Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,551 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Who Is God To You? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is God To You? (1857 Views)

Is It Impossible For God To Grow Back Amputated Limbs? / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Ways To Get God To Answer Your Prayers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is God To You? by piplord1(m): 11:54pm On Jan 04, 2009
WHO IS God TO YOU? ARE YOU A BELIEVER OR AN ATHEIST?
Re: Who Is God To You? by duduspace(m): 12:08am On Jan 05, 2009
If your intention is to carry out a census of beleivers vs Atheists, I can assure you before you start that the beleivers will win by a large majority.
That is one of the main reasons why Nigeria is in such a poor state.
Re: Who Is God To You? by huxley(m): 12:36am On Jan 05, 2009
pip lord:

WHO IS [b]God [/b]TO YOU? ARE YOU A BELIEVER OR AN ATHEIST?

Good questions. For me, I don't know. Who is he/she/it? And how do you come to know about God? What are he/she/it's attributes?
Re: Who Is God To You? by SeanT21(f): 5:32am On Jan 05, 2009
God is the alpha and the omega.The beginning and the end~~
Re: Who Is God To You? by Lady2(f): 6:11am On Jan 05, 2009
duduspace:

If your intention is to carry out a census of beleivers vs Atheists, I can assure you before you start that the beleivers will win by a large majority.
That is one of the main reasons why Nigeria is in such a poor state.

Is that the reason why the U.S. and the rest of the G8 are in such a poor state?

@Post

God is love
Re: Who Is God To You? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 05, 2009
SeanT21:

God is the alpha and the omega.The beginning and the end~~
Say's who?

Nobody knows who/what god is or if he/she/it exists. So I have no idea.

~Lady~:

Is that the reason why the US. and the rest of the G8 are in such a poor state?

@Post

God is love

Don't derail the thread by comparing the US to Nigeria. Please!!!!
Re: Who Is God To You? by kemisuga(f): 11:50am On Jan 05, 2009
WHAT
A
QUESTION. embarassed
Re: Who Is God To You? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 05, 2009
kemisuga:

WHAT
A
QUESTION. embarassed

What's wrong with the question?
Re: Who Is God To You? by mazaje(m): 2:50pm On Jan 05, 2009
~Lady~:

@Post

God is love

what kind of love? sending she bears to kill 42 children or killing 1 million ethopians? is it advocating slavery or commanding moses and co to stone a person to death for picking sticks on a sabbth equals love. does infecting a king with leprosy for buring incense in a place displeasing to you amounts to love? or is trying to kill you best friend the perfect defination of love. love indeed.
Re: Who Is God To You? by Recognise: 10:49pm On Jan 05, 2009
deleted
Re: Who Is God To You? by Recognise: 11:04pm On Jan 05, 2009
deleted
Re: Who Is God To You? by Lady2(f): 7:27am On Jan 06, 2009
Don't derail  the thread by comparing the US to Nigeria. Please!!!!

I am not by any means trying to derail the topic, I just want duduspace to rationalize before typing. He mentioned that religion or believers is one of the main reasons why Nigeria is in the state it is in, and I am asking how so when the US is also very much as religious and not in the state Nigeria is in.
People want to blame religion for anything because it is an easy target.

It baffles me when so called rationalists can't rationalize
Re: Who Is God To You? by manmustwac(m): 10:01pm On Jan 06, 2009
God to me is an imaginary man who lives in am imaginary place called Heaven and if you just happen to be among the majority that believes He exists then he only exists in your imagination
Re: Who Is God To You? by Magz(m): 11:08pm On Jan 06, 2009
God is CREATION. The UNIVERSE, SCIENCE, LOVE, WEALTH, GOODNESS, POSITIVE ENERGY, [b]EVERYTHING.

God is existence, God is our very being. It is beyond human comprehension.

We cannot ever fully understand God, for we did not create God. God created US. So us understanding God is like a cellphone understanding a man. The phone cannot understand or describe man, because it did not make man; man made the phone.

Do you see what I am getting at here??[/b][color=Black][/color]
Re: Who Is God To You? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:22pm On Jan 06, 2009
Nothing
Re: Who Is God To You? by Magz(m): 1:59am On Jan 07, 2009
~Lady~:

I am not by any means trying to derail the topic, I just want duduspace to rationalize before typing. He mentioned that religion or believers is one of the main reasons why Nigeria is in the state it is in, and I am asking how so when the US is also very much as religious and not in the state Nigeria is in.

You asked how, and the way is this: Religion poses what we call a false dilemma. It causes us to feel like we are so different, when we are really very much the same. It can cause us to feel a need to justify our own religion against that of others. For instance: Jews fighting against Muslims currently in the Gaza strip. Now, we can definately agree that what these fights boils down to is religious tensions. But, these people are fighting over religion and when they could spend valuable time focusing on some other more important issue. Do they not all worship God?? Isn't God All-knowing, all-seeing and universal? What then is there to debate, or divide amongst ourselves about??

Like, wether a Nigerian is a Christian, a Muslim, or a so-called Animist, is he not still a Nigerian

So then, could we say that a more solid, more unified and religiously un-biased Nigeria would be a much stronger one?? As the genius Pan-Africanist and Human Rights Activist Hel-hajj Malik El-Shabazz (bka Malcolm X) said,  In order for African peoples (home and abroad) to ever reach our full strength as a people, we have to put our religious differences aside. We must think and intereact as Africans first and foremost.

