Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,212 members, 7,829,345 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

SOURCE: What Is "Source" And What Isn't? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SOURCE: What Is "Source" And What Isn't? (331 Views)

How Fayose Begged Zenith Bank To Cover Up The Source Of His Election Funds - SR / God Is Source Of My Achievements In Govt –uduaghan / If This Is True Then Why Isn't This Woman Arrested Yet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

SOURCE: What Is "Source" And What Isn't? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 25, 2015
To seun, Afam4eva, OAM4J, Ikenna351, maclatunji, Ngwakwe, mukina2, r231, Freiburger

[b]Any ardent follower on Nairaland will agree with me that one of the shortest way of getting your thread on the front page is through providing the source of the information you are spreading.

Initially, when the whole "source" thing started, reputable media organisations and reliable channels of information were used as sources to give credibility to the information being passed. Sadly this noble idea has now been bastardized, every online quarter (including facebook, blogs looking for traffic, unverified twitter handles, gossip platforms etc) is now being used as "source" thereby misinforming many Nairaland users.

Take for example, today this topic made front page: "Villagers Burn Suspected Bank Robber To Death (Viewers Discretion STRONGLY Advised)", the source of this story was a facebook page. Whereas the story was also carried by leadership newspapers and could be said to be reliable, Nairaland chose a facebook page that mischieviously attached fake pictures to buttress its claim, one of the pictures attached was that of a photograph taken by Jerome Delay (who works for AP) in Bangui, Central Africa. The other pictures didn't just align!!

Yet another example, this topic also made frontpage (I also noticed many online sites carried it): "Boko Haram Terrorists Captured By Cameronian Soldiers ( Photo)", the picture is however that of Chadian troops standing guard over Union of Resistance Forces (UFR) rebels captured during the battle of Am Dam in 2009.

As it stands, I can create a facebook account where I would fabricate stories and look for pictures to back them up and "bang", I'm on front page? A lot of falsehood is being spread on Nairaland these days, lets keep some sanity, Sources of information should be restricted to reputable media organisations and reliable online channels. It is understood that MODs cannot control the topics one starts on nairaland, but they can atleast ensure some form of "reliability" for Nairaland by thoroughly scrutinizing its front page.

[/b]

(1) (Reply)

Chatham House Lecture: Buhari Promises To Tackle Terrorism - / Police Arrest Benue Syndicate With 12,000 Pvcs / Nigerian Elections: Are We Ready For The Petitions? |aruoture John

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.