Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit (31524 Views)

Ecobank May Shut Down 70 Branches Nationwide / UNIZIK Student Ptotests Against Ecobank As ATM Debits Her Without Dispensing / Someone Paid Me With Fake 1000 Note. What Will I Do?? Pics!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by bayulll01(m): 10:36am On Feb 20, 2015
I read all the comment here and I think there is something you guys don't know about Atm machine,its works on the principle of cabbage in and garbage out,yes you can experienced fake not being dispensed in an atm machine as a result of cash that was loaded initially,it could be an error,negligence,or stupidity on the Tellers or the custodians handling the machines,when atm dispense a fake note don't cause a scene just walk kindly to the Bm of the bank complain to him,a cctv camera is always around to check your claim
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by wagazala: 10:39am On Feb 20, 2015
I was also paid a fake #1000 note by UBA ATM on Awolowo road Alausa. It was a Sunday and no witnesses, i still have the note with me. I didnt even know it was fake until i was handed the note back at a shop, all i thought was that the note was probably washed in someones pocket. I didnt bother going to the bank as i know Nigerian banks will not help but i am glad at this thread. I believe there is some sort of fresh influx of fake notes in our system...so everybody SHINE YOUR EYE!!!
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 20, 2015
Firstly an ATM can pay you fake note. It's the work of the ATM custodian to sort the cash and load the machine. If he put a paper...anything with the specifics of a Naira note, the machine would happily pay you.

If you even put a 200 Naira note in a cassette for N1000, the machine would still pay you that N200 as N1000. It's only a machine...programmed to dispense cash

...but then it could have been an oversight or outright fraud on the part of the ATM custodian.

The fact that the security man was your witness and the Operations Head still didn't reimburse you, that's the part I don't understand. That's where you have a case, not because you said you were paid a counterfeit note.

The thing you would understand is, if every tom, d*ck and harry walks into the bank everyday claiming shortage/mutilated or fake notes...and they reimburse all of them - I don't know what would have been the case of the bank/bankers by now.

1 Like

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 20, 2015
pasino26:
Were it from someone else I would have given reasons why it will be impossible for an atm machine to dispense counterfeit naira notes. But an atm machine in Omoku Rivers State after series of withdraws yesterday 19/2/15 dispensed a counterfeit #1000 note. It was a shocker. I immediately alerted the security men there, they advised I wait till 8am when the bank usually opens and all other witnesses around were filled with awe. Finally they opened their doors to customers around 8:30am I walked in and got a bigger surprise; the senior officer or operations manager said there's a possibility I had it on me that I should write a complaint and attach the note (story for the gods). So my dear good people of NL. How do I handle this? I still have the note with me. Lest I forget, there and then a security guard offered me #500 for that same note but I refused. My anger was the attitude of the customer relations officer and whoever the operations manager was for saying I had it on me. I had to collect phone numbers of people who witnessed the incident. So give me the best way to get them not to make such expensive mistake again.

Bro, this same thing happened to a particular woman, on Tuesday, she was in my front in Shoprite trying to pay with 1000 Naira she just collected from atm and those guys just collected the money and told her the money was fake and immediately perforated it.

It seems our banks are now disbursing fake notes.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by babestella: 10:56am On Feb 20, 2015
alienvirus:
The head of operation should be sacked and arrested.

Please tell us how and why the head should be sacked. What about the ATM custodian who loads the cash on day to day basis and reports only to the need of operation. The head only need to know that the ATM is working fine, network is good and cash is available. When it comes to the content of the ATM, the ATM custodian must be held accountable because he loads the cash.

Secondly, bulk tellers are also culpable because they receive money, count and strap. They could exchange fake for original currencies during operation and no one will detect until such cash is paid out over the counter by another teller or by ATM.

You don't just sack heads for other people unpredictable way of life and behavior. HR must do a thorough job before employing anyone. In one experience, a teller stole 1 million naira from his own till, at the end of the day his account did not balance. He tried to play victim, but the head insisted he must provide the money. Their regional supervisor was informed, security had to detain the guy and he was arrested and taken to the police station. The next day he confessed he took the money because he was under pressure to rent a flat and also do his traditional wedding. He already gave it to someone who came to the bank to take the money home.
Even when the CCTV was played back, he was not detected committing the crime.

