Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking (1547 Views)

My Dad Wants To Disown My Brother. I Don't Know How To Advice Him / Dear Family Please Advice A Wife To Be!!! / How To Advice A Teenager On Sex Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 10, 2015
I've known dis lady for more than a year, we're good friends and we share almost the Same political ideologies..

I met her on the night of the PDP gubernatorial primaries at a hotel drinking and smoking with guys, I like her, and would love to carry her baby someday..
But the problem is, I don't know how to politely or diplomatically tell ha to stop smoking..

Modified: I heard smoking can affect pregnancy
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by thorpido(m): 1:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
Simply tell her..........just the same way you will advise anyone to give up habits that are detrimental to good health.
Let her know the implications of smoking especially it's effect on pregnancy and the baby.

#don't know what you mean by carry her baby.

2 Likes

Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by crackhaus: 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2015
If she's a compulsive smoker, it's going to be hard getting her to stop - but from my experience with women who smoke, most of them are ceremonial smokers...just for the fun of it.

Just let her know how you feel about her smoking, don't try to lecture or guilt-trip her into quitting. If she cares for you, she would actively try to stop.

2 Likes

Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by pickabeau1: 2:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
transit4:
I've known dis lady for more than a year, we're good friends and we share almost the Same political ideologies..

I met her on the night of the PDP gubernatorial primaries at a hotel drinking and smoking with guys, I like her, and would love to carry her baby someday..
But the problem is, I don't know how to politely or diplomatically tell ha to stop smoking..

You would love to carry her baby?

Are you a lez
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 10, 2015

2 Likes

Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by coogar: 3:11pm On Feb 10, 2015
pickabeau1:

Are you a lez

midwife. grin
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by ifyalways(f): 3:30pm On Feb 10, 2015
pickabeau1:

Are you a lez
Lmao. wink

Wanted to ask same question.

OP, must be high from inhaling expired Rothmas from the said lady.

@OP, you can't force an adult to change or quit a habit. You either accept her as she is, warts and all, patiently point out the health risks associated with smoking or dive into the next bus.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by KanwuliaJara: 4:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
As an adult, she needs no advice! kiss
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by MizMyColi(f): 9:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
Advise in itself is not a bad thing.

What I find rather puerile is when people advise you in such controlling manner, like you're supposed to alter your life to fit into a particular mould of theirs, giving you the impression that your life as it is, is not good enough.

I can bet the first three letters in my moniker that the young woman got herself further plunged into the world of smoking and heavy drinking as a result of people's judgemental and unrepentantly opinionated nature.

OP, advise her, yes.
But trust me, if you so much as sound judgemental or play the blame game downright on her, you'll keep loosing her to that world.

Wisdom remains profitable to direct.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by SirShymexx: 11:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
Err, I don't think you can either advise or force people to stop smoking, especially when the person is a regular smoker. That can only work with social smokers. Heavy smokers are the worst. It can only happen with will power, and medical help. Then again, some folks are lucky and there is going to be a time when their bodies will start rejecting it - and that'll induce a phobia for smoking.

Also, apparently there's a drug out there now that can also hasten the process. Or you can advise her to get nicotine patches, and they'll gradually reduce the urge in the brain sensors.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by DollyParton1(f): 12:35am On Feb 11, 2015
SirShymexx:
Err, I don't think you can either advise or force people to stop smoking, especially when the person is a regular smoker. That can only work with social smokers. Heavy smokers are the worst. It can only happen with will power, and medical help. Then again, some folks are lucky and there is going to be a time when their bodies will start rejecting it - and that'll induce a phobia for smoking.

Also, apparently there's a drug out there now that can also hasten the process. Or you can advise her to get nicotine patches, and they'll gradually reduce the urge in the brain sensors.

No drug hasten the process, It just relieves the anxiety symptoms associated with nicotine/tobacco withdrawal. Neither does nicotine patches reduce any sensory urge.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by DollyParton1(f): 12:37am On Feb 11, 2015
transit4:

Modified: I heard smoking can affect pregnancy
Trust me. Every smokers know how bad the effect of smoking is. The problem lies in the will power to stop. And the fear of those horrible periods of withdrawal.

1 Like

Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by SirShymexx: 12:39am On Feb 11, 2015
DollyParton1:

No drug hasten then process, It just relieves the anxiety symptoms associated with withdrawal. Neither does nicotine patches reduce any sensory urge.

Are you sure? - someone told me about a drug last Dec. - some white chic at work, and she said it's highly effectively. I was on nicotine patches then, and it did work a bit. It's a 6-week procedure but I didn't complete it due to work and Xmas. Should probably continue sometime this month.

Anyway, what's the best way to stop completely?
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by Nobody: 12:41am On Feb 11, 2015
DollyParton1:

Trust me. Every smokers know how bad the effect of smoking is. The problem lies in the will power to stop. And the fear of those horrible periods of withdrawal.

u r ryt.. i want to see how to make her develop the will power to stop
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by DollyParton1(f): 12:44am On Feb 11, 2015
SirShymexx:

Are you sure? - someone told me about a drug last Dec. - some white chic at work, and she said it's highly effectively. I was on nicotine patches then, and it did work a bit. It's a 6-week procedure but I didn't complete it due to work and Xmas. Should probably continue sometime this month.

