Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,917 members, 7,828,201 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity (1480 Views)

Doyin Okupe: No Politician Alive Can Stand Buhari’s Popularity / 5 Ways Election Postonement Reduced Buhari's Chances Off Winning. / APC's Social Media Fails To Improved Buhari's Popularity - Thisday Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by fowowe411: 7:21am On Mar 02, 2015
1.The Recent Military Victories Against Boko Haram
The insecurity in the northeast of the country was the main reason why the elections were postponed. The military chiefs said the army might be unable to provide adequate security during the poll because they will be engaged in counter insurgency operations in the northeast of the country. The elections therefore had to be shifted.Now, the Nigerian Army has recorded significant victories against Boko Haram. These victories began three weeks ago with an assault on Sambisa forest, the notorious hideout of Boko Haram. On February 21, Saturday, the Nigerian army recorded another feat by recapturing the strategic town of Bama in northeastern Borno State from Boko Haram and blocking the sects march on the state capital of Maiduguri. Although President Jonathan has been increasingly criticised for his inaction against the terror group, these recent victories by the army has added boost to his chances in the forthcoming poll. Buoyed by Boko Haram’s retreat, President Jonathan on Tuesday, February 24, said the tide has “definitely turned” against the militants. He has even promised to arrest Boko Haram leader, Shakau before the March 28 election. This new firm stance by the president is likely to win him more fan base among those who might have been skeptical about him.

2.Buhari Has Suffered A Battered Image Through Media Propaganda
The rescheduling of the general election by six weeks has given the PDP ample time to adopt divers media channels in attacking the image of Buhari. The party has now shifted from highlighting the achievements of President Jonathan’s administration to castigating and soiling the Image Of the APC presidential candidate. Buhari’s image has suffered from questions about his health; his dictatorial past; the 2011 post-election violence; and has even been labeled as an Islamist waiting to impose sharia on Nigeria if elected president. In achieving this PDP has sponsored divers groups who wash the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), African Independent Television (AIT) and other media stations with campaigns that raise questions on the character of Buhari. With few weeks to the elections, it is evident that Buhari’s image would suffer more attacks and this may sway many who once saw him as a fitting presidential candidate. With a battered Image courtesy of PDP propaganda, Goodluck Jonathan has gained significant advantage over Buhari.

3.APC Has Ran Out of Campaign Funds
On the 25 of February, Punch Newspaper reported that the APC has embarked on cost-saving measures for its rallies due to the shift in the dates of the general elections. The party was said to be opting for other less capital intensive campaign strategies to deal with the challenge. Although a member of the party’s Board of Trustees, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu dismissed insinuations that the party is in financial trouble. The writing on the wall is clear for all to see. The APC which in past organised campaigns that draw mammoth crowds has struggled to repeat such feat .While President Jonathan with endless source of cash continues to travel round the country building his fan base. Buhari on the other hand has to lay low, aware of his limited source of cash. This has also hurt Buhari’s popularity to a large degree.

4.PDP Has Few Weeks To Plot Buhari’s Defeat
While the All Progressive Congress (APC) might have ran out of breath, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) appears to be perfecting plans to ensure that victory on March 28 is certain. This explains President Jonathan’s recent visit to the Yoruba traditional rulers who have unequivocally vowed their support to the president. In a country where integrity is scarce, the poll shift might have also have given the PDP ample time to plant people in strategic positions to ensure that the party emerges victorious on March 28. Truth be told, the APC which seemed to have the edge before the election postponement is now struggling to catch up with the PDP. Within the next few weeks the euphoria that surrounds Buhari might have disappeared, giving Jonathan a clear edge over his rival.

5.APC Has Lost Momentum
APC has lost the element of surprise. Prior to February 14, the APC was the party to beat, with rallies drawing mammoth crowds all over the country, the momentum of the APC was at a crescendo. But With the rescheduling of the general elections the party has yet to gain the kind of moral it previously had. Like Femi Aribisala noted on Scam news : “The six week postponement of the election has effectively crippled the APC. It is no wonder then that the party has been grumbling non-stop. In the meantime, PDP has been able to get a full measure of the APC. Putting all its eggs in the 14th February date, which it insisted cannot and must not be changed; the APC played all its cards. It put all its eggs in one basket. However, PDP held some in reserve, banking on the postponement of the election.”

It seems the party threw all its weight behind the February 14 elections, now the ego of the party has been hurt by the poll shift. The APC appears to have ran out of ideas. This might be an explanation for Buhari’s recent trip to London and his speech at the Chatham House. A public relations stunt meant to buy out time for the party to re-strategise and come out smoking. But while Buhari is in London giving public talks in a foreign country, President Jonathan is spreading his popularity by visiting troops battling Boko Haram and building his fan base ahead of March 28 poll. This has indeed giving Jonathan a boost ahead of Buhari.

