Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe (4333 Views)

"N42million Tithe In Benue Is Chicken Feed" - Bishop Kukah / 10 Reasons Why You Should TITHE... / Should Tithe Be Based On Gross Or Net Income? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 7:56am On Feb 15, 2015
According to Hebrews 11:6, God says without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. When you tithe to God, you are truly walking by faith and not by sight. Most of us normally don't have enough money to spare. So when we tithe, we're putting God to the test. We're saying, "Yes, Lord, I believe you are the God of your Word, and I am giving by faith".

You have to use your faith to please God. As you step out in faith to give your tithes and offering, you are showing God that you believe him, and great shall be your reward eventually.

Be faithful day in and day out, week in and week out, month in and month out, year in and year out, and you will see the windows of heaven shower blessings on you and your family that are so great, that there will eventually be an overflowing in your life.

What is tithing?

"Tithe" means 10% or "a tenth part". God's Word tesll us that the first 10% of everything we earn or receive belongs to Him. God says in Malachi 3:8, if you don't give your thites and offerings to Him, you are a thief. In verse 9, He says that we bring lots of problems on ourselves if we don't tithe. The only way God's work will be doine on this earth is if God's people give of their finances. Certainly, the world isn't going to finance the end time harvest. It's the responsibility of the church, or God's people.

What's the difference between the "Tithe" and "Offerings"?

The tithe is to be the first 10% of everything you receice financially. An offering is any amount you would give above the tithe.

Well, I thought tithing was Old Testament Jewish Law that's not for today.

No! According to Galatians 3:17, the Law came 430 years after God iinstituted the promise and tithing with Abraham. If tithing was under the Jewish Law, why did Abraham tithe 430 years before teh Law was given? According to Genesis 14:20, Abraham tithed to the Priest Melchizedek from the very beginning, hundreds of years before the Law.

I can't afford to tithe!

If you are a disciple of Jesus Christ, you can't afford not to tithe! You need God's supernatural help if you're ever going to get out of debt. If you wait for your ship to come in before you tithe, you may be waiting a long time. Put your faith into action today by giving Him the first 10% of everything you earn or receive, and watch how He helps you get out of debt. I would also encourage you to teach your children to tithe to God from an early age, so they will be blessed all the days of their lives.

NINE REASONS WHY WE SHOULD TITHE

1. God commands it. In Malachi 3:10, God says, "bring the whole tithe into the storehouse". The storehouse refers to the place where you worship. The tithe is to be given to your home church, the place where you are spiritually fed. When you give to support charities and other ministries, you should be giving out of your offerings. The whole tithe belongs to the local church.

2. Tithing proves God's Word is true. God' says, if you will put Him to the test in tithes and offerings, eventually you will see great blessings overtake your life, even to the point that you will see God open the windows of blessing upon you and your family.

3. God will rebuke the devourer. According to Malachi 3:11, you have an enemy that will steal all your finances, but, when you bring God the whole tithe, and give offerings as He leads you, God will rebuke the enemy. When you become a follower of Jesus Christ, the enemy targets you and your finances. You need God's help if you're going to make it financially in today's world and the tough times that we live in. God actually challenges every believer to "put Him to the test" in their giving, and watch what He does in their lives. It's time to put God to the test, and watch God's blessings flow toward you. Do it today!

4. Tithing teaches me to put God first. According to Deuteronomy 14:23, the purpose of tithing is to teach you to always put God first in your life. If God has our finances, then we know He has our hearts. If we refuse to tithe, we prove that He really isn't first in the first place.

5. Jesus recognized tithing. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus recognized or commended the Pharisees for tithing. Tithing was the only thing they were doing right.

6. Tithing is essential to spiritual growth. God tells us in Luke 16:11, "if therefore you have not been faithful in the use of money, how can you expect Him to entrust greater riches to you?" Many Christians don't grow spiritually, and remain spiritual babies because they are not faithful to obey God in the tithes and offering.

7. Tithing proves you love the Lord. In 2 Corinthians 8:8, God says that your giving tests the sincerity of your love. You say you love the Lord, but you prove you love him when you give. Talk is cheap, and actions speak louder than words.

8. Tithing is an investment for eternity. In Matthew 6:19, Jesus told us to "store up treasure in heaven." When you give your tithes and offerings to the Lord's work, you are investing your money in souls for the Kingdom, and helping to get peopole to heaven.

9. You cannot "out-give" God. In Galatians 6:7, God says, "do not be deceied, God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows that he will aslo reap." God is watching, and whatever you give to Him, He will give back to you. Giving unlocks heaven's gates on your behalf. You cannot out-give God. The more you give to Him, the more He'll give back to you.

http://www.lightoftheworldcc.org/pages.asp?pageid=78654

4 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by 1stola: 8:01am On Feb 15, 2015
Really?
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 8:04am On Feb 15, 2015
1stola:
Really?

yea in fact i like this part that says :

3. God will rebuke the devourer. According to Malachi 3:11, you have an enemy that will steal all your finances, but, when you bring God the whole tithe, and give offerings as He leads you, God will rebuke the enemy. When you become a follower of Jesus Christ, the enemy targets you and your finances. You need God's help if you're going to make it financially in today's world and the tough times that we live in. God actually challenges every believer to "put Him to the test" in their giving, and watch what He does in their lives. It's time to put God to the test, and watch God's blessings flow toward you. Do it today!
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by 1stola: 8:10am On Feb 15, 2015
robosky02:

yea in fact i like this part that says :

I see
... According to Malachi....
Please why are other laws in the book not usually obeyed ? Only this tithe thing you people emphasis on!
That is hypocrisy.
Nigerian pastors deceiving gullible ones since 1920.

