Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,732 members, 7,831,334 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] (65178 Views)

Wizkid Has Been Nominated For A Grammy Award / Kevin Olusola: From Medicine To Grammy Award Winner / 26 Year Old Nigerian, Kelvin Olusola, Won A Grammy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by ogaprime(m): 9:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
CrazyScientist:
Somebody told me parapapanpa.... When we pam pam pam pam, parapapanpa grin

He hasn't stepped his feet in Nigeria, so hes an american grin

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Orikinla(m): 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2015
[size=48pt]He is not the first Nigerian to win a Grammy.
Shade Adu, Seal and one other Nigerian have won the Grammy awards.[/size]
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Orikinla(m): 9:44pm On Feb 10, 2015
Creamish:
@OP... Wat country was Sade Adu from when she won the Grammy award 4 times?

Sade has received four awards from nine nominations.

1986 Sade Best New Artist

1994 "No Ordinary Love" Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals Won

2002 Lovers Rock Best Pop Vocal Album Won

2011 "Soldier of Love" Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals Won
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Sade

Dat dude isn't the first... tongue

The OP is AS CLUELESS AS GEJ. grin

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by TundeCole(m): 9:47pm On Feb 10, 2015
alexlee50:
Poster get your facts right.The first nigerian to win a grammy was Sade Adu and that was in 1985.The other nigerian is seal.

Op needs to do more research on dis!

Sade Adu ..... 3x grammies winner

Samuel Olamide (SEAL) ..... 2x grammy award winner

Lets say Olusola is a new addition.

Good for Naija!

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by jimmyjunky: 9:49pm On Feb 10, 2015
Afroconnect:
Nairaland mods take that false story/report off the front page,the whole world will be laughing.

Sade Adu won a grammy,also did Seal,these are Nigerians,Tinieh Tempah too.
Tinie tempah hasn't.
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by xtervaganza(m): 9:51pm On Feb 10, 2015
rahazaqa:
good for him. Yorubas making 9ja proud.
Yorubas smashing Grammy to smithereens

Sade Adu, Seal
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by xtervaganza(m): 9:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
missdebs:
meanwhile, 9ce still hasnt gotten that grammy
and does that make him less accomplished?
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by eaglechild: 9:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
funmilayoB:
why is it that yoruba musicians get grammy nomination
anytime we r nominated? does that means we r better
than d others?
1 Sade Adu
2 Wale
3 Tiwa salvage
4 Asa
5 Nas
6 Femi kuti
7 Olando julius
8 Fela kuti
9 Oluwole olusola
10 Tunde (Lighthouse family)
11 Seal
12 Angélique Kidjo
Among others
Thank god the igbos r coming up graduall

2 Likes

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by hadizadeezy(f): 9:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
endy4oxide:
nice but this is a group award......

we still hoping on our indigenous, naija born nd breed artist to bring home GRAMMY
don't tell you are still waiting for 9ice to bring home that his invicible grammy?
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by obiak4(m): 9:59pm On Feb 10, 2015
Creamish:
@OP... Wat country was Sade Adu from when she won the Grammy award 4 times?

Sade has received four awards from nine nominations.

1986 Sade Best New Artist

1994 "No Ordinary Love" Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals Won

2002 Lovers Rock Best Pop Vocal Album Won

2011 "Soldier of Love" Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals Won
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Sade

Dat dude isn't the first... tongue
op is not current sade adu won the grammy numerous times olushola is the 3rd nigerian
no nigerian based in 9ja has ever won it but we have got nominess like femi kuti

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Egbagirl(f): 10:00pm On Feb 10, 2015
Aida13:

You insulted me first. Why say 'which name will he use, abi na your papa name'?? That was disrespectful. And it's self-hate because you just can't fathom why anyone would consider him Nigerian, which makes you come across as someone who deep down hates to associate with her true roots.

The guy is Nigerian. Not only because we CHOOSE to view him as such, but because he has Nigerian blood on his FATHER'S side. End of. Nigerian blood flows through his veins. Just like your father's blood flows through your veins and you claim your father's surname as a result. Even if you never stepped on Nigerian soil or even know the country exists, you can't run from the fact that if not for the PLACE you happened to be born in, you would be considered a Nigerian because of your father. If it was his mother who was a Nigerian it might be a little different.

Your manner of approach from the beginning left a lot to be desired. It felt like you were spoiling for a fight. So I gave you one. Now you want to run and hide. They call people like you cyber bullies. But you start to quake when the other person bites back.

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. Jokes aside, I'm done with this argument.

To you, he is Nigerian. Great! I'm happy for you.

To me, to the American government, to the Nigerian governemnt, he is American.

Btw, I did not insult you, I did not insult your father,and I did not insult your name. Learn motto take things too personal smiley

Na me even get time for all dis story sef. My playtime is over. Peace.

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 10, 2015
eaglechild:

yea she's frm yoruba tribe of benin republic
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by danies1941(m): 10:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
endy4oxide:

we still hoping on our indigenous, naija born nd breed artist to bring home GRAMMY

What really is the urge or need for a Nigerian to win a Grammy.

The Grammys are good-but its an American award designed primarily for music produced and sold in America for Americans. They do have a section for International music-but those awards are not even given during the main night.

To win a Grammy -like act of the year or best song or best artiste-means a Nigerian will have to produce a song designed for the American audience-that is a long shot.

Lets develop our own music awards-I think its called PMAN awards? Lets make it credible enough that if we give an international act award-the winners will be proud to display it. The Nobel Prize for example is not an American product-yet it is the most prestigious award in the world today.

