Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan (914 Views)

D'banj Sued Over N100M Debt / Kunle Afolayan On Vacation In London With His Daughters(photos) / Kunle Afolayan And Omotola Jalade Chilling In LA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by Sijioke(m): 7:12pm On Mar 05, 2015
Coming from a family where art (theatre/film) was a as good as a staple, it would seem Kunle Afolayan had no excuse not to become a successful actor or filmmaker. But life’s lessons have shown many times that success is a deliberate choice and not automatic, no matter whose child you are.
Born September 30, 1974, to the famous theatre/film director and producer, Adeyemi Afolayan ‘aka Ade Love’, Kunle Afolayan had planned to be where he is today. To become a distinguished filmmaker, director and an actor were among his goals all along.
His production outfit, Golden Effects Pictures was incorporated in 2005 as a film production company and in the last 10 years, Afolayan has produced four multiple award-winning movies: Irapada (2006), The Figurine: Araromire(2009), Phone Swap (2012), and October 1(2014).
In this exclusive chat with NET, he talks about Golden Effects’ 10th anniversary coming up this year, his plans for 2015, details about his new projects, and also drops a subtle hint on who he will be supporting in the forthcoming elections.
You stated while picking up an award at AFRIFF 2014 that you intend to recover your investment onOctober 1fully. How well is that going at the moment?
I would say it is going well, although we haven’t recouped the money. One can really not expect to recover such a huge investment in such a short time. The film was released barely six months ago, and I think we are on course as the film has already bagged a distribution deal that extends beyond the shores of Africa, which I believe will go a long way in helping to recoup this investment.
30 Days in Atlanta recently broke Ije’s long-standing highest-earning box office record and October 1 follows closely behind at number four. Do you see your movie overtaking30 Days in Atlantain the near future?
For me, it’s really not about just one platform. The Nigerian cinema box office is one platform, but there are so many other platforms around the world. There are some films that will do well in this territory but would not do well in other territories. I make films that will do well in any and every territory.
Because of the genre and length of my films, most times, they don’t get high slots in cinemas as compared to other films that aren’t that lengthy. And most times, my films are rated 18 and above, which makes them unsuitable for viewing by minors and that also reduces the potential of your box office returns. But like I said, I make films for the international audience. What we have made from October 1 in Nigeria so far is more than N100m, but it is not just from cinema box office. We did private screenings, and we’ve done screenings on other platforms. There is really no competition. 30 Days in Atlanta is a highly commercial film and I’m glad that it has done so well in the cinemas as this will give a lot of people encouragement to do similar projects.
Your movies can best be described as timeless, yet entertaining, and your only commercial film till date isPhone Swap. Is that an intentional pattern in your choice of projects?
Well, I’ll say it’s not intentional really; I’ll call it a coincidence or fate, because most of these scripts were not prepared in advance or pre-planned to follow this pattern. I’ve never had long-term script plan. Most times these scripts and ideas come and I put my all into executing them, and at the end of the day it turns out that way.
Someone asked me recently why I always do sad stories; even the project I’m working on presently is a sad story (laughs). The person asked if I am a sad person, and I said no, but maybe it’s because I think a lot. For me, life is never about happy endings. We watch movies and always expect the hero not to die and all that. Of course, sometimes we do that just to encourage some people and give them hope; which I still do in some of my projects. But most times I try to tend towards reality, and I try to deal more with facts of life. These projects come and we just execute them.
source:
http://thenet.ng/2015/02/weve-made-over-n100m-with-october-1-in-6months-kunle-afolayan/

Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by GboyegaD(m): 7:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
Happy for him however, he should watch his words. There is no need saying he makes his films for international audience, that to me exhibits pride.

1 Like

Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by temitemi1(m): 7:53pm On Mar 05, 2015
Nice one bro!
Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 05, 2015
That is amazingly amazing...we are now having better nollywood movies,have recently watched 3 different nollywood movies including the one produced by AY the comedian and I must say that I was impressed with the movies and I must confess that nollywood is now improving and they can still do better...
Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 05, 2015
Nigerians are doing well now in the entertainment industry. What a better way to bring in good foreign exchange. God bless Nigeria.

#TeamNeverAgain. ........................................buy 1GB MTN Data plan for N1,200 only. 30 days duration. Works in all devices (Andriod/iPhone, Phone or Modem). 24/7 services available. Also Convert Airtime to Cash (20% Processing Fee). Call: 08107873795. Thanks & God bless.
Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by JEITO: 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
Naso dem go dey quote big figures yet dem go dey wonder why robbers dey trail dem
Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by Sijioke(m): 10:02am On Mar 06, 2015
am happy for him o.
Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by Airforce1(m): 10:04am On Mar 06, 2015
hard work pays
Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 06, 2015
whr d alaba boys ooo....una dey sleep? grin grin
Re: We have made Over N100m With October 1 In 6months’ – Kunle Afolayan by chyket(m): 10:27am On Mar 06, 2015
Nice one!!!But always mind your words when things are not going your way,because every problem has an expiry date.
A few months ago this same Producer was threatening to dump Nigeria and relocate abroad because one of his films was not doing well.
Patience is key.Congrats

(1) (Reply)

When Money Talks.. / OMG!!! I Just Saw My Celebrity Crush...#faints# / Angelina Jolie Explains Why She Removed Organ After Taking Off Breasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.