Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,928 members, 7,952,736 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:34 PM

UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. (1170 Views)

FUTO Students To Resume After 3 Months + At Home / The Shortest And The Most Popular Guy In UNIJOS (Photo) / Uniben Student Protest For Speed Breaker And Flyover After Student Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by obiZEAL(m): 8:08pm On Feb 13, 2015
On monday, 24th November 2014 students of University of Jos went on apeaceful protest to demand the removal of the #10,000 developemental levy and a review of some unjustifiable charges by the school management, but the peaceful protest took another dimension when officers of the Nigerian army opened fire on protesting students on the second day of the protest which led to the indefinite closure of the institution.
The senate, in a communique made available to the students, announced the resumption of the institution on the 23rd of February 2015, with some rather unfair conditions.
The communique is thus;
UNIVERSITY OF JOS, JOS, NIGERIA
(OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR)
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT
RESUMPTION OF ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
The University of Jos Management
announces the resumption of the University
for academic activities on Monday 23rd
February, 2015. Consequently, the Second
Semester Examinations which was disrupted
by the Students’ demonstration of 24th and
25th November, 2014, will commence on
Monday 23rd February, 2015.
In accordance with the directive of Senate,
the Hostels and Halls of Residence will be re-
opened on Saturday 21st February, 2015.
However, only Students who have complied
with the conditions approved by Senate
below will be allowed access into the Hostels
and Halls of Residence or be eligible to sit for
the Second Semester Examinations.
Among these conditions are:
1. That all returning students must pay the
sum of Twelve thousand Naira (N12,000.00)
each online via https://mis.unijos.edu/fees
and select “Surcharges”, which is to cover
cost of damages and other expenses
incurred by the University as a result of the
demonstration.
2. That all returning students must sign an
undertaking under Oath to be of good
behavior during their remaining period as
students of the University. This Form which
can be accessed via www.unijos.edu.ng,
should be completed and signed before a
Commissioner of Oath in a competent Court
of Law.
Students entitled to Hostel Accommodation
and who have fulfilled the above conditions
may check-in as from Saturday 21st
February, 2015.
Second Semester Examinations will
commence on Monday 23rd February 2015.
All Students are, therefore, advised to take
note and comply appropriately.
Signed:
Jilli-Dandam, D. ESQ.
Registrar/Secretary to Senate
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by buygala(m): 8:23pm On Feb 13, 2015
The Futility of Aluta embarked on senselessly.. undecided

Jos on a normal day, a very volatile area.. na im students carry their own come on top say dem increase school fees... protesting and blocking roads, raising tension in an already tense atmosphere undecided

Now, some students have been shot dead, time has been wasted, the school fees hasn't been reduced, the SUG suspended indefinitely, and now the students have to pay damages too for destruction of school property angry

WHO LOST NOW... THE SCHOOL AUTHORITIES OR THE STUDENTS? undecided
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by obiZEAL(m): 8:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
This is the list of demands made by the students that led to the peaceful protest on 24th of November Last year which consequently led to the closure of the institution;

1. The removal of 10,000 development levy
2. The exams date slated for 24th
November should be extended to enable
lecturers cover up their syllables and dept to
release their results which are still pending
3. The unification and review of computer
based test and info and comm tech levies.
4. The removal of 10,000 as late registration
5. The removal of dept levy on the school
receipt
6. The review of 25,000 acceptance fee for
new student
7. Reduction of hostel accommodation fee
8. Financial autonomy of the SUG
9. Immediate release of the student union
secretariat at Naraguta
Hostel
10. The immediate release and functioning
of school buses
11. The removal of school fees pay by 300L
French student upon return from
immersion.
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by Bruno3000(m): 8:30pm On Feb 13, 2015
Stupid set of people. I would hv been a graduate now... angry very senseless group of individuals.
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by obiZEAL(m): 8:34pm On Feb 13, 2015
This is what we get after we stood by them during their strike/protest in 2013.
This is gross injustice...
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by obiZEAL(m): 8:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
buygala:
The Futility of Aluta embarked on senselessly.. undecided

Jos on a normal day, a very volatile area.. na im students carry their own come on top say dem increase school fees... protesting and blocking roads, raising tension in an already tense atmosphere undecided

Now, some students have been shot dead, time has been wasted, the school fees hasn't been reduced, the SUG suspended indefinitely, and now the students have to pay damages too for destruction of school property angry

WHO LOST NOW... THE SCHOOL AUTHORITIES OR THE STUDENTS? undecided
The students won!
Its a moral victory!
Because jos is volatile does not mean we will keep quiet in the face of injustice and oppression...that's why we went on a PEACEFUL protest to make our voice heard, but what did we get in return?...a full scale war against the Nigerian army who's services would av been appreciated in sambisa.
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by obiZEAL(m): 8:45pm On Feb 13, 2015
Bruno3000:
Stupid set of people. I would hv been a graduate now... angry very senseless group of individuals.
My most sincere apology fellow JOSSITE, but posterity will put us on the bad side of history if we don't act selflessly...
Me seff for dey my Final year...we have to sacrifice.
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by obiZEAL(m): 8:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
Cc: Fynestboi, Olawalebabs, Richiez
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by buygala(m): 9:01pm On Feb 13, 2015
obiZEAL:

The students won!
Its a moral victory!
Because jos is volatile does not mean we will keep quiet in the face of injustice and oppression...that's why we went on a PEACEFUL protest to make our voice heard, but what did we get in return?...a full scale war against the Nigerian army who's services would av been appreciated in sambisa.

moral victory? .... What's that?

You protested, soldiers warned you guys to disperse before things boil over, you guys refused, some of you were shot dead.. The others ran away to their mummies with their tails between their legs... What 'Victory' are you now talking about?
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by obiZEAL(m): 9:37pm On Feb 13, 2015
buygala:

moral victory? .... What's that?

You protested, soldiers warned you guys to disperse before things boil over, you guys refused, some of you were shot dead.. The others ran away to their mummies with their tails between their legs... What 'Victory' are you now talking about?
It will be know that we stood up for what we believed in...that's where the victory lies...
Re: UNIJOS To Resume After Last Year's Student's Protest, SUG Suspended. by Bruno3000(m): 1:36pm On Feb 14, 2015
obiZEAL:

My most sincere apology fellow JOSSITE, but posterity will put us on the bad side of history if we don't act selflessly...
Me seff for dey my Final year...we have to sacrifice.
I'm making reference to the sch authority... They should hv made frantic effort to resolve d looming crises.

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Anyone! I Don't Know How To Get To My Exam Center. / UNN 2015/2016 Admission Assistance In the Second Batch List; 08068652229 / See Delta State Polytechnics DSPZ River, What A Shame To The State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.