Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? (3267 Views)

Wife Of Zambia Man Who Is A Maid To Chinese Man Delivers Asian-looking Baby (pic / “I Married My Boyfriend Who Infected Me With HIV Because I Love Him” —woman Says / Pictures Of Lady Who Brought Her Maid To Fan Her In Salon Go Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by tbaba1234: 1:01pm On Feb 12, 2015
Recently, a close friend of mine told me that her sister's maid was discovered to be HIV positive and fired as a result.

Personally, I thought, it was unfair because the risk of transmitting the virus through her job is really low. Besides, she was working with them before they found out.

Would you fire a maid with HIV?
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Mimienudles(f): 1:03pm On Feb 12, 2015
Yes but harmlessly
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by tbaba1234: 1:07pm On Feb 12, 2015
Mimienudles:
Yes but harmlessly

Why?

The lady finds out that she is HIV positive and also loses her job..
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 12, 2015
hard decision..i must say...

if i will do such...it must be in an understanding way..

and letting here know the risk involved in it...

and if....i had dat much....i will set up a business for him/her to keep body and soul together....

i hate being someone's source of sadness!!!...
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Mimienudles(f): 1:21pm On Feb 12, 2015
tbaba1234:

Why?

The lady finds out that she is HIV positive and also loses her job..
She's a maid, at home I believe, doing house chores, handling sharp objects like knife, blade, needle, etc, with kids to care for, anything can happen. Prevention is better, and like I said, harmlessly
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Babe2sure(f): 1:40pm On Feb 12, 2015
Yes, I would.
But on compassionate ground. As in, I will be sympathetic to her, based on her condition and help her financially either by setting up business for her or in any other way i could render assistance to her, to lessen her burden.

OP, I don't get you, why did you say the risk of infecting others is low? How can it be low? Someone that would cook, take care of the children and do other jobs around the house?

That risk should not be taken. Not now, not ever!

1 Like

Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by flyca: 1:46pm On Feb 12, 2015
At once!

In fact, they should undergo blood screening before they are hired.
OP don't be deceived, some of them are on a mission!
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by bukatyne(f): 1:50pm On Feb 12, 2015
Yes

Immediately and politely

1 Like

Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Vyolet(f): 1:52pm On Feb 12, 2015
I will sack her for the sake of the kids,if I can be careful around her,the kids would never know how to be careful.

Moreover,everyone in the house would be screened esp the kids to know if she has not infected anyone unintentionally.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by tbaba1234: 2:29pm On Feb 12, 2015
Babe2sure:

OP, I don't get you, why did you say the risk of infecting others is low? How can it be low? Someone that would cook, take care of the children and do other jobs around the house?

That risk should not be taken. Not now, not ever!

Those duties do not transmit the virus.. Cooking, taking care or even giving a child the occasional peck does not transmit the virus.

As long as they are not sharing needles or breastfeeding. The chances are really low.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Babe2sure(f): 4:29pm On Feb 12, 2015
tbaba1234:

Those duties do not transmit the virus.. Cooking, taking care or even giving a child the occasional peck does not transmit the virus.

As long as they are not sharing needles or breastfeeding. The chances are really low.

The fact is, the risk is not worth taking.
She can mistakenly cut her hand at the kitchen or get wounded and infect ones child. Some may even do it intentionally, if they are angrry with the boss. You never can tell the evil they are up to.
So the risk is high, very very high.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by JustCurious: 7:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Feb 12, 2015
No, I wouldn't. Why should I?
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by bennyrazz: 7:28pm On Feb 12, 2015
anyone that tells you he/she would retain an HIV positive housemaid is a big fat liar. Most Nigerians are guilty of discrimination
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by greatgod2012(f): 7:40pm On Feb 12, 2015
carefreewannabe:
No, I wouldn't. Why should I?

what if you have very young kids who are yet to learn how to be careful.

@op, yes, like somene said, immediately and politely. And even with additional fund that he/she can use to take care of himself.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Feb 12, 2015
greatgod2012:

what if you have very young kids who are yet to learn how to be careful.

@op, yes, like somene said, immediately and politely. And even with additional fund that he/she can use to take care of himself.

Do you know how HIV is transmitted?
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by greatgod2012(f): 8:10pm On Feb 12, 2015
carefreewannabe:

Do you know how HIV is transmitted?

yes!
On one side, we all know that it might not be his/her fault that she got infected, infact, she may not even know s/he's infected until his/her boss ran the test. That is a fact!

On the other hand, a maid, to my own knowledge is someone who helps in the domestic chores like cooking, cleaning, washing and sometimes, babysitting. And knowing that domestic accident/s may happen at any time which may involve the very young kids who might be too young to be careful around her. It's not a risk worth undertaking, especially where young kids are. Infact, it's better to run all testable tests on anyone to be employed as maid so as to avoid situations like this.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
greatgod2012:

yes!
On one side, we all know that it might not be his/her fault that she got infected, infact, she may not even know s/he's infected until his/her boss ran the test. That is a fact!

On the other hand, a maid, to my own knowledge is someone who helps in the domestic chores like cooking, cleaning, washing and sometimes, babysitting. And knowing that domestic accident/s may happen at any time which may involve the very young kids who might be too young to be careful around her. It's not a risk worth undertaking, especially where young kids are. Infact, it's better to run all testable tests on anyone to be employed as maid so as to avoid situations like this.

Explain to me how a domestic accident can give you an infection.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Miami11: 8:29pm On Feb 12, 2015
I have been treated with a white doctor in New York that apparently has been living with HIV for 20years.
If I could not fire my doctor am not firing my maid.
This is 2015 Aids has come out of age.
Ignorance is what is killing Africa as a continent.

