Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,641 members, 7,823,820 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals (1008 Views)

Nigerians React As President Buhari Resumes Office Today / Southeast Governors To Meet In Owerri Over Pro-Biafra Protests - Vanguard / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by Islie: 4:38pm On Feb 22, 2015
Dr Kelechi Nwagwu is the Convener and National Coordinator of South East Professionals for Buhari. In this interview, he explains why the group is supporting Gen Muhammadu Buhari (retd), the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the March 28 election.
Excerpts:

What exactly is the objective of South East Professionals for Buhari?
South East Professionals for Buhari is a political pressure group. We have been Buhari’s supporters since 2011. I had always believed that somebody that has the kind of Buhari’s character, his integrity and incorruptible nature should be supported to clean up the country irrespective of our ethnic, religious and geographical differences. It is a common knowledge that corruption is a major problem that has held this country down for many years. We all saw how this man tackled indiscipline and corruption in his first coming. Unfortunately, that regime was scuttled by the Babangida regime. Now we feel that we should allow the man to renew the battle. But there are lots of misrepresentations, especially in the Southeast. Some have tagged him an Islamic extremist or religious bigot just to misrepresent him to Nigerians. So, our task is to tell our fellow easterners to disregard all these fabrications. When the All Progressives Congress (APC) was first created, it was very difficult to identify with the party especially in the East. But today, APC is making a serious inroad in the region. If we have a free and fair election, it is certain that the party will win in states like Imo and Buhari will score constitutionally required 25 percent in most states in the region. We have been doing neighbor to neighbor campaign. We’ve been going house to house speaking to people. Every rally Buahari had in the east, our members were present.

Where are you getting your funding to carry out this campaign?
That is where passion comes in. When you have passion for a particular course, you will always go out of your way to make sure you achieve that target. The organisation is basically self- funding. You know Buhari does have money to throw around. Up to this moment, this organization has been self-funding. We have some important personalities that are working with us. Also, we have been trying to develop a working relationship with Gen Buhari Campaign Organisation. We have had several discussions with Alhaji Lai Muhammed, the National Publicity Secretary of the APC. We believe it is a good course and we are giving it all support it deserves by maximizing the little funds we can raise individually.

How spread is your organization?
Our presence is largely in the Southeast where we have the largest population of the Igbo. We equally have our presence in Lagos here. For instance, we’ve have been meeting with Igbo at Ladipo market where they sell spare parts. But the bulk of our work is in the Southeast.

Are you now confident that elections will hold as scheduled?
Before official announcement was made of the postponement, I had already got a hint from the Associated Press (AP) on Twitter that Nigeria’s elections would be postponed by six weeks. Later the National Security Adviser spoke about the postponement in London at Chatham House. He was then talking about INEC’s lack of preparedness, but the INEC Chairman told the world that the commission was ready for the election. When the postponement became inevitable, they used Security Chiefs to force INEC to postpone the elections. Though the President has given us his words that there will be no further postponement, I still have my doubts. They gave us six weeks within which they would have crippled the insurgency. If they could not do this in five years, how are they going to do it in six weeks? But since he has assured us that security will no longer be an issue and that elections will go as scheduled, let us believe him and keep praying. They only postponed the election; they cannot kill inevitable victory of our Presidential candidate. We have our PVCs, we will stay to defend our votes and they will see us coasting to victory. They have postponed the election; they have not killed our supporters. The facts that threatened them are still there. The day of reckoning is just some few weeks away.

To what extent have you succeeded in disabusing the minds of the Igbo against the sentiments that form the basis of their opposition to Gen Buhari?
Information is very powerful tool. For most young Nigerians who were not yet born when Gen Buhari emerged as military Head of State, whatever you tell such individuals; there is a tendency that they will believe it. The truth is that Gen Buhari is a good Muslim and his running is also a good Christian, a pastor with the Redeemed Christian Church of God. Through enlightenment campaign, many people have now discovered that most of what they are saying about this man are no true. We have a face book page where we inform people about the character of Gen Buhari and a lot of people like the page. A lot of Igbo are now getting to know that this man is not an Islamic bigot. He has a driver of more than 20 years who is a Christian. He has a cook of more than 20 years also a Christian. If they could drive the man around and cook his food for 20 years without the fear of being killed, isn’t that enough to clear the doubt about the man being a religious bigot? Today, if you go to the East, many prominent Igbo people are now supporting him. A former Governor of Anambra State now a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Senator Ngige is there, Rochas Okorocha, Governor of Imo State is also there. A lot of work is being done to win more support for Buhari. We don’t have money to run radio jingle, but we do one-on-one public enlightenment campaign. What we are doing is presenting the real picture of the man. This is democracy; people are entitled to their choices. We are only helping the people to make a right choice. And, of course, in politics you cannot completely avoid sentiments.

