Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,781 members, 7,831,516 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

It Is Chaotic Uk - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is Chaotic Uk (1608 Views)

Don't You Honestly Miss Him? Considering The Chaotic Condition Of Nigeria? - / Apapa-oshodi Chaotic Traffic: No End In Sight Despite Assurances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Chaotic Uk by redsun(m): 7:47pm On Jan 06, 2009
Most of the big centuries old establishments are either shutting down or slashing work force in uk.Something is wrong and i think it is a reality check that is inevitably upsetting the balance of mostly unnecessary buying,selling,credit and debt that the system is built on

Prices of basic commodities are skyrocketing,even when the government is claiming downward inflation and to top up,there is a deep freeze,the country is ice cold,meaning more heating,more gas and more money
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by OutlukBabe(f): 8:59pm On Jan 06, 2009
The UK economy is a financial economy. Manufacturing sector in UK have collapse. Companies have closed most industries and moved to either China or India. Everything in UK is own by foreing companies. BP is the only major UK company. If u look at all the products in UK, they are all imported either from China, Taiwan or South Korea. Infact in UK even the energy companies are own by foreing companies. RWE npower, Eon, Scottish Power are own by German companies. The nuclear industry was also recently sold to EDF. The price of basic commodities is sky-rocketting cos the pound is have lost its value. Now Euro bys more than a pound. So every single commodity imported into UK through any European company is more expensive. Most commercial shipping lines are own by European companies. UK economy is just the glory of old horse. The only thing that will salvage UK economy is for the American economy to recover very fast.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by redsun(m): 9:37pm On Jan 06, 2009
It seems like america is facing the same faith too.

As the rest of the world picks up mentally and economically,the economic factors like location of industries,availability of resources, cost of productions and necessities sets in.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by OutlukBabe(f): 10:43pm On Jan 06, 2009
Yes the American Economy was picking, but I think they have realized their very big mistake. They still have the technological know how, especially in heavy industries and so once the decision makers in Washington realise the mistake of free market economy, they come up with the stimulus package. This stimulus package that Obama government is pushing is just to give help to their industries. What and fund some projects directly. The government is setting aside fund for Boeing to design new generation air craft so that it will remain the global leader. Airbus and the Canadian company are taking the market away from boeing. The government is also setting aside to help Babcock & Wilcox the energy OEM company to fund research into new generation clean coal technology. So are the steal industries. Basically all the major economic engine power house in the US are going to get something from the stimulus package. Take a look at the oil&gas industries, despite the fact that US import oil, US oil companies like Exxon mobil make huge profit and they control the techology in the oil&gas sector. The profit made by Exxon this year is more than the income of Nigerian government. So US is economy is very strong, it just need readjustments. But the UK government doesnt have the money and the technological know how to back up its industries. Infact there are no industries to back up. Everything in UK is own by foreign companies, managed by foreigners.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by BOSS7: 10:55pm On Jan 06, 2009
OutlukBabe:

The government is setting aside fund for Boeing to design new generation air craft so that it will remain the global leader. Airbus and the Canadian company are taking the market away from boeing. The government is also setting aside to help Babcock & Wilcox the energy OEM company to fund research into new generation clean coal technology. So are the steal industries. Basically all the major economic engine power house in the US are going to get something from the stimulus package. Take a look at the oil&gas industries, despite the fact that US import oil, US oil companies like Exxon mobil make huge profit and they control the techology in the oil&gas sector. The profit made by Exxon this year is more than the income of Nigerian government. So US is economy is very strong, it just need readjustments.
I work in the aircraft/steel industry so you can't tell me nothing. The steel industry is of course slowing down because it's part of the whole gradual process of getting out of the manufacturing sector and focussing more into services. My colleague works with the nuclear and I visited them a couple of weeks back in Devon. Does Sellafield ring a bell to you and who owns that? Does ABB rings a bell? Does ALSTOM ring a bell? Do you really think that the nuclear sector would close down in the UK? Is this your reasoning? How do you think the country would generate electricity or doyou think a country like the UK would have the fate of their electricity in the hands of foreigners in the name of cutting cost?

