Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,276 members, 7,836,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic (1097 Views)

Pictures From Barack Obama 2013 Presidential Inauguration / President Barack Obama's Daughters at the Inauguration / MLK Day USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by NegroNtns(m): 7:31am On Jan 11, 2009
Obama is using President Abraham Lincoln's old Bible to take oath of office at inauguration. If I were his adviser I would suggest using MLK's Bible instead. It's simple!

His re-election in 2012 will not be as easy and a landslide as the 2008, he will be swimming upstream against turbulent currents in four years from now. To prepare the grounds he should reward the Black community for standing behind him in 08. This will more than guarantee their loyalty in the face of all odds against his Presidency.

How can he reward them? Before I go there let us first look at an issue last week from Roland Burris' selection to replace Obama in Senate. Or maybe we should even go back earlier than that. . . wink

In their contact with Blagojevich, the Obama Team allegedly submitted names of candidates the President-Elect favored to replace him. Jesse Jackson Jnr's name was not included. There was no black male in the list. At about that same time, Majority Leader, Harry Reid had also contacted Blago and stipulated that Black candidates are not desirable because they will not earn victory for the party in 2010 in Illinois.

Blago out-maneuvered his critics and nominated a Black person for the replacement. Reid declared he wil not honor any nomination from Blago. Obama declared support for Reid's decision. Ouchh!! That's what you call bad politics. Reid and Obama has since backtracked from their declared stance against Burris' candidacy but what is shocking and unusual is that none of the civil rights leaders expressed disdain for Reid as it was customary for them to do in past similar situations. Doing so now will rub off negatively on Obama. They see Obama as Black empowerement and a symbolic gate crash into mainstream America. But does Obama share their view about his Blackness? It is possible that Obama does not desire to associate himself one way or another in the ethnic tussle and other than a fair image of being the bridge of hope for race conciliation in America. Well. . .

No one can bridge race gaps in America without paying homage to Reverend Martin Luther King. No one, not even the President-Elect. He can try but he cannot circumvent it without incurring some political liabilities along the way. MLK day is on the 19th, the day before inauguration. I sincerely believe that President-Elect Barack Obama should honor the memory of MLK and reward the Black community for their support of his campaign by doing just one thing on inauguration day, take oath of office on MLK's old Bible. This gesture will resoundingly re-commit the Black community behind him, especially at their disgruntle over his choice of Rick Warren to deliver the invocation prayer at inauguration. It is becoming increasingly clear that Obama has an agenda and the word Black is not in it. What more, he walked away from Jeremiah Wright and embraced Rick Warren of all the multitude Black pastors out there.

Now, certain aspects of MLK sacrifice should be mentioned here. His children were 13, 11, 7 & 5 yrs old in 1968 when their father was assassinated. Obama loves his children very much and I know he has often mentioned in public how much and to what length he would go in sacrifice to secure their well being. MLK left the safety of his home, the warm gentle faces of his children and the warm embrace of his loving wife and sacrificed his life so Obama, Michelle and Malia and Sasha and all other black families in America today can enjoy the liberty of life and have a safe and secure well being that does not carry a price on account of the color of the skin. But for the sacrifice of MLK and other civil rights leaders, who dared to field a black candidate for American Presidency, much more win the election and have inauguration into the White House with a full household of black blood? Eh, who dared do that?

NL, give me your thoughts. Should Obama take oath on Lincoln's old bible or MLK's? Lay it on me people. . . grin
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by Seun(m): 7:39am On Jan 11, 2009
The black community alone cannot get Obama re-elected. Obama cannot afford to be partial to blacks.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 12:15pm On Jan 11, 2009
Obama made fool of himself by initially supporting Reid and the rest of those Dems in the senate. Blago's pick of Burris was a smart one! And I'm glad Obama has come around.

