Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,364 members, 7,815,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

My Wife Taking Me To Registry. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife Taking Me To Registry. (1518 Views)

Groom Abandons New Bride At Benin Registry, Takes To His Heels On Sighting Wife / How Do I Ignore My Wife When She Is Taking Me For Granted Too Much? / Going To Registry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by chipomuste(m): 10:07pm On Jan 06, 2009
Ma wife requested we go to the registry after our wedding, and begining to wonder what will have prompted that. country people make una advice me oo, lawyers what are the implications good and bad, coomment will be appreciated. thanks:
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by omega25red(m): 10:12pm On Jan 06, 2009
what's wrong with the registry? i thought married folks do that anyway
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by olanajim(m): 8:20pm On Jan 12, 2009
Not everyone.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by mohawkchic(f): 2:16am On Jan 13, 2009
chipomuste:

Ma wife requested we go to the registry after our wedding, and begining to wonder what will have prompted that. country people make una advice me oo, lawyers what are the implications good and bad, coomment will be appreciated. thanks:

~ After? What sort of wedding will you be having ?

~Am aware of some people Getting married at the Registry office,close friends & family only & after a couple of years after have a Huge church wedding!

~Why don't you ask her outrightly?She's the one that has the answers! -  If you are suspicious of her reasons,should you be marrying her in the first place? Becareful how you let the seed of suspicion grow,especially w/ questions like yours @ Implications Good/Bad!!
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by babsongudus: 8:24am On Jan 13, 2009
go there mate, fear not
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by spikedcylinder: 9:06am On Jan 13, 2009
chipomuste:

She's only trying to make your union legal under the civil laws of the country.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by TOYOSI20(f): 4:50am On Jan 14, 2009
babsongudus:

go there mate, fear not

Tell him, me thinks hes starting to get cold feet!! cheesy cheesy
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by bigfather(m): 6:17am On Jan 14, 2009
Pally you get hidden agenda ? If not , then go ahead, them nor dey kill person for there ! cheesy
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 15, 2009
are u rich? if u are, u re in trouble. dont follow her to registery. cos if u do, she will divorce u to ve access to ur dough grin grin b wise my guy grin grin
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Ilelobola: 2:21pm On Jan 16, 2009
We had to have a register office wedding before our church wedding, the church wanted to see the certificate before they could marry us. Same for other people I know. I don't believe you are legally married in Nigeria until you have done a register office wedding.

And for those that say she's after you dough, it goes both ways and more, you will not be able to enjoy the benefits of being married (if there are any in Nigeria) except it's done. The mistake a lot of our mothers did which enabled their husbands to take a younger woman to the registry and get the status of legal wife!
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by meexteriox(m): 4:56pm On Jan 16, 2009
What are you scared of?
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Angolobabe(f): 1:37pm On Jan 17, 2009
@poster, i think she just want to make ur marriage legal cos traditional marriage is just a ceremony nothing more and educated women will definately want to be legally married i dont see anything wrong in that.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by praxx(m): 12:18am On Jan 19, 2009
@ poster,
so where do you want her to take you to? shrine?
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Pepeye(f): 2:04am On Jan 19, 2009
chipomuste:

Still nursing some doubts eh! You really don’t want to be committed afterall

As for the legal implications

Are much are u willing to pay. . . it isn’t gonna be free wink
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Seun(m): 3:52am On Jan 19, 2009
If she doesn't take you to the registry they you are not actually married, period.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Taken(m): 4:26am On Jan 19, 2009
@ poster

I would suggest you find out what the registry laws are all about? Then if it has something to do with, i go chop all your life earnings if you divorce your wife (excluding children), then you want to really have a real heart to heart talk with your wife and settle some doubts. You want to search your own heart too - will you ever breakup your marriage for any reasons!

You might want to get a lawyer draft you some binding document that both of you would sign. Such document should be very fair to both parties by considering all possible conditions: if the wife messes up and wants to claim your life earnings - no no; if you messes up and tries to use magomago put her aside - no no; Lastly, in case something happens to the marriage and could not be savaged, plans should be in place to protect the children (in laws go chopulate all the earnings).

Hence, if the wife is the one with the life earning, same thing applies.

