Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft (2586 Views)

Poll: Is this airline project a good business idea

Yes: 25% (1 vote)
No: 50% (2 votes)
It must fail as usual: 25% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” / Fayose's Son Tomiwa Purchases A Porsche (photo) / Jonathan Purchases Innoson Vehicles For Federal Road Safety Corps [Photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by earTHMama: 7:42am On Jan 05, 2009
Imo State govt floats airline, purchases three aircraft
From Charles Ogugbuaja, Owerri

Determined to widen the economic scope of Imo State, the state government has concluded plans to float a new airline. The state governor, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, disclosed this while briefing members of the public during year 2009 Stakeholders Meeting at the weekend. Named "Clean and Green", otherwise known as "Air Midwest Limited," he disclosed that three aircrafts have been purchased to kick start the operations from the Sam Mbakwe International Cargo Airport, Owerri, adding that government would work in partnership with other investors.

Ohakim said the state government was ready to take over the airport from the Federal Government without concession because the latter was not ready to improve the airport since its take over many years ago. Announcing that the airline would take off in February, Ohakim noted that the state government had floated an airline in the past, known as Airwest Limited."

The venture, he noted, would stimulate the economy of the state and provide jobs for the people. He said that the state government had applied to the Presidency to give back to the state the airport, because despite the huge amount of money the people of the state had invested to build the airport, no significant facilities were yet to be fixed in the area. The airport is one of the 21 airports in the country.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jan/4/13.html
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by meexteriox(m): 7:57am On Jan 05, 2009
Good plan, good thinking.
Would really go a long way in alleviating the problem presently faced with commutters on that route.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by chidichris(m): 9:08am On Jan 05, 2009
let us wait till february to say thank you for this thinking.
if this happens, it is going to be an out of nigeria programme.
God bless the idea.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by landis(m): 9:53am On Jan 05, 2009
meexteriox:

Good plan, good thinking.
Would really go a long way in alleviating the problem presently faced with commutters on that route.

bad plan, bad thinking.

Govt belongs to people and it changes hand every now and then.

This has already FAILED on arrival. Let him build good roads, schools, hospitals and rest will follow.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by KnowAll(m): 12:00pm On Jan 05, 2009
Why is the Fed Govt owning an airport sef, they already have there hands full with too many things, no wonder nothing gets done in the country. They should hand all airports to the state govts except Murtitala and abuja airport.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by deor03(m): 12:07pm On Jan 05, 2009
KnowAll:

Why is the Fed Govt owning an airport sef, they already have there hands full with too many things, no wonder nothing gets done in the country. They should hand all airports to the state govts except Murtitala and abuja airport.

Good thinking about airport ownership by the FG, but trust me. This is Nigeria, some people will start shouting marginalisation
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by otokx(m): 3:17pm On Jan 05, 2009
They should concentrate on the Lagos - Owerri route.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2009
I think its a good idea if it works

The Governor is trying to generate funds for the State.

This business of build roads, schools etc with allocations are not sustainable.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by hajifaty: 3:45pm On Jan 05, 2009
Lets wait and see the end of these ideas huh abi no be naija. grin
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On Jan 05, 2009
Idea seems a good one but giving that we are speaking of Nigeria here, with lots of history to show how plans like this may not be viable, I would rather the government invest in an already existing airline venture, rather than float it's own. With the history of mismanagement and corruption that plagues that country to date, I am not sure how government intends to ensure the success of this venture from administration to administration.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 05, 2009
Kobo invest Imo State money in VirginAtlantic or Nigeria Airways

how does that create job for Imo State people

This idea if well pursued will both generate funds and create jobs for Imo people

I wish Governor Ohakim will venture on State owned Refinery next.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Kobojunkie: 4:23pm On Jan 05, 2009
mikeansy:

Kobo invest Imo State money in VirginAtlantic or Nigeria Airways

how does that create job for Imo State people

This idea if well pursued will both generate funds and create jobs for Imo people

I wish Governor Ohakim will venture on State owned Refinery next.

Simple actually, the government can entice companies like any existing airline business or even start ups with investments, if they are willing to establish a branch of office in Imo state as well as hire a certain percentage of the local work force. Towns and cities do it here. It can work in Nigeria. I am not sure having Imo state own an airline, or refinery is really a good idea at this point. We have seen the continued level of ineptitude in the handling of simple daily needs of the people. Not sure I can trust the same to handle the running of a well maintained airline company. Note that the venture could yet again be another avenue through which public money is funneled into the pockets of corrupt persons in this deal.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Eziachi: 4:38pm On Jan 05, 2009
Taking over the airport? yes, very good idea, afterall the airport was built from scratch through our community effort only. But not so sure about airline, airline business is so competitive that its now a private run business all over the world.