1 Like

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by inikamoze(m): 10:58am On Feb 20, 2015
lovely17:
my own funny this last Tuesday my first bank ATM.card got stuck in UBA bank Atm I was That time the bank was close so I had to wait till the next day no probs woke up the next day bounced to the bank then I met the shock of my life I was told the ATM as been destroyed that day was not smiling I almost tore that bank down and new ATM was 1000 the manager had to give me 2k for conpesation as nd 1k for new atm it was not funny no be small thing so @op no dull at all threathen fire and hailstorm they will refund the money

Punctuation marks are FREE. Bros pls use them... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by menix(m): 11:03am On Feb 20, 2015
[quote
author=k9ine post=30907277]
Interesting you said I am asleep, then you are awake. ok na.
If he does'nt shake them legally nothing will happen, they will dash him
some 'coins' and it will repeat itself. Are you not surprised that a
security man at the bank was offering to buy the fake note for N500,
what do you think he was going to do with it - frame it and hang it on
the wall of his home as a spoil of war.
A staff is playing smart there.[/quote]

oga ve u not spent counterfeit in dis life abi u skooled in france, d security man was only trying to feed himsef wiv d 500 he will mk cous he will certainly spend it.

Wat u ve jst concluded is dat a family of 10 kids should be labelled thieves jst bcous okon stole egg frm d neigbourhood.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Ninapha(f): 11:03am On Feb 20, 2015
candy:
@op, please don't destroy the money. Write the said letter, make photocopies, take pictures of you attaching the fake note, before you hand them the letter.

It happened to me, though mine was paid over the counter. I couldn't identify the fake note because the money I withrew was huge and this was on friday. I only detected on monday when I paid the fake note along with other good ones. I rushed back to the bank around 12noon and gently walked to the cashier who denied paying me. The manager changed the money from his pocket when I told him I was going to petition the bank.

In other words, they know their staff play smart. Don't let it go without a fight. You have witnesses, I didn't. It's just a thousand, but imagine if they are allowed to dispense without caution.

i did not want to reply on this issue but when u said the manager gave u the money cos u said u were going to petition them, i knew u must be a joke.

U cannot, do u know why? On the wrapper is written, pls cross-check and ascertain the content of this wrapper before leaving.

2. U wd be the one running away from that case and as for the person saying he cashed counterfit, hhmm, hv u heard the word'censor'
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by bibiking7(m): 11:07am On Feb 20, 2015
A friend of mine once got a hundred naira note amidst the one thousand naira notes the machine dispensed for him. The 100 naira note was counted as a thousand. It was on a weekend. When he want back there, they did not believe him. cant remember the final outcome though.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by iamodenigbo1(m): 11:26am On Feb 20, 2015
fraud
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by sccofield(m): 11:35am On Feb 20, 2015
please if you can sue them please. This nonsense must stop. Had the same experience with Access Bank and the stupid staffs kept on saying I was the one that brought the fake money to the bank after I complained that it was withdrawn from their ATM.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by muchluv(m): 11:37am On Feb 20, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Firstly an ATM can pay you fake note. It's the work of the ATM custodian to sort the cash and load the machine. If he put a paper...anything with the specifics of a Naira note, the machine would happily pay you.
If you even put a 200 Naira note in a cassette for N1000, the machine would still pay you that N200 as N1000. It's only a machine...programmed to dispense cash
...but then it could have been an oversight or outright fraud on the part of the ATM custodian.
The fact that the security man was your witness and the Operations Head still didn't reimburse you, that's the part I don't understand. That's where you have a case, not because you said you were paid a counterfeit note.
The thing you would understand is, if every tom, d*ck and harry walks into the bank everyday claiming shortage/mutilated or fake notes...and they reimburse all of them - I don't know what would have been the case of the bank/bankers by now.

You just said my mind. Banking in Nigeria has advanced and the pressure on ATMs have quadrupled. so also the rate of error while loading the machines as some custodians might load and sort milions of cash daily hence counterfeit might slip through.
the way the issue was handled was the main crux here. once the operatioons manager was able to confirm that you actually did the withdrawal in his machine, he should have replaced it and make the customer happy while the matter is investigeted in house and prevent aggravation. since you didnt leave and then return later to make the claim
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by bamdexfarms(m): 11:49am On Feb 20, 2015
MY OPINION: from my experience as a bank teller (not any more), such incidents happen often. some tellers will collect fake notes by mistake and when they discover, they will hide the fake note among other packs of same currency. this is to avoid paying for the fake note collected. the packs of notes might then be used to load the ATM machine.

from your story, you have taken all the right steps. from notifying the security to approaching the bank officer early next day and collection of witness numbers. the best option for now is to get the contact center number of ecobank (always displayed at every branch), their email, the name of the branch that dispensed the fake note, the name of the rude banking officer, the name of security officer and numbers of witnesses. call the call center and tell them of the incident (or mail them). or better still, go to the branch and tell them that if the money is not changed, you will call the call center and report the incident and u will also tell them how rudely the officer attended to you (tell the officer you will mention his name). i am very sure they wont even hesitate to give you your money and apologize. every branch fears their call center because no staff will want to be implicated. if possible place your phone on audio recording when u go to the bank next time. GOOD LUCK.