1 Like

Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by greatgod2012(f): 8:31pm On Feb 12, 2015
carefreewannabe:

Explain to me how a domestic accident can give you an infection.

i no dey argue abeg....... cheesy

We are talking about HIV/AIDS, not just infection that can be cured with antibiotics o.
~A domestic worker will need to use knives, he can get him/her self cut, and the kids might want to show sympathy by going close/r to him.
~A domestic worker might need to make use of other sharp objects and might get accident through it.
~A domestic worker might have already sustained injury which might be bleeding while handling the kids, though, unconciously and coincidentally, the kid too might also have open wound.
~We all know kids are very funny, a kid can bite the domestic worker if he/she is provoked.

Infact, so many ways.

Please, don't get me wrong, if kids are not involved, or the job does not have anything to do with kids, there's no cause to dismiss the maid, but where kids are involved, i, personally think it is the best decison to make but politely and with financial empowerment granted to him/her.

1 Like

Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by greatgod2012(f): 8:39pm On Feb 12, 2015
Miami11:
I have been treated with a white doctor in New York that apparently has been living with HIV for 20years.
If I could not fire my doctor am not firing my maid.
This is 2015 Aids has come out of age.
Ignorance is what is killing Africa as a continent.

your doctor is an adult, you are also an adult.

If there's no very young children where the maid is working, there's no need to sack him/her. An adult knows the right thing to do, but kids may not.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 12, 2015
greatgod2012:

i no dey argue abeg....... cheesy

There is no argument. We are only discussing a very important topic and sharing our views.

We are talking about HIV/AIDS, not just infection that can be cured with antibiotics o.

I am aware.

~A domestic worker will need to use knives, he can get him/her self cut, and the kids might want to show sympathy by going close/r to him.

No risk here.

~A domestic worker might need to make use of other sharp objects and might get accident through it.

So?

~A domestic worker might have already sustained injury which might be bleeding while handling the kids, though, unconciously and coincidentally, the kid too might also have open wound.

How high are chances the two will have an open wound at the same time and exchange body fluids by rubbing these wounds against each other?

~We all know kids are very funny, a kid can bite the domestic worker if he/she is provoked.

Do you know that you can even kiss an HIV infected person?

Infact, so many ways.

Most of the scenarios you have described show that you don't even know how HIV is transmitted.
Even if your maid cuts her finger when cooking, you cannot get infected.

Please, don't get me wrong, if kids are not involved, or the job does not have anything to do with kids, there's no cause to dismiss the maid, but where kids are involved, i, personally think it is the best decison to make but politely and with financial empowerment granted to him/her.

I understand and respect that.

1 Like

Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by tbaba1234: 9:25pm On Feb 12, 2015
If the maid cuts herself with a knife, you can't be infected that way.

1 Like

Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by YourCoffin: 10:39pm On Feb 12, 2015
No, I won't fire her. I just won't employ her.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by kendraloops(f): 11:27pm On Feb 12, 2015
Sharpaly!! I can support her any other way but to work as a maid in my house, no please.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Miami11: 11:33pm On Feb 12, 2015
greatgod2012:

your doctor is an adult, you are also an adult.

If there's no very young children where the maid is working, there's no need to sack him/her. An adult knows the right thing to do, but kids may not.
I once took my son at 8 months to a daycare that had kids with HIV, they never told me which kid had what, it was a special needs Daycare with kids with anything from down syndrome, autistic and such. My son never contracted anything.
Alds is not Ebola. Learn how it transmits and and make an educated wise decision.
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Miami11: 11:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
So what if you have a maid that has not been diagnosed and she is a carrier which means she can live ten plus years without showing any signs.
I rest my case
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by KanwuliaJara: 12:10am On Feb 13, 2015
Nope! kiss
We had one. She left on her own accord when everyone got to know.
She kept falling ill and losing weight. No matter what we did. . .she NEVER GOT WELL.
She was suspected to have AIDS and we ordered an HIV test.
Not in this day and age.
Utter ignorance! kiss

Did she create the disease? undecided
I'd rather fire the 'GOD' that created it.
I did! No more RELIGION like CHRISTIANITY in my life!
For I do not worship IMPOTENT 'GODS'! kiss
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by Miami11: 2:11am On Feb 13, 2015
,for all ignorant people do you know the status of whoever cooks for your kids in school?
How about.restaurants, please knock it off disgusting
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by OmoAlata1(f): 2:27am On Feb 13, 2015
that is a dicey situation. if you eat out in public whether street food or restaurants. you don't even know the status of the person who cooks the food. what about where you buy butcher meat with sharp sharp knives everywhere and "animal blood"
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by thorpido(m): 6:17am On Feb 13, 2015
I will say yes.
The reason is the kids in the house and her level of education.She will handle sharp objects around the house and she may not be careful enough with those things.
To those saying no,what if she uses a blade and that same blade is picked up by someone?
Re: Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? by tpiar: 6:22am On Feb 13, 2015
tbaba1234:
Recently, a close friend of mine told me that her sister's maid was discovered to be HIV positive and fired as a result.

Personally, I thought, it was unfair because the risk of transmitting the virus through her job is really low. Besides, she was working with them before they found out.

Would you fire a maid with HIV?

why/what are you asking people?

lord have mercy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Family Is In Shambles Because Of An Ex-boy Friend / gh / What To Do If You Are Married To A Melancholic Husband Or Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.