Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,311 members, 7,819,058 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? (1440 Views)

Would You Marry A Man Like Your Dad? See Replies Girls Gave / 11 Harmful Lies Your Mind Loves To Tell You / Some "Lies" Our Parents Used To Tell Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Royver(m): 1:53am On Feb 17, 2015
It is common practice among nigerian doctors to delay telling the patient or their relatives about a life threathening diagnosis until the very last moment. Most doctors can usually see the end of an illness very early on but would rather tarry and 'manage' the patient until he/she gives up the ghost. The reason being that:
1. Most patients, when told the truth of thier condition either
(a) lose hope completely and simply go home to die, or
(b) lose hope in the medical system entirely and run to churches or herbal homes, where they eventually also die.

2. There have been cases where relatives are given a diagnosis and they abandon the patient in the care of the hospital only to return after the patient has passed on. then they wail and cry and carry the body away without paying the bills(and nobody will stop them so as not to be termed 'insensitive'.)

There is a relatively new teaching where it is being advocated that patients shold be told bad news from the onset. This is how it is done in western societies with the prognosis and chances for survival clearly outlined for the patient. This allows the patient to 'tidy up' his life's affairs, write a will if necessary, say goodbye to loved ones etc etc. This system has aready been put into use in some hospitals and although success stories have been recorded, the vast majority of the nigerian populace stil has a tendency to scream "IT is NOT my portion!!!" and run away from medication that would have prolonged their lives significantly or even provide a cure, only to return months later in very bad shape and usually when the doctor can no longer do anything to help.

What is you opinion? Would you like your doctor to tell you the whole truth? Or simply treat you as best as he can for as long as he can without disclosing the severity of the illness to you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by KanwuliaJara: 3:39am On Feb 17, 2015
It is common practice among nigerian doctors to delay telling the patient or their relatives about a life threathening diagnosis until the very last moment.

Nigerian native doctors playing 'god' as usual! undecided
Phocking dummies!

Wasting the much needed time for patients to put their affairs in order and plan with their families. undecided
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Nobody: 6:43am On Feb 17, 2015
I want the whole truth...nothing but the whole truth. I feel it is so much better to be ontop of ones situation no matter how bleak it looks.
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Nobody: 7:04am On Feb 17, 2015
It was recently that I found out that in the Nigerian medical system, everyone who doesnt need to know, knows about the illness except the person who the matter actually partains to ie the patient

It is wrong. Patients are not stuppid and have a right to know whats wrong with them so they can get ready and tidy up affairs if need be

It not the doctors right to decide or prevent people from knowing what happening to their own bodies/lives.
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by jaybee3(m): 7:13am On Feb 17, 2015
chaircover:
It was recently that I found out that in the Nigerian medical system, everyone who doesnt need to know, knows about the illness except the person who the matter actually partains to ie the patient

It is wrong. Patients are not stuppid and have a right to know whats wrong with them so they can get ready and tidy up affairs if need be

It not the doctors right to decide or prevent people from knowing what happening to their own bodies/lives.
What if they aren't trained on how to deliver such news?
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 17, 2015
jaybee3:

angry
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Royver(m): 9:07am On Feb 17, 2015
chaircover:

Noted.

Doctors do not necessarily prevent patients from knowing, but it has been a common experience that when they are told their condition they tend to stop medication and go to prayer houses or herbal treatment only to return much worse. In many cases the patient is even told the problem but refuses to inform his relatives for fear of abandonment.
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Royver(m): 9:15am On Feb 17, 2015
jaybee3:

I remember a case of a guy who came with HIV. The young doc had been seeing patients all day and was tired and irritable. He just opened the man's result and went: "oga you have HIV, move to ward B for counselling and treatment. Oya next patient!"

The man sat there, blank. Then he stood up and walked out the office and suddenly collapsed on the floor. He died before anything could be done.

Most docs actually don't know there is a protocol for breaking bad news. But all that is changing sha. The doc in question was so remorseful he went to study how to break bad news. He teaches younger docs now on the same technique.
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 17, 2015
Royver:

Noted.

Doctors do not necessarily prevent patients from knowing, but it has been a common experience that when they are told their condition they tend to stop medication and go to prayer houses or herbal treatment only to return much worse. In many cases the patient is even told the problem but refuses to inform his relatives for fear of abandonment.

