Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,224 members, 7,829,372 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Kano Pillars Fc Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Kano Pillars Fc Website (1847 Views)

Happy Holiday From FC Rentals / Obama \ Enyimba Fc Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Pillars Fc Website by auwal87(m): 2:27pm On Jan 10, 2009
http://www.pillarsfc.com

Now http://www.kanopillars.com

Give your Comments and Suggestions here
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by pie1ect(m): 3:15pm On Jan 11, 2009
Are you the one who installed this site?

With a little bit of work, you could have transformed this Joomla site to something unique. Instead it bears the prints of raw Joomla all over it.

For one, take out the content parameters ("written by" and others including those icons), except you are trying to create a blog, which would be weird.

Sorry, I just think if you are going to build a website with a content management system, then try to make it as unique as possible because everyone else has the same base code as yourself and you don't want your site looking exactly like mine.

On the bright side, I really like the template, and the colors seems to match. However, you really should look at the formating of the content under "team" and "fixtures".

Best of luck.
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by yawatide(f): 10:11pm On Jan 11, 2009
1) Make the logo/banner area at least 1/4 height of what it is now
2) Use some joomla plug-in to implement the "team" section. I am thinking photo gallery/slide show.

Perhaps you can use this for insipiration/motivation (done by a fellow NLer and also a CMS): http://www.enyimbafc.net/

Note, I said, "use this for insipiration/motivation" as opposed to "lift" but of course, we all know you wouldn't do that  tongue

Other than that, pie1ct has said it all.
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by Mustay(m): 4:06pm On Jan 12, 2009
why not try creating a FAVICON for the site?
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by Afam4eva(m): 6:49pm On Jan 12, 2009
The site does'nt look like a sports site.
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by Afam4eva(m): 6:53pm On Jan 12, 2009
Eyimba's website looks more bam
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by auwal87(m): 6:31pm On Jan 14, 2009
Hi Fellows,

I thank you all for your comments, suggestions, and advises.

@pie1ect

Thanks, transformation takes a little time, in the meantime, presenting contents is the most important task.
The default settings have not being edited yet, that is why you are seeing the 'written by', but what is the problem with print, pdf, email, icons?

@yawa-ti-de

Thanks, actually I was trying to design a celebratory banner with decoration and a winning cup referring to their winning in the 08/09 NPL. In anyway, I will edit the banner.

Yes, the "team" section has photo gallery, but the photos are not ready yet, as such I can't provide an empty link.

@ mustay

Favicon is a last resort, I mean its very easy, and should be considered when done.

@ afam4eva

Yes, because no contents now, I like Eyimba's webite also, it looks very professional, but I don't have the damn time to make it like Eyimba's site. Imagine, I made that in less than 24 hours (Installation of joomla and all modules, components and customization). So I think if I spend more time on the site I will present more "bam".
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by yawatide(f): 8:17pm On Jan 14, 2009
Yes, because no contents now, I like Eyimba's webite also, it looks very professional, but I don't have the damn time to make it like Eyimba's site. Imagine, I made that in less than 24 hours (Installation of joomla and all modules, components and customization). So I think if I spend more time on the site I will present more "bam".

Hmmm, when you say you don't have the damned time, does that imply you weren't paid any damned money (as in, it wasn't part of your statement of work)? wink

You did the site in less than 24 hours? No wonder. How do you measure the success of a website project? By how many you can churn out per hour or by how solid your architecture is by project hand off (layout, maintainability, reuse, etc)? I bet you that in developing the site in such haste, you probably forgot (as in, you knew about them but were so busy trying to get it out the door, or did you know? cool) about certain things.

As a rule, even if I can get a site done in 24 hours, I tell the client it will take at least 2 weeks. This allows for a solid architecture, testing and incorporating any feedback from the client, etc. Web dev is not a competitive game, it's a business and we should treat it as such. Granted some might use it to earn extra money, there are some (like me grin) who use it to put food on the table. Doing crappy work gives all of us a bad name.

Take the above into consideration when next you do a site. I bet you will thank me at some point wink
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by pie1ect(m): 11:43pm On Jan 14, 2009
@ Yawa,

My thoughts exactly.

@ Auwal
A little bit of advice first. To save you time and stress, get a local copy of Joomla on your localhost (web server), install and customise the global configuration, content parameters and any other custom features you want on the site. This copy of Joomla can then be used as the 'base' for any future Joomla projects you have, instead of installing a fresh copy anytime you want to create a "website" - Work smart and earn more (Yawa's advice). Also if you have to do a fresh install, skip the "install sample data" part. It really could save you a ton of work later.

auwal87:

Thanks, transformation takes a little time, in the meantime, presenting contents is the most important task.
The default settings have not being edited yet, that is why you are seeing the 'written by', but what is the problem with print, pdf, email, icons?