Why not float the airline based on citizen/govt initiative, where govt owes 20 percent and every Imo citizen is allowed to by a share and have a direct stake in it? It will help check against running the airline down and minimized embezlement.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 05, 2009
with time it will be privatised and govt must show that they made profit as a result selling it off
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Kobojunkie: 5:00pm On Jan 05, 2009
mikeansy:

with time it will be privatised and govt must show that they made profit as a result selling it off

Isn't that a huge gamble to take? Do we have any strong indications that the government has been able to reduce the level of corruption that continues to plague states such as Imo state in Nigeria? What do we have as incentive to believe that this is not another white elephant project from the same government that has in the past sold the people so many of those? What guarantee do the people have that their money will not go to waste this time around, and that this project will not be sold to the rich corrupt men in the society ?
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 05, 2009
The biggest gamble is not to make attempt

Tell me one business man in the world who has never cut corners or exploited situations. Business is never black and white.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Jan 05, 2009
mikeansy:

The biggest gamble is not to make attempt

So you have somehow concluded that knowing full well that there is a high chance that this might turn into yet another tunnel through which we, once again loss billions to people we can not trust and people who have yet to prove they are willing to change their corrupt ways, the wisest thing for us to do is to give our money to the same old thieves, and expect that by some supernatural intervention, these thieves become saints this time around?

mikeansy:

Tell me one business man in the world who has never cut corners or exploited situations. Business is never black and white.

No one successful business man in the world makes foolish choices. He makes wise choices, and there is a reason why you research persons you are about to get into business with before you decide if the risk is worth it or not. Would you trust your money to a bank robber? Business can be black and white if you play by the rules and actually take sane steps as you deal. The global crash we are witnessing today is partly a result of people giving their money to thieves and crooks. Are you sure repeating this pattern in Imo state is the BUSINESS THING to do?
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by earTHMama: 5:35pm On Jan 05, 2009
I think its a good idea if it works

The Governor is trying to generate funds for the State.

This business of build roads, schools etc with allocations are not sustainable.

Tell me one govt managed parastatal in Nigeria that has ever done well?
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by osisi3(f): 5:41pm On Jan 05, 2009
Eziachi:

Taking over the airport? yes, very good idea, afterall the airport was built from scratch through our community effort only. But not so sure about airline, airline business is so competitive that its now a private run business all over the world.

Why not float the airline based on citizen/govt initiative, where govt owes 20 percent and every Imo citizen is allowed to by a share and have a direct stake in it? It will help check against running the airline down and minimized embezlement.

Exactly.
Imo is the only state where citizens singlehandedly built an airport and handed it over to the Federal Govt.
The Fed Govt has failed in that airport like in many others.
Let the great state of Imo take it over for a change.
Long live Imo state.
Long live alaigbo
Long live Nigeria
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by osisi3(f): 6:00pm On Jan 05, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Isn't that a huge gamble to take? Do we have any strong indications that the government has been able to reduce the level of corruption that continues to plague states such as Imo state in Nigeria? What do we have as incentive to believe that this is not another white elephant project from the same government that has in the past sold the people so many of those? What guarantee do the people have that their money will not go to waste this time around, and that this project will not be sold to the rich corrupt men in the society ?

Let them at least try.
Your own country has no national airline to boast of.
Any state that wants to embark in such ventures should go ahead
afterall they built the airport itself.
I read somewhere that Imo is the cleanest state in Nigeria so obviously someone is doing their job.
Guarantees ? shocked shocked shocked shocked
what guarantee do you have that the bridge you're driving on will not implode?
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by dani1luv: 6:05pm On Jan 05, 2009
what does guarantee gotz to do wit what u saying
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by earTHMama: 6:14pm On Jan 05, 2009
Imo is the only state where citizens singlehandedly built an airport and handed it over to the Federal Govt.
The Fed Govt has failed in that airport like in many others.

Who can verify this claim please?. I seriously doubt it.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by osisi3(f): 6:19pm On Jan 05, 2009
earTHMama:

Start with Osun grin
besides marrying Igbo wives,what else have you folks attained? tongue
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by Kobojunkie: 6:22pm On Jan 05, 2009
*osisi*:

Let them at least try.
Your own country has no national airline to boast of.

The country can boast of being one of the most corrupt in the globe. Why do I care if a country that has yet to tackle corruption can boast of a national airline? What good will owning a national airline do us, the people, when we have yet to deal with the base problem; a problem which robbed us of the last national airline?

*osisi*:

Any state that wants to embark in such ventures should go ahead
afterall they built the airport itself.

Never said States cannot embark on such ventures. My point remains clear on this. Why is the government confident that investing the people’s money in such a venture, with all the corruption issues that continues to exist, is a good idea? What guarantee does the state have to give the people that this will not end up like the many white elephant projects before it?