I'm beginning to think of Obama less as a black president and more as just another US president. I'll finalize my view about him after he kicks off his administration. That move against Burris, was probably because he wanted to distance himself from the civil rights era blacks. Recall that Bobby Rush, a strong supporter of Burris, defeated Obama in the 2000 US House of Reps race. Maybe Obama didn't like the Rush-factor in the Burris nomination. Anyway, I think Obama should stop distancing himself from civil rights era black politicians and learn to embrace them. I was 100% sure that the Congressional Black Caucus would put their weight behind Burris, the Blago-factor notwithstanding, however, Obama probably didn't see that coming before taking sides with Reid and his gang!
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by bronxdog: 12:19pm On Jan 11, 2009
@Richy

U are a goatie bearded racist.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by Ibime(m): 12:30pm On Jan 11, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Obama made fool of himself by initially supporting Reid and the rest of those Dems in the senate. Blago's pick of Burris was a smart one! And I'm glad Obama has come around.

I'm beginning to think of Obama less as a black president and more as just another US president. I'll finalize my view about him after he kicks off his administration. That move against Burris, was probably because he wanted to distance himself from the civil rights era blacks. Recall that Bobby Rush, a strong supporter of Burris, defeated Obama in the 2000 US House of Reps race. Maybe Obama didn't like the Rush-factor in the Burris nomination. Anyway, I think Obama should stop distancing himself from civil rights era black politicians and learn to embrace them. I was 100% sure that the Congressional Black Caucus would put their weight behind Burris, the Blago-factor notwithstanding, however, Obama probably didn't see that coming before taking sides with Reid and his gang!

My friend, stop yarning your personal feelings. . . . this is politics and there is a due process to follow.

Blago delegitimised his governorship with his corrupt antics. An illegitimate Governor cannot appoint a senator, therefore Burris' senateship is illegitimate ab initio.

The Democratic Party cannot be seen to approve his nomination because they will taint themselves by association.

And yes, Obama is Mr President, not a civil rights activist.

All the civil rights activism he did in his younger days, e never do una?
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 1:41pm On Jan 11, 2009
bronx_dog:

@Richy

U are a goatie bearded racist.

LOL! grin
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 2:13pm On Jan 11, 2009
Ibime:

My friend, stop yarning your personal feelings. . . . this is politics and there is a due process to follow.

Blago delegitimised his governorship with his corrupt antics. An illegitimate Governor cannot appoint a senator, therefore Burris' senateship is illegitimate ab initio.

The Democratic Party cannot be seen to approve his nomination because they will taint themselves by association.

And yes, Obama is Mr President, not a civil rights activist.

All the civil rights activism he did in his younger days, e never do una?

Look at this man grin, if I no yarn my personal feelings na your own "personal" feelings I go yarn?

Blago was not even formally indicted, it was merely a complaint! What happened to the "innocent until proven guilty" phrase? The truth is that Obama showed his ass on that one! He should learn to embrace black politicians older than him, instead of surrounding himself with only white politicians and black women! Obama could have applied political tact and kept quiet after Burris was appointed by Blago. Why punish Burris for the sins of Blago?

If dodo heads like Reid have their way, there would be no black senator in United States Senate! Blago's appointment of Burris was a show of political maturity, and I commend him on that. Yes, Obama has done us proud, but his consistent attitude of distancing himself from male black democrats older than him, is becoming too obvious, and he has to change!

Furthermore, Blago acted within his powers as the governor of Illinois, in appointing Burris.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by Ibime(m): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2009
Sharrap dia!

Obama, like the true democrat he is, stated his preference for a fresh election instead of a Governor's appointment way before this scandal broke.

I see no reason why he shouldn't maintain that line, whether Burris was appointed or not.

Obama was given a mandate to be Americas leader, not a civil rights leader, so just chill with that shit.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 3:40pm On Jan 11, 2009
Ibime:

Sharrap dia!

Obama, like the true democrat he is, stated his preference for a fresh election instead of a Governor's appointment way before this scandal broke.

I see no reason why he shouldn't maintain that line, whether Burris was appointed or not.

Obama was given a mandate to be Americas leader, not a civil rights leader, so just chill with that shit.

And Blago's mandate was given to him by Chinese?

