Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,036 members, 7,852,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:01 PM

How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. (817 Views)

Public Office CRIMES In Nigeria Are Cases Of Corruption, Not Stealing. Be Wise! / The War Over U.S. War Crimes In Afghanistan Is Heating Up / Five Craziest Crimes In Us This Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by kosovo(m): 9:31pm On Jan 06, 2009
crimes are inevitable as it is found in every society, but it can be reduced to the barest minimum.
i hope the IG or anyone close to him reads this through, sighs,

RECOMMENDATIONS;

1) Every police man should be made to pass though a mandatory physiological programme.

2) All GUNS should come with TAG; this can effectively check crime, when there is a robbery and thieves are caught or shot, their ammunitions should be checked and the tag seen can be traced to the owner (policemen i guess). If the gun was stolen and not reported, then the owner should undergo harsh disciplinary measures- death by HANGING.

3) A universal functioning EMERGENCY NUMBER. Every time, police chiefs make their numbers available on T.V's or radios programme in case of emergency, and unfortunately either we can't remember them, or there is a NETWORK PROBLEM as usual.
for example, if there was a robbery in one location at about 1pm at night, and u got a police number, you dial and most times it doesn't go through, because of the heavy traffic caused by MIDNIGHT calls.

4) Sufficient POLICE VEHICLES, at least three policemen to a vehicle. if the National Assembly members can spend BILLIONS in feeding and travel, i see no reason why this can't be a reality.

5) DISCIPLINE; Any police man caught collecting N20 or N50 on the Nigeria road should be subjected to the law, if found guilty, should be jailed, or executed.

6) Every Nigerian should have a copy of the NIGERIA CONSTITUTION. Most Nigerians don't know if their rights as a citizen have been infringed on, i have seen many occasions where policemen forcefully search people properties(e.g laptops) when they don't have a SEARCH WARRANT., it should never be so, if i fall a victim of that, i will make sure i sue the Federal Government, the IG, the Commissioner of police, and the D.P.O, i will make sure justice is done. it is however necessary that more Nigerians have their personal Lawyers.
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by tpia: 9:44pm On Jan 06, 2009
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by morpheus24: 9:51pm On Jan 06, 2009
I think technology and advancement helps curb certain criminal activities.

Take for example how in the 80's and early 90's armed robers would attack residentail areas in search of money they wre sure ws kept in many peoples homes because of lack of confidence in banking industries.

Now fast forward to 2009 and notice how crime is less likely in a residence though it has shifted to banks. One way of interpreting this is the better advanced a country is the less likely a particular type of crime is committed.

Inorder words if you want to curb crime outsmart the criminal.

1 Like

Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by kosovo(m): 2:02am On Jan 07, 2009
tpia:

good points.

Police officers should also receive better pay and better benefits.

Upgrade the housing and subsidize their kids' education.
i concur.
men who risk their lives everyday should have something to be proud of.
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by tpia: 6:04am On Jan 07, 2009
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by kosovo(m): 8:22am On Jan 07, 2009
tpia:

I forgot to add: criminally minded cops should be weeded out if possible.

especially the ones supplying arms to various groups.
that's why i said there is urgent need to TAG guns as done in the west.
for example if Mr. B a police man gives his gun to a robber and the robber is caught or shot, the GUN owner can be traced using the TAG. then justice can take place.
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by vowiski(m): 8:32am On Jan 07, 2009
@kosovo
you have a point, but when the affairs of the country is left for old fools who cant think, then what happens?
total failure, we have young talented and energetic people who can carry the country forward, but we refuse to see that as an option.
Nigeria will always remain DOOM! period.
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by princekevo(m): 8:48am On Jan 07, 2009
Those are good ideas but i think in country like Nigeria those are secondary solutions.We need to first of all tackle the foundamental issues that lead to this crimes. For example, You cant stop to cops from collecting 20,50naira and giving out their guns to robbers without the govt.paying them reasonable amount that is sufficient for them and their families. We need to tackle the comunication and electricity problem in Nigeria which personally i think that contributes 40 to every crime in Nigeria. We are talking about emergency hotlines. How many Government hospital and police stations are 12hrs online not to talk of 24hrs. There are a lot of shops,companies and banks who could afford a 24hrs CCTV cameras, but there is no steady electricity for this to be efficient. So my brother the issue of combating crime in Nigeria is jst far beyond wht we think.
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by faoni572(m): 8:55am On Jan 07, 2009
@kosovo,

I like all your points you highlighted here and especially the capital punishment you suggested. I want to add one point to your lists. There should be a database of everybody in Nigeria where the biometric of everybody living in Nigeria are stored in a central database. This database should be made available to security agencies, banks and any other organisation that may need them. This can help reduce crimes because with the biometric and the special personal number given to individual, it will be easy to trace anybody that commit crime. For example a gun use for criminal activities after recovery of such gun can be scanned and the finger print obtain can be used to search database and know the identity of the person that use the gun last.
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by princekevo(m): 6:16pm On Jan 07, 2009
faoni572:

@kosovo,

I like all your points you highlighted here and especially the capital punishment you suggested. I want to add one point to your lists. There should be a database of everybody in Nigeria where the biometric of everybody living in Nigeria are stored in a central database. This database should be made available to security agencies, banks and any other organisation that may need them. This can help reduce crimes because with the biometric and the special personal number given to individual, it will be easy to trace anybody that commit crime. For example a gun use for criminal activities after recovery of such gun can be scanned and the finger print obtain can be used to search database and know the identity of the person that use the gun last.

Lol i think all these are still dreams. If Nigeria need to really check on crimes we need to do the first things first. Database i think can only work efficiently in country that have proper check on their boarders. If that would work in Nigeria then we really need to work on our boarders first unlike now that anyone can sneak in and out of the country. Morever we should not forget that we have been unable to conduct a proper election to get the accurate population of the country not to talk of getting everyone's living in Nigeria on a central database.
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by vowiski(m): 8:32pm On Jan 07, 2009
all we can do is to HOPE!
Re: How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. by DisGuy: 8:49pm On Jan 07, 2009
tpia:

good points.

Police officers should also receive better pay and better benefits.

Upgrade the housing and subsidize their kids' education.

I think nigeria is still the only country that operate these police barracks,
giving them extra pay (basically add their accommodation allowance to their pay) should be enough
and better training. I think the police should start an annual graduate recruitment scheme

the police should have database for criminal and traffic offences made available to employers,
then the law should be changed whereby employers have the right to ask for background criminal check
to weed out those that have committed serious crimes and also those looking to work in education should be barred completely if they committed any crime in the past. certain occupation should also bar those with traffic offences
This way people think twice before committing a crime especially potential politician and teachers.

reduce the option of fines for crime or outlaw it completely-compulsory imprisonment
build bigger prison
I've always wonder why people caught carrying cocaine at the airport are never shown on National TV to act as a deterrent to others

(1) (Reply)

Thoughts Of The White Man About The Black Man - Pass It Round. / The Politicians Children / Saraki: The Father, The Son And The Only Daughter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.