I just think that its just the general way of doing things
Even simple illnesses are not explained in a way that the patient will understand and with crucial information missing
and when you ask questions they look at you funny. I had that when a doctor immediately commenced malaria treatment on my child who presented with a temp and had arrived in the country only 24 hours before and I questioned it. I asked him the incubation period for malaria and he wasnt happy with my questions.
Not all patents will run to prayer houses and not all patients will be abandoned . .
Not all patients are stuupid and this is the mistake that a lot of doctors make. At least try to explain first.
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by jaybee3(m): 9:30am On Feb 17, 2015
Royver:

I remember a case of a guy who came with HIV. The young doc had been seeing patients all day and was tired and irritable. He just opened the man's result and went: "oga you have HIV, move to ward B for counselling and treatment. Oya next patient!"

The man sat there, blank. Then he stood up and walked out the office and suddenly collapsed on the floor. He died before anything could be done.

Most docs actually don't know there is a protocol for breaking bad news. But all that is changing sha. The doc in question was so remorseful he went to study how to break bad news. He teaches younger docs now on the same technique.

Exactly Doc.. You are bang on point

Most serious organisations usually provide profesional communication courses to their staff. Effective communication is a major driver of growth cos how else do you sell your strategy if you can't communicate them effectively.

1 Like

Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 17, 2015
Royver:

Thats good. I am glad that some doctors are taking this seriously.
I know that sometimes dorctors are overworked and under a lot of stress, but every patient that sits in front of them is a human being; worried, apprehensive and looking up to the doctor for support.
Someone I know had some very bad news broken to her in the doctors office very abruptly and the doctor got up and left. She said that for a second she thought about jumping through the open window before her senses came back to her.
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by jaybee3(m): 9:52am On Feb 17, 2015
@ Dr Chaircover

how are ya?
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by rabimlomo: 11:02am On Feb 17, 2015
chaircover:

I just think that its just the general way of doing things
Even simple illnesses are not explained in a way that the patient will understand and with crucial information missing
and when you ask questions they look at you funny. I had that when a doctor immediately commenced malaria treatment on my child who presented with a temp and had arrived in the country only 24 hours before and I questioned it. I asked him the incubation period for malaria and he wasnt happy with my questions.
Not all patents will run to prayer houses and not all patients will be abandoned . .
Not all patients are stuupid and this is the mistake that a lot of doctors make. At least try to explain first.
I agree with this. I think most Nigerian doctors are either arrogant or lack confidence. Some will even be annoyed if you ask him what drugs he wrote for you. I have experienced it severally. They will never tell you what ailment you have, even if it is just malaria. And the get angry if you ask.
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Creamish(f): 11:04am On Feb 17, 2015
Personally, I'd rather know exactly what is going on. If its a terminal illness, there shuld b provision made for counseling.

The manner with which the message is passed goes a long way to determine the reaction of the patient in most cases.

Everyone does not respond to issues the same way so naturally, a variation in reaction is expected. The possibility of a negative reaction isn't enuff reason to decide to withhold information on a general basis. I believe everyone is entitled to know what they are faced with so as to be better prepared however they see fit.

On the issue of absconding without payment, I believe the management of the hospital should put in place a means to checkmate it/ensure no loss on their part. Get the family to sign off a legal doc on payment after detailed treatment/ Guarantor/watever. That way, they can be sued if there is a default...instead of withholding information.
Re: Would You Like Your Doctor To Tell You The Whole Truth? by Lawconfessor(f): 1:01pm On Feb 17, 2015
Doctors are reluctant to tell the truth to patients but certainly, i dont think this is the right approach.

It is the patient's right to know their actual prognosis.
Right to make informed decision about their healthcare.
Right to know they have an incurable illness.
Also need to know their illness trajectory.

It is far better for them to have a clear understanding of their situation, so they can face the treatment positively.

Though "HOW To Tell Them n HOW Much They Want To Know?" could be a problem.
Effective communication, open discussion and sharing between family members will go a long way to help relieve their anxieties and worries.

My2cent.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Couple Who Couldn’t Afford House Rent.convert Old Sch.bus Into A Beautiful Home / Why You Have Strands Of WHITE HAIRS On Your Hair. / I Need Your Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.