Pretty much, I can sum it up like this,

Man is God-made, but Religion is Man-made. What I do, as a Rasta, is skip past the religion part, and I seek God directly. God is already in our hearts and minds upon birth, and we do not need a religion or anything to define Him to us. We know right and wrong already,
Re: Who Is God To You? by Ascony(m): 2:23am On Jan 07, 2009
God (as d poster might be insinuating)is the hero of one ancient story book called the bible
Re: Who Is God To You? by angelina08(f): 4:01pm On Jan 08, 2009
God is the creactor of heaven and earth, His is the God Almight.
Re: Who Is God To You? by manmustwac(m): 12:49am On Jan 12, 2009
angelina08:

God is the creactor of heaven and earth, His is the God Almight.
Do you have any evidence to prove that He created Heaven and Earth and that He is the God Almighty?
Re: Who Is God To You? by Magz(m): 3:41am On Jan 12, 2009
manmustwac:

Do you have any evidence to prove that He created Heaven and Earth and that He is the God Almighty?

The proof is in the existence of Earth itself. Earth had to come from somewhere, Some people call God "The Big Bang Theory". These ideas are all right. God is creation.
Re: Who Is God To You? by Ascony(m): 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2009
Earth had to come from somewhere,

oh yeah! so what was here b4 earth came?
Re: Who Is God To You? by bindex(m): 7:36pm On Jan 13, 2009
Ascony:

oh yeah! so what was here before earth came?

Angels and the bible/koranic Gods. grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Is God To You? by duduspace(m): 2:36am On Jan 14, 2009
~Lady~:

I see hackles are raised for yet another argument m'dear wink

Is the US really as religious as Nigeria? I seriously doubt that but we can agree to disagree until someone can produce a statistical breakdown of weekly/daily place of worship attendance in comparison to Nigeria. You might also want to check out this report in yahoo about religious beliefs in the US.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090114/ts_csm/atheology;_ylt=AnObekVGmjJigUofpgscAkxg.3QA
in summary, I would say that it implies that each person is now creating and defining their own God after serious flaws have appeared in mainstream christianity.

I find this statement very interesting "More than half of all Christians also believe that some non-Christians can get into heaven." as this really can't be true if the God of the bible exists.

Besides, we all see the damage which Dubya's religion rhetorical undertones have done to the world view of the US hence one of the things that made Obama a much preferred choice to the conservative elements in McCain's campaign.

One more thing, I didn't say it was the only reason but it is definitely one of the main reasons, what you have not considered is that an attribute which could be helpful in some instances could in other instances be very harmful. Despite the obvious failings of religion, there wouldn't be much problems if everyone in the whole world was of one religion would there?

The States I know used to be predominantly christian and most of the initial immigrants were mostly persecuted or in some kind of distress where they came from and wouldn't generally want to cause trouble in the safe haven they found. The mass influx of people of other religions has however led to the increasing separation of church and state.
Re: Who Is God To You? by rubi(f): 2:41am On Jan 14, 2009
God is the one who holds the whole world in his hands
Re: Who Is God To You? by Ascony(m): 10:42am On Jan 14, 2009
oh yeah! so what was here before earth came?

Angels and the bible/koranic Gods. Grin Grin Grin Grin

good answer, before them nko?

God is the one who holds the whole world in his hands

and where is he standing while holding the whole world in his hands?, abi hand no dey pain am too? grin
Re: Who Is God To You? by tayoast(m): 6:40pm On Jan 14, 2009
The Sole Giver of Life and a FRIEND.
Re: Who Is God To You? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 3:41am On Jan 15, 2009
im the God of mylife!,pls stop disturbing me with useless Question angry. not until you descover your path,never shall you understand the meaning of yourself and this world
Re: Who Is God To You? by FBS: 10:05am On Jan 16, 2009
god is everything to me. in him shall i trust
Re: Who Is God To You? by ufobabe(f): 10:42am On Jan 16, 2009
God is the God that had started before the starting started.
Re: Who Is God To You? by elsegulla: 5:49pm On Jan 17, 2009
God is the beginning and the end The one who shows grace to each and every one of us He wakes us up each moorning By his grace we move around in fact God is everything if you dont believe then tell me who wakes you up every morning gives you food gives you shelter and gives you hope
Re: Who Is God To You? by Nobody: 3:19am On Jan 18, 2009
God is not a being. If the existence have to be explained to me, it has to be a natural force not an angry being like the bible and Quran portrayed him to be. If you say God is a being and he created the world, then he him self have to be created. You can't say he came out of no where cause nothing comes out of nothing and nothing doesn't exist.
Re: Who Is God To You? by bawomolo(m): 7:56am On Jan 18, 2009
Is that the reason why the U.S. and the rest of the G8 are in such a poor state?

some of the most developed countries in the world are in a poor shape?

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Rapture "warning" Dream Early This Morning! / The True Religion / Challenge To TB Johsua, Pastor Chris, Oyedepo And Big Churches!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.