5 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by Jeromejnr(m): 8:16am On Feb 15, 2015
@OP This is a wonderful piece.

Although the Anti-tithers will soon be on your neck.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 8:41am On Feb 15, 2015
Jeromejnr:
@OP This is a wonderful piece.

Although the Anti-tithers will soon be on your neck.

it is not for the pastors

but for your covenant access to your blessing
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by PastorKun(m): 9:03am On Feb 15, 2015
Christians are not subject to the old testament tithe laws. That asides biblical tithes was not income(as it is fraudulently preached today) it was strictly agric produce. There is not one single verse in the whole bible were new testament christians are asked to tithe in fact tithing was anulled and described as a weak, useless and unprofitable commandment in hebrews 7:5-19.

4 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by AdeniyiA(m): 1:29pm On Feb 15, 2015
1stola:

I see
... According to Malachi....
Please why are other laws in the book not usually obeyed ? Only this tithe thing you people emphasis on!
That is hypocrisy.
Nigerian pastors deceiving gullible ones since 1920.
yeah,
how I wish people obey and practice other God's commandments as they do of tithe...
Case of selective obedience?

1 Like

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by lastmessenger: 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2015
When you want to preach about salvation you open New Testament.
Then when you want to raise money in church, you open Old Testament and select the suitable verses.
I smell fraud.

3 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 7:00pm On Feb 15, 2015
PastorKun:
Christians are not subject to the old testament tithe laws. That asides biblical tithes was not income(as it is fraudulently preached today) it was strictly agric produce. There is not one single verse in the whole bible were new testament christians are asked to tithe in fact tithing was anulled and described as a weak, useless and unprofitable commandment in hebrews 7:5-19.

tithe was never abolished in the new testament. Jesus said

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Matthew 5:17

he went on to say

Matthew 23:23
23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

the pharises were making a show of how much they give in tithe. which is good but they must be balance in faith too.

that is do all plus give your tithe

he also repeated it in

Luke 11:42 - But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by PastorKun(m): 10:30pm On Feb 15, 2015
robosky02:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Matthew 5:17

he went on to say

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

the pharises were making a show of how much they give in tithe. which is good but they must be balance in faith too.

he also repeated it in

Luke 11:42 - But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Tithes weren't abolished So how many of the 613 old testament laws do you keep You need to decide if you are a christian or a jew, you may wish to read Acts:15 to help you decide.

3 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by MarkMiwerds(m): 3:09am On Feb 16, 2015
robosky02:

he went on to say

he also repeated it in

the last place tithes are commanded in the Bible, Hebrews 7:5-8, they are still to be given to the sons of Levi... not to a pastor whose lineage cannot be traced back to the Levites. The Law further stated that God's holy tithes were to be observed in Canaan.

So, tell us, are you giving those "tithes" to the sons of Levi in Canaan? or to a non-Levitic pastor in another country?
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 9:17am On Feb 16, 2015
MarkMiwerds:
the last place tithes are commanded in the Bible, Hebrews 7:5-8, they are still to be given to the sons of Levi... not to a pastor whose lineage cannot be traced back to the Levites. The Law further stated that God's holy tithes were to be observed in Canaan.

So, tell us, are you giving those "tithes" to the sons of Levi in Canaan? or to a non-Levitic pastor in another country?

you must know the scriptures before you speak

1) the tithe is to be brought to the store house of God. it is not a TAX but a covenant provision to enter into the blessing

Malachi 3:10King James Version (KJV)
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

2) you dont need to go to any canaan to look for where to give your tithe

Jesus speaking to the woman who was looking for maoutain to worship say

John 4:20-24

20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.

21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

so to worship you dont need religious pilgrimage

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
right in the coutry were you are

1 Like

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by BBackOurGlory: 10:29am On Feb 16, 2015
[size=20pt][b]Tithes: Deuteronomy 14:22-29
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.
23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always.
24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away),
25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose.
26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.
27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns,
29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

JESUS NEVER COLLECTED TITHES, NEITHER HIS DISCIPLES .. BROS, WHOSE DISCIPLE ARE YOU?
[/b]
[/size]

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 11:17am On Feb 16, 2015
if tithe was done away with in the new testament there would have been no need to make reference to it

note giving of offering is always mention along with tithe

Malachi 3:8 - Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

the new testament disciples mention the essence of giving tithe when they made reference to the abrahamic blessing

hebrews 7:1-2
1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being try anslated "king of righteousness," and then also king of Salem, meaning "king of peace,"

the disciples even asked the people to plan thier giving (tithes and offering)

Corinthians Chapter 16
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

JESUS SPOKE a lot about tithes

luke 18;11 - 13
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'

he talk about tithe if its not accepted he would not use it in this parable

Matthew 23:23 - Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other

he talked about giving tithe as much as you do other things
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 11:19am On Feb 16, 2015
note its a covenant provision to enjoy Gods blessing

if you like dont

but if you must have a secured blessing then you need to activate this covenant principle

note its never for any pastors gain

but for your own blessings
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by PastorKun(m): 12:56pm On Feb 16, 2015
robosky02:

note its a covenant provision to enjoy Gods blessing

if you like dont

but if you must have a secured blessing then you need to activate this covenant principle

note its never for any pastors gain

but for your own blessings

Did You read the deuteronomy passage posted above? If then, how do your reconcile the definition and use of tithes there. With the false monetary tithes from income version you preach in churches today?
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 1:36pm On Feb 16, 2015
PastorKun:

Did You read the deuteronomy passage posted above? If then, how do your reconcile the definition and use of tithes there. With the false monetary tithes from income version you preach in churches today?

i hope you really read that passage yourself:

ok let me take from there

1. the tithe belongs to God and you should truely tithe all of it.

