Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,776 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa (5769 Views)

CNN, Others, Barred From White House Press Briefings / Mozambican man, Emmanuel Sithole Stabbed To Death In South Africa / We Won't Apologise, Foreigners Are Not Welcome -south Africa King Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 15, 2015
Zuma curbs foreign land rights

Published on 15 February 2015

Foreigners will be barred from owning land in South Africa and no individual will be able to own more than 12,000 hectares, the equivalent of two farms, under legislation currently in the works, President Jacob Zuma said yesterday.

Giving more details of a Land Holdings Bill announced last week in a State of the Nation address, Zuma said foreign individuals and companies would be restricted to long-term leases of between 30 and 50 years.

If any South Africans owned more than 12,000 hectares, the excess would be liable for seizure by the state, Zuma said, in comments that are likely to upset the large -and still predominantly white-owned -commercial farming sector.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/world-news/zuma-curbs-foreign-land-rights.118498948
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by chukxie(m): 11:15am On Feb 15, 2015
Another Zimbabwe is in the horizon.

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 11:36am On Feb 15, 2015
chukxie:

How is it another Zimbabwe? Land redistribution is in our constitution and has been going on since the dawn of democracy.

And foreigners can not own land in South Africa but can lease it which is a standard operation everywhere in the world.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 15, 2015
Mtchew. Investors dey interested in Nigeria and someone is trying to make SA important.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Vision4God: 11:59am On Feb 15, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 15, 2015
Largas:
Mtchew. Investors dey interested in Nigeria and someone is trying to make SA important.

News flash! South Africa is very important and that's a fact. smiley
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 12:13pm On Feb 15, 2015
BluIvy:

News flash! South Africa is very important and that's a fact. smiley
What country is Africa top economy? geraway. South africa ko? south pole ni? Mtchew. No waste my time again.

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 15, 2015
Largas:

What country is Africa top economy? geraway. South africa ko? south pole ni? Mtchew. No waste my time again.

Puleeeeze! Please stop with this useless GDP story. By now it might have shrunk by 50% because your economy is trouble abduction the naira is going the Zimbabwean dollar way.

Now tell me who would want to invest in such an environment?

FACT: SA has the strongest economy and better yet a much higher GDP per Capita than Nigeria. Do you see the importance now.
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by chukxie(m): 1:37pm On Feb 15, 2015
BluIvy:

How is it another Zimbabwe? Land redistribution is in our constitution and has been going on since the dawn of democracy.

And foreigners can not own land in South Africa but can lease it which is a standard operation everywhere in the world.

Well if you say so. SA is a pride to Africa and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't like to see it become another Zimbabwe. Cheers to you guys!
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by seppuku: 5:05pm On Feb 15, 2015
BluIvy:
Zuma curbs foreign land rights
Published on 15 February 2015
Foreigners will be barred from owning land in South Africa and no individual will be able to own more than 12,000 hectares, the equivalent of two farms, under legislation currently in the works, President Jacob Zuma said yesterday.
Giving more details of a Land Holdings Bill announced last week in a State of the Nation address, Zuma said foreign individuals and companies would be restricted to long-term leases of between 30 and 50 years.
If any South Africans owned more than 12,000 hectares, the excess would be liable for seizure by the state, Zuma said, in comments that are likely to upset the large -and still predominantly white-owned -commercial farming sector.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/world-news/zuma-curbs-foreign-land-rights.118498948

So what is our business. Is it not your land??

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Appleyard(m): 5:27pm On Feb 15, 2015
chukxie:

Exactly what i wanted to say. But what is the rationale behind this legislation?
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by UyiIredia(m): 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2015
BluIvy:

FACT: SA has the strongest economy and better yet a much higher GDP per Capita than Nigeria. Do you see the importance now.

And yet, there is still Soweto.
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
UyiIredia:

And yet, there is still Soweto.

What comes to your mind when you think of Soweto?
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by UyiIredia(m): 6:09pm On Feb 15, 2015
TickTickBoom:

What comes to your mind when you think of Soweto?

Poverty.
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 6:25pm On Feb 15, 2015
UyiIredia:

Poverty.

Ok but have you actually SEEN Soweto?
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 15, 2015
Different "faces" of Soweto. .

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
Soweto

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by barwaaqo: 12:58am On Feb 16, 2015
That's great and will they still be allowed to lease land for 100 years at a time
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by UyiIredia(m): 2:27am On Feb 16, 2015
TickTickBoom:

Ok but have you actually SEEN Soweto?

On TV, yes.
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 16, 2015
barwaaqo:
That's great and will they still be allowed to lease land for 100 years at a time

Only for 30 to 50 years. Sorry no 100 years leases. tongue
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by 14(m): 10:14pm On Feb 16, 2015
BluIvy:

Puleeeeze! Please stop with this useless GDP story. By now it might have shrunk by 50% because your economy is trouble abduction the naira is going the Zimbabwean dollar way.

Now tell me who would want to invest in such an environment?

I have never seen USA going to Brazil asking for Brazilian companies to invest in America or USA going to raise money in India. Thats what Nigeria does, They beg SA companies to come and invest in Nigeria, They go to SA to raise money due to Nigeria bad liquidity. Most of Nigeria's infrastructure is being financed by SA money.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by 14(m): 10:18pm On Feb 16, 2015
Appleyard:

Exactly what i wanted to say. But what is the rationale behind this legislation?