Blago exercised his constitutional duty of appointing a replacement for Obama, and if Obama and Reid don't like it they can go cry to Pelosi, who cares!

Blago is innocent until proven guilty and still the governor of Illinois! No amount of massaging the truth can change that reality!
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by Ibime(m): 4:21pm On Jan 11, 2009
RichyBlacK:

And Blago's mandate was given to him by Chinese?

Blago exercised his constitutional duty of appointing a replacement for Obama, and if Obama and Reid don't like it they can go cry to Pelosi, who cares!

Blago is innocent until proven guilty and still the governor of Illinois! No amount of massaging the truth can change that reality!

And the Chinese also gave the Democrats the mandate to reject Blago's appointment if they think his position is compromised?

Only a brave man such as yourself would stick his neck out for Blago after the FBI have said that they have him on tape. Unless you want to call the FBI liars, Blago's fate is sealed. He is 'morally illegitimate', soon to be 'officially illegitimate' after the court case.

I hope you remember that Obama's commerce secretary has also resigned, despite not being convicted on corruption charges yet.

In your reactionary fervour, you have quickly concluded that Obama and Reid's rejection of Burris' appointment is linked to some intention to keep blacks from progressing. Thats why Bronx-Dog called you a bearded racist. I hope you know that this is a democracy, not the middle-east where you shout "Allahu Akbar!" at any perceived slight.  grin grin grin

How do you even know that Obama would not prefer to be seceded by another black guy?

Just not this black guy (Burris). His appointment has been compromised.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by NegroNtns(m): 5:07pm On Jan 11, 2009
The black community alone cannot get Obama re-elected.  Obama cannot afford to be partial to blacks.

Seun, Happy New Year, long time no see!  

He was being partial against Blacks when he sided with Reid (who wanted to keep an all-White Senate) against Burris and Rick Warren against Joseph Lowery for invocation prayer.   President Clinton was more pro-Black and he did not hide his affection for associating with civil rights leader, he mingled with them.  He mingled with Hispanics.  Obama need to follow in that footstep if he wants to be a President for all.  cheesy

Obama is quick to jump ship and disassociate from stormy situations before evaluating the risks and direction of the wave.  The Burris case and Jerry Wright's issue are two prime examples.  I am waiting with everyone else to see how he Presides months from now.

. . .but Seun, back on the Oath of Office, which Bible do you think he should use?

Richy,

You are dead correct!  Matter of fact it sounds like you wrote this article. . . http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/01/obama_blunders_on_burris.html

Anyway, give me your input on the Oath of Office.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Ibime don come oo . .  grin  My friend which one be illegitimate governor?  Na Nigeria you think say u dey?  Obama was given a mandate by a civil rights base.  He needs to acknowledge their presence and censor Harry Reid for daring to have a dream of an "All White Senate" under his (Obama) Presidency.  Oh, don't make me go off on Obama's short sightedness on this one. . . cool

Abeg give input on the Oath, which Bible should the "legitimate" President use?
_________________________________________________________________________________

Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by Ibime(m): 7:22pm On Jan 11, 2009
I am still waiting for CNN to tell me that Harry Reid said he wants an "all white senate". . . . all I know is that he refused 3 black guys for the seat because he didn't think they were re-electable in the 2012 elections. . . . I would like you guys to give me some url where Harry Reid said any such thing. . . . and I will not accept uhuru.com or blackpanther.com
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by bindex(m): 12:21am On Jan 12, 2009
Ibime:

I am still waiting for CNN to tell me that Harry Reid said he wants an "all white senate". . . . all I know is that he refused 3 black guys for the seat because he didn't think they were re-electable in the 2012 elections. . . . I would like you guys to give me some url where Harry Reid said any such thing. . . . and I will not accept uhuru.com or blackpanther.com
grin grin grin grin This post surely looks like a post from one of those sites.
No one can bridge race gaps in America without paying homage to Reverend Martin Luther King. No one, not even the President-Elect. He can try but he cannot circumvent it without incurring some political liabilities along the way. MLK day is on the 19th, the day before inauguration. I sincerely believe that President-Elect Barack Obama should honor the memory of MLK and reward the Black community for their support of his campaign by doing just one thing on inauguration day, take oath of office on MLK's old Bible. This gesture will resoundingly re-commit the Black community behind him, especially at their disgruntle over his choice of Rick Warren to deliver the invocation prayer at inauguration. It is becoming increasingly clear that Obama has an agenda and the word Black is not in it. What more, he walked away from Jeremiah Wright and embraced Rick Warren of all the multitude Black pastors out there.
grin grin grin Obama is now President elect because of what the blacks did for him, but he is not a civil rights leader as some one has pointed out but the president of the united states. So African Americans should take it easy on the guy, he already has a LOT on his table, from the economic crises to the two wars and the boiling conflict in the middle east, he also has to find a sensible and prudent way of dealing with Iran . He defiantly has more issues to worry about than burris and blogoivich.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by NegroNtns(m): 3:11am On Jan 12, 2009
It is worth repeating here, as I did in another post, that in 2009 I do not intend to vascillate back and forth on topics that stray outside of main theme. Asking for a source where Reid stated he wants an all White Senate is inept and short of understanding of the politics of America. It is a waste of time interpreting it, I need to have civil discourse with people of understanding and sharp mind. All others can step aside please!

The Senate as it is today is all White. Reid admitted he submitted an all White list for desirable replacements and cautioned that Blacks are not desirable. Simple! Now, how else can you interprete that? Oh God, save me from stupid minds!! grin
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 10:17am On Jan 12, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

It is worth repeating here, as I did in another post, that in 2009 I do not intend to vascillate back and forth on topics that stray outside of main theme.  Asking for a source where Reid stated he wants an all White Senate is inept and short of understanding of the politics of America.  It is a waste of time interpreting it, I need to have civil discourse with people of understanding and sharp mind.  All others can step aside please!

The Senate as it is today is all White.  Reid admitted he submitted an all White list for desirable replacements and cautioned that Blacks are not desirable.  Simple!  Now, how else can you interprete that?  Oh God, save me from stupid minds!! grin

Isn't Reid a Mormon? Those racists that, until recently, considered blacks to be subhuman. I'm no fan of Reid!

[b]Racial restriction policy
[/b]Under the racial restrictions that lasted from the presidency of Brigham Young until 1978, persons with any black African ancestry could not hold the priesthood in the LDS Church and could not participate in some temple ordinances, such as the Endowment and celestial marriage. Blacks were permitted to be members of the church, and participate in other temple ordinances, such as baptism for the dead. In her autobiography, Jane Elizabeth Manning James says she "had the privilege of going into the temple and being baptized for some of my dead."[32]

The racial restriction policy was applied to black Africans, persons of black African descent, and any one with mixed race that included any black African ancestry. The policy was not applied to Native Americans, Hispanics, or Polynesians.
--W

Obama must be careful trying to be whiter than he already is. That one is "president of all" does not mean distancing himself from the black caucus! I'll be watching Obama, but his utterances after Burris was duly appointed were bone-headed!

Blago is still the governor of the state of Illinois weather Reid and his gang of white senators like it or not!
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 11:24am On Jan 12, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Richy,

You are dead correct!  Matter of fact it sounds like you wrote this article. . . http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/01/obama_blunders_on_burris.html

Anyway, give me your input on the Oath of Office.

Ibime don come oo . .  grin  My friend which one be illegitimate governor?  Na Nigeria you think say u dey?  Obama was given a mandate by a civil rights base.  He needs to acknowledge their presence and censor Harry Reid for daring to have a dream of an "All White Senate" under his (Obama) Presidency.  Oh, don't make me go off on Obama's short sightedness on this one. . . cool

Negro_Ntns,

Fortunately, I'm not the only keen observer who noticed Obama's blunder. As a former constitutional law professor, Obama has no excuse. He should have known that the legality of the Burris appointment is ironclad! All the rest is just political nonsense.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 11:31am On Jan 12, 2009
Ibime:

And the Chinese also gave the Democrats the mandate to reject Blago's appointment if they think his position is compromised?