*osisi*:

I read somewhere that Imo is the cleanest state in Nigeria so obviously someone is doing their job.
Guarantees ? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Imo has been one of the, if not the cleanest state in Nigeria for a long time. This is not new and in no way speaks for the Imo government being the best in the country at handling the people’s money. If the way you measure the viability of a business is by how clean the environs are, then I say kudos and good luck.

*osisi*:

what guarantee do you have that the bridge you're driving on will not implode?

Actually, I do have the guarantee that whatever happens, I will not come out on the loosing end. Can you speak same of this deal as an Imo state citizen? This is the same government that has bungled so many projects in the past. Many simple ones too. What guarantee do we have that this time, they will actually manage the project and handle this the best way possible, pushing for the success of this all the way?
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by presido1: 6:23pm On Jan 05, 2009
Kobojunkie

Are u from Imo State? why are you so interested in anything concerning Igbo's. Am quite sure you will be praying for the failure of the Airline. Stop being a hypocrite we all know whats in you mind about Nigeria talkless of Igbo nation.

earTHMama:

Well u can doubt from now till time immemorial. Itz the Gospel truth. Am a living witness.
Nothing is too small for Imo airport was the slogan used to lure Imolites to make a donation toward the airport project. Irrespective of the fact that Chief S O Mbakwe was an opposition gov.His Govt still achieved it.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by debosky(m): 6:29pm On Jan 05, 2009
There are no 'guarantees' when it comes to a business venture - even the best planned ones can fail. All the people can seek for is transparent and above-board running of the airline with technical input from qualified partners. The incorporation of the airline by the state does not prevent them from getting someone like Arik or Aero Contractors (local airlines) or a foreign partner to bring technical/managerial input into the business.

The issue of corruption cannot be hung on this matter alone - be it in road building or school establishment, corruption still exists - in that respect, if the intention is to siphon funds, the method used is immaterial - whoever intends to steal will find a means of doing it.

The airline is a good project if managed properly and run with a mainly business focus, but since it's operations will be for Imo indigenes to benefit, it may not be wholly commercial in outlook.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by earTHMama: 6:36pm On Jan 05, 2009
The airline is a good project if managed properly and run with a mainly business focus, but since it's operations will be for Imo indigenes to benefit, it may not be wholly commercial in outlook.

There was a time state governments in Nigeria floated transport companies. Last time i checked, nearly all of them are ailing and some are no more in existence. Where is Ekiti mass transit today?
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by earTHMama: 6:38pm On Jan 05, 2009
Well u can doubt from now till time immemorial. Itz the Gospel truth. Am a living witness.
Nothing is too small for Imo airport was the slogan used to lure Imolites to make a donation toward the airport project. Irrespective of the fact that Chief S O Mbakwe was an opposition gov.His Govt still achieved it.

Imo airport was built with state govt allocation my friend and not community effort. undecided
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by earTHMama: 6:40pm On Jan 05, 2009
Start with Osun Grin
besides marrying Igbo wives,what else have you folks attained?

It's they[igbo men] that run from their women to osun for comfort. Look at them yesterday all on me like bee on honey. tongue
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by debosky(m): 6:43pm On Jan 05, 2009
earTHMama:

There was a time state governments in Nigeria floated transport companies. Last time i checked, nearly all of them are ailing and some are no more in existence. Where is Ekiti mass transit today?

The existence of failed projects in other states does not render this one unviable or unworkable. The caveat is to ensure the proper running and operation of the airline with necessary input. This has to be continued even when the current government goes out of power. The truth is that many failures have occurred, but that should not prevent new ventures from being started as long as necessary diligence has been done in setting them up.
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by presido1: 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2009
earTHMama:

Yes most of them are still waxing strong as am writting now. Rivers(RTC), Imo(ITC), Enugu(ENTRACO),Cross River(can't remember their name) even my local govt. has one up till today.

If the Govt did not do anything we complain, when they do we wish them bad luck shocked shocked shocked shocked

earTHMama:

Imo airport was built with state govt allocation my friend and not community effort. undecided
Keep on doubting. Didn;t they give the same allocation to other states?
Re: Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft by earTHMama: 6:54pm On Jan 05, 2009
Yes most of them are still waxing strong as am writting now. Rivers(RTC), Imo(ITC), Enugu(ENTRACO),Cross River(can't remember their name) even my local govt. has one up till today.

How many buses do they have left?. Can you claim the companies are growing or falling apart?. I am sure this your airline project will soon need bail out money from state's fund in order to remain afloat.

If the Govt did not do anything we complain, when they do we wish them bad luck

They are not doing anything per se now; They are only looking for ways to line their pockets.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Maryam Ibrahim Babangida By Augustus Aikhomu / Pfizer Evil Antics In Kano Exposed By Wikileaks / The Running Black Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.