I would have liked to see a close contest between PDP and APC, but the poll shift has already given PDP an advantage. What do you think, can Buhari still gain the momentum he had before the elections were postponed?

CULLED FROM NAIJ.COM

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by temitemi1(m): 7:31am On Mar 02, 2015
GEJ till 2019!!!

4 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Bright4(m): 7:32am On Mar 02, 2015
The returned of GMB will surely surprise everybody including PDP itself.
Bcoz if d present of GMB can make a sitting president dt is not serious for 6yrs, to b more active under 6weeks, bet me, affairs of Nigeria within a year under general, will be a blessing.

11 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Bright4(m): 7:33am On Mar 02, 2015
Pure madness is when you manage to charge ur phone with ur nebo's gen and return to ur dark room to tweet PDP. I have decided to march4change.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by benuejosh: 7:40am On Mar 02, 2015
nothing has changed, buhari is still leading in popularity.meanwhile, as for me and my house we shall vote Gen M Buhari

9 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Ikpewe: 7:43am On Mar 02, 2015
I KNEW THAT FAILBOOHARI WAS ONLY A MYTH. GEJ TILL Buhari PWIGHT THIEFNIBU,BABOON,ADAMS ASHAMEOLE, BABA TUNDE RASHES FASHOLA, LIE MOHAMMED, CHEIF DRIVER OF APC,MIDGET HELL IS FIRE ETC KWARUPSION CASES.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Yukov(m): 7:46am On Mar 02, 2015
I think Op is living in an underground cos where I am, Buhari's popularity is increasing day by day even The first word the babies are learning here is sai Buhari. And besides, why won't it be increasing when the likes of Fayose, Madam peace and Co are campaigning for him. Stop this Cheap propaganda and let's face reality. Buhari will win this election with a landslide victory. GMB/PYO 2015

8 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by kodded(m): 8:02am On Mar 02, 2015
Bright4:
Pure madness is when you manage to charge ur phone with ur nebo's gen and return to ur dark room to tweet PDP. I have decided to march4change.
stupidity is when you pass through lagos ibadan expreSs way without the fear of accindent accident and you shout sai buhari

3 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Bifwoli: 8:05am On Mar 02, 2015
Anything to sink Failbuhari is welcome.

Let GMB sink into the atlantic.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by kodded(m): 8:07am On Mar 02, 2015
[s]
Yukov:
I think Op is living in an underground cos where I am, Buhari's popularity is increasing day by day even The first word the babies are learning here is sai Buhari. And besides, why won't it be increasing when the likes of Fayose, Madam peace and Co are campaigning for him. Stop this Cheap propaganda and let's face reality. Buhari will win this election with a landslide victory. GMB/PYO 2015
[/s]
Landslide kor
Waterslide ni ?

Lot of people in ma area are now questioning the true agenda of apc because of their lies
Even check nairaland a lot of then have de camp

The truth is apc are the one making him to be unpopular cause when you have the likes of tinubu, ameachi and atiku behind you, there will be a lot of question ask
And the legendary lie Mohammed spreading false info and propaganda why willnt people go back to jonah ?

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Yukov(m): 8:09am On Mar 02, 2015
kodded:
stupidity is when you pass through lagos ibadan expreSs way without seeing a pothole or accident and you shout sai buhari
insanity is when you pass through Ilorin Jebba road with potholes as deep as a Well and accidents everywhere and you still dey shout Gej till 2019.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by fowowe411: 8:10am On Mar 02, 2015
Bright4:
Bcoz if d present of GMB can make a sitting president dt is not serious for 6yrs, to b more active under 6weeks, bet me, affairs of Nigeria within a year under general, will be a blessing.
hmmmmmm okay lets wait and see

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by kodded(m): 8:13am On Mar 02, 2015
Yukov:
insanity is when you pass through Ilorin Jebba road with potholes as deep as a Well and accidents everywhere and you still dey shout Gej till 2019.
illiteracy. Is when you enter the train and still ask what has he done ?

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by fowowe411: 8:15am On Mar 02, 2015
benuejosh:
nothing has changed, buhari is still leading in popularity.meanwhile, as for me and my house we shall vote Gen M Buhari
i am not a politician but just a political observer,my brother if you study the polity since feb 15 the problem majority of people have against Gej especially in the south west revolves around boko haram and insecurities but in the past days people are begining to give gej a thought but some still remains steadfast .but do you honestly believe nothing has changed?

