prerogative, not that of INEC,” he said.

The REC said Jega had not been entirely honest when he made his presentation to the Council of State last week on the preparedness of the electoral commission for the polls.
“We were far from being ready and had we proceeded with our state of unpreparedness in February, we would have faced greater challenges than what we encountered during the 2011 general election when we were forced to postpone the elections by two weeks.
“So the insecurity in the North-east has offered INEC a lifeline to get its act together and sort out most, if not all, pending issues before the polls start on March 28,” he said.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/revealed-shift-of-election-was-a-lifeline-for-inec/201368/

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by lacasa: 7:56am On Feb 09, 2015
Rubbish!

Taken from Obaigbena's Thisday newspapers, this sort of lies r expected

#March4Buhari
Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by yomip3t(m): 7:57am On Feb 09, 2015
Fuullss!
Another PDP institution!
Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by EdDave(m): 7:58am On Feb 09, 2015
I actually agree that INEC was not ready, with non-availability of PVCs and shortage of training( which is still ongoing) materials for ad-hoc staff.

2 Likes

Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by zik4ever: 8:08am On Feb 09, 2015
Whilst I won’t dabble into or dispute the alleged politics surrounding the postponement, it must be said that INEC has challenges which appear not to have been made known publicly. I tried to get my PVC in Port Harcourt last Saturday (same date of the postponement) and all in vain. I had to eventually get to the INEC office in Obio Akpor LGA -the one opposite Brainfield School along the East West road and the PVCs (apparently just supplied), were being sorted out and packed into bags for conveyance to various registration centres. People massed at the place with no clarity of where to get their PVCs. Mine was to be at Ward 3 but someone told me the lady in charge of distribution at the ward, who I learnt wasn’t a direct INEC staff, hadn’t been around for days. Also, we were told that many of the INEC staff including their "oga" were in a training that Saturday meaning that staff were yet to be trained before then?

2 Likes

Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by Nobody: 8:16am On Feb 09, 2015
I want to see TWO President in Nigeria PDP rig the election GMB form parallel government!!!!!
Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by ofala(m): 8:17am On Feb 09, 2015
ThisDay Newspaper is going overboard with their biased reportage .....

We expect more of these within the next 6 weeks

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by otokx(m): 8:20am On Feb 09, 2015
There is a lot of truth here.

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by eaglechild: 8:25am On Feb 09, 2015
studio14:
I want to see TWO President in Nigeria PDP rig the election GMB form parallel government!!!!!
APC always supporting chaos and violence.
Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by tobnical(m): 8:27am On Feb 09, 2015
Hnmmmm!!!!!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by Nobody: 8:27am On Feb 09, 2015
eaglechild:

APC always supporting chaos and violence.
PDP always rigging
Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by alaoeri: 8:30am On Feb 09, 2015
Had it been the election will go the PDP way they won't dare shifting it, PDP has gathered intelligent report which shows that they will loose gallantly if the election goes as planned.

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by Djicemob: 8:35am On Feb 09, 2015
ofala:
ThisDay Newspaper is going overboard with their biased reportage .....

We expect more of these within the next 6 weeks
Every news not singing the praise of marchuary is biased.Am begining to wonder if my TV and home theatre is also biased. undecided
Re: Revealed: Shift Of Election Was A Lifeline For INEC by TheGeneral1(m): 8:45am On Feb 09, 2015
March 1= M
March 2= U
March 3= H
March 4= A
March 5= M
March 6= M
March 7= A
March 8= D
March 9= U
March10= B
March11= U
March12= H
March13= A
March15= R
March16= I
March 17= Y
March 18= E
March 19= M
March 20= I
March 21= O
March 22= S
March 23= I
March 24= N
March 25= B
March 26= A
March 27= J
March 28= O
Change is coming!!

(1) (Reply)

Jigawa PDP Governorship Aspirant Defects To APC / POLITICS / The Real Afobaje (kingmaker) Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.