1.Did u talk to our GP?
2. Joined a support group?

Was ur colleague talking about Buspirone?
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by raumdeuter: 12:59am On Feb 11, 2015
SirShymexx:

Try e-cig. The ones with vapor. And reduce from there

Try Chantix
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by SirShymexx: 1:01am On Feb 11, 2015
DollyParton1:

1.Did u talk to our GP?
2. Joined a support group?

Was ur colleague talking about Buspirone?

Yes, I spoke to my GP and he was the one who told me to register for the programme. I actually went to see him for something else, but I smoked before going there, hence he advised me to stop.

It wasn't a support group - I was assigned to a nurse, and weekly visits, to check improvements and prescribe more patches. It did work though, and I only smoke socially now (but it's more of electronic cigarette with no nicotine). Should stop soon.

That's the name - Buspirone. Are you in the medical field?
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by DollyParton1(f): 1:06am On Feb 11, 2015
transit4:

u r ryt.. i want to see how to make her develop the will power to stop
Thats where people get it wrong. No one can make her develop the will power. Not even the doctors. You can only nudge her gently towards the path to change.
You can start by letting her know the risks associated with smoking. And the benefits of smoking cessation.
Ask her what she thinks will happen to her if she doesn't smoke, (most of them just say smoking helps them to relax and deal with stress) whatever she says, try to find solutions to the fears, I mean how she can relax and unwind aside smoking.
Important thing is that she has to change for herself and not for anyone else.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by SirShymexx: 1:08am On Feb 11, 2015
raumdeuter:

Try e-cig. The ones with vapor. And reduce from there

Try Chantix

Thanks, bro.

I smoke only e-cigs now...should stop that soon as well.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by DollyParton1(f): 1:11am On Feb 11, 2015
SirShymexx:

Yes, I spoke to my GP and he was the one who told me to register for the programme. I actually went to see him for something else, but I smoked before going there, hence he advised me to stop.

It wasn't a support group - I was assigned to a nurse, and weekly visits, to check improvements and prescribe more patches. It did work though, and I only smoke socially now (but it's more of electronic cigarette with no nicotine). Should stop soon.

That's the name - Buspirone. Are you in the medical field?
Buspirone is an anxiolytic agent. Just for treating the symptoms of anxiety arising from Nicotine withdrawal.
And the patch is to help taper off the quantity of nicotine in your bloodstream.... Better than abrupt stopping.

Yes I am in the medical field.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by SirShymexx: 1:28am On Feb 11, 2015
Erm, spambot got you?

Pele, Egba meet Osun chic. tongue

Hit the supermods or mukina2. Wanna read ya reply before I hit the sheets.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by Godson201333(m): 3:25am On Feb 11, 2015
You want to carry her baby or you want her to carry your. Baby
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by Nobody: 5:46am On Feb 11, 2015
Godson201333:
You want to carry her baby or you want her to carry your. Baby
I chuckled when I read that earlier. I really hope it was a typo and OP meant the latter, lol.

1 Like

Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by SirShymexx: 2:28pm On Feb 11, 2015
DollyParton1:

Buspirone is an anxiolytic agent. Just for treating the symptoms of anxiety arising from Nicotine withdrawal.
And the patch is to help taper off the quantity of nicotine in your bloodstream.... Better than abrupt stopping.

Yes I am in the medical field.

Oh, I get it now. Also, apparently, when you use the drug, it causes chest pains for a while. I was meant to ask my GP about it, but cos it's a new drug...and the fear-factor about side effects with drugs, made me leave it alone. Coupled with the fact that the patches were helping a bit. I don't even like taking drugs cos of my addictive nature - I get addicted to things easily once they become part of my routine.

Yes, the process involved in patches is gradual. Another thing: the nurse told me during the thingy that smoking with patches on can cause brain defects. Why is that?

Anyway, are you a Trainee Doctor? Or a Nurse?

Darn! The young nurses I bump into every time I hit the A & E are always sexy as fvck, with batty shaking everywhere. Unlike the old ones I see at normal GP's place.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by DollyParton1(f): 3:01pm On Feb 11, 2015
SirShymexx:

Oh, I get it now. Also, apparently, when you use the drug, it causes chest pains for a while. I was meant to as my GP about it, but cos it's a new drug...and the fear-factor about side effects with drugs, made me leave it alone. Coupled with the fact that the patches were helping a bit. I don't even like taking drugs cos of my addictive nature - I get addicted to things easily once they become part of my routine.

Yes, the process involved patches is gradual. Another thing: the nurse told me during the thingy that smoking with patches on can cause brain defects. Why is that?

Anyway, are you a Trainee Doctor? Or a Nurse?

Darn! The young nurses I bump into every time I hit the A & E are always sexy as fvck, with batty shaking everywhere. Unlike the old ones I see at normal GP's place.

