Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts (51182 Views)

CBN Introduces New FOREX Rates, Dollar Now N360 For "Invisibles" / CBN Introduces New Charges On Bank Deposits And Withdrawals / CBN Introduces New Charges On ATM Cards, Cheques (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Adesiji77: 11:15am On Feb 18, 2015
ikorodureporta:

Part of the objectives of the policy, according to the CBN, is to ensure that dormant account funds are identified and channelled through appropriate institutions to make them more productive to the economy and eliminate the possibility of banks converting dormant account balances to income.

CBN did not say that commercial banks are converting dormant account balances to income. There is no need to 'demonize' these banks as if it is a usual practice to do same.

Besides, you can hardly blame the banks for dormant accounts; a lot of factors contribute to dormancy that may be beyond a bank's control.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Kx: 11:19am On Feb 18, 2015
Creamish:

It shuldn't be on the 1st withdrawal. Go thru ur statement properly. U have a right as a customer to contest it as it is against the CBN policy.

I spoke from what I have personally experienced with gtb atm over the last 3days.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Creamish(f): 11:23am On Feb 18, 2015
Kx:

I spoke from what I have personally experienced with gtb atm over the last 3days.

Then you shuld take it up with the Head of Operations of your bank at any branch close to u.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by ednoville(m): 11:31am On Feb 18, 2015
Rajjah:
Pls also help me beg cbn to help me beg Ecobank to stop sendin me mssgs. I aint bankin wit dem

LOL. That's true even unity bank just started that shllt I've never opened account with them and my next generation aren't planning to
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by 12ema: 11:57am On Feb 18, 2015
Optimisticgondy:
Please someone should tell me what I don't know o. A sister is abroad and
I went to deposit money into her GTB account but she couldn't withdraw this money thru ATM as her balance was showing 0 naira. I went to make complaint at her bank only to be told that her account had become dormant. Up till now, she's still abroad and we believe the money will be in the account. Are you telling me this money I went to deposit when her account was dormant won't be credited to her account?

Someone pls explain to me o.

Dormant accounts can be tricky. To GTB, it is same as the account being closed. Your sister needs to physically show up at the bank to re open the account. I hope that helps. What confuses me is the amount you deposited should not have been accepted in the first place.

1 Like

Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Revolva(m): 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2015
Hhaha i don dey pray make dem take my diamond bank account...since..jare
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Optimisticgondy(m): 12:49pm On Feb 18, 2015
Creamish:

Hi,

If the money is not in her account, there is a warehouse where it will be kept pending when the account is reactivated. Your money is not lost. I want to believe that you still have your copy of the deposit slip you used to make the deposit? There are 2 options u may want to explore here:

1. Request for a refund of your deposit since it is yet to be posted. Go along with ur valid ID and your copy of the deposit slip. When refunded, credit any active account she has (hoping she has a mastercard linked to that account).

2. There must be a way for the account to be reactivated even while she is abroad. It can be routed through the bank's contact center. A copy of the reactivation docs will be forwarded to her to be filled and signed and the account will be reactivated (if all other reqs are made available..depending on the type of account nwayz)

U need to engage the Manager on this. No need to panic. wink.
Thanks Sister.. Its over a year now and i still have the teller with me; the money was sent when she first entered and needed some change. There's no GTB branch in the country she is.

12ema:

Dormant accounts can be tricky. To GTB, it is same as the account being closed. Your sister needs to physically show up at the bank to re open the account. I hope that helps. What confuses me is the amount you deposited should not have been accepted in the first place.
Thanks Boss
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by whizqueen(f): 1:02pm On Feb 18, 2015
boofydon:
Are you a banker? Your moniker looks familiar, have we met? undecided
Question for the gods undecided
Creamish:

Ul be surprised. Some run into hundreds of millions.
am sure it will be a few of them
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Creamish(f): 1:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
Optimisticgondy:
Thanks Sister.. Its over a year now and i still have the teller with me; the money was sent when she first entered and needed some change. There's no GTB branch in the country she is.

I know there wont be a GTB where she is cos she is abroad. She can communicate with the contact center via email. U need to get the email addy of GTB contact center and send it to her so she can write them. They will respond to her with an advice on the way forward.