OutlukBabe:

But the UK government doesnt have the money and the technological know how to back up its industries. Infact there are no industries to back up. Everything in UK is own by foreign companies, managed by foreigners.

Are you joking? Is this in a bid to make a point that you have to make an invalid point? You said the manufacturing sector has collapsed? Are you aware that there's a trend which the industrialised nations actually follow to greatness and that's exactly what China is doing at the moment. Are you aware that the services economy actually make more money than a manufacturing economy? So what there's a slowdown which started from America,but it's eventually affecting the whole world and even my Chinese friend woring in th arts sector complained of the same thing.

Think twice please before making judgments.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by redsun(m): 9:18am On Jan 07, 2009
http://www.catalyst-commercial.co.uk/blog/latest-news/french-government-control-britain-nuclear-industry/

Even the uk north sea oil reserve is owned privately,through lobbying and organized corruption,the government hands out the people resources to fat cats who in turn mercilessly exploits the people.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by BOSS7: 9:25am On Jan 07, 2009
redsun:

http://www.catalyst-commercial.co.uk/blog/latest-news/french-government-control-britain-nuclear-industry/

Even the uk north sea oil reserve is owned privately,through lobbying and organized corruption,the government hands out the people resources to fat cats who in turn mercilessly exploits the people.

And your point is? Even the website you quoted says page "webpage cannot be found".
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by redsun(m): 7:11pm On Jan 07, 2009
Probably a classified news,look for it u will find it like i did.

Resources like oil,especially in  the sea suppose to be a national cake and it should be handled by the government for maximum people's benefits,not shylock tycoons who gives no shit about the people,always out for maximum profits just because of their political and money connections.Imagine how domestic gas and electricity prices keep rising even when crude is falling

Making billions while the people are paying through their noses.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by oderemo(m): 7:18pm On Jan 07, 2009

and u fink its only nigeria dem dey rob d poor.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by DisGuy: 7:49pm On Jan 07, 2009
redsun:

Probably a classified news,look for it u will find it like i did.

Resources like oil,especially in  the sea suppose to be a national cake and it should be handled by the government for maximum people's benefits,[/b]not shylock tycoons who gives no shit about the people,always out for maximum profits just because of their political and money connections.Imagine how domestic gas and electricity prices keep rising even when crude is falling

why do you think the place is developed, as long as you have [b]regulations
it better to leave everything to private business(apart from the military and police), that way they will be efficient with their resources and maximise income for the govt through tax, employment etc, else everybody will be a government worker

gas/electricty rose way before the fall of crude oil and you have to remember they buy these commodities in advance so the price should fall some months after price depreciation
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by oderemo(m): 7:58pm On Jan 07, 2009
remember they buy these commodities in advance so the price should fall some months after price depreciation

which ever comp you try , edf, brit. gas, scotish power etc the prices are all same. its convenient excuse that they use f.i.l.o model, prices will come down only in summer when demand is low for their products, have you ever wondered why petrol prices take ages to come down ?
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by JJYOU: 7:59pm On Jan 07, 2009
wbb
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by DisGuy: 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2009
OutlukBabe:

The UK economy is a financial economy. Manufacturing sector in UK have collapse. Companies have closed most industries and moved to either China or India. Everything in UK is own by foreing companies. BP is the only major UK company. If u look at all the products in UK, they are all imported either from China, Taiwan or South Korea. Infact in UK even the energy companies are own by foreing companies. RWE npower, Eon, Scottish Power are own by German companies. The nuclear industry was also recently sold to EDF. The price of basic commodities is sky-rocketting because the pound is have lost its value. Now Euro bys more than a pound. So every single commodity imported into UK through any European company is more expensive. Most commercial shipping lines are own by European companies. UK economy is just the glory of old horse. The only thing that will salvage UK economy is for the American economy to recover very fast.