22 "You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year

2. in thier time they were agrarians thus it easy for them to take from thier farm produce to give thier tithe. but our days we do differnet jobs and the economy is based on money.thus we can give our tithe in monetary value. in fact from that same scripture they were told to even exchange thier farm produce if they cant carry it. and pay with money

24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the Lord your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the Lord your God has blessed you, 25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses

3. the tithe is to be brought to the house of God (the store house ) or the local church were you are feed Gods word NOT to give to any pastor as you wish.

You shall not forsake the Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part nor inheritance with you. 28 "At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates. 29 And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

4 the reason for the tithe is that God will bless you

it is 10% of all your income given to God as your covenant accees to the blessing

from that same scripture if you look at the last verse. the reason for the tithe was given

if you go to

Malachi 3:10New International Version (NIV)
10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

the reason is given again.......... that God will bless you

so if anyman give tithe or not you have not done any thing to the pastor its up to you

"that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do."

29 And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by asala1: 4:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
robosky02:

22 "You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year

2. in thier time they were agrarians thus it easy for them to take from thier farm produce to give thier tithe. but our days we do differnet jobs and the economy is based on money.thus we can give our tithe in monetary value. in fact from that same scripture they were told to even exchange thier farm produce if they cant carry it. and pay with money

24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the Lord your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the Lord your God has blessed you, 25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses

3. the tithe is to be brought to the house of God (the store house ) or the local church were you are feed Gods word NOT to give to any pastor as you wish.

You shall not forsake the Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part nor inheritance with you. 28 "At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates. 29 And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

it is 10% of all your income given to God as your covenant accees to the blessing

from that same scripture if you look at the last verse. the reason for the tithe was given

if you go to

10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

so if anyman give tithe or not you have not done any thing to the pastor its up to you

"that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do."

29 And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

You are a bloody lair and a fraud! Why not finish that verse 22-28. What is tithe there for? Is it to be eaten? and by who?

Do you think there is no money then? if you believe there is no money, then you need to read your bible again. The problem with Christians is that they can use any fraud means to backup their dealings. It's so sad.

4 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by trustman: 6:32pm On Feb 16, 2015
robosky02:

he went on to say

he also repeated it in

The key issue is that the New Covenant we are in, has no place for a compulsory tithing thing.

Jesus Christ did not live under the New Covenant. 
He lived under the age of Israel which was under the Old Covenant. 
His death and resurrection and session instituted (kick-started, brought into place) the New Covenant -  
Hebrews 9:16 For where a will is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established.
17 For a will takes effect only at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive.

This gives us a good understanding of how the book of Hebrews started off -

Hebrews 1
1 In the past God spoke to our people through the prophets. He spoke to them many times and in many different ways. 2 And now in these last days, God has spoken to us again through his Son. He made the whole world through his Son. And he has chosen his Son to have all things. 3 The Son shows the glory of God. He is a perfect copy of God’s nature, and he holds everything together by his powerful command. The Son made people clean from their sins. Then he sat down at the right side of God, the Great One in heaven. 4 The Son became much greater than the angels, and God gave him a name that is much greater than any of their names.
Hebrews 8:6
But the work that has been given to Jesus is much greater than the work that was given to those priests. In the same way, the new agreement [/b]that Jesus brought from God to his people is much greater than the old one. And the new agreement is based on better promises. 7 If there was nothing wrong with the [b]first agreement, then there would be no need for a second agreement.
13 God called this a new agreement, so he has made the first agreement old. And anything that is old and useless is ready to disappear.
Hebrews 9:1
The first agreement had rules for worship and a place for worship here on earth.
10 These gifts and sacrifices are only about food and drink and special washings. They are only rules about the body. God gave them for his people to follow until the time of his new way.
Hebrews 10
The law gave us only an unclear picture of the good things coming in the future. The law is not a perfect picture of the real things.

Israel was a NATIONAL ENTITY WITH GEOGRAPHICAL BOUNDARIES – a real estate, if you like - and had a national and spiritual life based on the Mosaic Law.
The church age believer does not belong to A SINGLE NATIONAL ENTITY. He is also NOT UNDER the Mosaic law (or any system pre-mosaic law) that instituted or called for tithing. 

Did God command the Christian to tithe? If so show me from the New Testament epistles.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by Princewell2012(m): 7:58pm On Feb 16, 2015
@op, why are you misinterpreting the scripture? Infacts when I read some people comments here, it will show that they don't know anything about the bible. The most anoying things is that you even quoted d book of hebrew on the issue of faith, while it was the same hebrew that nolify tithing entirely. you also shot urself on ur legs when u mentioned mathew 23;23 that Jesus said to d pharisees to pay tithe. ar u now a pharisee anyother person also gave us luke 18 where Jesus even humiliated a pharisees who is braging about his faithfulness in keeping the law, which includes his regular tithing. u can see what Jesus told his listeners. God was sending a warning to d isrealites who have abandoned his law for a very long time... He said prove me now, if i will not..... just try me and see, just test me nd see me in action. they obeyed him and he proved himself. bt 2day our pastors wil tell u dat u ar not doing it faithfuly or regularly, dats y u hv nt bn blesd, trying 2 make God a lair. God can never lie.

1 Like

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by MarkMiwerds(m): 10:59pm On Feb 16, 2015
robosky02:

you must know the scriptures before you speak

1) the tithe is to be brought to the store house of God. it is not a TAX but a covenant provision to enter into the blessing

Malachi 3:10King James Version (KJV)
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

2) you dont need to go to any canaan to look for where to give your tithe

Jesus speaking to the woman who was looking for maoutain to worship say

John 4:20-24

20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.