Only a brave man such as yourself would stick his neck out for Blago after the FBI have said that they have him on tape. Unless you want to call the FBI liars, Blago's fate is sealed. He is 'morally illegitimate', soon to be 'officially illegitimate' after the court case.

I hope you remember that Obama's commerce secretary has also resigned, despite not being convicted on corruption charges yet.

In your reactionary fervour, you have quickly concluded that Obama and Reid's rejection of Burris' appointment is linked to some intention to keep blacks from progressing. Thats why Bronx-Dog called you a bearded racist. I hope you know that this is a democracy, not the middle-east where you shout "Allahu Akbar!" at any perceived slight.  grin grin grin

How do you even know that Obama would not prefer to be seceded by another black guy?

Just not this black guy (Burris). His appointment has been compromised.

So, if a black man points out that Reid may be a closet racist and that Obama may be listening to too many white voices, then he is racist? Go read wider on this issue, there are many whites who have observed what I have observed. This has nothing to do with me being racist, it has everything to do with the law!

Obama should have applied his knowledge of the law to see through the naivete of Reid's argument. If this goes to the courts, Reid and his gang would be laughed out of court! The senate has no right to stop Burris from seating in the senate. Let us see how this ends.

And stop supporting Obama blindly! If the guy screws up, be bold enough to say "my man screwed up but he's still my man", instead of just nodding in agreement.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 11:40am On Jan 12, 2009
What would Reid and his gang do now?

On January 9, 2009, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that the appointment only required the signature of the governor, the secretary of state's signature is not required to make the appointment valid. It also said Illinois is not obligated to use, and hence its Secretary of State is not required to sign, the Senate's "recommended" certification form.[27] [16] The State Supreme Court noted that a different form was available: White had already registered the appointment in Illinois' official records, and Illinois law requires the Secretary of State to provide a certified copy, with signature and seal, of any of the state's official records to anyone willing to pay the fee. It suggested that Burris simply obtain a certified copy of the appointment registration.[16] Following the ruling, White provided such a copy and Burris delivered it to the Secretary of the Senate.[28] --W
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 11:42am On Jan 12, 2009
@Negro_Ntns,

Without question, MLK's bible!

But Lincoln's would be on my first five picks.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by Ibime(m): 1:27pm On Jan 12, 2009
Please guys, stop all your conspiracy theories and conjectures. Give me some http:// or forget about it.

Harry Reid, as a leader in his party is worried about not losing the seat to Republicans in 2012, that is why he suggested 2 people for the seat, completely different from the 3 that Blago suggested. That they are of different races is not pertinent to this discussion.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by NegroNtns(m): 12:03am On Jan 13, 2009
Information sourcing is required when quoting private works of reference or proprietary ownership. In addition, if there's a RACI ownership (Responsibility, Accountability, Consultation and Information - example : control systems; standards; data analysis reports such as Pareto charts, Data cubes, and so on. . . ) then one is required to quote the source. However, when information exist on public domain and is used for civil disourse then there is no need to source.

Ibime, the information on Reid's statement is in public domain. I suggest you go and find it and validate what I said, instead of asking me to source. That is better for you if you must know. Also, I hope going forward you can now distinguish between proprietary and public information.

I still need your response on the topic. You have said everything else except to stay on theme.
Re: Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic by RichyBlacK(m): 1:15am On Jan 13, 2009
Ibime:

Please guys, stop all your conspiracy theories and conjectures. Give me some http:// or forget about it.

Harry Reid, as a leader in his party is worried about not losing the seat to Republicans in 2012, that is why he suggested 2 people for the seat, completely different from the 3 that Blago suggested. That they are of different races is not pertinent to this discussion.

Ibime!

(1) (Reply)

Japanes Journalist On Middle East / What is The Difference Between Communism And Capitalism? / Omar El Bashir Banned Alcohol In Sudan Then Stocked Up His Palace With Alcohol.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.