Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,292 members, 7,836,281 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? (1350 Views)

Six Signs Of A Failing Car Battery / 6 Symptoms Of A Failing Alternator / Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2015
I think its because most people think the signs dont show all at once. Or is the normal naija mentality. ''Its not a big deal''
what do you think?
Re: Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:12pm On Feb 15, 2015
That battery matter de taya me sometimes, I once travelled from bauchi to maduguri 4hr trip nonstop, on getting there I entered a petrol station to fill up, turned off the car filled up, paid entered my vehicle turned on ignition and there was no sign of battery power shocked I thought the battery terminals had lost contact with the battery, so I opened the bonnet to check, opening bonnet all the contacts were intact, nah so I climb bike go buy battery 10k! Meanwhile b4 the trip my battery had never shown signs of weakness, I sure say nah my village people kill that battery. angry

9 Likes

Re: Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? by issy1500: 8:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
I sure say nah my village people kill that battery. angry

Lollllllzzz
Re: Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? by Kashif(m): 9:52pm On Feb 17, 2015
The signs will always be there. Watch out for sluggish cranking. Lights a little dim at engine idle. Wiper and AC blower slowing down at engine idle, etc.

My battery has never died on me. I would get a new one and put in the booth when these signs show up. The thing dies about two weeks after. Just be a little more observant.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? by blackfm: 9:03pm On Feb 25, 2015
Kashif:
The signs will always be there. Watch out for sluggish cranking. Lights a little dim at engine idle. Wiper and AC blower slowing down at engine idle, etc.

My battery has never died on me. I would get a new one and put in the booth when these signs show up. The thing dies about two weeks after. Just be a little more observant.
Omo my battery screw me yday. The old one I had had been giving me signs it was gonna pack up so I got a new one and put it in d trunk. It eventually gave up on Friday and I switched to the new one
Coming from work yesterday, the car just die 4 middle of road, thank God it wasn't express. Turns out the guys that pressure washed my engine had cut one of my alternator wires on Sunday and I didn't know.
One sharp cab driver quickly used his battery to start my car and claimed his 1k sharply! No time
Re: Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? by Ricmayak1: 7:25am On Feb 27, 2015
Dying batteries are not noticed during cranking on modern cars because during startup, timing is retarded. Due to this, new cars don't crank up immediately like old ones. It makes it difficult to know when a battery is dying because the battery will be able to start car within that period of retarded cranking.
Regards.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? by earthrealm(m): 1:02pm On Mar 04, 2015
Its hard to spot a dying battery on a mordern car that is driven daily.

But if not driven for 3 to 5 days.....u will notice sluggisg cranking while starting...

Apart from that only an ultraguage .scanguage or probablly a torque app connected permanently on ur obd port and displays batt voltage will tell you ur batt is going south..

Fortunately i have such and when i noticed my batt viltage d4op to 7.3v during cranking...i knew that th e batt was gone...i simply made sure my self powered handy batt jumper was fully charged..n 6 weeks later.went out..and came out to go home car cranked but cudnt start..hooked th e jumper and car started....managed th e batt for 2 more weeks b4 changing it.

Note .. make sure u buy a batt with th e correct cca and rca...gone r the days when batt was bought based on 65amp or 75amp etc
Re: Why Does A Failing Car Battery Catch People Unawares? by earthrealm(m): 1:05pm On Mar 04, 2015
Sry..enough typos.
na my fone

(1) (Reply)

Please Who Knows About ATF For Volkswagen / Replacing Valve Cover Seal Bmw 318 E46 / Car Stalling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.