21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

so to worship you dont need religious pilgrimage

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
right in the coutry were you are

i do know the Scriptures, that is why I spoke.

The storehouse was in the Temple in Jerusalem... Which was a part of the land of Canaan.

Deuteronomy 12 states that the tithes were not to be observed until the people of God crossed over the Jordan and entered the land of Canaan.

In other words, God did not want His holy tithes to be from Gentile soil. It had to come from crops raised and livestock bred own the land Promised to the Patriarch Jacob.

I find no New Testament Scripture where God amended His holy tithes of agricultural produce and livestock in Canaan to tithes of money on Gentile soil. Therefore, the monetary tithe requirement, being totally foreign to Scripture, is a man-made commandment.

Matthew 15:9 (KJV) 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men.

In another post, you mentioned 1 Corinthians 16:1-3. That passage has absolutely nothing to do with tithes. It was a collection for poor saints in another country. Tithes in the Law, which was still being practiced at the time Paul wrote that letter to the Church at Corinth, were not the first of the week... They were at the end of the harvest. They were not stored by the tithers, they were taken to one of forty-eight cities and given to the Sons of Levi. The sons of Levi, in turn, would take a tithe of that tithe to the storehouse.

The storehouse was not a bank located on the other side of town. It was a semi-circular set of rooms attached to the sides and back of the Temple.

4 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by MarkMiwerds(m): 11:36pm On Feb 16, 2015
You said, " You must know the Scriptures before you speak".

I do know the Scriptures. A search on NL forums for "A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour " will reveal that I am very knowledgeable in the Word of God. I was on a debate team in a discussion on tithing that lasted 58 days, covering practically every verse on tithing in the Scriptures.

While our opponents were not convinced at the end of the debate, they failed to convince us to attach ourselves to the pro-tithe side of the debate either. If anything, their constant twisting and adding to Scripture to make it say what it did not say only strengthened our position that God does not require monetary tithes of us today.

6 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by Princewell2012(m): 3:51am On Feb 17, 2015
MarkMiwerds:
You said, " You must know the Scriptures before you speak".

I do know the Scriptures. A search on NL forums for "A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour " will reveal that I am very knowledgeable in the Word of God. I was on a debate team in a discussion on tithing that lasted 58 days, covering practically every verse on tithing in the Scriptures.

While our opponents were not convinced at the end of the debate, they failed to convince us to attach ourselves to the pro-tithe side of the debate either. If anything, their constant twisting and adding to Scripture to make it say what it did not say only strengthened our position that God does not require monetary tithes of us today.

Hence it is the issue of money, they will never agree whth you. yes when money have been involved in, but they were very quickly to adapt to other laws, and tell u we are in the time of grace. To me thats hypocricy.

3 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by PastorKun(m): 8:23am On Feb 17, 2015
robosky02:

if you go to

When i saw that you deliberately quoted just half of deuteronomy 14:25 and now proceeded to use it out of it's intended context, i had to conclude that you are not genuinely mistaken but you are a deliberate FRAUD so there is no point continuing this discussion with you. For the record verse 25 makes it clear that the tither and his family can eat the tithes themselves in the presence of God. the fact that you deliberately left that part out means you know the truth but you are toooo dishonest to admit it. also verse 25 proves to us that there was money in those days contrary to the lies being told by your likes to justify monetary tithing. The verse also reveals that money was not acceptable as tithes as God specifically directs that the money gotten from the tithe produce should be used to by what ever the the tither desired and the tither should consume it himself with his family. It never said the money should be given to the place of worship.

5 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by obal2: 2:12pm On Feb 17, 2015
I have found out that regardless of what we say or do to rid modern day Christianity of some of the frauds going on in the church, most will simply not listen because their minds are beclouded and their heads brainwashed with biblical heresies and misrepresentations. It marvels me how shallow minded and gullible most modern day Christians have become when it gets to financial prosperity.

Have you heard of pastors linking lack of promotion at work, sickness or armed robbery attack to non-payment of tithe? That is why you hear Christians coming out in the congregation to give testimonies that he got promoted the very month he started paying tithe. Ask him whether he was the only one promoted? Ask him if Muslims, non-tithe paying Christians, grail messengers, Eckists and Atheists are not included on the promotion list. Why then will a tithe-paying Christians attribute his promotion to his tithe? Self justification you will say which in itself is a sin! In the same vein, are all Muslims, non-tithe paying Christians, grail messengers, Eckists and Atheists in the hospitals because they don't pay tithe? Are all tithe paying healthy? Why can't my christian brothers and sisters wake up for once! Why do you allow a group of insincere and self aggrandizing individuals, whose God is their belly continue to fleece you of your hard earned money?

The book of the Acts of Apostle provides insights into early christian practices, doctrines and beliefs. Someone should check and confirm where the idea of tithe and first fruits was highlighted. What was recorded was purely cheerful giving. Apostle Paul, the writer of most parts of the Christian Bible never for once mentioned tithe but cheerful and willing giving (2Cor. 9:7) Or did he forget to include it?

The proponents of tithe derive their reference from the old testament and only in Malachi 3:10 to pronounce curses and intimidate the helpless sheep. They are clever to carefully avoid the full truth about tithes as enunciated in places like Number 18:28, Deut 12:6, Neh 10:37 -38, Heb 7:9 etc

Has anyone ever asked? Will the current rate of church expansion be sustained if there is no tithe, offering and first fruits again? The answer is capital NO. The motivation for opening church these days is first and foremost tithes, offerings and first fruit. A junior colleague whose wife just graduated from a Bible college in Lagos came to invite me to the graduation programme. In the course of discussions, he disclosed his intention to open a church using the space in front of his house where his wife will be the pastor and he will be the Treasurer. He further said to me that I could imagine what would be coming in for the church as tithes if he has about ten members like me in his church! Such is the reasoning of most church promoters today. Has any Christian ever reasoned that Pastors and GOs actually don't need to pray for blessing anymore with staggering Tithes, offering and first fruits coming in every week?