Moreover - all of these are not needed if your marriage is built on the right foundation. If not, storm go still come - may God help such then.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 19, 2009
ur wife is a smart woman - who knows what may happen in future - you take a second wife , pass on to the great beyond , initiate a seperation. . .as far as nigerian law is concerned she did not marry you. one could even claim that your children have no rights.
unless you have some ulterior motives - find your way there
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by EOA(m): 9:52am On Jan 20, 2009
She only wants to put legal backing to her marriage. She may not mean any harm. Come to think of it wont' you rush to this same registry when you win US Visa lottery and want to emigrate with your family?. I you mean well for your marriage to her always you've got nothing to fear.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by AmakaOne(f): 12:42pm On Jan 21, 2009
praxx:

@ poster,
so where do you want her to take you to? shrine?

LOL grin
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by xavier3(m): 9:57pm On Jan 24, 2009
grin grin your wife won chop your money, wen una divorce she go dey take 3/4 of all ur money hahahaha tongue
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by lawyer(m): 8:23pm On Feb 10, 2009
Court registry is the only sanctioned form of marriage that the Country recognizes. The other ones are customary/Traditional weddings and you will be subject to customary law adjudication incase of any dispute between you 2 but a religious wedding is only ceremon an extent and places a lot of burden on you trying to prove certain things and obtain certain advantages.

So my advise is head to the registry, finalise it and if you have problems about the lifestyle and mode the marriage should take shape in, then you get a pre-nuptial agreement to clarify issues and not to scare or intimidate the other spouse.

Cheers!
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by osisi2(f): 3:11am On Feb 11, 2009
I thought everybody went to the registry before the church wedding?
churches require that.
what's the poster afraid of?
Oyb answered you well
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 11, 2009
There is nothing wrong with registary, infact that is the only legaaly binding marraige, the others are mere ceremonies. Having a court weding gives you, your wife and kids the protection of the law in case of any eventualities.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Omolola1(f): 11:36am On Feb 11, 2009
there is nothing wrong in your wife taking you to the registry. She just want to be secured!
Besides she does not want you to kick her ass out of your house without nothing when she's rugged! grin
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by mogentle(m): 1:25pm On Feb 11, 2009
The guy want to know the IMPLICATION of Registry Wedding and i dont think any of you has answered him. GO STRAIGHT TO THE POINT PLS.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 14, 2009
Ok, Implications of court wedding.
1. It is the only legally binding marraige, so it makes your marriage legal.
2. It automatically makes your wife/ husband and children in case of death automatic beneficiaries of your estate, this means if you die without a will, no relative can come and claim your property and throw your wife and chidren out
3. it makes your children friut of a legal union.
4. Church weddings, traditional weddingsn are all ceremonies and fanfare, this is the only legally recognized wedding
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by outlaws(m): 3:28am On Feb 17, 2009
cool

Most people I know do the court marriage first to be able to live together and have kids and when they get enough dollars then they have the big wedding.

Mr. poster you shouldn't be afraid unless you are not ready for marriage. Going to court also make your marriage legal which means to break it you have to have your lawyer do the paper work and if you make more money than hers. You would have to divide your assets by two. With your worthly goods remember that line in marriage? Yep. I don't even remember the rest. Women remember every line.

My thing is, if you are getting married you should know your partner very well. I mean you should know him/her more than your parents. If you don't you are joking. If you are afraid of her taking advantage of your wealth maybe you don't know her. If you know her as a gold digger and you still want to marry her, well you should know the outcome, she will dump you and run with your cash when the time comes, is just that simple.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by brownbonno(m): 4:54am On Feb 18, 2009
http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/26992/84/

http://allafrica.com/stories/200901230322.html

"Although the 1914 and 1970 Acts do not govern marriages under Native Law
and Custom, they stipulate that persons who have contracted a marriage in accordance
with the provisions of either the 1914 or 1970 Act cannot contract a valid customary
marriage. To do so is an offence carrying a mandatory sentence of imprisonment.
Similarly, where a person is already married under Customary Law, a second marriage
under statute will be invalid and punishable by imprisonment."

Thus,technically traditional marriage is recognised.
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 20, 2009
**osisi:

I thought everybody went to the registry before the church wedding?
churches require that.
what's the poster afraid of?
Oyb answered you well

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

i take it all back smiley
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by tpia: 12:31pm On Feb 20, 2009
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 20, 2009
tpia:

una don offend o[b]yb papa fineboy for here oh.[/b] undecided  undecided undecided

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: My Wife Taking Me To Registry. by Chookym(m): 2:11pm On Mar 26, 2009
There is nothing wrong in going to the registry unless u have a hidden agenda. Feal free pal.

(1) (Reply)

How To Handle Favouritism And Partiality In The Family / Staying Together Only For The Children. / My Husband Not Father Of My Three Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.