The UK is a financial and service economy not 'heavy', manufacturers have outsourced or moved their industries to teh far east or eastern europe because of tax, raw materials and low wages and it make sense doesnt it? I very sure you wont accept a job for 0.60p-£3/hr!!! Other countries will be dying to foreign businesses pay their citizens that much (cloth makers for primark, oasis, mk one and co!), second most of the resources are based outside the UK so why not cut the the cost of dong business and making everything in other region

the fact that most businesses in the UK are owned by foreigner shows that the UK has very conducive environment for business, the companies are profitable and generally well managed plus the UK govt are on top of things when it comes to monitoring and punishing those that don't play by the rules- its globalisation in its 'purest' form  grin
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by BOSS7: 9:31pm On Jan 07, 2009
this Guy:

The UK is a financial and service economy not 'heavy', manufacturers have outsourced or moved their industries to the far east or eastern europe because of tax, raw materials and low wages and it make sense doesnt it? I very sure you wont accept a job for 0.60p-£3/hr!!! Other countries will be dying to foreign businesses pay their citizens that much (cloth makers for primark, oasis, mk one and co!), second most of the resources are based outside the UK so why not cut the the cost of dong business and making everything in other region

the fact that most businesses in the UK are owned by foreigner shows that the UK has very conducive environment for business, the companies are profitable and generally well managed plus the UK govt are on top of things when it comes to monitoring and punishing those that don't play by the rules- its globalisation in its 'purest' form  grin

Only if I can pay you for making this simple enough even for a primary school pupil to understand, Thanks

grin
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by OutlukBabe(f): 8:29pm On Jan 08, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

I work in the aircraft/steel industry so you can't tell me nothing. The steel industry is of course slowing down because it's part of the whole gradual process of getting out of the manufacturing sector and focussing more into services. My colleague works with the nuclear and I visited them a couple of weeks back in Devon. D[b]oes Sellafield ring a bell to you and who owns that? Does ABB rings a bell? Does ALSTOM ring a bell? Do you really think that the nuclear sector would close down in the UK? Is this your reasoning? How do you think the country would generate electricity or doyou think a country like the UK would have the fate of their electricity in the hands of foreigners in the name of cutting cost?
[/b]

@BOSS

I dont want you think that I was trying to compare UK with Nigeria or any other deloping counrty. I want you to understand that I am tryin to analyse the current economic situation. I have being in the British Energy Industry for 7 years I know the current energy situation in UK. In Sellafield There is no any current Nuclear power plant in construction and most of the time the older Nuclear plants that are always on maintenance or fuel re-processing. The last nuclear power plant was commissioned in 1995 and it took 10 years for construction. Even that, it is a Canadian reactor (CANDU). Most of the work done in Selafield is decommissioning of the existing plants, that generates tons of nuclear waste. The government wanted to new plants but doesnt have the right technolgoy, and the French government refuse to licensed their design unless the government give them stakes in the british energy.

Make ur research and find out: ABB is an American company, Alstom is French company, Weirs is an American Company, Black & Veacth is American, and these are service industries

If you take the power generating companies. RWE npower is a German company. Eon is german company. EDF is French. Scottish power is own Spanish Iberdrola Group.

Some people may call it capitalism in its purest form, but the UK economy is being badly hurt because of the capital flight. All the profit the companies are making is going out of the country. No matter what happened, the UK economy is being badly hurt by the current condition and the government is feeling it. Services industries cannot sustain country without abundant natural resources.

B.O.S.S.:

UK industry could suffer if French government-owned EDF is allowed to take over Britain's biggest electricity producer.The warning comes from Peter Luff, chairman of the Government's Business and Enterprise Committee, who is worried that the passing of British Energy (up 1p to 727½p) into French hands has serious implications for the competitiveness of UK firms. Nuclear operator British Energy controls virtually all the UK's nuclear power stations, and it produces around 15% of our electricity supply.

