Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,642 members, 7,823,824 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

The Internet Might Never Be The Same Again If We Don't Save It Today! - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / The Internet Might Never Be The Same Again If We Don't Save It Today! (726 Views)

Top 10 Biggest Forums On The Internet And What They Earn N03 Will Shock You / The Internet Of Things (iot) And What About AFRICA? / 15 Cool Things You Can Do On The Internet For Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Internet Might Never Be The Same Again If We Don't Save It Today! by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
NOTE: this article was 100% written by me! READ CAREFULLY

Link to my blog post: http://www.idealtechspot.com/2015/02/help-save-internet-lets-preserve-net.html

Its finally happening... The internet we all love.. the internet we all run to when when we are lonely and need someone to talk to, the internet that students surf for hours looking for that one correct answer to their lecturer's assignment when they have no idea what he was talking about in class earlier today, the internet we run through when we want to shop but too lazy to catch a taxi and go to the market (need I mention more uses of the internet? you should know since you are reading this) .

Yes The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) is seriously considering grounding the basic thing that makes the internet a fun place to be... the basic principle of "Net Neutrality" before we go further let me tell us what "Net Neutrality" is and why its very important to preserve it!

So what is this "Net Neutrality"?? I am not going to go deep technically into what "Net Neutrality" means. But I am just going to explain it in a Lyman's term. Ok "Net Neutrality" simply means "Freedom on the internet" Yes! freedom.. it is what allows everything on the internet to be seen as the same and equal! It simply means ALL DATA ON THE INTERNET MUST BE TREATED EQUALLY no matter who creates it. No preference given to any brand or any company. Its what allows STARTUPS go on the internet and make their brands surpass already existing brands (in the case of Facebook surpassing Myspace). It is what allows anybody to go on the internet and post whatever on the internet without having to pay HUGE fees.

But the internet as we all know it is about to change (if we allow it) as the FCC Few days ago has agreed to move forward the proposal of Grounding "Net Neutrality" which will open the door for the first time for internet providers like COMCAST, VERIZON, AT&T etc. to charge tech companies to send contents to consumers more quickly.. that sounds wonderful right?? WRONG! this new development if ever allowed will not encourage competition in the tech business as new startup companies might not be able to pay the Huge fees which ISPs will charge and even these ISPs and cable companies over the time are known for their HIGH PRICES and POOR services.

In a nutshell, this is what grounding "Net Neutrality" will do to our beloved internet

1.Cable companies and ISPs that are famous for high prices and poor service will control the internet
2. No more competition between tech companies
3.Hugh fees will be charged for you to use the internet
4.Startup companies might not be able to pay these fees hence would crash
5.Sites that refuse to pay the fees would crawl (slow)
6.The internet will never remain thesame

So are we (Internet Users) going to allow this happen to our beloved Internet and our only refuge?? NO!

If you believe in free and open Internet, with no arbitrary fees or slow lanes for sites that can't pay. all of the people, companies, and organizations below have taken a stand and say NO to the FCC
[img]http://4.bp..com/-VeoE6Of_F1M/VOCoSxHZY1I/AAAAAAAAAVM/A38nlVVGez0/s1600/net%2Bneutrality.jpg[/img]

Click below to VOTE today

https://www.battleforthenet.com

or click here to pass through my blog [read the full article]
http://www.idealtechspot.com/2015/02/help-save-internet-lets-preserve-net.html

(1) (Reply)

Mint Usa Used Ipad 3 32gb Wifi And Cellular For Sale In Abuja 58k last / EMPOWERMENT 4 LIFE! Solar/inverter/cctv Training/ Buy All Solar Products...pics! / Sleek Acer V5 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.