Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo (23478 Views)

Oil Block Revocation By President Buhari Causes Controversies / 7 Controversies That May Throw President Buhari Out Of Office In 2019 / Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by kglamour(m): 2:03am On Feb 19, 2015
Former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo has been embroiled in a lot of controversies.

Many continue to wonder what makes Obasanjo thick and how he manages to get away with things other people would not even dare to try.

Like a cat with nine lives, Obasanjo came out of prison and assumed the number position in Nigerian in 1999. Though he did not have the support of his people in the Southwest, other parts of the country voted for him.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is not an ordinary Nigerian citizen as he has become some sort of political Mecca where countless politicians and political parties pay homage and source for advice concerning their ambition.

One thing about the former President is that he is never afraid of courting controversies, an action which has fetched him a lot of enemies and criticisms. But Obasanjo seems not to be bothered with his critiques as he keeps saying his mind, irrespective of who gets hurt.

Let’s take a look at some of the controversies that former President has been involved in.

1. Obasanjo dumps PDP in a very dramatic manner:

This is the most recent act of Obasanjo that has everybody talking. On Monday, February 16, Obasanjo officially left the ruling Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP). The fact that he left the party was not the issue but the manner he did it. He tore his party membership card in public, an action which the party described as an insult.

2. He wrote a controversial autobiography:

The former President’s autobiography, ‘My Watch’ which was unveiled at the at the Lagos Country club Ikeja, Lagos, on December 9, 2014, caused quite a stir in the country. The book strongly criticized a lot of top Nigerian politicians like president Goodluck Jonathan, Bola Tinubu, Gbenga Daniel and others. Despite being stopped by a court injunction, Obasanjo had gone ahead to launch the three-volume book.

Though the book was banned from being sold in Nigeria, the former President refused to be deterred and took it to other countries where it will not be banned.

3. Attempted a third term:

Obasanjo was the only president who attempted a third term but was confronted. Obasanjo was embroiled in controversy regarding his “Third Term Agenda,” a plan to modify the constitution so he could serve a third term as President. This led to a political media uproar in Nigeria. Obasanjo later denied his involvement in the third term agenda.

Speaking at the launch of his autobiography, he denied seeking a third term but admitted he knew about it. He had said: “Third term was not my agenda or intention although I would not say I didn’t know about it. I didn’t mastermind third term. Those who were telling me to go on were the governors that were going to benefit from it.”

4. Obasanjo’s letter to Jonathan:

In 2013, the former president stirred up a storm with an explosive 18-page letter entitled “Before it is too late” to President Goodluck Jonathan detailing what he perceived to be the president’s shortcomings. This had sparked a lot of reactions in the country at the time.

5[b]. Iyabo’s letter to her father:[/b]

Following Obasanjo’s 18-page letter, his daughter, Senator Iyabo Obasanjo had allegedly written a letter to her father. She had denounced Obasanjo as a self-seeking man lacking in all key expectations of a father and a leader, but often appearing quick to accuse others of the same ills. The letter was surrounded in controversy as the spokespersons and family members of Obasanjo alleged that the letter was forged. Meanwhile, Iyabo refused to denounce or deny her authorship of a blistering letter. Obasanjo had alleged that Iyabo was coerced by President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration to write the letter to him in a bid to embarrass him

6. His son Gbenga accused him of sleeping with his wife:

In 2008, Gbenga, the first son of the former president dropped a bombshell on his father’s alleged sexual intimacy with his estranged wife, Moji. Gbenga, in a sworn affidavit, submitted to a divorce court accused his father of sleeping with his wife. The former president was summoned in court in what appeared to be a messy divorce between Gbenga and his wife.

7[b]. The Odi massacre:[/b]

This was an attack carried out on November 20, 1999, by the Nigerian military during Obasanjo’s reign as president. Nearly 2500 civilians were reportedly killed in the predominantly Ijaw town of Odi in Bayelsa state, while every building in the town except the bank, the Anglican church and the health center were burned to the ground. Report has it that massacre was ordered by Obasanjo. On his command the world witnessed one of the most tragic abuse of human right and genocide in Odi.

http://www.naij.com/387809-top-7-controversies-involving-former-president-obasanjo.html

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by lecturerdabo(m): 4:51am On Feb 19, 2015
Yet he is "Progressive" and without corruption!!

I PITY THIS GENERATION!!!

94 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by bewla(m): 5:16am On Feb 19, 2015
Any thing u do them go talk

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by etebefia: 5:20am On Feb 19, 2015
Just that sentiments have blinded most nigerians. Imagine OBJ talking against GEJ and some people are jumping up and down, was there anything like free and fair election during his time? Did he sign the FOI bill? Was there improvement in power supply during his time? Did he do anything about the railways? Not to talk about the road network, what about the minimium wage? Corper's allowance? Please someone should tell Obj that halliburton schandal is still in our minds. Gej has frustrated him into tearing his party card who knows what next, maybe a live transformer will receive a customer soon. One former military general frustrated out of politics, another to follow soon, Gej teaching them politics 101

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by lilbabyak(m): 5:42am On Feb 19, 2015
to everything tune you play a great man must be able to dance to it.
and that's what OBJ exemplify

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:22am On Feb 19, 2015
I can neva let my grandma near dat man called OBJ not to talk of my girlfriend.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by Izunwa(m): 7:25am On Feb 19, 2015
OBJ is a typical example of "How Not to be an Elder StatesMan" period.

