Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,167 members, 7,821,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Monaisa, S-african Consul Gen Said More Nigerians Come For Visa Due To Elections - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Monaisa, S-african Consul Gen Said More Nigerians Come For Visa Due To Elections (925 Views)

Agent Demanding N1.3M For Visa To Spain / Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general / 7000 Nigerians Are Schooling In The US - Consul General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monaisa, S-african Consul Gen Said More Nigerians Come For Visa Due To Elections by Safecozzy: 8:23am On Feb 12, 2015
The Republic of South Africa High Commission’s Consul General, Ambassador Amb. Mokgethi Monaisa has expressed the need for a violence-free and credible elections come February 14, 2015 in Nigeria.

The Consul General said he expects a display of togetherness among nationals, before, during and after the elections, concluding that Nigerians and the aspirants should uphold the values for which the country is known for and avoid any form of violence, intimidation or overbearing interferences to their choice in the forthcoming polls.

He also stated that Nigerians have a lot to do towards sustainable democratic rules, saying that it is imperative for Nigeria nationals to fully support democratic principles by not allowing themselves used as tools to generating unfair elections.

In this exclusive interview, Ambassador Monaisa also shared his thoughts on investments in Nigeria and South Africa, the similarities, and other issues. Excerpts:

By Vera Anyagafu, Prisca Duru &Victor Gotevbe

WHAT do you hope to see in Nigeria’s forthcoming elections?

Although, this would be the first elections I would be witnessing in Nigeria, I hope to see violent-free elections. I cannot say much on this election, because I do not know how elections are handled here, but I do hear that so many companies are sending their people out and more Nigerians who come to apply for visa also want to run out in panic, but this should not be the case. Normally, in so many countries people are eager to go and vote. In my country for instance, people jubilate during elections. People are always eager because you have the right to vote who you want. But here, I do not know if Nigerians themselves are afraid of the elections day.

Yet, I want to see people going to elect a person they want and they must be eager to do it. They must not be afraid to do it. They must not be intimidated into doing the things they would not want to do. They must have that freedom. We talked about the right to elect and that right goes with the freedom to choose who you want to be your leader. It is democracy. Nigeria has gone through many years of coups and democracy was ushered in 15 years ago, and it is important to sustain that democracy.

Sustenance of democracy

If you look at Nigeria, there is no way Nigeria would change from its current democracy status. Nigerians cannot even dream of letting go. We must see that whoever wins the polls is the person of their choice, people of their choice. We must see people rejoicing, people parting, celebrating the day they go to the polls to elect that leader they want. That is the kind of mood we want.

Since the exit of Nelson Mandela, do you see a leader emerging from South Africa possessing similar values as Nelson Mandela?

I am hopeful that we have leaders who carry similar values as Nelson Mandela. South Africa is a country that is rich with lots of leadership material within their ruling parties. And as you rightly pointed out, it might not be an identical twin of Nelson Mandela, but there would be a leader with great values also. I should also point out here that after Nelson Mandela, there was Thabo Mbeki. Thabo Mbeki was not a replica of Nelson Mandela, but he was good too. I hope that my country would continue to have such leaders, who are eager for a prosperous South Africa and her citizens.

How strong is South Africa partnership with Nigeria?

Our partnership is very strong and tight too and this is evidenced by our investment in Nigeria. There are so many South African companies that invested in Nigeria and a few of them that people know are Shop-rite, MTN, Multi-choice, South African airways, Stanbic, The Federal Palace Hotel, Protea Hotels, Southern Sun, Wheat-baker, and several others. South Africa has roughly over hundred companies doing business in Nigeria, and this prompted our government decision to establish a Consulate General here in Lagos. Obviously a consulate general mandate would then be to look after the citizens of South Africa and also protect their interests here in Nigeria. Previously, the office here was part of the High Commission in Abuja, and then the government decided to upgrade our presence here in Lagos.

Source
http://www.safecozzy.com/news/monaisa-s-african-consul-gen-said-more-nigerians-come-for-visa-due-to-elections/

Re: Monaisa, S-african Consul Gen Said More Nigerians Come For Visa Due To Elections by tdayof(m): 8:42am On Feb 12, 2015
Why are they running away undecided
Re: Monaisa, S-african Consul Gen Said More Nigerians Come For Visa Due To Elections by AmakaDNB(f): 8:48am On Feb 12, 2015
Let dem keep running away. Who will now vote?
Re: Monaisa, S-african Consul Gen Said More Nigerians Come For Visa Due To Elections by worry359(m): 9:17am On Feb 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:
Let dem keep running away. Who will now vote?

In the north they are registering children to build up the numbers.
Soon it will be goats or cattle being registered!
Re: Monaisa, S-african Consul Gen Said More Nigerians Come For Visa Due To Elections by uzhi(m): 11:41am On Feb 12, 2015
Kindly post a scene picture to support your claim. Partisan politics cant take us any where.
(quote author=worry359 post=30654780]

Soon it will be goats or cattle being registered![/quote]

1 Like

Re: Monaisa, S-african Consul Gen Said More Nigerians Come For Visa Due To Elections by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 12, 2015
worry359:

Soon it will be goats or cattle being registered!

Chai,nigga u dey make me laugh, goats and cattle cannot vote, they are mean't for the pot of soup.... grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: A Plane Carrying 142 Passengers Has Crashed In France / Six Nigerian Women Volunteer to Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro for IDPs in Nigeria / Explore Port Harcourt, Nigeria’s Garden City!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.