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by fowowe411: 8:16am On Mar 02, 2015
kodded:
You people will not kill me please march on gently it is monday morning!

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Yukov(m): 8:19am On Mar 02, 2015
kodded:
[s][/s]
Landslide kor
Waterslide ni ?

Lot of people in ma area are now questioning the true agenda of apc because of their lies
Even check nairaland a lot of then have de camp

The truth is apc are the one making him to be unpopular cause when you have the likes of tinubu, ameachi and atiku behind you, there will be a lot of question ask
And the legendary lie Mohammed spreading false info and propaganda why willnt people go back to jonah ?
Lol. so when you have the legendary Jagaban on your side that will make you unpopular? And when Tinubu supported Jonathan back in 2011 he made him lose election and unpopular?? when it comes to spreading cheap lies and propaganda I think that's what you and dem doyin, ffk, reno and Co does best.
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Yukov(m): 8:23am On Mar 02, 2015
kodded:
Absurdity is when you are in a train coach as old as my grandpa and you still called that transformation.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by kodded(m): 8:29am On Mar 02, 2015
Yukov:
Absurdity is when you are in a train coach as old as my grandpa and you still called that transformation.
foolishness is when you realize buhari stop the railway lines ands you still support him

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by benuejosh: 8:34am On Mar 02, 2015
fowowe411:
i am not a politician but just a political observer,my brother if you study the polity since feb 15 the problem majority of people have against Gej especially in the south west revolves around boko haram and insecurities but in the past days people are begining to give gej a thought but some still remains steadfast .but do you honestly believe nothing has changed?
i didnt call you a politician, however i respect your opinion. as for the issue of things changing, most nigerians are aware of the politics play with the issue of boko haram on the lives of nigerian. and the noise making of the so called aides of the president. if you are opportuned or changed carry out a research by conducting a free and fair poll of who the people want to be their president and you will discover that nigerians still hold buhari and the apc in high esteem.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Yukov(m): 8:41am On Mar 02, 2015
kodded:
foolishness is when you realize buhari stop the railway lines ands you still support him
childishness is when you fail to understand that Shagari's government were in so much external debt and stopping the railway lines is one of the measures to save our economy. I rest my case.. Can't be arguing with you this early Monday morning
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Yukov(m): 8:42am On Mar 02, 2015
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Chiaka(f): 8:55am On Mar 02, 2015
Bright4:

I feel God is paying Buhari for what he did to Alh. Shehu Shagari, I just feel that way. I have a strong feeling he will also loose this time.!!!
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by kodded(m): 9:02am On Mar 02, 2015
Stupidity is when you realize past leaders dint bother to revive the railway
Yukov:
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Ikpewe: 9:03am On Mar 02, 2015
Yukov:
pls re u insane? a normal human can't say this "potholes as deep as a well and accidents everywhere" well? accidents everywhere? GOSH SOME PEOPLE ARE HIGHLY HYPONISE THAT THE DON'T KNOW THEIR LEFT FROM RIGHT.
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Yukov(m): 9:12am On Mar 02, 2015
Ikpewe:
pls re u insane? a normal human can't say this "potholes as deep as a well and accidents everywhere" well? accidents everywhere? GOSH SOME PEOPLE ARE HIGHLY HYPONISE THAT THE DON'T KNOW THEIR LEFT FROM RIGHT.
I can see (HYPONISE) .... You are just a boy I need not respond to. please go back home for proper breastfeeding.
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 02, 2015
The day the elections was postponed is the day buhari lost the election!
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by kodded(m): 10:25am On Mar 02, 2015
Yukov:
childishness is when you fail to understand that Shagari's government were in so much external debt and stopping the railway lines is one of the measures to save our economy. I rest my case.. Can't be arguing with you this early Monday morning
then stop complaining about the so call old school locomotive railway line
Cause of buhari dint stop it form time
Jonathan would have commission the electric speed train

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by onatisi(m): 11:12am On Mar 02, 2015
frontpage pls
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Kingspin(m): 11:17am On Mar 02, 2015
Media popularity for that matter not even an agenda or better plan agenda. They just want to break the gate to aso rock. Thieves.
Re: 5 Ways Election Postponement Reduced Buhari's Popularity by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 11:43am On Mar 02, 2015
very soon you will see the drastic increase again

(1) (Reply)

Abia : Governorship Candidate,otti Spends Millions On His 22 Year Girl Friend / The Most Corrupt Politician In Nigeria / Buhari Leads Vanguard Newspaper's Presidential Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.