To further buttress how bewitched modern day Christians have been, I once joked with some people that I was thinking of starting an Assembly that will be devoid of the trending and growing heresies including disbandment of tithes and first fruits. Somebody asked if I am sure people will come. I am not sure the assembly will grow too because people will go to where what they want to hear is preached.

It is highly disappointing how Christianity has been shortchanged. What suppose to be a framework for relationship between God and man has now been turned to prosperity channel for the promoters.

God please deliver your church from merchandisers and may your kingdom come quickly!

3 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by Princewell2012(m): 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2015
@obal2, you have realy made my day. this is what realy happen, those pastors knows exactly the truth about tithe, but they just find it dificult to obey. Lets me give u an example, i used to be a member of pfn, one of d the pastor is telling us the activities in winners chapel. He said that only one sunday offering alone, the ushers used to count the money for complete two weeks. now tell me, what type of preaching or advice would you give to such a man, that will make him to listen to you? thats the problem. i could remember the day we did our ordination, a friend jokingly told one of us, who is ordaining as a pastor, and said to him, stephen ur money dom come now o, we were surprise at that kind of statement. believe you me just remove tithe and offering from today churches , you will shock to see how many ministers that will remain. This people does'nt love God atall, they only claimed to love him. Therefore, they knows the truth, but their greediness cannot just helps out.

4 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 12:07pm On Feb 18, 2015
Myles Munroe once said “when purpose is not known abuse is inevitable”
The issue of whether to give or not to give is NEVER a force. But when you have a deeper understanding of what to do nobody will deceive you.

2 Timothy 3 New International Version (NIV)
3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

The question I intend to ask and give answer to is:
Why do people tithe to the church?
The reasons are many. As I considered my own motivation, I discovered at least ten reasons why I give ten percent of my income to the church. A study of these reasons will help us to understand the great blessing of tithing and the biblical responsibility to tithe.

1. To Honor the Creator.
"Render… unto God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:21).
Acquisitiveness is one of the basic drives of mankind. Children grasp their toys and cry, "Mine!" Someone has noted three attitudes in the parable of the good Samaritan. The priest and the Levite had the attitude, "What's mine is mine and I'm going to keep it!" The thieves had the attitude "What's yours is mine, and I'm going to get it!" The Samaritan had the attitude, 'What's mine is yours, and you can have it." There is another attitude that should permeate our thinking, even above the commendable attitude of the Samaritan. That is, "Everything we have belongs to God, and we are stewards of His goods'"
God owns the entire world and its substance. "The earth is the LORD"S, and the fulness thereof" (Psalm 24:1). "Behold, all souls are mine" (Ezekiel 18:4). "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine" (Haggai2:cool. It is God who gives people the power to obtain wealth (Psalm 75:6-7; Ecclesiastes 5:19). We are not to glory in what God has given us, but to glory in Him (Jeremiah 9:23-24).
Why should I be grudge God ten percent when everything actually belongs to Him? If it were not for Him, there would be no land, no seed, no strength, no income, and no life. How generous He is to tell us, ""the tithe... is the LORD'S"! (Leviticus 27:30).

2. To Acknowledge My Heritage.
"And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:29).
Abraham was the first tithe payer of record(Genesis 14:20). Abraham's grandson, Jacob, paid tithes (Genesis 28:22). Scripture says that Levi, Abraham's descendant and the father of the tribe from which the priesthood came, paid tithes in Abraham (Hebrews 7:9). My heritage of paying a tithe precedes the law of Moses. As a child of Abraham and an heir of the promise of Abraham. I acknowledge my family relationship by paying tithes.
Jesus said to the Jews, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham" (John 8:39). It would be strange to claim to be a child of Abraham and yet to neglect one of Abraham's most fundamental and noteworthy acts. I pay my tithes as a spiritual descendant of Abraham, the father of the faithful.

3. To Fulfill the Covenant.
"For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious" (II Corinthians 3:11).
In every comparison of the law of Moses and the new covenant that came by Jesus Christ, the new covenant stands supreme. The characteristic word in the Book of Hebrews is better, and everything is better about the new covenant. If the law demanded tithes, then how much more should we who are under the "perfect law of liberty" give our tithes willingly. (See James 1:25). If the law is written in the fleshly tables of our hearts and we follow God's commands not from outward rules but because of our new nature, then how quickly and how easily we should give the tenth that belongs to the Lord" (See II Corinthians 3:3-6).
Some people say, "Oh, we do not pay tithes, because tithing was under the law." If that is a sufficient reason for not paying tithes, then we could also mistreat our parents, for the law said, Honour thy father and thy mother" (Exodus 20:12). In actuality, we honor our father and mother and we give our tithes because the principles of the law are written in our hearts by the Spirit of God. We give willingly and liberally because the Spirit motivates us to give what God has said is His.

4. To Show My Love.
"Many waters cannot quench love" (Song of Solomon 8:7).
Love is the strongest motivation in the world. I have seen bumper stickers that say, "If you love Jesus, honk your horn!" Anyone can honk his horn. But David said, "Neither will I offer…unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing" (II Samuel 24:24). Someone should print a sticker that says, "If you love Jesus, pay your tithes!"
For someone who genuinely loves the Lord, the tithe is only the beginning of his giving. He gives not only his tithe, but also offerings (plural), not grudgingly and not of necessity, but cheerfully with love. as a matter of fact some even give more than just ten percent.