Concerns have been raised about the danger of politicizing the military. What does this portend for the future of this democracy?
We fought a fierce battle to send the military back to the barrack. People like MKO Abiola lost their lives in the process. Power can be very alluring. If you expose bees to the honey, it is difficult to chase them away. We should leave the military out of politics. We have all sorts of security agencies who can provide security during elections so that military can concentrate on protecting the territorial integrity of the country. We have the Police, we have Civil Defence Corps, we have Department of State Security (DSS). These are all civilian security agencies which can provide security during elections. In spite of security challenges facing Afghanistan, election took place in Afghanistan, election took place in Syria, election took place in Egypt. Let us not make this country a laughing stock. For good reasons, elections can be postponed within the limit of the constitution, but you don’t need to drag military into the process because a lot of people will begin to doubt their unbiased position in the electoral process. Why is that all those who went on air celebrating the postponement were PDP supporters? How come foreign media leaked information regarding that postponement before the official announcement? Is somebody buying time? Is somebody afraid of being defeated? Nigeria is the only country we have, let us put our hands on deck to fight corruption. If we fight corruption, we will certainly be a better country.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=105942

2 Likes

Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:45pm On Feb 22, 2015
APC don buy another set of pepul with fake igbo names claiming to be easterners..

Hayfeecee! Una no dey taya
Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by Ikengawo: 4:47pm On Feb 22, 2015
LOL leave us igbo people alone.
Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 22, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
APC don buy another set of pepul with fake igbo names claiming to be easterners..

Stupidd reasoning....

5 Likes

Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by PhockPhockMan: 4:59pm On Feb 22, 2015
ilugunboy:

Stupidd reasoning....
I thought Igbo votes don't matter, Why you people are killing yourselves for it.
Na wa o o.

#IchooseGEJ
Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 22, 2015
Im Igbo and I support Buhari. You can support Azikiwe if you want.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by dre11(m): 5:02pm On Feb 22, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:

I expect you to be better than this .........

But, its the opposite
Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by dre11(m): 5:05pm On Feb 22, 2015
Through enlightenment campaign, many people have now discovered that most of what they are saying about this man are no true. We have a face book page where we inform people about the character of Gen Buhari and a lot of people like the page. A lot of Igbo are now getting to know that this man is not an Islamic bigot. He has a driver of more than 20 years who is a Christian. He has a cook of more than 20 years also a Christian. If they could drive the man around and cook his food for 20 years without the fear of being killed, isn’t that enough to clear the doubt about the man being a religious bigot?

The man just made my day with the gospel truth he spoke there concerning the propaganda that was dished out to people on NTA and AIT......

Haters will always hate this man because he stood by his conviction and the truth

3 Likes

Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by OBAFEMIawolowo: 5:06pm On Feb 22, 2015
I don't think Igbos want Buhari. This is just some set of paid people.

1 Like

Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by waternogetemeny: 5:10pm On Feb 22, 2015
Buhari must collect igbo vote by fire by force but GEJJ cannot collect Fulani vote.

Igbos are the most African orientated tribe in Nigeria so good luck Buhari with his igbo most vote me.

As for all the igbos with me here in my family and village, it is GEJ i hear and see.

GEJ tilll 2019

1 Like

Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by bboshodi: 6:03pm On Feb 22, 2015
waternogetemeny:
Buhari must collect igbo vote by fire by force but GEJJ cannot collect Fulani vote.

Igbos are the most African orientated tribe in Nigeria so good luck Buhari with his igbo most vote me.

As for all the igbos with me here in my family and village, it is GEJ i hear and see.

GEJ tilll 2019
Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by itetemi: 6:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
front page now oya
Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
This man better not put up his pic in this interview cos he'll definitely get ostracised for sure in the east. Or worst, kicked in the nuts each time he walks the streets of the east
Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
OBAFEMIawolowo:
thank you
Re: Why We Want Buhari As President –southeast Professionals by sunkanmivaughan: 6:30pm On Feb 22, 2015
OBAFEMIawolowo:

This is the beauty of democracy. It can accommodate different shades of opinions. There will be votes for the president even in Gen. Buhari's Daura ward on the election day.

(1) (Reply)

Some Nigerians Make Me Feel Ashamed Most Times. / Creative Campaign Video #crushbh Trending On Twitter / From PDP Nairalanders To APC Nairalanders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.