57 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by khalebzy(m): 7:37am On Feb 19, 2015
old beast

5 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by tundeayo2020: 7:38am On Feb 19, 2015
okay controversies you say, but not researched facts.
If all these allegations are true, I guess OBJ should be cooling off in kirikiri rather than interferring in politics of today.

4 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by msmon(m): 7:39am On Feb 19, 2015
This man is very controversial, but how he manage to go scot free is beyond me. He's the Sir Alex Ferguson of Nigeria? Lolz

National Assembly Approves Life Pension For President, Vice, Others In New Constitution
www.nairaland.com/2155188/national-assembly-approves-life-pension

Military Force Alone Can’t Defeat B’Haram And Other Terrorist Group – Obama
www.nairaland.com/2154873/military-force-alone-cant-defeat

2 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by Vicotex(m): 7:39am On Feb 19, 2015
Is it that most nigerians are blind or cannot see the kind of person OBJ is?
He is a HUMANOID APE

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by Abdulsalam20(m): 7:39am On Feb 19, 2015
Thats nigeria politics......i dont even trust the man at all..........all what he is doing might be for a speciic undisclosed reason best known to him

meanwhile GMB2015.........#TEAMCHANGE#

7 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by davdandam(m): 7:39am On Feb 19, 2015
cause he's ebora owu that does what he likes from his mountain top hideout grin

3 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by joanprice: 7:39am On Feb 19, 2015
super story

3 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by Hopkinsjay: 7:40am On Feb 19, 2015
you can trust obj with everything except his joystick
Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by jaybee104(m): 7:40am On Feb 19, 2015
an igbo scientist once discovered that ; all APC politicians has blood, like Bloods on there hands.
is that the kind of change we want?

2 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by saintandsinnerz: 7:40am On Feb 19, 2015
OBJ is as useless as they come! Never liked that man for once. He is the highest hypocrite. OBJ should be in jail for the massive corruption in his regime

6 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by coldsummer: 7:40am On Feb 19, 2015
[size=18pt]and where's the countless controversies surrounding GEJ . [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by jaybee104(m): 7:40am On Feb 19, 2015
ffg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by adebayo201: 7:40am On Feb 19, 2015
8. Don't want to give in to the young generation!

lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by kennydee05(m): 7:40am On Feb 19, 2015
Ebora owu is the main man...

2 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by ibeksonyeka(m): 7:41am On Feb 19, 2015
Baba oooo

2 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by nortcentrallord(m): 7:41am On Feb 19, 2015
A can of rotten worms. undecided
Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by benarex(m): 7:41am On Feb 19, 2015
Obasanjo lied by saying he was not involved in his third term bid.
Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by Nairalane: 7:41am On Feb 19, 2015
J
Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by adedam007(m): 7:41am On Feb 19, 2015
K
Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by Vicotex(m): 7:42am On Feb 19, 2015
I bind and cast out all the OBJ spirit in our lives . AMEN

2 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by saaedlee: 7:42am On Feb 19, 2015
[quote author=kglamour post=30866583][/quote]

Of all things written by the author above, No. 7 to me shouldn't be there, guess he/she doesn't know the full details of event that led Sending of Military Troops to Odi...I have a friend whoose father was the only surviving member of the Nigeria Police Force Team(recall that 7 Very Senior Police Officers were killed and burried in a mass grave) that escaped the initial killings carried out by members of the Egbesu Cult. Those gallant men had families, children, for the author come out to say that finding and bringing those killers to justice by General Obasanjo (rtd) is "controversial" is rather appalling!
Compare the killings to that carried out by The Ombaste Cult group in Nassarawa State(where about 10 colleagues were maimed, then you'll know that our Leader is in-deed a Weak, Ineffective and CLUELESS President!

As such I don't expect the author to include no 7 in his/her article as it is an insult to the souls of those officers and the person(OBJ) who brought their killers to justice!

Vote General Muhammadu Buhari for President

#SaiBuhari
[Pardon typos; as I dey traffic ]

5 Likes

Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by ajaniade004: 7:42am On Feb 19, 2015
Op forgot to add that he claimed so many parcels of land with his military might in Ota and many other places in Nigeria. The horrible old man
Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by emonye6(m): 7:43am On Feb 19, 2015
This man is a disgrace n should be jailed n killed.
Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by Pipsytony: 7:43am On Feb 19, 2015
[quote author=kglamour post=30866583][/quote]OBJ...Is that someone's name
Re: Top 7 Controversies Involving Former President Obasanjo by ayukdaboss(m): 7:43am On Feb 19, 2015
Obasanjo was a PDP man less than 3 days ago...After his dumping the useless party, PDP supporters are now seeing his bad side. Shameless dolts!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC To Quiz Olisa Metuh Over N1.4billion Balance In Account / Buhari Praises Father Mbaka, Lauds Catholic Priest’s Steadfastness / 'i’ll Dine With The Devil To Ensure Lagos Is Safe' - Edgal Imohimi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.