5. To Fulfill an Obligation.
"Ye pay tithe…:these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).
Jesus did not criticize the Pharisees for paying tithes. He commended them. He said it was something they "ought" to have done. The word ought expresses an obligation or duty. It is one of the strongest words in the English language. To pay tithes is something every Christian ought to do.
The word ought has three meanings: (a) obligation or duty; as in, "He ought to pay his debts", (b) desirability; as in, "You ought to eat more slowly", (c) expectancy or probability; as in, "I ought to be through by Monday." Each one of these meanings puts an obligation upon the Christian. It is desirable for him to pay his tithes, he is expected to pay his tithes, and he has a duty to pay his tithes.

6. To Escape Condemnation.
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me… in tithes and offerings" (Malachi 3:cool.
How sad it is that people who are honest in business and who pay their debts to the bank, the store, and the government will not pay God what belongs to Him! Sometimes people quibble about whether they are "paying" or "giving" tithes, but both terms seem appropriate. The tithe is the Lord's and He expects us to pay it to Him; at the same time, He does not receive it until we give it to Him. He does not give us the authority to use His tithes for other purposes, but we have the power to spend it as long as it is in our hands. Nevertheless, a person is condemned if he spends God's money.

7. To Spread the Gospel.
"So hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel" (I Corinthians 9:14).
God has ordained for people to be saved by the preaching of the gospel (I Corinthians 1:21). "How shall they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14).
Tithing is God's way of supporting the ministry. In the Old Testament, the Levites and the priest were God's minister to the nation of Israel, and they were supported by tithes. In the New Testament, God has called people to minister the gospel. These ministers can be more effective if they do not have to provide for their livelihood by working on a secular job but can devote themselves full time to the work of God. They need time to give themselves to prayer and to the ministry of the Word.
It is not wrong for a man to labor with his hands, nor should a minister feel too good to engage in honest labor. Yet God's plan is for those who preach the gospel to live of the gospel. When God inspired Moses to write that the people should not put a muzzle on the box that labored, God was not as concerned with the ox as He was with the principle that a laborer should receive his livelihood from his work. The application of this principle is that the minister of the gospel should earn his living from his ministry. (See I Corinthians 9:9-14).
Some ministers have endured financial hardships and deprivation in order to proclaim the gospel in needy areas. If the tithing income insures that the minister can live in a good house, drive a good car, and buy sufficient clothes for his family, why should I begrudge providing these things to a man who would preach the gospel even if he had to work on a secular job to do it? It is a disgrace to a church if the pastor has to take a secular job to supply his family's needs when there should be sufficient tithing income available to allow him to do God's work on a full-time basis. My tithing can help to spread the gospel.
Yes I admit that some could have misunderstand Gods purpose on this does not mean you shouldn’t do your part.

8. To Avoid a Curse.
"Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me" (Malachi 3:9).
Someone has said, "You can't outgive God, and you can't outsqueeze Him either."
Some people put their money into "a big with holes" (Haggai 1:6). They do not give God His tithe, bit they eventually spend the money for automobile repairs, medical bills, and a thousand other things that they might have avoided if they had been faithful to God in their giving.
God said that the whole nation of Israel was cursed because they had not given God His due. God asked Israel to dedicate the gold of Jericho to Him, but Achan took a wedge of gold and hid it in a tent. It became a curse to him and his whole family.
I do not want God to curse my blessings. I want to give Him His tithe.

9. To Enjoy God's Blessing.
"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse… and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it " (Malachi 3:10). (See also Luke 6:38).
God blesses the people who pay tithes. They do not always have the most money or the best clothes, but they are blessed.
However, I am wary of those who promise, "If you give God a dollar, He will give you back four." The expectation of a return should not be our motivation for giving. And His richest blessings are not necessarily monetary.
But I do want God to notice me and remember me. He noticed that the window put money into the treasury at the Temple. He noticed what Cornelius was giving. He noticed what Israel was not giving. He knows what we give and He notices when we give.
God has asked us to prove Him and see if He will not give us His blessings. I have trusted Him, tested Him, and tried Him, and I have concluded that it is better to give God what belongs to Him.

10. To Be Consistent.
"Be thou an example of the believers" (I Timothy 4:12).
For most of my ministry. I have lived on tithing income. How could I receive tithes and not pay tithes? I could not do so and be consistent. The Levites, who received tithes, also paid tithes on what they received (Nehemiah 10:38). Preachers who receive tithes should be most faithful to pay them.
Paying tithes will not save a person-everyone must be born again to be saved. But paying tithes will reap a blessing. Genuine Christian not only pay tithes, but they willingly pay tithes.

Finally your giving makes no sense except you first give your life to Christ. Then you can.to stand and argue why you should not also makes no sense. It’s a simply choice

Imagine buying bread for a little kid and asking him to cut a bite for you and he vehemently refuse that the bread is his own. As a parent what will be your impression of the child.

If God is the one that gave you breath, you didn’t pay for oxygen, gave you brain to be educated and helped you in the mist of multitude of unemployed graduate you had a job. If you are wise giving tithe (ten percent) which is even the minimum you can give. Will not be a problem for you.

so some are hinding under the guise of not willing to give to discaurage others from giving be wise
3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by trustman: 2:30pm On Feb 18, 2015
[size=5pt]
robosky02:

Myles Munroe once said “when purpose is not known abuse is inevitable”
The issue of whether to give or not to give is NEVER a force. But when you have a deeper understanding of what to do nobody will deceive you.

