Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,059 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? (4684 Views)

Child Adoption Process In Nigeria / 11-Year-Old Boy Maltreated By Stepmum: See The Highest Order Of Child Abuse / Child Adoption In Nigeria. Pls Help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Daniel058(m): 11:45am On Feb 15, 2015
The stories making frontpage these days made me wonder if there is at all any legal way of Child Adoption.. People spend as high as 250k to buy a stolen child . So my question here are "IS THERE NO LEGAL MEANS OF ADOPTION?? AND IF THERE IS, WHAT COULD BE THE POSSIBLE COST? ....... i would to hear from you reading this post.. THANKS
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Nobody: 11:50am On Feb 15, 2015
Are you interested in adopting one?
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Daniel058(m): 11:57am On Feb 15, 2015
Aprime:
Are you interested in adopting one?
in Future by his [GOD] grace... But i be single guy ooo
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Mynd44: 12:52pm On Feb 15, 2015
There are...in Lagos at least but the procedure is strict and you can't travel with the child

1 Like

Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by i1: 7:07pm On Feb 15, 2015
@mynd444 very true costly and cumbersome
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by dominique(f): 8:33pm On Feb 15, 2015
The procedure is energy, money and time consuming and most of the couples are disqualified eventually. Sadly that's why some couples eventually go the baby factory route.
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by bebe2(f): 8:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
Mynd44:
There are...in Lagos at least but the procedure is strict and you can't travel with the child

it all this strict conditions dats frustrating.

my best friend is trying to adopt, she lives in london.

we have called an orphanage in benin city and they advised that it takes time,

and they need the husband too.

now two of them are leaving work to naija in april just to fill forms and get the process started.

i advised her to save big becos this is going to cost money.

i just hope they get their heart desire.
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Mynd44: 9:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
bebe2:

it all this strict conditions dats frustrating.

my best friend is trying to adopt, she lives in london.

we have called an orphanage in benin city and they advised that it takes time,

and they need the husband too.

now two of them are leaving work to naija in april just to fill forms and get the process started.

i advised her to save big becos this is going to cost money.

i just hope they get their heart desire.
Problem is that I doubt you can travel abroad with the child even after you adopt the child. This is the law in Lagos and they insist on regular unscheduled visitations. Edo might be different though
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by bebe2(f): 9:04pm On Feb 15, 2015
Mynd44:

Problem is that I doubt you can travel abroad with the child even after you adopt the child. This is the law in Lagos and they insist on regular unscheduled visitations. Edo might be different though

hiannn,

shey na to adopt chinese pikin be dat nahh,

i tire oo
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Mynd44: 9:08pm On Feb 15, 2015
bebe2:

hiannn,

shey na to adopt chinese pikin be dat nahh,

i tire oo
They can get a lawyer send them the details before coming down so as not to be surprised.
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by bebe2(f): 9:16pm On Feb 15, 2015
Mynd44:

They can get a lawyer send them the details before coming down so as not to be surprised.

ok, will tell her. tnx

will keep an eye on this page.
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Mynd44: 9:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
bebe2:

ok, will tell her. tnx

will keep an eye on this page.
The thing is to have people here do the ground work and ask around first else their trip will be in vain.

If they want to do in Lagos, they must be residents. That is not up for argument. Edo will also have laws too.

And for people say it it too strict, it is because of abuse cases and people doing rituals that they have these laws. The government don't wanna be handing kids to crazy people disguised as parents
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by amokeme(f): 11:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
My mum wants to adopt a child, so my friend told me her mum could help cause she has a friend who is into the "business" i was even happy sef.. after exchanging numbers and all that, the woman called to ask my mum what she wanted, my mum told her she wanted a girl btwn the age of 1-2yrs old. Three days after she called to tell my mum that "someone just delivered a baby boy and he is up for adoption if she wants him she should pay 650k and come to delta state for the child" my mum said just like that? She said yes. My mum told her she was not interested again. So here in Nigeria they actually sell children and use "adoption" as a cover up name

2 Likes

Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by bebe2(f): 11:36pm On Feb 15, 2015
Mynd44:

The thing is to have people here do the ground work and ask around first else their trip will be in vain.