Configuring your Content parameters and global configuration should be your first task really. Also configuring the index page parameters is also important. These two tasks combined wil take you about 10-15 mins maximum if your internet connection is really slow. But you have your priorities and I respect that. However, the site is currently LIVE, as in I can type in pillarsfc[dot]com and see what you have put up so far. If the site is in development and this is not its final destination, then that's ok.

The problem with those icons is that they are only useful on certain types of websites and for certain types of audiences. On this particular website, I fail to see the need for those icons. Joomla comes with all sorts of extra stuff as does any other CMS. It's up to you to figure out if your audience needs those "stuff" or not.

Here's some custom features I'd suggest.

- Remove your login module and make it accessible from a link instead. In its place, you could add links to content or add pictures using a "highslide" component or plugin.
- Instead of having lots of content intro on the frontpage, use modules to present content links and images. In this case, you can have only the latest news update show up with the 'intro' on the frontpage or even use "photoslide" component to present news in image format.

You can create anything with Joomla. You just have to give yourself time to do it properly.

PS: Take yawa's advice about timeframes. She knows a thing or two about it.
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 16, 2009
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by yawatide(f): 12:56pm On Jan 16, 2009
meetnoedig,

And therein lies my frustration. Why must there be an "it's okay by nigerian standard" level? Why can't it be an international web standard, even if Nigeria's standard is higher than the international?
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by Mustay(m): 9:02pm On Jan 16, 2009
Messrs Yawa, na wa o.

Dem say we too dey copy copy like alaba boys and we like am like that sef.

If you want to do anything, go for the best and stop playing second-fiddle or live being 'substandard'!
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by OmniPotens(m): 10:15am On Jan 17, 2009
I've been in here always but silent. I just can't keep quiet any longer.

I'm not happy at all reading up this issue of "Nigerian standard" in here. This wasn't any bit funny seeing. How would someone who wants to achieve greatness be talking about something like that.

meetnoedig:

the website isn't bad,at least for Nigerian standard.

Stop this unnecessary descrimination, bad advice, down-grading and what other adjectives do I have in here
If you are not into this industry, please let it alone for those in it. We fight to get into the guiness book of record with our high-end designs. We can make it. We are getting there. Stop putting down our morale.

/*
.:::gets back into his haven:::.
*/
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by auwal87(m): 3:53pm On Jan 19, 2009
OmniPotens:

I've been in here always but silent. I just can't keep quiet any longer.

I'm not happy at all reading up this issue of "Nigerian standard" in here. This wasn't any bit funny seeing. How would someone who wants to achieve greatness be talking about something like that.

Stop this unnecessary descrimination, bad advice, down-grading and what other adjectives do I have in here
If you are not into this industry, please let it alone for those in it. We fight to get into the guiness book of record with our high-end designs. We can make it. We are getting there. Stop putting down our morale.

/*
.:::gets back into his haven:::.
*/

I agree with you. Let us be as Pro as possible. I have seen very bad websites owned by Nigerians, one example is nigeriamasterweb.com it is very old website but with a lot of contents, he could have become very very popular, but the website looks very ugly "to me though". There are many Nigerian websites worst than that, I think the problem is people like to do everything themselves, they do not want to collaborate with other professionals to create professional content. e.g. You will see one person doing the graphics design, the layout, the coding, animations, all alone.
Re: Kano Pillars Fc Website by OmniPotens(m): 9:37am On Jan 20, 2009
I agree with you but will only comment on the collab issue.

This is one problem our people here are faced with. One person wants to do all the jobs. He doesn't get the much focus he needs even when he/she claims to. I must tell you, "it is a pure lie". Why not keep driving with one hand and making calls with the other hand and let the gear do the change for you on a manual geared car. There are exceptions as in the case of some designs just as in the case of automatic geared cars too.

Coming full to the web/ programming industry, professionalism and profiscency matters alot. Why not get based somewhere and exhibit the best of your skill there, allowing another do the same on another area? We hate collab jobs in this zone of the world and it gets us off most of our achievements. The sooner we stop the "let is all be my concept and credit", the better we become. Why not have it as "It is my concept" but "our credits" for development?

Thanks for bringing me out to talk on this issue. It has really bugged my mind alot. Trying my best to cut it short around my locality the much I can. Others could do the same too.

Cheers!

(1) (Reply)

SMS API For Integration On Any Type Website, System Or Application -joomla & PHP / Wordpress Class ONLINE For NAIRALAND / The Network Meet-up Abuja. Free Free Free! Saturday 16th Sept.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.