Smoking with patches on is Overdosing on nicotine. Patches contain nicotine that is released gradually into the system, so smoking with that just means u are are getting nicotine from two sources into ur system. There are so many side effects of smoking with patches on. I think when the nurse said brain damage, what she had in mind was stroke or cardiac arrest as one of the long term effects, those two can lead to brain damage ( especially stroke). I think she just wanted to scare u. grin grin But its not advisable to combine smoking with patches.Odikwa very risky grin grin
Meanwhile the drug is an anxiolytic agent and anxiolytic agents are addictive generally just that this one is different cos it is not chemically or pharmacologically related to other anxiolytic drugs. But really most doctors won't recommend it if u don't ask for it. Smoking cessation is more about personal resolution and social intervention lots of people have quit smoking without that drug.

I studied Medicine.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by SirShymexx: 3:34pm On Feb 11, 2015
DollyParton1:

Smoking with patches on is Overdosing on nicotine. Patches contain nicotine that is released gradually into the system, so smoking with that just means u are are getting nicotine from two sources into ur system. There are so many side effects of smoking with patches on. I think when the nurse said brain damage, what she had in mind was stroke or cardiac arrest as one of the long term effects, those two can lead to brain damage ( especially stroke). I think she just wanted to scare u. grin grin But its not advisable to combine smoking with patches.Odikwa very risky grin grin
Meanwhile the drug is an anxiolytic agent and anxiolytic agents are addictive generally just that this one is different cos it is not chemically or pharmacologically related to other anxiolytic drugs. But really most doctors won't recommend it if u don't ask for it. Smoking cessation is more about personal resolution and social intervention lots of people have quit smoking without that drug.

I studied Medicine.

Lol. When she alluded to brain damage, I was scared as fvck, cos I remember during Uni times, when they used to hand out nicotine gums to smokers (I wasn't even a regular cig smoker back then - more of a weed head like other students). I used to chew that ish, then go raving later in the night and light a cancer stick up after binge drinking lol. The scare tactic did work cos I stayed away from cigs when I was on patches...can't afford to mess up my brain. That's my money-maker and what has got me this far in life.

Also, why can't they just ban nicotine (cigs)? Folks don't even know it's like class A drug, and when it becomes an addiction - it's somewhat difficult to stop. Unlike weed which you can stop abruptly. When I stopped smoking weed years ago - I just stopped cos it was messing up my routine and making me lazy. I only mess with it now like once in every 4-6 months, or when I'm on holz in a foreign country and, I need to relax and get myself in a zone different from the norm lol.

I hear that. So, basically, the drug would've created more problems then. Thank God I never asked for that mofo. Also, what are the

Trained Doctor? - I like that. I think I found meself a personal Doctor. My current GP is the best on this planet...never had a GP as good as him, apart from the one I had way back when I was young. But I think I'm switching to you. Can I be ya patient? Gatts diagnose a nyggah with some shiit, man. E-hyperactive I-Dont-Give-A-Fvck syndrome - is there any cure for that? I defo need to start hitting you up from time to time for medical advice...I'm impressed.
Re: How To Advice A Lady To Stop Smoking by EfemenaXY: 10:12pm On Feb 13, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. When she alluded to brain damage, I was scared as fvck, cos I remember during Uni times, when they used to hand out nicotine gums to smokers (I wasn't even a regular cig smoker back then - more of a weed head like other students). I used to chew that ish, then go raving later in the night and light a cancer stick up after binge drinking lol. The scare tactic did work cos I stayed away from cigs when I was on patches...can't afford to mess up my brain. That's my money-maker and what has got me this far in life.
Also, why can't they just ban nicotine (cigs)? Folks don't even know it's like class A drug, and when it becomes an addiction - it's somewhat difficult to stop. Unlike weed which you can stop abruptly. When I stopped smoking weed years ago - I just stopped cos it was messing up my routine and making me lazy. I only mess with it now like once in every 4-6 months, or when I'm on holz in a foreign country and, I need to relax and get myself in a zone different from the norm lol.
I hear that. So, basically, the drug would've created more problems then. Thank God I never asked for that mofo. Also, what are the
Trained Doctor? - I like that. I think I found meself a personal Doctor. My current GP is the best on this planet...never had a GP as good as him, apart from the one I had way back when I was young. But I think I'm switching to you. Can I be ya patient? Gatts diagnose a nyggah with some shiit, man. E-hyperactive I-Dont-Give-A-Fvck syndrome - is there any cure for that? I defo need to start hitting you up from time to time for medical advice...I'm impressed.

But why did you take it up in the first place? Peer pressure? undecided

I went jogging a few days ago and ran past this very fat, dark, black dude smoking a ciggie at a watch repairer's. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought it was you o! grin grin grin

Been meaning to ask if you light up, but no need to now.

(1) (Reply)

My 3 Year Old Was Molested. Please Advise / Can You Marry A Single Mother? – Share Your Opinion Below / English Plain And Pattern Fabrics For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.