The Nigerian music industry is big enough to do it.

2 Likes

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
Dint knw he was part of dat pentatonix band, hez d only black guy amongst them. They did an accapella of a christmas tune makes super brain.
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by ggrin(f): 10:11pm On Feb 10, 2015
KingTom:
Guy if I have offended you before in any way. I apologise, please this insult is too much please grin
I be insult abi grin

Gej! grin
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by ggrin(f): 10:11pm On Feb 10, 2015
iceberylin:

You worst past ggrin angry
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by IGBOSON1: 10:13pm On Feb 10, 2015
MillionDollars:
Which of them is the guy

^^^The white one in a dress!
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by eaglechild: 10:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
funmilayoB:

yea she's frm yoruba tribe of benin republic

She is Fon
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by NuelJ1(m): 10:21pm On Feb 10, 2015
Have you been looking for a decent way to making money online? Look no further!!! Log on to http:///1CeGbHN. Its tested and trusted!!

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by KingTom(m): 10:28pm On Feb 10, 2015
ggrin:
I be insult abi grin

Gej! grin
Why evils na grin
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Shoutozone: 10:30pm On Feb 10, 2015
dkronicle:
There are blacks also in ameriaca. Who is d kelvin olusola in d pix ?
Guy, use your brain now.
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Tafugo: 10:33pm On Feb 10, 2015
Seal is also of Nigerian Yoruba heritage and has won multiple Grammys
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by dkronicle(m): 10:44pm On Feb 10, 2015
U re sick, if i tel u dencia is from west africa will u bliv it ? So every dark skind man is a nigerian.. Maybe u should apply yr 6sense to it.
Shoutozone:
Guy, use your brain now.
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by kingjohnny(m): 10:50pm On Feb 10, 2015
A great son of a great nation for grease to your elbows
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Olufemiolaolu(m): 10:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
dkronicle:
There are blacks also in ameriaca. Who is d kelvin olusola in d pix ?
Are so daft dat u cant even read? Naa bad belle dey worry you.
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by bogolobango(m): 10:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
@funmilayoB u won give dem heart attack or na ibp na to dey tarnish naija image dem sabi and to give bad record dem go still to thier biafran republic

PROUDLY YORUBA JOOR

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Olufemiolaolu(m): 10:55pm On Feb 10, 2015
endy4oxide:

Award naa award ooooo
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Olufemiolaolu(m): 10:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
olillywales:
The biggest annual music award, The Grammys in its 57th edition, went down on Sunday, February 9, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California and guess what a Nigerian went home with an award. Yes you heard right! A Nigerian won for the first time!

Nigerian, Kelvin Olusola, went home with the award for Best Arrangement, Instrumental Or Acapella.
kevin-olusola-57th-grammy-awards-premiere-4v8nzz5iefil

Kelvin picked up an award alongside his acapella band, Pentatonix taking home the award in the ‘Arrangement, Instrumental or acappella’ category for their medley ‘Daft Punk’, a remake of Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky.

Here are few things you need to know about the record breaker, Kelvin Olusola:

Born in the United States to Nigerian father and Grenadian mother, Kelvin is a 26 year old beatboxer.

He is a graduate of prestigious IVY League college, Yale University from where he graduated in 2011 with a degree in East Asian Studies.

Kelvin is not just a musician, he’s super smart too. He also plays the cello, piano and saxophone.

He also speaks fluent Chinese & Spanish.

http://www.metroparrot.net/2015/02/photos-first-nigerian-to-win-grammy.html
He isnt d 1st ok. Shade adu & seal have won b4.
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Eljay24(m): 11:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
Ehn" and Na for my backyard wey deez guys dem start ooo . .. Eiya !!
I almost nearly joined them then, grin grin
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by sanmibukunmi: 11:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
Rocktation:
Good one, Kelvin. I did enjoy his arrangement and all in this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_MGWio-vc#
damn these guys are good.....
gonna download all their videos
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by Eljay24(m): 11:11pm On Feb 10, 2015
funmilayoB:
why is it that yoruba musicians get grammy nomination
anytime we r nominated? does that means we r better
than d others?
1 Sade Adu
2 Wale
3 Tiwa salvage
4 Asa
5 Nas
6 Femi kuti
7 Olando julius
8 Fela kuti
9 Oluwole olusola
10 Tunde (Lighthouse family)
11 Seal
12 Angélique Kidjo
Among others
Thank god the igbos r coming up graduall

Maybe you should've stared in that new movie "Dumb and dumber" who knows u might have gotten Grammy for that !!
Re: Kelvin Olusola, Grammy Award First Nigerian Winner [Photo] by UncleJudax(m): 11:11pm On Feb 10, 2015
Aida13:

You're the joker here, happy to argue for the sake of it. He was born of a Nigerian father. What part of that don't you understand?? Sheesh

His surname, parentage says it all but like some unenlightened ones out there, you'd rather blind and deafen yourself. He was born of a Nigerian father. I don't even have to know where his mother was from. This makes him of NIGERIAN ORIGIN whether he's American by situation and birth. In conclusion: Of Nigerian Origin=============Nigerian. F U C K !!!!
I hope you towed this line during the Michael 'Adebolajo' (the terrorist) case?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nadia Buari And Sister Flaunt Bikini Bodies / Chikezie Uwazie Dies In US / I Go Dye Poses In The House Built For His Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.