Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry (1885 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / ALL Pentecostals Should Read This / Why Do Pentecostals Reject Catholic Baptism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by Lady234: 3:00pm On Jan 02, 2010
Why do pentecostals like commiting idolatry.
Deuteronomy 5:8 says
   Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

But pentecostals usually have on their signboard an image of their pastor and his wife which is clearly a breaking of the 2nd commandment.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by KunleOshob(m): 7:07pm On Jan 02, 2010
@Poster
The sooner you realize that most pentecostal churches are just family businesses and not true churches the better. Then you would not be asking silly questions. Businesses are legitimately allowed to promote their brand image aren't they?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by Skidoc(m): 7:09pm On Jan 02, 2010
KunleOshob:

@Poster
The sooner you realize that most pentecostal churches are just family businesses and not true churches the better.

WORD. Gbam!
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by AKO1(m): 9:11pm On Jan 02, 2010
Lady 234:

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

You can say that to Catholics as well.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by viaro: 9:21pm On Jan 02, 2010
Lady 234:

But pentecostals usually have on their signboard an image of their pastor and his wife which is clearly a breaking of the 2nd commandment.

This does not apply to all pentecostals, and it is quite fundamentalist of you to make such broad generalizations about anybody.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by Image123(m): 9:25pm On Jan 02, 2010
While I'm not exactly for pictures of anyone on every d.ick and harry material, I'll say you're taking the Deuteronomy passage out of context. It talks about worship of GRAVEN images and its like. Putting a picture on a billboard is not exactly worship or idolatry. BTW, many will be quick to point fingers and insult the churches but when it comes to more salient issues, they'll begin to claim Christ has fulfilled the law. This is hypocrisy
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by noetic16(m): 10:37pm On Jan 02, 2010
Image123:

While I'm not exactly for pictures of anyone on every manliness and harry material, I'll say you're taking the Deuteronomy passage out of context. It talks about worship of GRAVEN images and its like. Putting a picture on a billboard is not exactly worship or idolatry. BTW, many will be quick to point fingers and insult the churches but when it comes to more salient issues, they'll begin to claim Christ has fulfilled the law. This is hypocrisy

GBAM!!!

Thou hast spoken well.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by Recognise: 11:34pm On Jan 02, 2010
Lady 234:

Why do pentecostals like commiting idolatry.

Deuteronomy 5:8 says

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image,
or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above,
or that is in the earth beneath,
or that is in the water under the earth

There are so many errors in pentecostal churches of which the above is one.

@ Post

Though a bit off tangent, in a weird and roundabout way, you're kinda right . . . (i.e. seemingly)

but then really, the rule of thumb recommended when attempting to expound the bible is to do it in context and not in verse.

Remember that verses were a latter addition to the bible (i.e. not inspired)

When Deuteronomy is read in context as in reading Deuteronomy 5:6-10

it is apparent in Deuteronomy 5:9 that the contention/concern is about not bowing down unto (i.e. worshipping) graven images nor serving them.

Deuteronomy 5:6-10 Contemporary English Version (CEV):

6I am the LORD your God, the one who brought you out of Egypt where you were slaves.

7Do not worship any god except me.

8Do not make idols that look like anything in the sky or on earth or in the ocean under the earth.

9Don't bow down and worship idols. I am the LORD your God, and I demand all your love. If you reject me and worship idols, I will punish your families for three or four generations.

10But if you love me and obey my laws, I will be kind to your families for thousands of generations.

11Do not misuse my name. I am the LORD your God, and I will punish anyone who misuses my name.

Footnote:

Deuteronomy 5:11 " . . . misuse my name": Probably includes breaking promises,
telling lies after swearing to tell the truth,
using the LORD's name as a curse word or a magic formula,
and trying to control the LORD by using his name.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by mamagee3(f): 11:58pm On Jan 02, 2010
Since when did pentecostals worship idols?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by donnie(m): 12:14am On Jan 03, 2010
A_K_O:

You can say that to Catholics as well.
. . . to the Pentecostals for their flying (abi perching) doves in the name of Holy Spirit
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by donnie(m): 12:41am On Jan 03, 2010
t's better to have a preachers face on a banner or logo rather than a dove. . . That's terrible.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Like Commiting Idolatry by Bella3(f): 12:38am On Jul 11, 2012
If the poster is catholic, then am ashamed...

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Europeans Persecuting Muslims? / Both Islamics And Christian Invited: What Do You Think Happens After We Die? / And The Professor Said "there's No God"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.