Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,499 members, 7,840,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved (1147 Views)

Nigerian Railways Resumes Haulage Of Containers / Railways: Jonathan Lacked Vision –obasanjo / Atiku To Buhari: Reverse PHCN Privatisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by kmariko: 4:31am On Feb 26, 2015
Privatisation bill for Nigerian railways approved
Written by Kevin Smith

NIGERIA's Federal Executive Council has approved the Nigerian Railway Authority Bill 2014, which will open up railway operations to the private sector and relinquish government control of railway infrastructure, which dates back to the 1957 Railway Act.

The bill allows the private sector to build, operate and maintain the 3557km of 1067mm-gauge infrastructure which is currently the guise of Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC). The bill has been sent to the National Assembly for debate and final approval before it is implemented.

NRC says it requires private investors and modern technical expertise to revive Nigeria's poorly-maintained railway, which consists of two main lines from Lagos to Nguru and Port Harcourt to Maiduguri.

Nigerian presidential spokesman, Dr Reuben Abati, said the railways bill is part of the Cabinet Committee's report on the draft transport sector reform bills. "The existing laws governing the transport sector are mainly public sector driven and largely constrained by limited autonomy, conflicting and sometimes overlapping functions," he says.

The approval of the bill now revives the delayed plans for three separate concessions of 25-30 years for private firms to operate the western, central and eastern railway corridors.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/policy/privatisation-bill-for-nigerian-railways-approved.html

1 Like

Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by ROCKJ1(m): 4:39am On Feb 26, 2015
That's a welcome development
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by Ikengawo: 4:41am On Feb 26, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by mojounited(m): 5:57am On Feb 26, 2015
Way to go! With this good news, we can expect more investment in the railway sector, better service delivery and potential jobs for our teeming youth.

I still advocate for turnaround maintenence or complete resuscitation of Ajaokota Steel plant for our steel mills to start churning out composite steel used for manufacturing of various materials and equipment for the railway, defense, power, automotive and other industries as it would be a major boost to our economy. If all else fails and that junk yard still can't roll out steel from its mills to support our manufacturing base, it should be privatised as well. Enough with the p*55y-footing abeg.
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by KHAYGOLD(m): 6:04am On Feb 26, 2015
I pray GEJ doesn't provatize me and my family someday...IJN. Amen

1 Like

Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by Nobody: 6:06am On Feb 26, 2015
KHAYGOLD:

Please go to school first, nobody will privatize the uneducated.

12 Likes

Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by Nobody: 6:15am On Feb 26, 2015
When they privatise all the sectors, what then would a responsible government do for her citizens? Fold their hands and watch them wallow in poverty because the so called privatised power sector has yet to bear any fruit whatsoever. undecided

1 Like

Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by KHAYGOLD(m): 6:15am On Feb 26, 2015
gbl01:

Read between the lines before quoting me. One thing is to go to school, another thing is to be educated. It is your type that says literacy is education. GEJ's cohort....
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by KHAYGOLD(m): 6:18am On Feb 26, 2015
Johnpaul88:
When they privatise all the sectors, what then would a responsible government do for her citizens? Fold their hands and watch them wallow in poverty because the so called privatised power sector has yet to bear any fruit whatsoever. undecided

He's also gonna privatize the citizen now. A very lazy government that always shy away from responsibilities. All they know is to share revenue among themselves. No initative whatsoever on how to manage the whooping wealth of the nation. Awon oponu oshi.
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by M4gunners: 6:22am On Feb 26, 2015
gbl01:

That was good.100 likes for this.

2 Likes

Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by clevvermind(m): 6:26am On Feb 26, 2015
KHAYGOLD:
provatize? grin this guy needs help.
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:48am On Feb 26, 2015
Good
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by LeStylo: 7:43am On Feb 26, 2015
gbl01:

The rant is needless. He was only being sarcastic!
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 26, 2015
KHAYGOLD:

Read between the lines before quoting me. One thing is to go to school, another thing is to be educated. It is your type that says literacy is education. GEJ's cohort....

We'll read between the lines when you mind your spellings
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by Nobody: 8:09am On Feb 26, 2015
LeStylo:

The rant is needless. He was only being sarcastic!

Sarcasm? You need to read his posy and mine-but do it slowly, you might understand thereafter
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by deskossy(m): 8:25am On Feb 26, 2015
in most developed countries, the railway is in d hands of private sectors. .....this is d way to go......but i hope it isn't sold to dangote and his cliques of billionairs.....na dem go still buy am jare
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by Bloodydemon: 8:32am On Feb 26, 2015
Buhari is a terrorist
Apc Is bokoharam
Gej till 2019
Re: Privatisation Bill For Nigerian Railways Approved by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 26, 2015
God bless Adams smith!

(1) (Reply)

How Akinwunmi Adeshina's AFDB Ambition Led To Nigeria Morroco Spat / Why Jonathan Will Lose Woefully In The South West– Buhari Campaign Organisation / Breaking News!!! Apc Nasarawa State Secretary Moves To Pdp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.