Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:42 AM

My Question At A Conference Shifted Attention To African Education - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Question At A Conference Shifted Attention To African Education (404 Views)

Best Answer To This Question At ATM Point. "Are You The Last Person"? / Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi / Entrance Interview Test 2015 To Unity Schools Now Shifted To June 13 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Question At A Conference Shifted Attention To African Education by bilms(m): 12:30am On Feb 12, 2015
Olanike Adexa
At the conference today, I asked a question on why many UK universities have partnerships with Middle Eastern and South Asian countries but not African universities even though we have over 100,000 African students every year in the UK.

As the only black African in the hall, it seemed as though I jacked everyone out of slumber as the second half of the event significantly addressed developing higher education and partnerships in Africa. It was almost like African countries are not part of the advancement agendas up until that point.
Within minutes, everyone paid Ola attention, from the president of the Association of Commonwealth Universities to the chair Rt Hon Charles Clarke, a former UK higher education minister to the academics and more importantly, they knew that Africa should not just be a cash cow but a land of great potentials and investments.

Needless to say, a few university officials spoke to me of an interest in exploring the African countries for partner campuses. I just imagine if no black African was at the event or refused to speak up.

From today's conference, a communique and report, focusing on partnerships in African higher education citadels will be going to the Commonwealth office and Sec-General's office. The UK government office for foreign affairs will be involved too.

This shows that Africans need to be present at round table conferences and debates when the rest of the world converges. To say that I was surprised at the way my simple comment shifted the conversations is an understatement.

Our show of faces should not only be at "Owambe" sprees and "what-is-in-it-for-me" fora. We should invest in attending events,even by dipping hands into our pockets for the future of Africa does not lie in the hands of the west but ably in our hands and mouths.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question At A Conference Shifted Attention To African Education by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 12:51am On Feb 12, 2015
Hmm. Was it a UKEAS conference? I've always wanted to attend one, bt ehm, ehm...no excuse.

It may be due to home policies. Many atimes our governments don't think of things like this. Many just open our borders for them to come and invest. And investing in education won't yield grt returns, so the neglect. If we need partnership, we ave to ask for it.

I was reading news some months ago and I came across one saying FG increased the tariff on imported books, and far above what was agreed at UNESCO blah blah. I tink tht's Punch news. So u see such hostility....
Re: My Question At A Conference Shifted Attention To African Education by bilms(m): 3:33am On Feb 12, 2015
cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Romours Of Another ASUU Strike / UTME 2015 Starts Today / Dot Net Online Training And Placement In Usa-attend Free DEMO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.