EDF, 85% owned by the French Government, is widely tipped to announce the takeover of British Energy, offering 775p per share, at its first half-year results announcement in Paris on Friday. Luff complains that foreign owned utilities are less transparent on setting prices and are channelling profits out of Britain. Recent takeovers of UK energy firms by European rivals have led to one-third of our electricity supply falling into foreign hands. Luff said: 'Families are affected by this consolidation by European firms but it also has serious repercussions for the competitiveness of UK businesses.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing-and-markets/article.html?in_article_id=448430&in_page_id=3
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by BOSS7: 8:45pm On Jan 08, 2009
OutlukBabe:

@BOSS

I don't want you think that I was trying to compare UK with Nigeria or any other deloping counrty. I want you to understand that I am tryin to analyse the current economic situation. I have being in the British Energy Industry for 7 years I know the current energy situation in UK. In Sellafield There is no any current Nuclear power plant in construction and most of the time the older Nuclear plants that are always on maintenance or fuel re-processing. The last nuclear power plant was commissioned in 1995 and it took 10 years for construction. Even that, it is a Canadian reactor (CANDU). Most of the work done in Selafield is decommissioning of the existing plants, that generates tons of nuclear waste. The government wanted to new plants but doesnt have the right technolgoy, and the French government refuse to licensed their design unless the government give them stakes in the british energy.

Make ur research and find out: ABB is an American company, Alstom is French company, Weirs is an American Company, Black & Veacth is American, and these are service industries

If you take the power generating companies. RWE npower is a German company. Eon is german company. EDF is French. Scottish power is own Spanish Iberdrola Group.

Some people may call it capitalism in its purest form, but the UK economy is being badly hurt because of the capital flight. All the profit the companies are making is going out of the country. No matter what happened, the UK economy is being badly hurt by the current condition and the government is feeling it. Services industries cannot sustain country without abundant natural resources.

I could sense your knowledge as well as your explanation and thought into my post and I respect your post because I trust what you said about being in the energy sector for 7years because I've only being there for 2years so I applaud your courage in schooling me in that instance.

But though, my point is that though these companies are being taken over by foreign companies, but I hope you'll agree with me that they (these essentia UK companies) cannot go anywhere because the UK would just not allow it's ecnomy to fully be in control of external powers, don't you agree?
All in all though, is the UK economy badly hurt, of couse I agree with you because I guess I face this day in day out and not just hearing it in the news.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by OutlukBabe(f): 9:09pm On Jan 08, 2009
Of course the government allowed it to happen. And it is affecting the sector. The companies that bought over the UK companies are here for business only and hence they are here to make profit. We pay more energy bills than most european countries. The energy companies have refuse to build new plants, citing cost of materials, the energy gap is growing, older power station are run out of their service life. Kilkenze and Ratclif coal plants have outlive their age. They wont spend a single dime in research and development in UK and so the future of the UK energy and manufacturing indutry is at stake. The UK is even backward in terms of wind energy despite having the highest average wind speed in Europe. The energy companies have refuse to invest, just to rip off the UK citizen, that is their main coal. This labour government is just crazy, they have allowed the UK industries to be bought over by foreing companies. And you will be suprise at the job losses in UK. It will be increasing. Right now the Euro is more than a pound, and we are feeling the pinch, cos everything is imported.
B.O.S.S.:

But though, my point is that though these companies are being taken over by foreign companies, but I hope you'll agree with me that they (these essentia UK companies) cannot go anywhere because the UK would just not allow it's ecnomy to fully be in control of external powers, don't you agree?
All in all though, is the UK economy badly hurt, of couse I agree with you because I guess I face this day in day out and not just hearing it in the news.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by proo212(m): 9:39pm On Jan 08, 2009
Outlookbabe, thanks jare. You hit the nail on the head. It's sad but that is the reality. BOSS, if you need to know the exact sentiments of the average brit, read the Times, Telegraph and (even Daily Mail to add a bit spice to it)
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by BOSS7: 9:45pm On Jan 08, 2009
proo212:

Outlookbabe, thanks jare. You hit the nail on the head. It's sad but that is the reality. BOSS, if you need to know the exact sentiments of the average brit, read the Times, Telegraph and (even Daily Mail to add a bit spice to it)

Your profile says you're based in Germany doesn' it? Oh well, she agreed with me that these UK companies wold go nowhere but should I start reading the broadsheets - of course I read these daily courtesy of my job and I'm in the UK so if Outlookbabe is feeling the pinch, so am I, I guess you're the lucky one amongst us three.

I hope Gemany is not as bad(going by your profile location).

smiley
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by proo212(m): 9:57pm On Jan 08, 2009
Well Germany too is feeling the pinch. Maybe not as much at the moment but we are an export based economy so if UK cannot buy because half of them are unemployed, we are stuffed too.

In my opinion, it will be deeper in the UK but I also believe when it starts to get better the UK will also get better quicker because they are not tied to the ECB policies/Euro

But my company is a UK company and the German operation did not do well in 08. But you have to admit that the UK is mortgaged to the hilt and that is the issue coupled with lack of manufacturing base, all assets in foreign ownership, gold reserves sold off. It does make for a grim forecast. Not good if your family is going to be affected. (so either way i am affected)
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by Amenhotep(m): 9:57pm On Jan 08, 2009
F**k da UK and everything it muthaf**king represents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There's no place like Naija.  F**k Y'all!!!!
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by BOSS7: 10:20pm On Jan 08, 2009
Amenhotep:

F**k da UK and everything it muthaf**king represents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There's no place like Naija.  F**k Y'all!!!!

Retard!!!
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by felifeli: 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2009
It is officially projected that more than 600,000 jobs will be lost in UK in 2009 though , or average of 1600 jobs a day undecided
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by BOSS7: 10:31pm On Jan 08, 2009
felifeli:

It is officially projected that more than 600,000 jobs will be lost in UK in 2009 though , or average of 1600 jobs a day undecided
And how do you feel about this because I noticed you're an advocate for Nigerians in Nigeria and against Nigerian diasporans.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by felifeli: 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

And how do you feel about this because I noticed you're an advocate for Nigerians in Nigeria and against Nigerian diasporans.

LOL
How long have you lived in UK ? As a matter of fact I lived in London since I was 13 and know most of the country pretty well . I could really travel through London blindfolded. No I am not against  "diasporans (?)" , I just get fed up with people going on as if the UK (or their tenure in the country)  is the best thing that ever happened to the world . I don't hate the UK either for your information ; it still remains to me a second home . I should be worried about my many relations there who are facing extreme hardship at the moment. Peace.
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by BOSS7: 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2009
felifeli:

LOL
How long have you lived in UK ? As a matter of fact I lived in London since I was 13 and know most of the country pretty well . I could really travel through London blindfolded. No I am not against "diasporans (?)" , I just get fed up with people going on as if the UK (or their tenure in the country) is the best thing that ever happened to the world . I don't hate the UK either for your information ; it still remains to me a second home and I still get well-paying get freelance work from the UK. I should be worried about my many relations there who are facing extreme hardship at the moment. Peace.

I've been in 11years, by the way, London is not that hard to know though once you live there even for 2months it all becomes easy just like driving a car. Either way, i have no hard feelings, just thought otherwise about your feelings towards the hardship your fellow Nigerian diasporans are facing.

wink
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by MT: 2:38am On Jan 09, 2009
@ outlookbabe,

I cant but agree with your comment!. Your analysis was exemplary. I just watched on the SKY news now that more that 5000jobs of different companies were lost between Monday to Thursday this week alone!. Even barclays have to let go of more than 400 IT professionals!.