Even after 1 year, your money is not lost.

Then again...it all depends on the Standard Operating Procedure of GTB..
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Solomon30: 1:08pm On Feb 18, 2015
A welcome development protecting the interest of customers.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by boofydon: 1:48pm On Feb 18, 2015
whizqueen:

Question for the gods undecided
That's rude madam. My question was asked with a benign mind. I'm not ready to engage you in any e-war madam
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by whizqueen(f): 2:06pm On Feb 18, 2015
boofydon:

That's rude madam. My question was asked with a benign mind. I'm not ready to engage you in any e-war madam
boade lemmie alone oooooo grin cheesy
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by boofydon: 2:15pm On Feb 18, 2015
whizqueen:

boade lemmie alone oooooo grin cheesy
so its u BB cheesy grin. I no know na cheesy Make sure we see under the mango tree today tongue
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by rexzqcom(m): 2:17pm On Feb 18, 2015
First time hearing president Jonathan talk extensively. Rate him fair. Was informative but monotonous to excessive degree.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by modestdude(m): 2:20pm On Feb 18, 2015
tola9ja:
[size=19pt]jonathan the real sponsor of boko haram [/size]

evidence-: presidential media

journalist-: did you think the abducted chibok girls will return alive

jonathan-: of course we'll recover them alive [size=19pt]THERE IS NO PLAN TO KILL THE GIRLS[/size]

HE MISTAKENLY REVEAL THE PLAN THEY MAKE SECRETLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZmGtSvbLk
Illiteracy is a disease..Olorun.

WE WILL RECOVER THEM ALIVE AND THERE IS NO PLAN TO KILL THEM, implies that the Multinational Joint task force will recover the Chibok girls and the shelling and air raiding plan of the MNJTF didnt make provision for any collateral damage which ultimately would be the killing of the Chibok girls along with the insurgents during the air raids.

Read your books and stop fooling around on Nairaland. Ode

1 Like

Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by whizqueen(f): 2:20pm On Feb 18, 2015
boofydon:
so its u BB cheesy grin. I no know na cheesy Make sure we see under the mango tree today tongue
no lets make it banana tree this timecheesy
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Emeka71(m): 2:44pm On Feb 18, 2015
All these useless banks; they accept deposit but when you want to withdraw, they tell you the account is dormant.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Beerem: 3:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
There should be no dormant account at all.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by ikorodureporta: 3:50pm On Feb 18, 2015
OH!!! grin MY FIRST F.P. MOMENT grin

Ash Wednesday Blessing!

grin cheesy tongue
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by sunsky29(m): 4:02pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ebubeslym:
Make I kukuma run go withdraw the remaining N2000 wey I leave for one yeye bank account before this pipo turn am to bank money.
even me mk I do go withdraw my remaining 1k frm enterprise bank bfr dem turn am to income
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by tomzman: 4:04pm On Feb 18, 2015
Good policy
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Austin234(m): 5:29pm On Feb 18, 2015
Gud development. At least regard shud be given to clients on what remains of their dormant account
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by rhames(m): 7:04pm On Feb 18, 2015
ikorodureporta:
The Central Bank of Nigeria has introduced new guidelines for the treatment and management of dormant account balances by deposit-taking financial institutions.

Part of the objectives of the policy, according to the CBN, is to ensure that dormant account funds are identified and channelled through appropriate institutions to make them more productive to the economy and eliminate the possibility of banks converting dormant account balances to income.

The bank, in a circular released signed by its Director, Financial Policy and Regulation Department, Mr. Kevin Amugo, on Tuesday, stated that the absence of clear guidelines for the management of dormant accounts had resulted in the disproportionate treatment of such account balances by deposit-taking financial institutions.

This, it noted, was generating concern among bank account holders, regulators and other stakeholders.

It said representations received by the CBN from stakeholders on the subject highlighted the need for the bank to develop a regulatory framework for the management of dormant accounts for the benefit of the banking system and the Nigerian economy.

The directive stated, “It is in view of the above and the imperative to promote transparency in the financial system that the CBN hereby issues these guidelines to provide a standard for the treatment and management of dormant account balances in Nigeria.

