Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Nigeria's Attorney Withdraws Anti-pvc Affidavits, Claims He Didn't Know - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Attorney Withdraws Anti-pvc Affidavits, Claims He Didn't Know (565 Views)

Dino Melaye Reacts To Claim That He Didn't Graduate From ABU Zaria By SR. / ATTORNEY GENERAL ADOKE WITHDRAWS PRO-PDP Rigging, Anti-PVC Affidavits / Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Attorney Withdraws Anti-pvc Affidavits, Claims He Didn't Know by Sanchez01: 9:06am On Feb 26, 2015
The Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Bello Adoke, has claimed ignorance of his own affidavit to scuttle the use of Permanent Voter Cards (PVC) in Nigeria’s elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Mohammed Adoke

Thee Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Bello Adoke, has claimed ignorance of his own affidavit to scuttle the use of Permanent Voter Cards (PVC) in Nigeria’s elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

In a press statement on Wednesday in response to the SaharaReporters’ story, Mr. Adoke stated that the two affidavits which were filed by his own staff in the Ministry of Justice without his permission, but that he was accepting responsibility for the incident.

In the story, which we published yesterday, we reported that in one of two affidavits aimed at positioning President Goodluck Jonathan to win next month’s election, Mr. Adoke argued that if the election was conducted using the cards, the “constitutional right of the many eligible voters would be taken away from them,” and that the election “is likely to be unsuccessful if rigid use of the Permanent Voters’ Card is carried out.”

We also reported that in a second affidavit, Mr. Adoke also argued that “the use of card readers and/or any other machine at the general elections must encourage eligible voters to vote without being deprived in any way.”

On Wednesday, Mr. Adoke denied knowledge of the affidavits.

“While, the deponent, (Lawrence Illop) and Messrs Taiwo Abidogun and N.S. Odusola who signed the Written Address in Support of the Counter Affidavit are staff of the Federal Ministry of Justice, I wish to state that the Officers did not avail me the opportunity of perusing or vetting the Affidavit and Written Address before they were filed,” he claimed.

He stated that in the Federal Ministry of Justice, the Attorney General is normally availed copies of all court processes prepared in reply to suits against the Office and his opinion first obtained especially in sensitive suits such as the one in question before such processes are filed, but not in the current case.

He further stated that although the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and the Independent National Electoral Commission are co-defendants in the suit [No. FHC/ABJ/06/15] instituted by the Society For Advancement & Protection of Public Rights seeking the interpretation of sections 77 (2) and 112 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as well as section 9(5) of the Electoral Act, “I wish to categorically state that I was not aware of the contents of the Counter Affidavit deposed to by Lawrence Illop and did not authorize it.”

Blaming the officers responsible for not adhering to procedure, Mr. Adoke said he had directed the processes to be withdrawn to enable an appropriate response to be filed to the originating summons.

He announced that a query is to be issued to the officers concerned.
Source: http://saharareporters.com/2015/02/25/nigerias-attorney-general-adoke-withdraws-anti-pvc-affidavits-claims-they-were-filed
Re: Nigeria's Attorney Withdraws Anti-pvc Affidavits, Claims He Didn't Know by buygala(m): 9:10am On Feb 26, 2015
Mumu puppet being strung around by his clueless master undecided

Confusion everywhere in the PDP camp

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Attorney Withdraws Anti-pvc Affidavits, Claims He Didn't Know by Sanchez01: 9:12am On Feb 26, 2015
“I wish to categorically state that I was not aware of the contents of the Counter Affidavit deposed to by Lawrence Illop and did not authorize it.”
You need not explain further as we know who did...

I don't understand why the PDP is jittery over the use of the PVC. It's understandable that the card reader scares them and that buying the PVCs of hungry Nigerians is tantamount to waste. If they're confident that their candidate had been working over the past 3 years, what then are they afraid of

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Attorney Withdraws Anti-pvc Affidavits, Claims He Didn't Know by Ashleyma77(m): 9:15am On Feb 26, 2015
Just how far will that party go to prevent the victory of the people's general?.even with all the gimmicks, Nigerians will still

#march4buhari
Re: Nigeria's Attorney Withdraws Anti-pvc Affidavits, Claims He Didn't Know by omenka(m): 9:18am On Feb 26, 2015
Serious Agbaya na hin this man be. Even the face alone tells you he's a crook, just like Tafa Balogun's. Buhari must throw him in jail as well.

SR has been an invaluable partner in the quest to bring some much needed sanity into the way the Nigerian government conducts her business. God bless Sowore. And God bless Seun as well (even though I don't fancy most of his opinions as regards politics).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do We Thank GEJ After Losing 13000 Lives To BOKO HARAM? / Aerial shots taken with DJI Phantom 2, GoPro, dji S1000, Canon 5D Mark III at Ja / Fani-kayode Needs Head Check!-apc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.