If they want to do in Lagos, they must be residents. That is not up for argument. Edo will also have laws too.

And for people say it it too strict, it is because of abuse cases and people doing rituals that they have these laws. The government don't wanna be handing kids to crazy people disguised as parents

But Dats d problem , they are citizens not residents.
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by bebe2(f): 11:40pm On Feb 15, 2015
amokeme:
My mum wants to adopt a child, so my friend told me her mum could help cause she has a friend who is into the "business" i was even happy sef.. after exchanging numbers and all that, the woman called to ask my mum what she wanted, my mum told her she wanted a girl btwn the age of 1-2yrs old. Three days after she called to tell my mum that "someone just delivered a baby boy and he is up for adoption if she wants him she should pay 650k and come to delta state for the child" my mum said just like that? She said yes. My mum told her she was not interested again. So here in Nigeria they actually sell children and use "adoption" as a cover up name

Yea, U can have raise d child in Nigeria but u can't take him out of the country.
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Mynd44: 11:43pm On Feb 15, 2015
bebe2:

But Dats d problem , they are citizens not residents.
But how will the government be sure these people mean well. I am sure your people do and you can vouch for them and all but you can't just hand kids over to strangers.

You have to follow up, background search etc. Nigerians have a history of being mean to kids that are not related to them by blood you know.

We have heard cases where a couple who had issues getting a child adopted one, they lived that child untilbthe got "theirs" 3 years later and they turned the adoptes child into a househelp and the love went south
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by amokeme(f): 11:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
bebe2:

Yea, U can have raise d child in Nigeria but u can't take him out of the country.
we stay here in Nigeria.. The problem my mum had with it was that, no legal backing at all. Just like she was buying the child and she wasn't cool with the idea
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Daniel058(m): 11:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
amokeme:
Hmmm I fear ooooooo
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 21, 2015
Mynd44,so one can't travel out with d adopted kid?
If at that time u happen to get work outside the country,what will u do?
Does the process take up to one yr?

Ebi like say e no go work.
My friend want to adopt a baby gal and she is not based here.
Make she adopt where she is abi all no be children.

1 Like

Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 21, 2015
Coming here to learn.
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by stonecoldcafe: 8:46am On Feb 21, 2015
Very insightful thread

1 Like

Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by dominique(f): 11:04am On Feb 21, 2015
moca:

I think it's for the first five years that one cannot travel with the baby. Social workers will be paying random visits from time to time to check the welfare of the child. If adoption procedure is not as stiff as ours where your friend is. Then she should adopt over there
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Feb 21, 2015
dominique:

I think it's for the first five years that one cannot travel with the baby. Social workers will be paying random visits from time to time to check the welfare of the child. If adoption procedure is not as stiff as ours where your friend is. Then she should adopt over there
5what? shocked

Dead on arrival.
Oh,she will be heartbroken.
Thank a lot dear for d explanation.

Even me,i hv it at d back of my mind to adopt. In d near future.
D zeal has automatically died with this.
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Mynd44: 2:30am On Feb 25, 2015
moca:

I think that question has been answered here. I dont know the time frame but I know a woman who adopted a child and then needed to travel outside the country for a while. The child was left with her mother while she paid visits to Nigeria.

I don't know why you fault these rules sef. It is for the good of the child
Re: Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 25, 2015
Mynd44:

I think that question has been answered here. I dont know the time frame but I know a woman who adopted a child and then needed to travel outside the country for a while. The child was left with her mother while she paid visits to Nigeria.

I don't know why you fault these rules sef. It is for the good of the child
Thank u.
I don't have problem with d strick rules considering how things operate here.
Just that d person will not be in nigeria by the time everything is settled. No parents/anybody to hand over the kid to.
But thanks all d same.
I now have an insight unlike before.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help A Faithful Wife In great Pains: / How Do I Handle A Cheating Husband / When Your Joy Is Not Complete

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.