The question I intend to ask and give answer to is:
Why do people tithe to the church?
The reasons are many. As I considered my own motivation, I discovered at least ten reasons why I give ten percent of my income to the church. A study of these reasons will help us to understand the great blessing of tithing and the biblical responsibility to tithe.

1. To Honor the Creator.
"Render… unto God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:21).
Acquisitiveness is one of the basic drives of mankind. Children grasp their toys and cry, "Mine!" Someone has noted three attitudes in the parable of the good Samaritan. The priest and the Levite had the attitude, "What's mine is mine and I'm going to keep it!" The thieves had the attitude "What's yours is mine, and I'm going to get it!" The Samaritan had the attitude, 'What's mine is yours, and you can have it." There is another attitude that should permeate our thinking, even above the commendable attitude of the Samaritan. That is, "Everything we have belongs to God, and we are stewards of His goods'"
God owns the entire world and its substance. "The earth is the LORD"S, and the fulness thereof" (Psalm 24:1). "Behold, all souls are mine" (Ezekiel 18:4). "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine" (Haggai2:cool. It is God who gives people the power to obtain wealth (Psalm 75:6-7; Ecclesiastes 5:19). We are not to glory in what God has given us, but to glory in Him (Jeremiah 9:23-24).
Why should I be grudge God ten percent when everything actually belongs to Him? If it were not for Him, there would be no land, no seed, no strength, no income, and no life. How generous He is to tell us, ""the tithe... is the LORD'S"! (Leviticus 27:30).

2. To Acknowledge My Heritage.
"And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:29).
Abraham was the first tithe payer of record(Genesis 14:20). Abraham's grandson, Jacob, paid tithes (Genesis 28:22). Scripture says that Levi, Abraham's descendant and the father of the tribe from which the priesthood came, paid tithes in Abraham (Hebrews 7:9). My heritage of paying a tithe precedes the law of Moses. As a child of Abraham and an heir of the promise of Abraham. I acknowledge my family relationship by paying tithes.
Jesus said to the Jews, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham" (John 8:39). It would be strange to claim to be a child of Abraham and yet to neglect one of Abraham's most fundamental and noteworthy acts. I pay my tithes as a spiritual descendant of Abraham, the father of the faithful.

3. To Fulfill the Covenant.
"For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious" (II Corinthians 3:11).
In every comparison of the law of Moses and the new covenant that came by Jesus Christ, the new covenant stands supreme. The characteristic word in the Book of Hebrews is better, and everything is better about the new covenant. If the law demanded tithes, then how much more should we who are under the "perfect law of liberty" give our tithes willingly. (See James 1:25). If the law is written in the fleshly tables of our hearts and we follow God's commands not from outward rules but because of our new nature, then how quickly and how easily we should give the tenth that belongs to the Lord" (See II Corinthians 3:3-6).
Some people say, "Oh, we do not pay tithes, because tithing was under the law." If that is a sufficient reason for not paying tithes, then we could also mistreat our parents, for the law said, Honour thy father and thy mother" (Exodus 20:12). In actuality, we honor our father and mother and we give our tithes because the principles of the law are written in our hearts by the Spirit of God. We give willingly and liberally because the Spirit motivates us to give what God has said is His.

4. To Show My Love.
"Many waters cannot quench love" (Song of Solomon 8:7).
Love is the strongest motivation in the world. I have seen bumper stickers that say, "If you love Jesus, honk your horn!" Anyone can honk his horn. But David said, "Neither will I offer…unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing" (II Samuel 24:24). Someone should print a sticker that says, "If you love Jesus, pay your tithes!"
For someone who genuinely loves the Lord, the tithe is only the beginning of his giving. He gives not only his tithe, but also offerings (plural), not grudgingly and not of necessity, but cheerfully with love. as a matter of fact some even give more than just ten percent.

5. To Fulfill an Obligation.
"Ye pay tithe…:these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).
Jesus did not criticize the Pharisees for paying tithes. He commended them. He said it was something they "ought" to have done. The word ought expresses an obligation or duty. It is one of the strongest words in the English language. To pay tithes is something every Christian ought to do.
The word ought has three meanings: (a) obligation or duty; as in, "He ought to pay his debts", (b) desirability; as in, "You ought to eat more slowly", (c) expectancy or probability; as in, "I ought to be through by Monday." Each one of these meanings puts an obligation upon the Christian. It is desirable for him to pay his tithes, he is expected to pay his tithes, and he has a duty to pay his tithes.

6. To Escape Condemnation.
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me… in tithes and offerings" (Malachi 3:cool.
How sad it is that people who are honest in business and who pay their debts to the bank, the store, and the government will not pay God what belongs to Him! Sometimes people quibble about whether they are "paying" or "giving" tithes, but both terms seem appropriate. The tithe is the Lord's and He expects us to pay it to Him; at the same time, He does not receive it until we give it to Him. He does not give us the authority to use His tithes for other purposes, but we have the power to spend it as long as it is in our hands. Nevertheless, a person is condemned if he spends God's money.