The retionale behind this legislation is to make sure that South Africa does not end up being owned by foreigners, while the locals own nothing. You just dont understand the rate at which Europeans are buying Land in SA, it might be problamatic in the future. Go to Europe and ry to buy piece of land and see whether those Europeans will allow you.
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by 14(m): 10:41pm On Feb 16, 2015
UyiIredia:

On TV, yes.

maybe you need to check out this site, you will go street by street in Soweto, tell us if you see a road that is not tarred. Soweto is probably developed more than lagos, soweto has more traffic lights than the whole of lagos. Check this site;
http://www.vpike.com/?ci=953781&country=ZA
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 1:36am On Feb 17, 2015
14:

maybe you need to check out this site, you will go street by street in Soweto, tell us if you see a road that is not tarred. Soweto is probably developed more than lagos, soweto has more traffic lights than the whole of lagos. Check this site;
http://www.vpike.com/?ci=953781&country=ZA
I think comparing a settlement like Soweto to the biggest city on the continent is rather ignorant. I know 'estates' in Lagos that are bigger, if not, doubles Soweto in land size, let alone development and aesthetics.
Google the keyword 'Banana island lagos', (featured on Forbes recently), 'lekki', amongst others...

Sharing pics of ports, skylines and architectural masterpieces would be like bringing a gun to a knife fight.

soweto has a long way to go mate, and I'm glad you used 'probably' in your sentence.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 2:46am On Feb 17, 2015
14:

I have never seen USA going to Brazil asking for Brazilian companies to invest in America or USA going to raise money in India. Thats what Nigeria does, They beg SA companies to come and invest in Nigeria, They go to SA to raise money due to Nigeria bad liquidity. Most of Nigeria's infrastructure is being financed by SA money.
you're the most ignorant fellow I've encountered on cyberspace . What infrastructure is being financed by SA money? Electricity? Roads? Trains? Hospitals? Airports? please elaborate .
We have Nigerians investing in your economy as well doesn't mean they're financing infrastructure dumbo.
Next time, I think you open a thread. This misinformation inbetween comments is rather preposterous to say the least.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by itstpia8: 5:57am On Feb 17, 2015
14:

isn't it the other way round?
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by itstpia8: 5:58am On Feb 17, 2015
@ topic

do foreigners currently own land in SA?
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by sostoz(m): 9:46am On Feb 17, 2015
only productive land is not allowed to b sold to europeans not property or business property....lol another nigeria sa thang....soweto is not a slum brother its a very beatiful black town it host africas biggest hospital an mall...nigeria gdp growing fast thats a gud thing and doesnt mean sa is going down we still enjoy per capiter....nigeria has the richest ppl in it but thier wealth is spent in RSA and europe. the most contributing factor to ur gdp is nollywood and ur black market and u a INDIVIDUALIST nation RSA is a "WE" orietated nation dats y u dnt c our richest ppl buying private jets, showing off, going to europe for status. so i dnt c anything with both counties i dnt know y RIVAL about each country.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by sostoz(m): 9:56am On Feb 17, 2015
yep
by itstpia8: 5:58am
@ topic
do foreigners currently own land in SA? every nation is obsessed with sa we have every group of ppl. italians community business and thier food greece community and thier business portugues, germans americans ans asians criminals syndycates businesses, soviets, economic immigrants africans nigerians in abunance... tjooooo

its mostly English foreigners owning holiday houses and ur corupt leaders embezzle in nigeria and spend thier monies here with sa gals.
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 17, 2015
sostoz:
yep
@ topic
do foreigners currently own land in SA? every nation is obsessed with sa we have every group of ppl. italians community business and thier food greece community and thier business portugues, germans americans ans asians criminals syndycates businesses, soviets, economic immigrants africans nigerians in abunance... tjooooo

its mostly English foreigners owning holiday houses and ur corupt leaders embezzle in nigeria and spend thier monies here with sa gals.

south Africans are so ignorant and its profound .. who told you only Nigerian politicians buy land in SA?
do you know how many Nigerian businessmen and women from Oil, Telecoms and retail that have properties in SA? personally I know a few Nigerians here that bought lands and built brick by brick... you guys eh?

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by morpheus24: 4:05pm On Feb 17, 2015
sostoz:
yep
@ topic
The above is a result of bantu education that doesn't take the world into account and the obvious results of living in a microcosm.

All the communities you mentioned above pretty much exist in any nation that was founded on Capitalist, Western style democracies. That's why your government is trying to pass this law cause you keep thinking you run SOUTH AFRICA.

Go back to school.
Re: Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa by morpheus24: 4:09pm On Feb 17, 2015
iterator24:
south Africans are so ignorant and its profound .. who told you only Nigerian politicians buy land in SA?
do you know how many Nigerian businessmen and women from Oil, Telecoms and retail that have properties in SA? personally I know a few Nigerians here that bought lands and built brick by brick... you guys eh?

Bros, I no blame them, when you see Nigerian hustlers in SA , you will believe they represent over 150 million people who live in the country.

I blame bantu education. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Power Outages To Worsen In Ghana As Nigeria Stops Gas Supply / Ghana GDP Growth Accelerates To 23% / Marieme Sall, Senegal's First Black First Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.