Armageddon is here, I guess! shocked
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by JustGood(m): 3:22pm On Jan 09, 2009
America too. . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7820164.stm

US job losses hit record in 2008

The search for jobs: More people are attending job fairs
More US workers lost jobs last year than in any year since World War II, with employers axing 2.6 million jobs and 524,000 in December alone.

The US jobless rate rose to 7.2% in December, the highest in 16 years.

Companies are cutting jobs as consumers reduce spending, amid fears the world's biggest economy will be in recession for a long time.

On Thursday, US President-elect Barack Obama called for drastic action to prevent the economy from deteriorating.

Jobs blow

The annual jobless total was higher than expected, partly because jobless figures in November and October were revised upwards.

November's job losses were revised to 584,000 from 533,000 while October's losses were revised to 423,000 from 320,000.

More than half of the job losses last year were in the last four months of the year.

Analysts had forecast that 550,000 jobs would go in December.

Most December job losses were in the service sector, which shed 273,000 jobs. Manufacturing jobs fell by 149,000 in December, while employment in construction fell by 101,000, with retailers cutting staff by 67,000.

Some of those lucky enough not to lose their jobs, had their hours reduced. The number of aggregate hours worked in December fell 0.2 hours to 33.3 hours, the lowest level since records began in 1964.

AT&T, the telecoms giant, was among those to announce job cuts last month, reducing its workforce by 4% and cutting 12,000 positions.

'Ugly and getting uglier'

Anthony Conroy, head trader at Bny Convergex, said: "Well, the numbers look better than I think many were anticipating. I had heard anywhere from 500,000 to about a million, so it's definitely better than anticipated."

Other analysts found little consolation in the figures.

"No matter how you look at it, these are dismal numbers," said Matt Esteve, foreign exchange trader at Tempus Consulting.

Added Richard Yamarone, chief economist of Argus Research: "The job situation is ugly and is going to get uglier. There's no reason to expect hiring anytime in the next three to six months. We are not going to see any hiring until the government steps in and acts."
Re: It Is Chaotic Uk by MT: 5:32pm On Jan 09, 2009
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7819761.stm angry cry embarassed

UK manufacturing output fell at its fastest pace since 1981 in November, official figures showed, underlining the fragile state of the economy.

Output fell 7.4% from a year earlier - the biggest drop since June 1981. On a monthly basis, the fall was 2.9%, the Office for National Statistics said.

The news is likely to reinforce expectations that policymakers need to do more to stave off a deep recession.

The Bank of England cut interest rates to 1.5% on Thursday, a 315-year low.

James Knightley, an economist at ING said that the UK economy could shrink by around 3% this year.

We are in a very painful recession

Robert Peston, BBC business editor

Read Robert Peston's blog

"Industrial output has now fallen for nine straight months, which is the worst run of data since 1980, so the pressure for further stimulus will continue," he said.

Bad times

The weak figures hit the pound, which briefly fell against the euro and the dollar.

Paul Dales, UK economist at Capital Economics, said that manufacturing was likely to continue to plunge despite the weaker pound, which should make UK goods more competitive on international markets.

"It's not a good time to be in industry," he said.

Industrial production accounts for around a fifth of our economic output, says the BBC's business editor Robert Peston.

He said the figures confirmed that the UK was in a very painful recession.

This week, car manufacturer Nissan said it would cut around 1,200 jobs, a quarter of the workforce at its Sunderland plant, and china and glass group Waterford Wedgwood went into administration.

Data released at the same time showed that producer output prices were unchanged in December from November, although analysts had expected a fall.

Input prices fell 2% due to falling raw material costs.

(1) (Reply)

Returning To Biafra”does Not Mean Physical Translocation / My Experience With Almajiris After Kano Luxurious Bomb Blast. / Top Salary Earners In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.