7. To Spread the Gospel.
"So hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel" (I Corinthians 9:14).
God has ordained for people to be saved by the preaching of the gospel (I Corinthians 1:21). "How shall they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14).
Tithing is God's way of supporting the ministry. In the Old Testament, the Levites and the priest were God's minister to the nation of Israel, and they were supported by tithes. In the New Testament, God has called people to minister the gospel. These ministers can be more effective if they do not have to provide for their livelihood by working on a secular job but can devote themselves full time to the work of God. They need time to give themselves to prayer and to the ministry of the Word.
It is not wrong for a man to labor with his hands, nor should a minister feel too good to engage in honest labor. Yet God's plan is for those who preach the gospel to live of the gospel. When God inspired Moses to write that the people should not put a muzzle on the box that labored, God was not as concerned with the ox as He was with the principle that a laborer should receive his livelihood from his work. The application of this principle is that the minister of the gospel should earn his living from his ministry. (See I Corinthians 9:9-14).
Some ministers have endured financial hardships and deprivation in order to proclaim the gospel in needy areas. If the tithing income insures that the minister can live in a good house, drive a good car, and buy sufficient clothes for his family, why should I begrudge providing these things to a man who would preach the gospel even if he had to work on a secular job to do it? It is a disgrace to a church if the pastor has to take a secular job to supply his family's needs when there should be sufficient tithing income available to allow him to do God's work on a full-time basis. My tithing can help to spread the gospel.
Yes I admit that some could have misunderstand Gods purpose on this does not mean you shouldn’t do your part.

8. To Avoid a Curse.
"Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me" (Malachi 3:9).
Someone has said, "You can't outgive God, and you can't outsqueeze Him either."
Some people put their money into "a big with holes" (Haggai 1:6). They do not give God His tithe, bit they eventually spend the money for automobile repairs, medical bills, and a thousand other things that they might have avoided if they had been faithful to God in their giving.
God said that the whole nation of Israel was cursed because they had not given God His due. God asked Israel to dedicate the gold of Jericho to Him, but Achan took a wedge of gold and hid it in a tent. It became a curse to him and his whole family.
I do not want God to curse my blessings. I want to give Him His tithe.

9. To Enjoy God's Blessing.
"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse… and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it " (Malachi 3:10). (See also Luke 6:38).
God blesses the people who pay tithes. They do not always have the most money or the best clothes, but they are blessed.
However, I am wary of those who promise, "If you give God a dollar, He will give you back four." The expectation of a return should not be our motivation for giving. And His richest blessings are not necessarily monetary.
But I do want God to notice me and remember me. He noticed that the window put money into the treasury at the Temple. He noticed what Cornelius was giving. He noticed what Israel was not giving. He knows what we give and He notices when we give.
God has asked us to prove Him and see if He will not give us His blessings. I have trusted Him, tested Him, and tried Him, and I have concluded that it is better to give God what belongs to Him.

10. To Be Consistent.
"Be thou an example of the believers" (I Timothy 4:12).
For most of my ministry. I have lived on tithing income. How could I receive tithes and not pay tithes? I could not do so and be consistent. The Levites, who received tithes, also paid tithes on what they received (Nehemiah 10:38). Preachers who receive tithes should be most faithful to pay them.
Paying tithes will not save a person-everyone must be born again to be saved. But paying tithes will reap a blessing. Genuine Christian not only pay tithes, but they willingly pay tithes.

Finally your giving makes no sense except you first give your life to Christ. Then you can.to stand and argue why you should not also makes no sense. It’s a simply choice

Imagine buying bread for a little kid and asking him to cut a bite for you and he vehemently refuse that the bread is his own. As a parent what will be your impression of the child.

If God is the one that gave you breath, you didn’t pay for oxygen, gave you brain to be educated and helped you in the mist of multitude of unemployed graduate you had a job. If you are wise giving tithe (ten percent) which is even the minimum you can give. Will not be a problem for you.

so some are hinding under the guise of not willing to give to discaurage others from giving be wise

[/size]

The Christian needs to live his spiritual in line with God's prescription. 

Not to do that is to be like the Pharisees who set aside God's laws and instituted their own laws and relished in the position that they fulfilled  the laws they created and so expected God to approve of them. 

God only stands by what he has said. Remember the case of Uzzah in 2 Samuel 6. He wanted to do what he felt was right. But he was acting directly against God's prescription. And God showed his displeasure. 
Remember Ananias and Sapphira. They gave money - a perfectly legitimate thing to do - but with a wrong motive. And God again showed his displeasure. 

So it is not just enough to claim to be doing a thing "for God". It is not enough to come up with a hundred 'legitimate' reasons to do so. 
The issue for the Christian ultimately is: what is God's will concerning this? And in the case of giving: how has God commanded me to worship him with my giving under the NEW COVENANT?
Anything else will be wood, hay and straw at the evaluation throne of Christ; no matter how 'right', 'rational' or legitimate it may seem to the one doing it now. 

3 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by WinsomeX: 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2015
robosky02:

Hello OP,

I do not tithe. And I think your ten points for tithing, even though they are quite interesting, they have very poor scriptural foundation.

If you do not mind, I would like engage you in a Q and A on tithing. So that it might be fair, I would ask a question, you will answer and when I am satisfied, you will ask yours.

By the way, I am a born again Christian. A minister of the Lord Jesus Christ.

My question: from your item 6, what do you mean by 'a person is condemned if he spends God's money'. Condemned to what: hell, penury or what? Please provide scriptural positions for your points.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 18, 2015
Op, u lack knowledge and understanding.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 5:26pm On Feb 18, 2015
WinsomeX:

Hello OP,

I do not tithe. And I think your ten points for tithing, even though they are quite interesting, they have very poor scriptural foundation.

If you do not mind, I would like engage you in a Q and A on tithing. So that it might be fair, I would ask a question, you will answer and when I am satisfied, you will ask yours.

By the way, I am a born again Christian. A minister of the Lord Jesus Christ.

My question: from your item 6, what do you mean by 'a person is condemned if he spends God's money'. Condemned to what: hell, penury or what? Please provide scriptural positions for your points.

ok will get back to you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Teachings Of Jesus That Jesus Disobeyed / Eat Your Tithe!! The Bible Verse Most Pastors Won't Show You. / How God Busted Boko Haram Plot In Winners' Church, Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 214
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.