2 Likes

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by trux(m): 12:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
it happened to my wife last year the same bank in Lagos
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
muchluv:

You just said my mind. Banking in Nigeria has advanced and the pressure on ATMs have quadrupled. so also the rate of error while loading the machines as some custodians might load and sort milions of cash daily hence counterfeit might slip through.
the way the issue was handled was the main crux here. once the operatioons manager was able to confirm that you actually did the withdrawal in his machine, he should have replaced it and make the customer happy while the matter is investigeted in house and prevent aggravation. since you didnt leave and then return later to make the claim
lolss. Very true

The cash goes through the bulk tellers, they could easily swap the notes. Considering the millions the custodian has to sort - he might not detect it.

They are always quick to shout sue, petition...imagine someone here claiming she left the banking hall with cash. Then came back to claim there was a fake note, threatened to sue and they reimbursed her. It's so dumb, because the instruction is "confirm your cash before leaving the point of withdrawal".

It's this their oversabi attitude that makes HOPs discharge them without due consideration.

The only crux I see here is the way the HOP handled the issue. There are different versions of a story - we have heard only the OP's.

2 Likes

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by chidooh1: 12:11pm On Feb 20, 2015
You allowed your ears to hear and accept nonsense from them. It happened to me in lagos, we discovered a day after and rushed back to Eko bank, u need to see what happened, everybody was begging us including their security men we threatened the brand manager to the extent that he took us to his office with serious begging. The one thousand note was replaced and we ordered him to distroy the counterfeit which he did immediately. We took over the bank, all operations stopped they begged and told us not to tell outsiders. It took only two of us to achieve that, don't fear arrange ur friends and embark on a serious mission there. That branch is aware of that, that's what they do they collaborate with fraudsters to help sale counterfeit for them.

1 Like

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 20, 2015
Abbey2sam:

wanna sue a bank?

If he has d contacts,d resources & a good lawyer, why not?

1 Like

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by IbkD: 12:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
[b][/b]
whirlwind7:
Sick country.
It is apparent in everything: From the security personnel who offered to buy the counterfeit note to the operations manager who couldn't think about confirming your claims first via the CCTV attached to the ATM.

I thought these machines can detect fake notes and have them destroyed promptly...?
Wont be surprised if a machine in Naija dispenses a blank piece of paper cut to the size of currency notes.
. Lol @ blank paper. This same thing happened to me at Diamondbank mushin. I didn't notice till I paid in the maret and the guy promptlyu returned it. Thank God I had been to them earlier and said I needed to withdraw to purchase the item. Ddnt bother going back to the bank cos I knew the op's story is what I would have heard. I planned to tae it back to them as a deposit but unfortunately, I left it in my wallet and my spouse spent it without realising.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Nobody: 12:31pm On Feb 20, 2015
Nigeria our country has a high rate of defective institutions to execute your complaint and ordeal at Ecobank Omuku local branch. The OP is likely a contract staff, how do you think he will handle your issue critically without committing the bank to a liability
But you can make a case to achieve a point.
1: Did the OP manager touched the money?
2: Did the security man touched the money
3: You touched the money, that's for a fact.
If any other persons other than you three touched the money from point of dispense, not before you have lost a case.
The worst scenario becomes, if the loader wore handle gloves, please go back to the bank, and investigate, if some, especially the cashiers wore Hand gloves let me know.
That banks in Nigeria is a source of recycling fake currency is nothing new, it more on the increase during election periods, starting from former C in C Honourable Shagari period.
Morally decayed politicians goes to some countries, mint fake, exchange same for originals in concert with morally decayed bank managers, same politician comes to the street spraying money ........Now You Know.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by mu2sa2: 12:46pm On Feb 20, 2015
Some time last year I met a polceman in uniform at a uba atm point complaining to sb on phone that he came to the atm to withdraw 5k the previous day but 1k note was fake. He said he immediately informed the bank's security, who advised he reported inside. The officer he was directed to flatly refuted him , saying their atm does not dispense counterfeit because the money is checked before loading. I advised the policeman to email their customer care. He thanked me and collected my phone no., saying he would call me. When he called he said on his return to his office he decided to report the matter at Cp's office and the cp ordered that the bank manager be arrested. When police got to the bank, he said the manager started to beg, pleading that the matter be settled and he gave him 1k. I believe fradulent bank staff are behind this scam.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by notoriousbabe: 1:07pm On Feb 20, 2015
Naija a jungle where anything can happen,I hail o
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Chidizman(m): 1:29pm On Feb 20, 2015
Am sorry about that friend ..Just make sure you observe every Protocol and Sue them as the Law demands ..
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
Ninapha:

i did not want to reply on this issue but when u said the manager gave u the money cos u said u were going to petition them, i knew u must be a joke.

U cannot, do u know why? On the wrapper is written, pls cross-check and ascertain the content of this wrapper before leaving.

2. U wd be the one running away from that case and as for the person saying he cashed counterfit, hhmm, hv u heard the word'censor'
For one, I'm a woman and I know how to deal with issues. Don't mess with a woman.

Precisely, this happened sometime in July 2009, at the then Bank PHB(now Keystone) Dugbe(G-Allen Branch), I don't think there was ATM then as I wasn't even living in naija then. I remember counting only the bundles because I saw the cashier(the only cashier that had tribal marks there and a bit elderly) count with machine.

Sometimes, when stuff like this happen at a branch where you have your account officer and they know you well enough as a good customer, they will be more cautious.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by GetUmad: 2:51pm On Feb 20, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Bravo. Only sensible comment I've come across so far. Obviously, you must be a banker. Truth is, when the chips are down in banking system, no official would want to be held by the tail, Hence OP needs to be strategic in his move and i wish him best of luck.
Its a very common case and its a service failure on the part of the bank.

Due to the cunny and unfaithful nature of some Nigerians, such cases are easily swayed off as lies. Thankfully, there's a cctv, pray it was functional at that moment (yes, anything is possible in naija, its possible that particular one covering the area was faulty. Naija and maintenance culture) then u have a case.

2 Likes

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Ninapha(f): 2:53pm On Feb 20, 2015
candy:

For one, I'm a woman and I know how to deal with issues. Don't mess with a woman.

Precisely, this happened sometime in July 2009, at the then Bank PHB(now Keystone) Dugbe(G-Allen Branch), I don't think there was ATM then as I wasn't even living in naija then. I remember counting only the bundles because I saw the cashier(the only cashier that had tribal marks there and a bit elderly) count with machine.

Sometimes, when stuff like this happen at a branch where you have your account officer and they know you well enough as a good customer, they will be more cautious.

well i dont doubt the manager giving u 1000k. Thats going a bit futher to give ur customer exceptional customer service. It sure cd happen when u are paid over the counter but remember banks hv policies even though most are unknow to the customers. When legal issues come up, u wd see it is not what u envisaged. I for one wd not hv given u if u ever talk abt petition.

As for counterfeit from ATM. Now when customer drop counterfeit, the machine usually drop it as reject cos it has censor. Talkless of the machine now paying u counter.

Well i can only speak for my bank. I hv every reason to believe what the manager said. No be today we dey see different customers.

Any manager would even accept muilated note rather than a note that has no currency features being paid by ATM.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by TheAdvocate(m): 3:11pm On Feb 20, 2015
If yu had gone ahead to make payment to a petty trader or recharge card seller elsewhere with that fake note without knowing, they would have lynched yu. It is God that saved yu. My simple advice is for you to write to the central bank of nigeria and copy that bank the letter. Let a lawyer write the letter and I assure yu, they will shit in their pants. Don't submit the letter to that branch because they will not work on it rather, send it to their headquarters office and copy that branch. Make sure the letters yu are serving the branch and headquarters are copies of the one stamped received by Central Bank. Best of luck bro.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
Ninapha:

well i dont doubt the manager giving u 1000k. Thats going a bit futher to give ur customer exceptional customer service...

...Well i can only speak for my bank. I hv every reason to believe what the manager said. No be today we dey see different customers.