“The purpose of the policy is to curb possible abuse in the operation of dormant accounts, set operational standards for banks and other financial institutions in line with best practice, and to reinforce the property rights as guaranteed in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

“A dormant account shall be a bank account that has no customer or depositor originated transaction within a specified period of six years after the last customer or depositor initiated a transaction. However, such an account shall be recognised as inactive after the first six months of non-depositor or customer originated transaction in it.”

The CBN also said, “Accounts shall retain their interest earning status during the period of dormancy in the bank. Deposit-taking financial institutions shall continue to monitor accounts that show tendencies of inactivity and where necessary, initiate actions for their activation or protection from wrong usage.

“Once dormant accounts exceed a six-year period, they shall be reported to the CBN along with efforts made by the obligor bank to locate the owners or their personal representatives.”

The CBN stated that three months to the end of the six years, both the account holder and the next-of-kin would be notified, adding that revalidation of inactive/dormant accounts would not attract any charge to the account holder as the banks would have made ample use of the idle funds.

It said, “Dormant account balances shall continue to be reflected in the books of banks as deposit liabilities until they are eventually withdrawn by the account holders or disposed of on their instructions. Dormant account balances shall, therefore, be regarded as deposits and shall be covered by deposit insurance.

“In the case of government-owned inactive/dormant accounts, banks shall notify the relevant government agency of their existence, with periodic returns of such notification sent to Banking Supervision Department. Banks are also required to turn over the funds to the concerned treasury after six years of inactivity.”

The bank said account opening forms would include the provision of next-of-kin, who would be contacted at the point of declaring the accounts dormant.

“The provisions of the guidelines shall take immediate effect. Sanctions for contravention of the provisions of the guidelines shall be imposed under Section 60 of the BOFIA (1991) as amended,” the CBN said.

http://www.punchng.com/business/money/cbn-introduces-new-policy-on-dormant-accounts/

Let us also not forget that any money that goes into the government coffers in this country never comes back to the owner again. Thats the same problems the banks faced when the same BOFIA asked them to deduct 10% of their after tax profits for SMEIS scheme, hence the discontinuation of that scheme.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by RazziP(m): 7:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
Good move... Emefiele I see you
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Rexyl(m): 9:29pm On Feb 18, 2015
Good move but that couldn't have returned my money before they closed the account?
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Mayflowa(m): 10:04am On Feb 19, 2015
koolet:
Three people looting money from citizens

1.OUR BANKs

2 OUR NETWORKs especially MTN

3. OUR GOVERNMENTs (the present govt and the past)

And PASTORS
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Mariojane(f): 11:22am On Feb 19, 2015
ednoville:
CBN pls tell Skye bank to stop sending me messages I left them since 2005
lolz
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Mariojane(f): 11:24am On Feb 19, 2015
wazobiaforu:
Make them stop 65 charges on ATM - is draining my account like crazy
so u are one of the people dt do withdraw 1000k everyday
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by KLand(m): 11:42am On Feb 19, 2015
Kx:

Were banks not "using millions to switch service providers" when Sanusi removed the atm charges?

Of course they have been paying the fees to the Switches before and after Sanusi removed the charges as you said. But the removal became a burden which the banks couldn't accommodate anymore. So they had to cry aloud to the CBN, hence the reintroduction of the hafge but with some favourable conditions.
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Maximeo(m): 1:28pm On Feb 19, 2015
Guys,
An uncle has a bank account which has been dormant for a decade now, with old account number (not the 10-digit NUBAN), doesn't he have a chance of reactivating it?

Anybody with experience please please respond. Thank you
Re: CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts by Creamish(f): 1:37pm On Feb 19, 2015
Maximeo:
Guys,
An uncle has a bank account which has been dormant for a decade now, with old account number (not the 10-digit NUBAN), doesn't he have a chance of reactivating it?

Anybody with experience please please respond. Thank you

Let ur uncle visit the bank and give them the old number. They can get the NUBAN for him. It dosn't stop the reactivation.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arthur Eze, 71, Bowing To A 43-Year-Old Johnbosco Onunkwo (Photo) / Folarin & Naza Alakija's White Wedding: Huge Amount Of Money Spent (Photos) / 8 Things N500 Cannot Buy Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.