In as much as I believe the times are hard and people can be desperate, more than ten nairalanders have attested to this. I suggest you speak for yourself as a banker, you can't trust the other bankers.
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by solenzo: 4:06pm On Feb 20, 2015
I understand your annoyance, I have personally had dealings with that branch and I recall it was a memorable one. I was at the branch called Omoku branch of Ecobank to make cash withdrawals over the counter during the festive period. I wrote a request for =N=500,000.00 and made a deposit of =N=150,000.00 on a second thought, but I ended up over paying the cashier in excess of =N=50,000.00. In a bid to catch up with an appointment outside Omoku I dumped the money on the counter with a plea to the cashier to help me process at his convenience, he insisted I wait so that he confirms the cash but I pleaded I only returned the money he paid me only but now. I had no choice but to wait even though I felt a little bit of anger over him been uncooperative, low and behold he handed me back =N=50,000.00 which he told me was excess after re confirming the packets of money I handed him. I was so pleased after I realized my blunder and I thanked him eternally because it was a festive period and there was so much cravings for free cash by most Nigerians. Back to the matter, my dear you should have listened to the Operations head when he told you to write a complaint letter so that the branch can investigate, I believed the operations head was been too confident of the cash loaded on the ATM that's why he boasted the money did not come out from the machine! who wouldn't venture that when you are very confident of your process. But there are bound to be disagreement in every dealings, you should have allowed the branch to investigation the matter first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by xtremeinv(m): 4:17pm On Feb 20, 2015
You all have spoken so well on what actions @pasino should take.

We fail to realize that there are laws.
We have the consumer protection council & there are lawyers who will have a swell time dealing with this corporate demons we call "BANKS"

@Pasino if you get through this please use more E-payment channels henceforth.

Since we all have so many experience of this nature its right that we demand better from the banks by staging an online protest via social media.

GODSPEED NIGERIA!
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by dedarkman(m): 5:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
It's true it's happend I me at first bank akowonjo and when I went in to report they told me that their atm can't pay fake money , that's was when I lost it and after my shouting they had to change it for me .stupid bank . The funniest thing was that it was another bank that even told me it was fake as I wanted to send money to someone
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by AONO: 5:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
If you have account with the said bank then it is very simple. Go to another branch of the bank that you know will be higher in hierarchy than the said branch, apply for closure of your account and in the letter state clearly what happened to you in the other branch and make it the reason you want to close your account trust me if you have reasonable amount in your account they will never let you go
Re: Ecobank ATM Paid Me Counterfeit by djfalone(m): 6:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
Two years ago , i withdrew money from an ATM from First Bank( the Gbagada branch). i decided to buy a few things at a supermarket nearby(the 3rd building from the bank).After i gave the cashier money she screened it with the same ultraviolet light being used for detecting counterfeit notes. She took one good look at me ,concluded i wasn"t the fraudulent type( i had also been patronizing them for a couple of years without issues) and politely told me two of the 1000 naira notes(out of 6k) i paid with were no good. I told her i had just withdrawn them from a First bank ATM.She said they had had similar problems with customers who withdrew money from the same branch. I dropped the items , apologised and marched to the bank. Once the security guards noticed that i was visibly pissed coming back to the bank premises, they swung into action( it was after 4pm, and ,after narrating my experience i had demanded to see the bank manager).One of the guards had let himself through the bullet-proof doors and alerted them there was a guy outside with an axe to grind. See packaging! once they let me in ,one of the female officers(she knew what was going on) feigned ignorance and asked me in a condescending tone what the problem was .If looks could kill ,that woman body go don decay dey form crude oil by now! I narrated ,again ,my ordeal at the ATM and supermarket. I had my reciepts ,card details..etc.She would have none of it. She didn't want to see anything! "our ATM has never dispensed fake naira notes ", she said with a smug look on her face.
I went home , called my financial officer (i use another bank) and narrated everything to her. She came up with a plan.Knowing fully well that if i wanted to lodge a complaint with the bank manager, the banking staff (while harmlessly inquiring what my mission was..)would derail that line of action....to protect their own skin.She told me to sell them the idea i had a business proposal i wanted to discuss with the bank manager( if i recall there are 2 types each bank has....). I went in the next day and reported......the expression on the face of the lady that was rude to me was priceless..lol. All she had to do handle the whole thing in a professional manner (and fish out the bad eggs ,that is, if she sef no dey benefit too). I stuck to my bank ATM afterwards. Bankers are generally sweet people who still manage to smile despite all they are going through.........people will always judge you by your ACTIONS not your INTENTIONS; you might have a heart of gold,but so does a hard-boiled egg!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Has Osinbajo Tamed The Dollar? / Richest Royal Family Of Saudi Is Worth 4 Times More Than Musk, Gates Combined / Farmers To Crash Price Of Rice To N6,000 Per Bag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.